• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Dark Meowth is Alolan Meowth!? (1005)

Shotgunrain

Somehow though, Alolan Meowth knew that lifting Mimikyu's cloth would spell death, so he did it on purpose to 'kill' TR's Meowth. How does a random wild Pokemon know such a fact?

Well, Nanu is affiliated with Acerola. Acerola has a Mimikyu. So...hmm...

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
btw, the omake explained A meowth got to kanto with meowth's savings (how those could afford a ticket? IDK, maybe they managed to sell lots of malasadas after the AF arc or working for faba had a good pay, maybe the tickets are just cheap, IDK)

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
Now that was a fantastic Team Rocket episode. Jessie, James & Meowth shine when they're completely in character. I'm really glad Sun & Moon restored them after the awful BW brainwash & XY's bland attitude.

The ending was brilliant and I hope that Meowth becomes a recurring character now.

It was an amazing surprise to hear Giovanni's OS theme being remixed. Too bad the dub will replace it with their usual garbage.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Now that was a fantastic Team Rocket episode. Jessie, James & Meowth shine when they're completely in character. I'm really glad Sun & Moon restored them after the awful BW brainwash & XY's bland attitude.

The ending was brilliant and I hope that Meowth becomes a recurring character now.

It was an amazing surprise to hear Giovanni's OS theme being remixed. Too bad the dub will replace it with their usual garbage.

I wouldn't say that they were completely in character. Meowth crying over the ice cream and Jessie and James not noticing that that Meowth sn't their Meowth were a bit off.

DatsRight

I'm interested by a lot of details that might come into play later on.

Apparently TR Meowth fully intends to use the Darkium Z when they get a Z Ring, despite Jessie's claims he'd be unable to.

Also A Meowth claims it intends to usurp Giovanni's Persian. One thing I noticed this series is right off the bat we were shown how much Meowth hated Giovanni's Persian, while Litten had it's own scuffle with the Alolan form. I wonder if this is foreshadowing a future plot (I suspect Meowth might consider Persian the lesser of two evils as Giovanni's 'top cat', in spite of his envy, it's smug at worst, while A Meowth takes perverse pleasure making Meowth's life hell).

Last edited:

Zyar

Unknown Member
Well, I was hoping for something different (a more emotional episode. I'm a sucker for those), but I still found this interesting and pretty enjoyable. And some unexpected things happened (at least for me).

-Reappearance of Team Rocket's Dark Z-Crystal (it took more than 30 episodes for it to be brought up again. 30... talk about unresolved plotlines).
-Jessie and James learn they need a true Z-Ring to use Z-Moves and the pose for the dark-type move (although James seemed to recognize it when he saw it, maybe he did more research after the end of episode 25?)
-Alolan Meowth ending up in Team Rocket's HQ with Giovanni and Matori.

And a little part of me is glad Jessie and James never considered kicking their Meowth out of the team replacing and him with Alolan Meowth (as I had been led to believe from the spoiler thread). It's small but it shows character development, where in other series like AG and DP, they would've tried to do it. Sure, they were amazed at the Alolan Meowth and ignored Meowth's complaints but, as far as they knew, that was just him being jealous. They never seemed to realize Alolan Meowth was being so mean to Meowth.

I loved the TRio's interactions with their Pokémon (if you're not going to give me bonding moments between Jessie, James and Meowth, at least give me bonding moments between James/Mareanie and Jessie/Mimikyu!!) and also the theme of this series where everyone has their Pokémon out of their balls 24/7. I guess that's an advantage of the characters staying put in one place instead of traveling.

It was cute when Jessie told both Meowth to fight too when they were facing the twerps and Kanto Meowth was all "I'll win"... uh, sure, against Pikachu, Meowth...

And about the Dark Z-Crystal, unless they're only going to use it once or not at all, I can only see it being used with Meowth or Bewear. Meowth wouldn't be strong enough to pull the Z-move as often as the TRio would like and I doubt Bewear would be willing to fight with them against Pikachu. That would provide a logical explanation to avoid them spamming their Z-move as much as they can.

