• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Curtain Rises! The Masters Tournament!! (1204)

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
This is exactly why Leon shouldn't have been a part of the M8 in the first place.

He's the defending Champion, should have just waited until someone reached the finals to fight him. Instead we get to see already established unbeatable trainer beating everyone in his path until he faces Ash. How ridiculous.
Exactly. Why do we need to see him crashing our loved characters like that? Cruel

AARTX

Dead inside…
No it's not, Leon's just that strong

It's a shame it wasn't done better, but I'm a bottom-line kind of guy and what I just saw was the abject demolition of Alain, who is the character at the centre of the worst decision ever made by the writers.

It's by no means an all-time great battle, but it was a richly satisfying result. Could have been moreso, if it was Ash doing the business or the battle was longer, but whatever - may that Megazard never battle again. Farewell, and don't let the door hit you on the way out
He should completely replace his Charizard’s skillset back to scratch leer and tail whip while he’s at it LMAO

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
Oh yes, to add insult to injury, there's going to be a 2-week slot hijack break after such a bad episode...

... only to return to what looks like a half-effort production in the next one, if the episode's animation and preview is anything to go by. Granted, I doubt anything can be worse than today's battle but then again, JN staff have been known to surpass expectations negatively.
Sorry but JN defenders y’all gonna have to sit this out. There is no defending this. This episode was a mess. There was nothing good about that battle. We get this is your series but no
*angry UnovaMaster noises*

TheNewGuy

See, THIS is why I wanted them to bring back Tobias instead of Alain...Can't believe we have to wait two weeks for a potentially good battle.

In fairness seeing Darkrai and then Latios get the s*** kicked out of them as Alain just was would also have been richly satisfying, but I'll take this too

Fernsday

So the Alain that held his own against Steven and proceeded to continue getting stronger training for the Kalos League and would logically be stronger right now gets one shot by Leon’s base Charizard? The same Charizard that took a super effective Land’s Wrath from fcking Zygarde? It’s one thing to present a character as the strongest, it’s another to basically have them fodderise to the point where it’s downright stupid. It seems the writers are going so out of their way to present Leon as invincible this episode to the disservice of Alain lmao, like MCX putting up a really good fight against base Charizard would’ve been plausible and also still make Leon look strong as he isn’t using any mechanic, even Flint put up a better fight, add to the awful animation and pacing which Journeys as a whole has had an issue with for most of the series and you get: Trash that’s worse than Drake’s new album that released today. I really liked the interactions with Iris, the nod of acknowledgement with Alain, TR was okay, that’s all the positives I can say for this episode. Hop being introduced this late into the series was just completely wasted potential as well, he could’ve very well been a Project Mew member from the get-go to reflect him eventually wanting to study Pokémon or hell even one of Ash’s rivals but alas, that would be too much to expect from a messy series like Journeys

I mean like Alain was fighting *the* strongest trainer in the world

He wasn't even able to beat his home region's champion

What did you expect, every battle ending with 1 pokemon standing is redundant
We literally have no idea if Alain even battled Diantha. This is like how Cynthia fans like to pretend that Tobias 100% confirmed lost to Cynthia because she was Champion in BW.

TheNewGuy

So the Alain that held his own against Steven and proceeded to continue getting stronger training for the Kalos League and would logically be stronger right now gets one shot by Leon’s base Charizard? The same Charizard that took a super effective Land’s Wrath from fcking Zygarde? It’s one thing to present a character as the strongest, it’s another to basically have them fodderise to the point where it’s downright stupid. It seems the writers are going so out of their way to present Leon as invincible this episode to the disservice of Alain lmao, like MCX putting up a really good fight against base Charizard would’ve been plausible and also still make Leon look strong as he isn’t using any mechanic, even Flint put up a better fight, add to the awful animation and pacing which Journeys as a whole has had an issue with for most of the series and you get: Trash that’s worse than Drake’s new album that released today. I really liked the interactions with Iris, the nod of acknowledgement with Alain, TR was okay, that’s all the positives I can say for this episode. Hop being introduced this late into the series was just completely wasted potential as well, he could’ve very well been a Project Mew member from the get-go to reflect him eventually wanting to study Pokémon or hell even one of Ash’s rivals but alas, that would be too much to expect from a messy series like Journeys

Again, MCX was not OHKOd.

I'm not defending the execution of the battle but there are established facts that we should stick to if we're going to talk about it

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Leon is already established as the strongest, why did the writers find it necessary to put him in the M8 in the first place?

They should have:
1) Kept Leon as the Champion defending his title, waiting at the top for someone to reach him
2) Replaced Leon's spot with a more interesting candidate
3) Let Ash fight Alain instead because that actually make some narrative sense and would be more enjoyable probably

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
I'm just enjoying the predicted fallout of Alain becoming the new Trevor. As I said before, if Alain doesn't fight Ash at all in Master 8 (and we all know he'll lose since finals is always Leon vs Ash), his whole reputation as this uber badass (and undefeated) trainer of XY is gonna come crashing down.

I do wonder if it'll be enough to see Memetic Loser entry for Alain on TV Tropes. I'm waiting to see... :cool:

Fernsday

Again, MCX was not OHKOd.

I'm not defending the execution of the battle but there are established facts that we should stick to if we're going to talk about it
My point still stands. Oh my bad, a portion of Ancient Power and Dragon Pulse. It really doesn’t change anything lmao

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Ahem

Really about Alain, they really should of formulated this how they did with Showcases and the Master Class and have Leon simply defend his title instead of throwing him in predictable matches. Making it more similar with Aria and Serena. Having him participate kinda takes the lore away because now you have him and Ash who both have punching bags already set when Leon could of just battled the last opponent aka winner of the tournament

Vichoo

I forgot to mention, but it's my idea or when Ash makes the gesture to Alan, does he look at him wrong?

TheNewGuy

Exactly. Why do we need to see him crashing our loved characters like that? Cruel

Alain winning here would have been an interesting way to throw off the narrative shackles, but once it became clear that wasn't happening, the alternative was that Alain loses horrifically, and that's what happened. You might love Alain but I sure as hell don't - I am still bitter about the way the Kalos league was handled, and I am absolutely delighted to see him go down. Moreso than I thought I would be.