• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Curtain Rises! The Masters Tournament!! (1204)

Alilatias

Simple Bard
So I just had a random thought, Ash is probably the only trainer in the entire group to have extensively traveled to each region that the competitors hail from.

I bring this up because he knows about Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, AND Dynamax. And he will fight in 3 battles. How likely would it be that he would actually use all three of these in his fights, and in what order considering he can only pick one per fight?

Ash VS Leon is obviously going to end in a Gigantmax duel, and Lucario's going to Mega Evolve for sure against one of the earlier opponents. Which means assuming Ash thinks to use all three equally, exactly which Pokemon uses the Z-move is up in the air (and most likely not going to be used by Pikachu).

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Ash VS Leon is obviously going to end in a Gigantmax duel
I believe otherwise. Ash simply doesn't care about G-Max Pikachu (less so when it was used as a fat joke the last time we saw it) because he seems to dislike slow speed and will surely keep using his Z-Crystal against Leon. Lucario has Mega Evolution and the weird Super Saiyan **** that the writers couldn't turn into Mega Ash-Lucario, and Gengar has G-Max.

I believe otherwise. Ash simply doesn't care about G-Max Pikachu (less so when it was used as a fat joke the last time we saw it) because he seems to dislike slow speed and will surely keep using his Z-Crystal against Leon. Lucario has Mega Evolution and the weird Super Saiyan **** that the writers couldn't turn into Mega Ash-Lucario, and Gengar has G-Max.
It is Mega Ash-Lucario

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
If Ash wins this tournament it should be the end of his story.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Hop was admittedly kind of annoying here, #NOTMYHOP.

Seriously though, I thought it was a good enough episode for what it wanted to do. The Masters Eight introductions were hype, and I loved seeing all the Champions interact and have fun with each other. All of the Ash and Iris interactions were super cute, as was Iris asking Cynthia and Diantha for a picture. Iris is always the highlight, as expected.

Loved seeing Mairin again, and as like….really uncharacteristic of Alain it was for him to not smile back at Ash (genuinely such a strange decision; makes their dynamic seem completely different from what it actually is), I was glad to see him back. I really loved those two back in the XY days.

All those reactions from Ash and Pikachu and even Go when he cheered on Iris were very cute. When Ash mentioned battling Alain’s Charizard so many times it was like yeah….that’s not even the half of it

The battle was eh. Journeys animation is always very stiff and slow but it’s always juxtaposed with breakneck pacing, and no exception here. Though there was some nice tidbits of animation like Charizard catching Malimar and the mega shinka part (missed hearing that). Alain went out sad I have to say, no matter your opinion on him it just doesn’t seem feasible for X to not land more hits on Charizard. Like no one was expecting him to win, but to get washed that quickly, even by Leon, seemed disrespectful.

Wished there was an actual interaction between Alain and Ash, I was expecting at least something but what we got was arguably worse than not even acknowledging each other could’ve been. Just a very middling situation there unfortunately. Hopefully Diantha vs Lance is much better

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Truth be told only the Diantha battle will tell how much Leon could be pushed as we already know that Ash will push or beat him.

Was he simply not taking Alain serious or is he just that strong

His Charizard is the only one who needs to be "pushed" when you think about it.

Everything about Leon screams Alain 2.0 right now to me, because he's only used his Charizard to win official battles up till now, Just like how alain was mostly a 1 man band with his Charizard back in kalos, sure Leon's third revealed team member here got a knock out with boosts, but it was still quickly beaten just the same by Alain's Charizard before mega evolving, and we've yet to see Dragapult used in an official battle capacity.

Still, it's that one pokemon that you need to figure out more than anything, cause it wouldn't surprise me if diantha knocks out other pokemon he has.

DayQuil95

We aren't saying Alain should've won, literally no one thought that was happening. What we're saying is he should've put up a much better fight, especially considering his feats in the Mega Evolution Specials along with that episode where he battled Zygarde.
I know very well what you mean, I'm joking about how this thread got to like 50 pages in an extraordinary amount of time, like the Kalos league episode. The joke couldn't be clearer here.

DayQuil95

His Charizard is the only one who needs to be "pushed" when you think about it.

