• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Darkness Within(Advanceshipping Ash/May)

thesceptileaddict

the demon of the sea
wow...i never expected a love connection between Cresselia and Darkrai! Also that Cresselia and Ho-oh are weaken by an ecplise! Very creative, escpeccialy that April is now a ghost and still loves the king...........cant wait till next chapter ^_^

Every Heart

Happy Rival!
Longest chapter yet. Warning: cursing, the authors inability to write a really really good battle, and character "death" and that word is used quite loosely.

.:.Fifteen.:.

She wasn't sure when exactly she had fallen for the spectral spirit. It might have been when they had first came into being at the beginning of the universe and being introduced together by Arceus. Maybe it was how before humans came into existence she used to look across the islands, as if there was no amount of ocean separating them, and spot him, before they would both hastily look away. Maybe it was that starry night on a full moon when the two of them had chosen a spot in the middle of the ocean separating their islands to look up the stars and muse about the complexities of life.

But she knew when she had fallen out of love. When the humans came about and she had to heal countless victims of his nightmares. At first she had seen it as cruelty, but now she saw it as a will to live, as it was his life's work to do this. He had to feed off the power of the darkness within people's hearts and memories by extracting it through people's dreams. But if she had known this from the beginning, then maybe things wouldn't't have turned out this way. But then again, there was also the other one that had almost captured her heart.

She would remember how as she would bask in the sun, he would arrive, flashing his rainbow wings that sparkled in the sun. She would be captivated by it, but then she would look over at the island across from hers and remember that the occupant was weak in sunlight and could only see her at night. She was of essence divided, someone who could be in both the light and the dark, with someone waiting on both sides. It was a contest to see which side she would go to. But she knew that she would go to the dark, but not because of the someone waiting there.

It was, quite simply, where she belonged.

It would be a long time, almost a century or two, before Cresselia would be used to flying past the stars late at night under the moon and no longer seeing Darkrai a distance behind her, almost blending in with the night sky, pretending that he wasn't following her, like he used to say as an excuse when she would catch him doing it. It was habitual, she supposed, for him to quietly follow some distance behind her and watch her as if she was some sort of goddess of the night, her glittery pink veilish wings glowing vibrantly in the moonlight.

No words had even passed between the two, they had both known that their relationship was merely platonic and that the only reasons that they had felt attracted to each other was because of the attachment they shared for the moon. No words had passed that night of musing complexities when they had felt closer to each other than ever before, the embrace they had shared and the kiss that neither would ever speak of again. No words had passed when Darkrai saw her with that show-off bird deity from Johto that had been openly flirting with her. No words had passed even when they saw each other for the very last time, they didn't need words to express how one felt about the other's decisions, such as Darkrai's decision to get rid of the damned bird once and for all. Words were just something that was unneeded, whether it was because of their telepathic abilities or otherwise.

But even if they didn't use words, they expressed to each other their thoughts and feelings with friendly smiles and laughs when chasing each other in the dark, dull blushes when pulling themselves apart from what had one moment been a passionate kiss, the frowns and snarls of jealousy and contempt and hatred for others that he had or the look of worry or the tears that had slipped down her cheeks when he left her to go after Ho-oh.

For one to call what they felt for each other love, one must wonder if two people don't talk to each other at all, then is it really love?

But...

Love doesn't need words.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you crazy?"

"No Max, I'm not. If we battle Ash, then whatever has possessed him might be driven out of him.", May said simply as she attached the pokeballs to her belt. She then picked up Ash's hat, and after a moment of silent internal debate, she put it in her bag. May had told Brock, Max, and Pikachu the dream she had, except that she had left out the part about talking to the real Ash. It wouldn't't do any good to make them worry about their friend's mental state.

"We can't let you go alone. This king might really hurt you, even if he's using Ash's body.", Brock said as he too fixed his pokeballs on his belt. Even though he had never admitted this out loud, he had once looked at May like how he thought of other girls, as a beautiful young lady. But during their travels, he had come to know her like a sister, as well as his quiet observations of the way Ash and May sometimes acted around each other. Despite this, it didn't stop his concern for her well being.

"But he told me to come alone. I don't want you and Max to get mixed up in this."

"May, we're already mixed up in this, it wouldn't do much good to go by yourself.", Max pointed out. He would be dumb to say that he wasn't scared of what might happen to them and his older sister, but there was no way he was going to miss something like this!

"And besides, you coming alone is doing exactly what he wants.", Brock also noted.

May frowned, worry apparent on her face. "But...what if you guys get hurt? It will be all my fault..."

"May, don't talk like that! Ash wouldn't want you to be carrying something like that all by yourself!", Brock snapped.

May blinked at his sudden outburst, but then nodded. "You're right Brock. Ash would want us working together to help him."

Pikachu had been looking back between the three before giving her the signature Ash thumbs-up. Between the four individuals, it felt that it was probably the one that wanted Ash back the most.

And in return, she couldn't help but flash the Pikachu a thumbs-up in return, a small smile on her face.

Don't worry Pikachu, we'll get Ash back! I swear on it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took some careful sneaking to get to the palace without attracting the attention of the townspeople, some of which carrying wanted posters of the group. June had stayed behind, wishing them luck. As they approached the castle steps, peering around a bend to check for guards, May noticed for the first time something off about the guards. Thin wisps of purple smoke snaked its way around their bodies, but the guards and their Houndooms didn't notice, but it might have been because of the slightly glazed look in their eyes.

"Do you see that?", May asked, pointing to the guard nearest to them.

"See what?", Max asked.

"That smoke. I think he's using it to control the people in this palace so that they don't question his authority and carry out his commands. It might be why they didn't question the fact that their king is using someone else's body.", May explained.

Brock narrowed his eyebrows. "May, I don't see any smoke."

"Yeah, me either.", Max said as well.

May frowned, looking back to the front of the palace. Why was she the only one that could see this smoke?

Then she remembered something June had said when they had first met her...

In this town, all of our auras are similar to a Pokemon type. Mine, like yours, is a psychic type, which is why I can tell what kind of aura you have...

So that's why I can see the smoke...because of my aura...

Max suddenly pointed at the front doors. "Hey...isn't that Team Rocket!?"

Earlier...

"The nerve of that guy! We do what he wants and then he makes us scrub his floors!?", Jessie hissed under her breath as she angrily threw a sponge back into a nearby bucket of soapy water.

The minute they had gotten back with the pokeballs, he had ordered them to scrubbing the floors of his throne room.

"Uh, Jess, missed a spot.", James said from his spot on the floor somewhere nearby.

"Shut up James! It's time to do what we do best!"

"Blast off again?", Meowth casually asked, not even looking at her, only to quickly back away from the fiery Jessie.

"Steal! This king has to have loads of treasures hidden somewhere in this place!", Jessie said determinedly.

"You're right! Imagine all the Pokemon we could get for the boss!", James agreed.

Meowth didn't speak. His mind had wandered to the days before coming to this island, of being stuck in a balloon with the twe-Ash. Unconsciously, he had noticed that he had replaced the insult with his actual name, but he wasn't sure if it was because of his fear of the new Ash or because he had realized that he and his friends weren't really that bad. No, he still didn't like them, but he didn't hate them as much as he used to. After all, they had teamed up together before to save their skins from worst things than this, like with Entei and the Unown or with Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno.