Anyway, now I'll probably have to wait a year or two for another Meowth focus episode. *sigh*

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Speaking of the dub. Those who only watch the dub won't learn how Alolan Meowth got to Kanto as the reveal of it stealing Meowth's savings was in the post credits scene after the PokeProblem.

xEryChan

Demon Child
This episode was mehh to me. I felt it could have been a lot better.

Alolan Meowth was downright evil and I am one hundred percent here for it. I felt so bad for our Meowth through the episode.

At least TR know now that they need a Z-Ring to use the Darkium Z. Tbh, I completely forgot they even had that. It was good to see them mention they have it. Hopefully they will be able to use it at some point. Probably won’t happen but who knows.

Here we go with the stupid pitfall traps again. Everyone’s faces when Ash’s foot accidentally hit Turtantor’s shell was pretty also, I also found funny that Mimikyu was the one who freed Pikachu after TRio caught it. Of course Alolan Meowth abandoned them went things went south and Ash and Pikachu use the Electrium Z. Speaking of the Electrium Z, it’s great to see Ash and Pikachu use their Z Move again. It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Also,

Bewear can fly now. I am one hundred percent here for this. This bear is like Superman and watch it win the Alola Pokemon League.

I must admit, I was a little confused as to how Alolan Meowth got to Kanto in the first place but I’m glad they explained it at the end of the episode.

I give this episode a 7.5/10. It was alright episode. There were some things I enjoyed but I felt the episode could have been a lot better.

Daizy

I call you honey
I like episodes like this one where Meowth gets the screentime he deserves even at the cost of him being the rear of every joke. I hate Alolan Meowths with a passion so I can relate to Meowth's feelings of unease.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
OMG it's an Alolan Meowth episode! I've been waiting for this one!

LOL they think it's mud

Why did Meowth take so long to get the mud off?? Even returning to their base before doing so?

Another TR episode? We just had one 4 episodes ago

LOL! Meowth seeking out advice from Oranguru! I like Oranguru's role since its debut and the fact that unlike a lot of previous generations, POTD reappear

I like that Meowth alone asked WTP. is there any difference between their silhouettes?

I didn't expect the twerps to play more than a token appearance in this episode, so it was nice they were a big part of second half. Sick of TR-only (basically) episodes like 4 episodes ago

I got scared for a bit Alolan Meowth was going to be like Tyson's Meowth and be a Meowth who can beat Pikachu

Wow, the whole thing was a ploy by jessie and James. They knew about the two Meowth's bridge meetup

LOL AT MIMIKYU

Wow I'm stunned Alolan Meowth ended up at Kanto. This was not a filler at all.. And I didn't know Jessie had beef with matori

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I vividly remember the first time I heard Meowth's original JP voice. Instantly, I gained questions:

-What is this ****?
-Would it be less painful to fire a gun right next to my ears and induce tinnitus?
-Why did OLM think people would want to return to this voice every Thursday?
-Is that an embryo in my cochlea?
-Why is OLM doing nothing about this voice?
-Are they insane?
-Why hasn't it been classified as a torture device yet?
-Why do people think that voice is better than any of Meowth's other language voices?
-Can that voice be class-action sued for the babies it left in people's cochleas?
-Why?
-What?
-WHY?!

And the answers: an awful voice, yes, who knows, yes, I don't know, hell yes, I don't know, boy is that a mystery for the ages, God I hope so, don't know, don't know, don't know.

It's commonly known how much I hate that voice and consider it the biggest handicap of the JP version, even more so than the hack they have as the composer. I truly believe that anyone who can accomplish the impossible feat of liking that voice and not be even remotely hurt by it has no right to ever say anything else in the world is annoying or painful.

(I just can't hold those kinds of vulgarities back when going this deep into how much Meowth's JP voice is the worst thing ever. I mean no disrespect to anyone affected by such an awful thing as what I alluded to in questions 4 and 9.)

Now, about the episode...

