• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Curtain Rises! The Masters Tournament!! (1204)

xtroDe

Considering how the Gmax didn’t even do much because Chesnaught stalled it out, you could even make the argument that Leon didn’t even need any mechanic here to win. Insane lol.

By the way, I kinda wished they would’ve given Leon’s Rillaboom it’s HA, having grassy terrain to give his team that healing effect would’ve been an interesting add on to his strategy.
that was most likely the intention, it was all to prop up leon LEAGUES above alain

most likely writers brought alain as a point of reference for leon's power level, and while they did make it clear, the animation and the episode being rushed made the episode very... mid.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
The champions and Alain probably decimated their opponents and got more points while Ash struggled in most of his battles before winning anyways.

DayQuil95

Not how it works from Ultra Class onwards. Whatever Ash does has no bearing on when he receives his scheduled matches.

Let's just face it, there's some behind-the-scenes capitalism involved.
Raihan, fearing that Ash would take Leon from him, rigged the Ultra Class so that Ash would take longer to get into, but ultimately failed and is now breaking entire buildings with his punches in sheer anger.

RafaSceptile

Raihan, fearing that Ash would take Leon from him, rigged the Ultra Class so that Ash would take longer to get into, but ultimately failed and is now breaking entire buildings with his punches in sheer anger.
He should be focusing on promote to rank 7 instead

Kage-Pikachu

i really wish this tournament was the master's 16. it sucks that allain and iris will have 0 victories on screen during the series. I am proud of Iris for not only bouncing back from her loss to Ash but making it ahead of him in the Master's 8. I think she deserves at least one on screen victory...

lol same with the other champions. i wish some elite 4 members had shown up more often like Lucian and Bruno. and i want a rematch between Ash and Lorelei (why Prima?! come on stupid dub...).

oh well, i could wish all day hehe

I don't think Ash vs Drasna was bad, the visuals were good, it's no more unrealistic than grovyle managing to defeat Norman despite being on the losing end the entire fight or Pikachu stalemating Latios despite using moves that caused reduced damage on him (on top of Light Screen).

KukuiFanatic501

Now that I think about it for a minute, wouldn’t Alain and Charizard be sort of rusty compared to their performance in XY? Besides the fact that we don’t know when Alain got himself a new mega stone between XY and JN, if he became Sycamores lab assistant again since then, then wouldn’t it make some amount of sense to say that Alain hasn’t gotten to battle much to become a whole lot stronger?

And I’m not suggesting this to try and make excuses for Leon casual stomping him but rather have it make some level of sense.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
FInally got to watch the episode
Nothing to complain about the pre-battle part, it was cool but I wish we could have seen more interactions between Ash and Alain. It was pretty cool to see Ash excited about Charizard though. Almost every Iris scene was amazing too!
As for the battle, it actually started out fine, but it went downhill after Alainzard oneshot Rillaboom. The rest made Trip's Serperior look tanky even if the battle scenes were kinda cool.

But tl;dr Alain was completely wasted in this tournament. I can understand he not battling Ash and even being "fed" to Leon, but his treatment in this episode was pretty much disrespectful. The Sycamore scenes look even too much compared to the rest
But I'm still somewhat hopeful for the rest of the tournament, more than most people here at least. I will be more disappointed if the Ash battles are that bad

Now that I think about it for a minute, wouldn’t Alain and Charizard be sort of rusty compared to their performance in XY? Besides the fact that we don’t know when Alain got himself a new mega stone between XY and JN, if he became Sycamores lab assistant again since then, then wouldn’t it make some amount of sense to say that Alain hasn’t gotten to battle much to become a whole lot stronger?

And I’m not suggesting this to try and make excuses for Leon casual stomping him but rather have it make some level of sense.
They are still rank 6 in the whole tournament

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
And regardless of how many times it will be explained, I will not stop complaining. This is the same Charizard that took a Precipice Blades from Primal Groudon, Dragon Ascent from Mega Rayquaza, Land's Wrath and Dragon Pulse from 50% Zygarde, and speaking of said Zygarde, Charizard shot a Flamethrower so powerful that he blasted him into a wall IN BASE FORM. And you better get used to my complaining, because we're on a 3 week break.
Meanwhile, Leon and his zard were unceremoniously one shoted by a dragon who becomes an ovni.

Anyway, kinda love how everyone in the Masters Tournament is dressed so formal and important, while Ash looks like ready to jogging or something.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness

He can‘t be rusty if he managed to qualify for the Master 8

Looking back and seeing that poster of the Masters 8 , it makes me ask myself these questions:

-Why bring Alain back if he's not even going to interact with Ash?

-Why waste a slot on another Overrated Orange lizard?

-What you want most in something as important as a world championship is diversity, so why leave another Charizard that looks like a dragon and Leon already has one?

-Speaking of Dragon-like creatures, we have Haxorus, Garch, Charizard, Charizard, and Gyarados, if you like dragons so much then add Zinnia with another Pseudo-legendary like Salamence...not Alain . You kill three birds with one stone (there would be 50% women, another Pseudolegendary, diversity and also another Mega )

-heck if you don't like Zinnia why not bring Brandon with some Regi taking advantage of the fact that in the previous episode they were promoting the Regis, Tobias or Flint? If we are not going to see Ash's Infernape fight, it would be nice to see an Infernape among the 8 masters.

It just seems like the writers don't think these things through.