He suddenly realized that Jessie and James were looking to him, waiting for his usual ideas of how the boss would reward them and other crazy ideas. He opened his mouth, but nothing came out. Maybe...he was realizing that none of the ideas he ever came up with would ever occur and the slight ridiculousy of them. But...he had to say something...

He didn't even notice the smoke that crept along the ground around them or the feeling of utter despair that started to cloud his mind...

Max was right, as standing in front of the doors, as if being on the lookout for intruders, was the Team Rocket trio. May was the only one to also notice the smoke around them, and yet not completely engulfing them, as well as their glazed eyes. The other guards looked around at their arrival, exchanged a few words before they went inside, leaving only Team Rocket watching the perimeter.

"What's wrong with them?", Max asked.

"I think that he's somehow using them too.", May whispered, having to remind herself that it was the king using them, not Ash.

"Well, it's only Team Rocket, I'm sure that getting past them won't be any trouble at all.", Brock said assuringly, but the words were barely out of his mouth when footsteps came up behind them.

"Intruders! Intruders in the courtyard!"

They quickly turned to see Meowth, claws out and coming toward them. He must of left his friends and snuck up behind them when they weren't looking. His call brought Jessie and James over, pokeballs out and blocking their path.

"By order of the king of Poke'lantis, you are to be detained to the dungeons for trespassing until judgment is passed.", the two said in a monotone voice as they released their Pokemon out, Seviper and Cacnea.

Brock pulled out his own pokeballs, releasing Marshtomp and Forretress.

"May, I'll distract them, you, Pikachu, and Max go on ahead!"

May nodded as she, Pikachu, and Max ran past the two just as they were calling their attacks, not noticing Meowth swiftly following behind them, intent on stopping them from reaching its new master. But just as this notion entered his head, he found himself stopping as a new voice entered his head.

Bring them to me...

"I'm pretty sure that we've already been down this hallway..."

May stopped running, looking around and recognizing a familiar suit of armor.

"You're right. Which way...?"

"Wait May, look over there! It's Meowth!"

May looked in the direction where Max was pointing and saw Meowth, who was looking around hastily before going down a different hallway.

"Let's follow them.", she said and the two took off after it, following it down the hallway.

"I wonder why none of the guards inside have stopped us.", Max mused aloud.

May didn't answer, she had been thinking the same thing herself.

It's because he only wants me, not Brock or Max

This thought entered her mind just as they arrived in the throne room, the walls a gleaming gold color, suits of armor encircling the room, and a tall imposing throne at one end and a red carpet stretched across the room, flecked with what suspiciously looked like blood. A couple of Houndooms stood, snarling at them and waiting for orders.

"You have arrived. I was wondering what was taking so long."

May snapped her head up to see Ash sitting in the throne, Meowth sitting next to him on the armrest as the king was absentmindedly scratching a spot on its head. He wasn't even looking at her when he spoke.

"I thought I told you to come alone. But it's not surprising really, thinking that you could try a four against one method.", he said, looking up at the three before him. "But this can be easily taken care of."

He held a hand out as blackish-blue smoke seemed to come out of nowhere and circle around Pikachu and Max. Without any warning, the smoke seemed to slam the two backward into the wall behind them, pinning them there to the wall as it took the form of a large hand. Pikachu tried to shock the hand, only to succeed in shocking Max as well as the hand gripped on them tighter.

"Max! Pikachu!", May started to run toward them, only to be stopped by the king.

"Another step and I won't be afraid to crush them and send their blood and guts splattering everywhere. Sure, it'll be a hassle for the maids, but their used to it.", the king chuckled as he stood up from his throne, Meowth staying behind as if frozen like a statue.

"With those two stuck and those idiots outside distracting the other one, now there is nothing that can interfere.", he said as he stepped down from his throne, standing a few feet across from her.

May pulled out a pokeball. "I challenge you to a battle!"

The king looked slightly amused. "Really now? On what terms?"

"3 on 3, no time limit. If I win, you give Ash back."

"And if I win?"

May hesitated before answering. "You get me."

The king raised an eyebrow at this. "And what would I want with someone as worthless as you?"

"Because Ash would care if something happened to me."

The king considered this possibility. "It would destroy whatever shred of hope the brat is holding on to, and the Houndoom are quite hungry.", he said, eying the now drooling dogs. May looked over to and couldn't't help but feel nervous and scared at the idea of what would happen if she lost.

"Very well. I accept your terms.", he said as he pulled out a pokeball.

After all, there was plenty of time until their royal guest would arrive...

Ash suddenly felt something shove him hard in the back, pushing him forward to a part of his mind.

I don't think that this is something you should miss. It could be quite entertaining for you.

Ash recognized this part of the mind as the place where he had watched the king battle Brandon, except...

"And if I win?" These words were strange, as if coming from his own mouth.

"You get me."

Ash gasped as he saw May standing across from him, as well as Pikachu and Max pinned to the wall behind her.

Pikachu! Max! May! What's going on? Where's Brock? And what do you mean by "get me"?

"And what would I want with someone as worthless as you?"

Hey, May is not worthless!

"Because Ash would care if something happened to me."

I bloody well should! You're important to me May!

"It would destroy whatever shred of hope the brat is holding on to, and the Houndoom are quite hungry. Very well. I accept your terms."

Ash paled. What terms? Then he saw the pokeballs they both pulled out. They were going to battle each other? He found himself pounding his fists against the window.

May, don't do this! Sacrificing yourself isn't going to help me!

"Go, Beautifly!"

The butterfly came out, spreading its wings and prepared for battle, but it looked vaguely confused at it's opponent. The king smirked as he tossed a pokeball out.

"Swellow!"

The familiar blue and red marked bird burst forth from the pokeball. It too looked confused at the choice of opponent, wondering why its master was fighting his friend. May also looked confused at his choice until the king answered for her.

"They may be imbeciles, but they are thieves, so I had them fetch for me the brats pokeballs for me during our little meeting."

"But what makes you think that they'll obey you?", May asked.

"I'm glad you asked. Swellow, use Aerial Ace!", he commanded. At the same time, from the place where Ash was watching, he had unconsciously been thinking the same attack, and the words came out of his mouth as well. Without hesitation, the bird swooped into the air and practically dive-bombed the poor butterfly out of the air, since Flying attacks were strong against Bug-Types.

May was speechless. When he had issued the command, the king's voice had sounded exactly like Ash's, except layered with something malevolent.

"B-Beautifly, use Silver Wind!"

The butterfly flapped its wings as hard as it could, creating a silvery mist that went toward the Swellow.

"Swellow, knock away this pesky attack and then use Wing Attack."

Swellow didn't even dodge the attack, instead it took a wing and flapped at the wind, as if smacking it away before it flew at an unimaginable speed and smacked straight into Beautifly's chest before it could have the chance to dodge. The butterfly crumbled on the ground, its chest heaving as if struggling to breathe.