So Meowth would actually leave Team Rocket over food, eh? So much for the testimony that their JP selves are better friends than they are in the dub. BULLSHIT!!!

It's official: for the first time since SM003, Meowth's near-death went uncensored. Don't really know why TPCi decided to let this one slide, but good for them.

It was neat that they got Pete Zarustica to be the Alola Meowth. He did great making that thing sound devious. I do wish he would've stayed with the TRio for just a bit longer before becoming the Secretary's. He was a great character and the best part of this episode.

All in all, this episode proves how much into the roles of TR Michele Knotz and James Carter Cathcart have grown. It's taken 11 years, but they've finally become better than the 4kids TR voices and have become my new definitive TR voices. Granted, it's not hard to do better than their JP voices, but I didn't think they'd end up better than their 4kids voices. 4kids still has the writing advantage, but it's nice to see TPCi gain another advantage of their own.

I didn't think a TR episode post-BW could be this good.

Speaking of the dub. Those who only watch the dub won't learn how Alolan Meowth got to Kanto as the reveal of it stealing Meowth's savings was in the post credits scene after the PokeProblem.

Not really something that vitally needed answering, really.

I'm with you on that XY problem. Even in the dub, they were bland in that saga. DP TR will always be the worst one, but though my favorite TR is BW TR, this episode convinces me to deem SM TR second-best. They're like an actually significant and not annoying version of DP TR.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Meowth going through TR's files made it seem like a policeman, also it seemed way too intelligent for a wild Mon, made me think it might belong to Nanu after all. Maybe it joining Giovanni is a large scale infiltration, a set up for a future international police VS Rocket arc.

That would be incredible.

he's the only OS character to not have caught a Pokemon in a special ball yet

wow what a stat!

i know right?

Why is this your only post in the history of this forum? What did you mean by it? I know you won't reply lol

So, is it safe to assume that Alola Meowth will show up whenever Giovanni does now?

Like in Gen 8, we'll be like "Remember alola forms?"

That's what I'm hoping for. Although, I kind of felt like it went with Matori more than Giovanni. Is it officially Giovanni's?

Yes, and we also didn't know how Ash and Professor Kukui dealt with the sand after Palossand collapsed on top of their house until I came to this thread and read it for that episode.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Yes, and we also didn't know how Ash and Professor Kukui dealt with the sand after Palossand collapsed on top of their house until I came to this thread and read it for that episode.
...Huh. You know, I actually didn't realize we even saw that in the Japanese version until you mentioned it... It only now occurs to me that I never saw the bonus stuff for that episode because when it first aired, the TV broadcast had cut that stuff out in order to fit in promotion for I Choose You instead. I always just took that ending as a bit of random nonsense that wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Which, I guess it still is, but at least now I know it's random nonsense that has a resolution.

Nodqfan

The only questions I have is did Team Rocket catch the Alolan Meowth offscreen and send it to HQ? Cause if not then how did it get there?

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
The only questions I have is did Team Rocket catch the Alolan Meowth offscreen and send it to HQ? Cause if not then how did it get there?
It stole the regular Meowth's savings and used those to buy a plane ticket.
No, really. That is what happened. It's in the post-episode skit that the dub annoyingly never includes.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator

It actually stole Meowth’s savings and bought a plane ticket to Kanto. That’s how it got to Kanto.

A lot of people who watch the dub won’t know since the dub doesn’t do the PokeProblem segment at the beginning and the end of the episode, where we learned how the Alolan Meowth got to Kanto.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Victorian Rush said:
It actually stole Meowth’s savings and bought a plane ticket to Kanto. That’s how it got to Kanto.

Which makes me despise the Alolan Nyasu even more. I sincerely wish that the Rocket-dan's Nyasu would get vengeance against his Alolan counterpart.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
A lot of people who watch the dub won’t know since the dub doesn’t do the PokeProblem segment at the beginning and the end of the episode, where we learned how the Alolan Meowth got to Kanto.

Said segment has never revealed anything vitally important. It's not like a main character caught a Pokemon or evolved one in one of those, so I don't see any problems.