Everything about Leon screams Alain 2.0 right now to me, because he's only used his Charizard to win official battles up till now, Just like how alain was mostly a 1 man band with his Charizard back in kalos, sure Leon's third revealed team member here got a knock out with boosts, but it was still quickly beaten just the same by Alain's Charizard before mega evolving, and we've yet to see Dragapult used in an official battle capacity.

Still, it's that one pokemon that you need to figure out more than anything, cause it wouldn't surprise me if diantha knocks out other pokemon he has.
To be fair, that's true for the entire Masters 8. Every M8 member up to this point has been shown to rely mostly on their ace when it comes to getting a W, even Cynthia and Iris, whose other Pokemon weren't really impressive. The only M8 member that might have focus on his non-ace Pokemon in the first round is going to most likely be Ash, and that's for obvious reasons.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
To be fair, that's true for the entire Masters 8. Every M8 member up to this point has been shown to rely mostly on their ace when it comes to getting a W, even Cynthia and Iris, whose other Pokemon weren't really impressive. The only M8 member that might have focus on his non-ace Pokemon in the first round is going to most likely be Ash, and that's for obvious reasons.

I mean i'd argue that Lance's Hydreigon, Diantha's Gourgeist, Iris Excadrill, and Cynthia's Milotic all put in some good work too cause I thought they were all used impressively, and no I don't care about Excadrill using horn drill either(don't get why people are against this), if you can learn something, use it and destroy the enemy by any means necessary.

The thing is, Leon is the guy they've come to beat, if he's supposed to be this untouchable beast as he's been portrayed, then ALL of his pokemon should be that way, not just one pokemon alone.

The fact his third revealed pokemon got taken out in one strike with boosts, but Alain's Charizard in base form by one hit, that's enough of a chink to prove he's not as all mighty as we think.

That also shows me he's pretty much the same one man show Alain was, and I don't think the world's strongest trainer should only have 1 extremely powerful pokemon, with the rest of his team being mediocre. that's not a good balance.

Maybe his upcoming match with Diantha will change my mind and his other pokemon can put in some impressive work, but until then that's just how I see him because that's how things have been up to this point.

DayQuil95

I mean i'd argue that Lance's Hydreigon, Diantha's Gourgeist, Iris Excadrill, and Cynthia's Milotic all put in some good work too cause I thought they were all used impressively, and no I don't care about Excadrill using horn drill either(don't get why people are against this), if you can learn something, use it and destroy the enemy by any means necessary.

The thing is, Leon is the guy they've come to beat, if he's supposed to be this untouchable beast as he's been portrayed, then ALL of his pokemon should be that way, not just one pokemon alone.

The fact his third revealed pokemon got taken out in one strike with boosts, but Alain's Charizard in base form by one hit, that's enough of a chink to prove he's not as all mighty as we think.

That also shows me he's pretty much the same one man show Alain was, and I don't think the world's strongest trainer should only have 1 extremely powerful pokemon, with the rest of his team being mediocre. that's not a good balance.

Maybe his upcoming match with Diantha will change my mind and his other pokemon can put in some impressive work, but until then that's just how I see him because that's how things have been up to this point.
That's fair, I just mean that when it comes to relative strength, the other champions also have their teams mostly weak-looking in comparison to their aces, it's just that Leon's ace is so far ahead of everything that his other team members seem weak in comparison when in reality it took Alain his ace to finish Rillaboom. But yeah, I see what you mean, and it's pretty valid with all that in mind.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
That's fair, I just mean that when it comes to relative strength, the other champions also have their teams mostly weak-looking in comparison to their aces, it's just that Leon's ace is so far ahead of everything that his other team members seem weak in comparison when in reality it took Alain his ace to finish Rillaboom. But yeah, I see what you mean, and it's pretty valid with all that in mind.

you made some fair points too.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Quick, someone say Alain should have won so we can get this thread to surpass Down To The Fiery Finish!
Not going to lie, I'd much rather Alain had won. It'd make the final battle a lot more satisfying since we'd finally get the revenge for Kalos League with Ash winning + the bonus of becoming world champion as opposed to just winner of a regional league