"Beautifly!", May called as she ran to its slow moving form, picking it up. It looked up at her with pain-filled eyes, making a sound that might have been distinguished as coughing.

"Weak, like it's trainer.", the king sneered.

May scowled at him as she recalled Beautifly back into its pokeball. Now she had only two pokemon while he had three. The odds weren't looking very good. She was about to send out a pokemon when one of her pokeballs accidentally detached itself from its belt, bursting open to reveal her Skitty, who was mewling happily.

"No wait Skitty, I don't-", May started to say, until she noticed the look that had fleetingly flashed across the king's face before being replaced with an emotionless mask. A look of hatred...fear...sadness?

It's not her. It's not her. IT'S NOT HER.

Ash could hear this mantra being repeated over and over, reverberating in his mind until it was practically screaming, but as quick as this mental anguish came it disappeared quite abruptly, being replaced with a So that's how she wants to play...But why did something like a mere Skitty deter the king?

His wife used to have a Skitty. Maybe seeing May and her Skitty together is bringing back memories, Ash guessed.

May seemed to have caught on to this too. After all, the quickest way to defeat an enemy is to attack the heart.

"Skitty, use Assist!"

Skitty meowed before opening its mouth and letting loose a stream of Blaziken's Flamethrower. The king didn't have the chance to tell Swellow to dodge as the flames engulfed the bird, nearly burning it to a crisp as it landed on the ground, twitching ever so slightly. This seemed to definitely snap the king out of his thoughts as he recalled Swellow back to the pokeball. He pulled out a different pokeball, tossing it out into the air.

"Corphish."

The small lobster-like Pokemon appeared in a flash of light, clicking its claws in a fighting stance. It didn't seem at all fazed by the dark aura that was around its master, but it might have been because itself was part Dark-Type and had perceived it as normal, not sensing anything amiss.

"Use Bubblebeam."

Corphish opened its claws and sent a stream of bubbles at the Skitty, who seemed to dance away around the bubbles, effectively dodging them.

"Skitty, use Blizzard!"

Skitty opened its mouth and sent an icy chill at the remaining bubbles that were heading toward it, freezing them as they fell and smashed into ice shards on the ground, but having little effect on Corphish.

"Crabhammer!"

In a speed usually unimaginable for Corphish, it had practically ran at the Skitty, claw held high, glowing as it slammed itself downward at its back, smashing it into the floor. This caught the ditzy Skitty off guard and quickly knocked it out, meowing feebly.

May bit her bottom lip, barely over the cut from what felt like forever ago, as she recalled Skitty, commending it on a job well done.

"This is quite pathetic! Already down to your last Pokemon? How do you expect to save your precious Ash?", the king sneered.

May could feel pure hatred for this monster bubble inside her, one that was threatening to burst. How dare he call her pathetic!

"Why did you have to ruin our lives? How could you be able to cause so much pain and misery?", she asked, fists clenched at her sides.

The king seemed surprised by this outburst, but it caused him to chuckle.

"What's so funny?", May snapped at him.

"You asked me how I was able to do all this. Actually," he said as he pointed a finger over at Max, who had long ago stopped struggling from the hold the shadows had against him.

"I have your dear brother to thank for that."

May was shook out of her momentary range to look over at Max, who looked equally shocked. "What do you mean by that?"

Ash, who was watching the entire conversation, suddenly remembered words that the king had once said before when they had first met face to face.

The king turned away from Ash as if to examine the confine's of Ash's mind. "After that battle, I was forced to the back of your mind, supposedly doomed to wander your memories.", he spoke to himself more than to Ash.

And then he remembered something Max had said, back at his own house during dinner...

"It was even harder since you had to battle him twice, after that whole pyramid fiasco and that evil king and all...", Max said.

Max had made him remember. Which had brought the king to the front of his mind where he could have free control. Ash seemed to go numb, tuning out the king as he shared that piece of info with the others. He looked back up only to look back down just to see May looking shocked and Max looking extremely guilty, even though this could never be his fault.

"What else are you keeping secret from us?", May couldn't't help but ask.

The king scoffed. "Oh, like I'm the one keeping secrets? Tell me, did you ever tell Ash about that kiss?"

Ash's head snapped up at this. What kiss?

"That's...not...", May was at a loss for words.

Ash was suddenly confronted with a mental image of May and the king kissing each other in the balloon that he vaguely remembered arriving to the island in. As quickly as it came, it still burned in his eyes, seeing it even when he was closing his eyes. He didn't want to see this...this was all just too much...

"Didn't tell him how passionate the kiss was? Or where that cut on your lips came from?"

He just wanted it all to stop...for things to go back to normal the way they should...but they never would...he was going to be stuck in this hellhole for the rest of his life!

"Ash!"

Ash was shaken out of his mental despair as he heard his name, turning back to the window out of his mind, seeing a tear falling from one of May's eyes. This seemed to snap him back to normal.

"I know you are in there somewhere! Don't listen to what he says! He forced it on me just to get back at you!", she called out pleadingly. Ash felt himself nodding. He believed her. There was no way that she would of done it willingly...Yeah...he had to keep believing in her, have faith like he always did...

"Say that all you want, but I have a match to win, lest we forget.", the king drawled boredly. May glared at him as she pulled out a pokeball, contemplating a strategy to win.

"Go, Bulbasaur!"

A flash of light as the grass Pokemon emerged, looking somewhat aggressive, most likely sensing its trainer's anguish.

"Use Razor Leaf!"

The Bulbasaur unleashed a torrent of leaves that cut at the Corphish mercilessly and, oddly enough, the king let it continue attacking the Corphish up until it fainted. He called it back, not looking the least perturbed as he pulled out another pokeball, smirking.

"Bulbasaur."

A flash of light greeted his side of the field as Ash's Bulbasaur stood across from May's, looking quite confused as to why the trainers were pitting the two against each other. May looked shocked at his choice, realizing what it meant.

They love each other, so they won't be willing to attack each other...but he'll use his powers to make Ash's Bulbasaur fight mine! He planned this...

The king seemed to nod knowingly as if reading May's mind. "Such entertainment, to watch two beings that love each other fight in a senseless battle! How ironic, isn't it? That your about to lose in such a manner?"

He laughed as the Bulbasaur's eyes suddenly clouded, looking quite angry and fierce as it slammed into May's Bulbasaur with a well-placed tackle. It continued to tackle it every time it tried to get up as May's was unwilling to hurt it.

"Stop it!", May shouted, watching as it slammed into her's again, especially when she noticed that Ash's Bulbasaur may have been crying while attacking it. The king seemed to be even more relentless as the Bulbasaur shot out its vines, picking May's Bulbasaur up and continuously slamming it into the ground. After a few slams, it stopped, letting go of May's Bulbasaur.

"This battle is over and you are mine.", the king laughed victoriously, but it was quickly cut short as May's Bulbasaur was struggling to get back up again.

Why does it continue to get back up?, he mused to himself, which Ash was also wondering.

May's Bulbasaur got back up on shaky legs and started going toward Ash's Bulbasaur, speaking who knows what in their language. It reached the other Bulbasaur, wincing slightly as the other one bit down on its arm in a vain attempt to stop it from getting any closer. Despite the pain that it was obviously going through, it still stayed in front of it, refusing to back off from it despite the vines that had now emerged from Ash's Bulbasaurs back and was whipping May's repetitively over and over again. She didn't know what her Bulbasaur was saying to the other, but the cloudy look that had been in the other's eyes had slowly left. Somehow, it had broken through whatever control the king had put over the Bulbasaur. It spoke sadly in its language, sorry at what it had done to the one it cared about, but May's didn't seem to be angry as it rested its tired beaten body next to it.

"What the devil is going on here! Destroy it!", the king hissed venomously at the Bulbasaur, only to blatantly ignored. Ash's Bulbasaur took a protective stance in front of the other, daring the king to make any sudden moves.

May was watching the Bulbasaurs and their actions, thinking to herself. If the Bulbasaurs can break through his control...then Ash and I can too.

"Don't you see?", she spoke, taking a few steps closer. "It doesn't't matter what you do. Love can overcome anything!"

She looked down, contemplating her next words. "Ash...I know you can hear me. There's something I've been meaning to tell you for a very long time, but I never thought I'd have to tell you under these circumstances."

"When I first met you, I thought that you were a little cocky and annoying. But then I saw how nice you were and how brave you are in the face of danger. You taught me a lot of things about being a trainer. No matter what, you were always there for me, whether it was saving my Pokemon from Team Rocket or cheering me on in contests. I could look to you for support and reassurance. You were always saving me, whether it was from falling into chasms or nearly getting crushed by Donphan. I choose you over anyone else whenever I'm afraid or in doubt. You are able to to give me the courage to do my best."

As she said this, she had been taking more steps toward Ash, the king hiding a look of contempt under a only slightly bewildered mask.

"That's a great speech, but do you really think that's going to help him?", the king asked loftily. However, he was suddenly quite alarmed as he had not realized how close May had gotten to him, practically backed into a pillar near his throne. Ash himself was only able to see her eyes, which were sparkling.

"Your always saving me Ash. It's about time I saved you.", she said, and without warning, she had grabbed the king by the front of his shirt and kissed him full on the mouth.

Ash suddenly felt a strange feeling engulf the entire realm of his mind...one of pure love. He felt all the anger and sadness being pulled away from him as he felt himself abruptly back in the present, no longer in his mind. He was even more fazed when he realized what he was doing.

I'm...kissing May...

And he found himself returning the kiss, which was not quite as passionate, but more of a gentle kiss. He found his arms wrapping around her, pulling her close, wanting to protect her from everything that had happened. He didn't know how she had managed to free him from that place, but it didn't seem like a good time to question it. What mattered was right now, having her in his arms and kissing the girl that he had feelings for. He didn't notice Pikachu or Max's surprised, but starry-eyed expressions, nor the painful screaming erupting in the back of his mind...

Wait...painful screaming?

The king had suddenly been pulled into the brat's mind, crashing against what one could call the wall of the mind. His skin was blistering, burning red in agony at the pain that was clawing at his entire frame. He gripped the sides of his arms, his nails digging into his flesh and causing blood to seep down his arms and drip onto the floor, the noise echoing loudly in his ears, biting down on his tongue to keep from screaming out in pain, the metallic taste of blood thick in his mouth.

Damned wench...

Drip...

Screwing up his plans...

Drip...

Just when he was so close...

Drip...

Just when Ho-oh would be flying over Poke'lantis at any moment due to the eclipse...

Drip...

He couldn't hold on any longer. The wench's touch was making it too painful for him to attach to the brat's mind any longer. He looked down at his skin, not at all shocked as his skin practically burned itself away into nothing but shadow...

Drip...

He was going to kill that *****...rip her to pieces right in front of his eyes...he was going to savor the blood dripping off his hands...

Drip...

He was going to tear their hearts out and show it to them just to show how bleeding weak the heart really is...

"Ash...your back...", she sobbed as Ash finally gave out weakly from being so exhausted, the two of them now on their knees. She held him close to her, careful of the injuries he had received from inside of his mind.

"May..."

"It's alright. Everything's-", May cut off as Ash suddenly started screaming as if something was tearing him from the inside out. She watched with fascination and horror as his body was covered in black and blue aura pulling upward from his body, as if the darkness was sucking itself out of him. After the darkness had lifted, Ash could feel almost all of his strength coming back to him, as if he had never lost it the first place. The bruises and cuts on his body started to heal and look good as new.

But then he screamed out in pain again as if something was being ripped out of the back of his skull. Whatever it was didn't take on a form, but he felt the evil presence that used to be the king disappear from his mind...or so he hoped.

There was suddenly a dark laugh that rang the air. Everyone looked up at the darkness floating above them, watching as it took shape. It looked like a deformed Ash, the lower half of his body nothing but darkness while the top half had long arms that ended in shadowy claws that seemed to practically tear through the air. Wisps of darkness flowed freely from it, chilling the room significantly. It still had Ash's face, except that its eyes were grey, and yet glowed with an eerily blue light.

"Think that you could defeat me so easily? You were wrong, fools! Now you will pay for your mistake!", it screeched as the king launched itself straight at the two of them, claws out aiming for their chests, any traces of sanity seemingly gone. He was going to rip their hearts out and then take over their bodies. After all, they wouldn't be able to get rid of him and fight against him...all it took was a claw straight to the chest so that he could re-enter one of their minds. He wasn't real choosy about which one at the moment.

And then he would have more power to kill Ho-oh once and for all.

Max and Pikachu had fallen free from their hold on the wall, as the king's spells had lifted when Ash had regained control, but Max didn't seem to notice their freedom nor Meowth on the other side of the room moaning, wondering what had happened. Max was preoccupied with what was about to happen.

This is all my fault...they're going to die because of me...

...My sister...she's in trouble...

He suddenly found himself taking a few steps toward the two, until breaking into a full out run.

I need to save her!

In years to come, Max would never be able to explain how he had suddenly gained the speed to run in front of May and Ash, arms outstretched just as the claws pierced into his chest. He wouldn't remember the words that were said next, even the ones out of his own mouth or the screams of horror as the claws had apparently come out through the other side. The king himself was shocked as he was suddenly pulled inward into Max's body until all the darkness had now entered Max's body.

"Max...why?", May whispered, tears falling down her cheeks, Ash speechless.

"...You may be older than me...but...", he coughed, blood running down the side of his mouth. He was falling, falling forward in a graceful curving arc.

"...but a brother...has to protect their sister.", he whispered as he fell face-down on the floor, blood coming out of his chest under his now unmoving body.

Last edited:
"Think that you could defeat me so easily? You were wrong, fools! Now you will pay for your mistake!", it screeched as the king launched itself straight at the two of them, claws out aiming for their chests, any traces of sanity seemingly gone. He was going to rip their hearts out and then take over their bodies. After all, they wouldn't be able to get rid of him and fight against him...all it took was a claw straight to the chest so that he could re-enter one of their minds. He wasn't real choosy about which one at the moment.
Max and Pikachu had fallen free from their hold on the wall, as the king's spells had lifted when Ash had regained control, but Max didn't seem to notice their freedom nor Meowth on the other side of the room moaning, wondering what had happened. Max was preoccupied with what was about to happen.
This is all my fault...they're going to die because of me...
...My sister...she's in trouble...
He suddenly found himself taking a few steps toward the two, until breaking into a full out run.
I need to save her!
In years to come, Max would never be able to explain how he had suddenly gained the speed to run in front of May and Ash, arms outstretched just as the claws pierced into his chest. He wouldn't remember the words that were said next, even the ones out of his own mouth or the screams of horror as the claws had apparently come out through the other side. The king himself was shocked as he was suddenly pulled inward into Max's body until all the darkness had now entered Max's body.
"Max...why?", May whispered, tears falling down her cheeks, Ash speechless.
"...You may be older than me...but...", he coughed, blood running down the side of his mouth. He was falling, falling forward in a graceful curving arc.
"...but a brother...has to protect their sister.", he whispered as he fell face-down on the floor, blood coming out of his chest under his now unmoving body.
Why that no good fuc*in piece of damn shi*y as*hole! Just as he was destroyed, hecame out and going to steal Ash or May's body again. But poor brave have to save the them does he. :(

mr_one_eye

awww man, why does max have to be the one who gets his body stolen =(

Every Heart

Happy Rival!
.:.Sixteen.:.

The sky was a brilliant hue of blue, with fluffy clouds that dotted the sky. A perfect day. But to the large golden bird that was flying through the sky, he could disagree. Ho-oh glared at the sun and the moon that would allign any time now. He really hated these eclipses, as they always made him feel weaker. But once he crossed over this part of the ocean, then he wouldn't be as affected by the eclipse.

He suddenly found himself stopping in midflight, quite alarmed at the sudden rush of power that he felt coming towards him. A power that was quite familiar.

"It can't be..." Ho-oh seemed to whisper as he stared ahead at where the power was coming from. Ho-oh swore under his breath, recognizing the dark energy.

"Couldn't stay down like a defeated dog, could he?" Ho-oh practically hissed aloud.

"Don't ever say that again in my presence."

Ho-oh chuckled as he turned to face the pink and blue Pokemon deity that had appeared at his side. She was glaring hatefully at him.

"Cresselia. A pleasure."

"Cut the small talk. You feel it too right?" she asked.

Ho-oh snorted. "Of course I do. You would have to be pretty damn unobservant to not feel that."

Cresselia narrowed her eyes at him, her pink veil wings shimmering faster as she hovered in place. "What do you plan to do?"

If Ho-oh was a human (which he wasn't, thank Arceus) he would of cracked his knuckles like someone eager to fight. "I banished him before. I can do it again."

"But the eclipse will make you considerably weaker." Cresselia pointed out.

"...Look, I can handle it myself. I don't need your help."

"I never said that I was here to help you."

"But you are."

"You know about our past!"

"Past shouldn't affect the present!"

"You should be one to talk!"

"Enough!" Ho-oh shouted, his body flaring up with flames angrily. "I will take care of this matter. You are not needed."

Ho-oh began to beat his wings faster and took off toward Poke'lantis. He scowled as Cresselia kept up with him.

"Charging recklessly into battle like that makes me have to come with you."

"Care that I might get hurt?" Ho-oh said, his charming mask suddenly slipped back on. Cresselia shook her head.

"I swear, you switch personalities at the drop of a pokeball!"

Ho-oh's mask slipped right back off as he mentally geared himself to battling Darkrai, his thoughts racing a mile a minute.

What are you up to, you monster?

"Max!"

Max didn't move from where he laid face-down on the floor. Ash stood up as May raced over to him. She had pulled Max into her arms just as Brock and, surprisingly, Team Rocket, appeared in the doorway.

"What happened?" Brock asked.

"He...he just jumped in front of us...", May said quietly, tears running down her face.

Ash looked down at the ground. This is all my fault...If I had tried harder to...

His thoughts turned to May. Thank you for saving me May...but...to think that Max would...

Brock was looking at Ash warily, after all, he couldn't take his chances that Ash was still possessed. "Is it really you Ash?"

"Yeah." Ash said weakly without looking at him. Brock suddenly crossed the room and, without warning, punched Ash hard in the face. Ash stumbled, holding a hand to his face, where he was sure a new bruise would form. May gasped, but didn't say anything.

"Thats for making us worry and not telling us what was going on. We could of helped you..." Brock said. Ash nodded. He wasn't angry at Brock for punching him, because if he had been in Brock's position, he would of punched himself too. Ash looked over at Max in May's arms.

"Is he dead?", spoke up James from the doorway.

Ash slightly jumped. He had forgotten that Team Rocket was in the room. Meowth also just noticed them and raced over to them with a cry of "Jessie, James!!". He skidded to a halt in front of them. "What happened?"

"I don't remember actually." James admitted.

"Neither do I. All I can remember is suddenly feeling very cold and then...nothing.", Jessie agreed.

Meowth put a paw to his head. He too remembered that feeling...the feeling of cold and utter despair...

"Well, as long as we're ok, tthen that's all that matters, I suppose...", Meowth said after a moment. Jessie and James stared. Meowth was acting different than usual, more contemplative and distracted as Meowth turned away to watch the tw-kid's vigil over the smaller one. Before they could question Meowth about it, they suddenly heard a loud groan. Everyone turned to Max in May's arms, who was stirring slightly.

"Max...your ali-" May started to say, but was then cut off by a vicelike grip that enclosed around her throat. Her eyes widened as Max was now strangling her with one hand, his mouth curved into a feral grin. Dark shadows were dancing all around his body as the wound in his chest started to heal itself.

"Did you really think...", he spoke in a low voice filled with such malice and hate as he stared into May's eyes, tightening his grip, "...that I would be so easily defeated at the cost of your measly brothers life!?"

Max's entire body was now covered in shadows except for his face, his hands forming shadowy claws that were merely seconds away from piercing May's neck.

"M-max..." May struggled to breath as her face turned blue, her hands clawing at his hand in an effort to relenquesh their grip. Max turned his head to look at Ash, who was standing there frozen in shock like everyone else. He smirked at him knowingly as Max's face was covered in darkness and had changed to resemble that of the king's demented features that still retained a little of Ash's likeliness, such as the spikes of his hair or the shape of his grey eyes that were glowing blue.

"You!" Ash snarled as he felt strength return to his legs. Ash jumped and tackled Max, catching him off gaurd as Max was forced to let go of May. As May stayed kneeled on the floor gasping for air, Ash and Max were rolling on the floor with Ash trying to pin Max down, until Max lifted up a hand and shot a pulse of darkness at Ash's chest and knocked him away. Pikachu's body glowed with electricity as he shot a Thunderbolt or two at him, but Max simply laughed and knocked them away with his hand into the wall, causing a large hole to form.

"Enough." The king ordered as he rose a few feet off the ground, examining his new body. "A temporary setback, but..."

He flexed his clawed fingers thoughtfully before turning to the pests before him. "But now enough is enough. I will get rid of you vermin once and for all!", he whispered as the ground suddenly shook below their feet and the sky darkened. The king looked up at the ceiling perplexed until turning to the hole in the wall that showed the outside.

"I almost forgot...just in time...", he spoke gleefully as he began laughing madly. Everyone turned to the sky visible from where part of the wall had been destroyed and watched as the sun and the moon encompassed each other. The king suddenly glowed with a powerful black and blue energy that caused everyone in the room to suddenly fall to their knees as the energy pushed them to the ground.

"Yes...beg for your lives as I take them from you!", he shouted as his clawed hands extended outward, large enough to stab them all as easily as slicing through butter. The hands glowed with darkness as he came at them.

May felt her eyes watering again. This was it...they were all going to die...

Her vision was suddenly blocked as someone had moved in front of her.

"Ash?"

He turned to face her and gave her a weak smile. "Don't worry May, I'll protect you."

As the king came closer, his hands crackling loudly with dark electricity, a loud bird-like screech rang through the air. Ash and the others were blown back as something large and golden suddenly crashed through the room in front of them, taking the blow from the king. The large gold object bounced back and crashed on the floor, destroying a greater part of the wall and ceiling with it as the king had also bounced back from the collision, looking down on the object in disgust.

"Ho-oh..." the king sneered.

Ash gasped as the gold object unfurled its long rainbow colored feathrs to reveal none other than the legendary bird himself. A gold aura seemed to shine around it, yet Ash noticed that it was quite dim. Ho-oh chuckled softly.

"Darkrai...still up to your old tricks. Still planning on destroying me?" Ho-oh asked.

"You know damn well I am. Today you will die!" the king shouted (he had switched to telepathy as well), his eyes turning completely blue, including the white part of his eyes. Darkness surrounded him and took on a shape around his body. May recognized it as the shape in the book of Darkrai, the darkness flowing around him like ribbons. The king held a hand out and created a ball of whirling darkness in the palm of his hand and threw it as hard as he could at Ho-oh. Ho-oh held out a wing and smacked it right back at the king, who moved to the side and let it crash into the wall behind them, destroying that part of the wall now.

The ceiling started to cave in now that the're weren't any walls to support it now. Ho-oh turned around and flew at the watching group, using his wings to shield them from the falling ceiling that rained down upon them. As soon as the ceiling stopped falling, Ho-oh manage to shake itself out of the wreckage, breathing a sigh of relief that no one was injured. May blinked, confused as to why she hadn't been crushed. (She had closed her eyes when the ceiling started falling)

And who had their arms around her?

She looked over and saw that it was Ash. The two stared at one another until he let go with a sheepish "Sorry"

May was about to say something, but was then cut off by the shifting of ruble nearby as the king emerged, surrounded by a dark bubble that protected him from the ceiling caving in. The bubble disappered as he formed another ball of dark energy in his hand.

"Your slipping Ho-oh. Loose your strength lately?" the king asked.

Ash looked over at Ho-oh and saw that the wing that had knocked the darkness away was burned and a few raindow feathers had been scorched off. Ho-oh snorted as he flapped his wings, wincing slightly as he rose into the air to face across from the king.

"You wish. To the air then?"

"Lets." the king said as he rose higher into the air, Ho-oh on his tail. Ash and the gang watched as they were almost nearly specks in the sky that collided with each other over and over again. Ash was reminded of the battle with Mewtwo and Mew and how similar this style of fighting was to the one from then. The gold ball of energy that belonged to Ho-oh ducked out of the way as the black ball bestly thought to be the king fired a shadow ball at him.

"W-what is going on around here!?" Jessie screeched quite suddenly, looking very frazzled from all the action going on around them.

"The king has a long running feud with Ho-oh that was enhanced by selling his soul to Darkrai." Ash found himself explaining aloud. He was slightly surprised that no one asked how he knew that, so he figured that May and the others already found out from someone else. He looked to Pikachu to see if it knew, who nodded its head.

"But why is Ho-oh losing and how did he knew to come here?" James asked.

"Must of sensed Darkrai's power...but why he is losing, I don't know..."

"It's because of the eclipse."

They turned to see another Pokemon that had appeared. A beautiful pink and blue one with a yellow head that was bird-like and had pink veilish wings.

"I am Cresselia." it spoke without moving its lips, which Ash realized that she was speaking telepathically just like Ho-oh and the king. Cresselia locked eyes with Ash.

"Whenever there is an eclipse, Darkrai gains strength while Ho-oh looses strength." she explained to them.

"But what can we do?", May asked.

"I don't know. We just have to hope that Ho-oh defeats him again like he did last time." she spoke. May noticed that she sounded...sad when she said that.

There was suddenly a loud screech that caused everyone to put their hands over their ears. One of Ho-oh's wings was smoking from a direct hit from the king. Ho-oh fell straight downward and crashed into part of the castle next to them. It shakily got back up, heaving and attempting to catch its breath.

"Face it Ho-oh, your no match for me." the king laughed as it threw another ball of darkness at it without giving it a chance to fly up to him. Ho-oh was unable to get out of the way, but then Cresselia flew in front of Ho-oh and knocked away the darkness by creating a pink bubble around itself. The king frowned at the newest intruder to his battle. For a minute, he didn't say anything, simply staring into Cresselia's eyes.

To Ash's shock, he heard the king speak in a voice that was completely different from his usual. And it seemed...softer. "Cresselia."

"Darkrai." she acknowledged.

"Why are you here?"

"Stopping you."

Darkrai narrowed his glowing blue eyes. "I'm not going to fight you Cresselia."

"And I'm not going to fight you. But I'm not going to let you win either."

Darkrai pointed a claw at Ho-oh. "Your choosing to be on his side?"

"It's not about whose side I'm on. It's about what's right."

Darkrai's lips turned upwards into a snarl. "How dare you lecture me about what's right and what's not. Now...out of my way!" he commanded as he launched a Dark Pulse at her and Ho-oh. Cresselia put up her pink bubble again, but had been caught off guard as the darkness pushed her out of the way and gave Darkrai room to attack Ho-oh. Ho-oh opened his mouth and shot a flurry of flames at him, causing him to put a hand up to block the flames from reaching his face. Soon the two of them were at it again in the air, attacking each other over and over again while Cresselia seemed to be recovering.

But just as quickly as before, Ho-oh was knocked into the castle, destroying a greater part of it once more. Ash couldn't watch this anymore.

"Ho-oh!" he called. Ho-oh looked over at Ash with a bemused expression.

"Let me fight him."

Ho-oh snorted. "You? A mere mortal? How rich..."

"No, he might be on to something. If you lend him some of your power, then maybe theres a chance." Cresselia suggested.

"Like hell I am going to give a mortal my power!"

"It's not like I'm going to keep it, you can just take it back after this is over. Look, I have a score to settle with the king as well." Ash said.

He looked over at his friends. "The king took over my body and mind and made me hurt my friends, the people I care about."

His eyes shifted to May. "And I can't forgive him for hurting someone that's really precious to me."

May blushed as Ho-oh carefully looked the two of them over. "I see...very well...I will lend you my power...but don't say I didn't warn you."

May turned to Ash. "Ash...I..."

Ash put his hands on her shoulders, looking deeply into her eyes. "May...you saved me. Now I'm saving you."

May's eyes shimmered (Ash couldn't help but think that she was very pretty when her eyes shimmered like that) as she nodded. "I understand. I believe in you Ash."

They suddenly heard someone above them clapping. Everyone looked up to see the king clapping his hands. "Gosh, that was so beautiful.", he said aloud using his normal voice, "But I'm afraid that I'm going to have to cut this short." His hands glowed with dark energy again. Ho-oh turned to the gang.

"I'll need some of you to distract him while I transfer my power to Ash."

"We'll do it."

Everyone turned to Meowth, shocked at his declaration, including Jessie and James.

"Ash," Ash looked surprised as Meowth had actually used his name, "You kind of helped me out a whiles back whether you remember it or not, so I think that we hafta help you."

Ash had his mouth open in a a silent circle until he closed his mouth and nodded. "Thanks...Meowth."

Meowth smirked. "Don't push your luck, twerp." He turned to Jessie and James. "What da you say guys? Time to save the world again?"

"We do tend to do that often." James shurgged. Jessie nodded to Ash.

"You can count on us."

"I know I can."

Team Rocket nodded before running off until they were far enough away from Ho-oh and Ash. Meowth cupped his hands arond his mouth. "Oy, rich guy! Bet cha can't hit us."

The king frowned as he turned toward them. "It seems you have lived out your usefulness.", he spoke. "No matter, it shouldn't take much to get rid of you people." He tossed a shadow ball at them, which with a loud scream the trio managed to dodge out of the way of at the last second.

"Wow, you have terrible aim!" James called. The king growled.

"I am not in the mood for your childish games!", he spat as he threw another shadow ball at them, which they narrowly avoided.

While this was going on, Ho-oh turned his attention to Ash. "Now, this may feel strange, but don't be alarmed." He closed his eyes as his body glowed with golden energy. Ash too started to glow with golden energy that caused him to gasp as what felt like flames were licking at him, but the feeling was soon replaced by an aura of strength and power. It felt similar, like a combination of his "aura" that he had discovered with his adventures with Lucario and the energy he got in his adventure with Manaphy.

"Pikachu!" Ash called. Pikachu nodded as he hopped up on Ash's shoulder, cheeks sparking and looking ready to battle. Ash kicked off the ground into the air, flying upward until he was across from the king. The king didn't turn to face him until a shadow ball hit its mark, knocking Team Rocket into the air.

"We're blasting off again!" the trio called as they disappered over the horizen. The king turned to Ash, a look of curiousity on his features.

"So this is Ho-oh's last resort?" the king laughed. "No matter. You were weak then, and you are weak now!"

"Shut up!" Ash shouted as he created a ball of gold energy in the palm of his hands and threw it as hard as he could at the king. The king simply moved to the left and let it go past him.

"Don't play with powers you don't know how to use!", the king shouted as he created his own dark ball of energy and threw it at Ash. Ash yelped and quickly moved to the right as he made a new one in his hands, a plan forming in his mind. He threw it at the king, and just as it came mere inches to the king, Ash nodded to Pikachu. "Pikachu, Thunderbolt!"

"Pi-ka-chu!!" it shouted as it launched a Thunderbolt at the ball of gold energy that Ash had made. It exploded in the kings face before he could dodge it. A cloud of smoke now surrounded them. Ash looked around, wondering where the king had gone, until he felt two clawed hands wrap around his throat and start squeezing as the king appeared in front of his face.

"You're gonna have to try harder than that, brat.", he hissed. Pikachu sparked with electricity again and shot a bolt of thunder at the king. The king gritted his teeth as the electricity tore through his body and forced him to let go of Ash, which gave Ash an opening to punch him hard in the stomach, his fist swirling with gold energy. The king doubled over and was pushed back away from him, putting a hand to his stomach. The darkness was burning away from that one spot, revealing Max's chest. But as quickly as it came, it was quickly replaced by darkness once more.

"Play time is over, I'm finishing this now!" the king shouted as he shot at Ash and started sending a flurry of punches and kicks at him. Ash started blocking them as best as he could while trying to get in a few for himself. Pretty soon, the two jumped apart and started zooming at each other, as if skating on ice and smashing into each other with the gold and black shields that came up between the two of them. Ash looked down for a second and saw the townspeople below watching them from their windows.

Meanwhile, the two other Pokemon gods, May, and Brock watched the battle above. May turned to Cresselia.

"Can't you help him?"

"It's not my battle to fight."

"But he needs help!"

"It depends on which one it is that your wanting me to help."

"...You love him, don't you? Darkrai I mean."

"Yes...but he has fallen too far for me to reach." Cresselia said sadly.

May looked up at the two of them fighting above them. "Then let me help. Ash needs my help."

"..." Cresselia didn't say anything, but she nodded in understanding. Her body glowed a pale pink as she transfered some of her power to May.

"I don't think you need to fly up there, but you should be able to help by healing your friend."

May nodded as she felt her body glow with pink energy, watching it all race to her hands. She held them up and shot a pink energy at Ash.

Ash had been starting to feel beaten, until he suddenly saw his body being covered in a pink energy. His energy seemed to come back and his wounds healed up some. He looked down and saw May's hands glowing as she was healing his injuries from afar.

"Thanks May." he whispered as he turned back to the king, who didn't seem to notice that Ash was suddenly refreshed and raring to go. The two clashed at it, with May healing Ash every once in a while when it seemed that Ash was about to pass out. Eventually, the king had lost all of his patience, now looking more demented than ever.

"ENOUGH! I AM ENDING THIS NOW!" he roared. A lightning bolt tore through the dark sky and hit the king, causing his body to glow even more with purple and blue sparks crackling and shooting off of him. He held a fist up that glowed with energy that seemed to make everyone in the vicinity tremble. Ash's fist also glowed with a golden energy that semed to overwhelm the individuals in the area. Pikachu even added some of its own electricity to it.

Ash realized that this was it. What would happen next would be the deciding factor of who won.

May realized it too. She held out both hands, both of them glowing bright and fiercely with pink energy. She had to help Ash and make sure that he won! As she started pouring as much energy as possible into her hands, she suddenly felt someone's hands on top of hers. She looked to her left and gasped; a ghost was standing next to her. A ghost in a pink dress that had an uncanny resemblance to May...

"April?" she whispered.

April nodded as she started feeding her own energy to May as well.

"Why?"

April looked up at her and titled her head to the side with a tiny smile on her lips.

Because you love him. Because I love my husband. Because love gives one strength...

May thought of all the people she loved. Her parents. Max.

And now Ash.

For some reason, Max appeared in her mind. And what he had said to her before being taken over.

A brother's gotta protect their sister...

And I got to protect my brother! You give me back my brother you monster!

May thought this as she shot a combination of psychic energy and her own aura at Ash. The energy swirled around him and down to his fist, causing the energy around his fist to turn into a rainbow color. He and the king took off at the same time, straight at each other, fists reared back.

This is it!

Both of them thought this at the same time as their fists connected.

A blinding white light shot out and blinded everyone.

And Ash fell into black.

Wow, just wow. It's like I'm reading a world best action-packed plus romance movie instead of a simple AS fic. Super kudos for you, this is some of the best thing I ever read in my whole life. You must write more often! Oh, and add me to your pm list please, thanks.

UltaFlame

I'm weird accept it
AWESOME!

WHAT HAPPENS?

eep.

sorry I din post for the last two chapters >.< I was busy, I read them, but my posts din go through and then i forgot!

anyway, its incredible.

Every Heart

Happy Rival!
This is the last chapter of "The Darkness Within", and yes, there is a sequel in the works. Mods, when you get the chance, please move this either to the shipping section, or more likely the completed works section.

.:.Seventeen.:.

It was dark. Very dark. Darker than anything Ash had ever seen or felt. He couldn't even see his own hand in front of his face even if he wanted to. He was afraid to move, seeing as he couldn't see the ground in front of him. He looked down at what he assumed to be his hands and tried to imagine a golden glow around them like before, but nothing happened. He looked around at the darkness around him, taking a tentative step forward.

"Hello?", he called, but his voice for some reason didn't have much volume to it.

Where am I?

Ash mentally calmed himself. He had to make sure he didn't panic or do anything rash. He took a couple of steps forward again.

I'm all alone

It felt like hours had gone by, but no matter how long he walked or which direction he took, it was nothing but pitch black darkness. He stopped after a while, catching his breath.

There's no way out

Was this it? Had the king pulled one last trick? Was he doomed to wander this vast emptiness?

Maybe there's no point into wandering around

"Yeah...maybe there isn't..." Ash found himself saying aloud.

So I'll just give up hope and stay here

Ash didn't notice how his feet couldn't move anymore.

It's not like I'm really alone

He numbly felt arms circle around his chest, hands resting against his chest.

After all, I've got my thoughts for company

Ash didn't even turn his head as the king had his head on his shoulder, an unseeable smirk playing on his lips as he whispered in Ash's ear.

And how can the darkness feel so wrong?

Ash felt something sharp now poking against his chest...claws...all sense seemed to be leaving him and thoughts and memories were slowly slipping away.

My darkness is your darkness now...but you don't have to bear it all alone

The grip tightened ever so slightly, like a cat that was finally done playing with its mouse.

All you have to do is give me your heart

These words seemed to jostle something in Ash's memory. Memories of a brunette girl who he had made a promise to.

May.

"Sorry, king." Ash said, feeling a smirk protrude on his own lips. "But I already gave my heart to someone else."

The king snarled in disgust in his ear. "You can't escape my darkness."

Ash's grin grew even wider, and he craned his neck so that he could see the king's grey eyes that were narrowed and glowed with hatred.

"But it's like you said. It's my darkness too."

The king's claws was about to pierce his chest, but the king was shocked as something suddenly threw the king off of Ash. The king looked up from where he was on the ground and was met with the strangest sight. Ash was surrounded by images of his friends. First Brock had appeared on his left, arms crossed, then Max, who was looking at the king with a look that suggested pure malice at him for taking his body. Then Pikachu appeared on his shoulder, looking ready to shock the king. And lastly, May who appeared on his right, an arm around his waist.

"And unlike you, I won't bear mine alone."

The darkness around them suddenly started to suck itself away, disappearing into thin air. The king looked down at his hand and watched with horror as the darkness that once surrounded it also disappeared, showing his pale skin, which was also slowly being eaten away.

"Damn you, I will not be so easily defeated!" he screamed as he held out his other hand and shot a ball of darkness at Ash. However, it bounced off of him, as if an invisible shield was surrounding him. The darkness peeled away from the king, revealing the guise of a darker looking Ash.

"This isn't over you brat. I will be back." he hissed as his entire body disappeared, leaving behind only grey eyes that blinked once and vanished. A bright light suddenly burst outward and Ash was forced to cover his eyes. When the light vanished, he found himself now in a white expanse, but it looked just as empty as the darkness had.

Thank you

Ash jolted slightly at the very familiar voice, except it didn't sound quite as menacing as before. He turned to see what looked like a slightly older version of himself, dressed in a royal blue outfit where a sword was seen tied to his waist. He was smiling kindly, and Ash might have mistaken him for himself if it wasn't for his grey eyes.

"...King?"

The man nodded.

"But..."

You saw my memories didn't you? You tell me what happened...

Ash looked confused for a second, until an idea came to him. "Now that the darkness is gone...you're free?"

The man nodded, but he seemed sad. No one's darkness is ever truly gone. Just suppressed. You just helped get rid of the darker part of it. He seemed to laugh at this, as if it was a joke.

Ash pointed at his chest. "So does this mean...?"

Yes, the darkness within is still there...merely suppressed.

"But what about Darkrai? And 'that' king?" Ash asked.

Knowing Darkrai, he was smart enough to bolt for it this time instead of getting dragged into oblivion. As for 'that' king, I'm not really sure what happened to it.

Ash paced a little, taking a few steps to look around. "So what happens now?"

You'll be going back to your friends

"And you?"

The king smiled sadly. Well...let's just say that the dead should stay dead.

"W-what do you mean?" Ash asked, startled by this statement.

Ash...I lived over thousands of years ago...isn't it kind of obvious that I'm dead?

"But...what will happen to you?" Ash couldn't help but ask. He had strange concern for this man who had once before tormented him.

I've done some pretty terrible things, so I doubt that I'm getting into heaven so easily. But...

Footsteps came toward the two of them as April came out of nowhere, wrapping her arms around the king's neck.

I won't be alone when crossing that hurtle, now will I?

Ash couldn't help but smile. "I hope you two find peace then."

Then you should be getting back to the one you love...

Ash saw the white expanse starting to disappear. "I have a question. Is this all really happening, or is this just in my head again."

Stupid brat, the king snapped, but Ash saw that he was smiling, just because its happening in your head doesn't mean that its not really happening

Everything was disappearing, including the two of them. And after a moment, he suddenly noticed something...

...He was falling...

Ash blinked and found himself looking up at the bright blue sky above him. The falling sensation was still apparent, and he looked to his left and saw Pikachu, and surprisingly enough, Max falling downward alongside him. Instinct finally kicked in as he spread his arms outward and caught Pikachu and Max, which caused him to fall faster. His feet glowed gold as he slowed down, gracefully landing on the ground, somewhat surprised that he had not collapsed yet.

"Ash!"

Ash looked up from putting Max and Pikachu on the ground to see Brock, Cresselia, Ho-oh, and May heading toward him, with May at the front. Ash felt his legs start moving too as he ran toward her, and, without any warning, practically lifted her off her feet as he kissed her. Everyone thankfully gave them space as they kissed, and when they both broke apart, both were blushing madly.

"A-ash..."

"Sorry, don't know what came over me." Ash grinned.

"I love you Ash."

Ash stared at her, unsure of what to say. Everything went deathly silent...until...

"May, I love you too, but I can't believe you said it before I could. I'm pretty sure its usually the guy that says it first." Ash joked.

May playfully smacked him as a low groan came from behind them. Max and Pikachu were stirring.

"Guh...what happened?" Max asked.

"Max, you're ok!" May yelled as she let go of Ash and ran over to him and started hugging him.

"Stop it May, you don't have to hug me so hard!"

"Max, I thought I lost you!"

Ash was about to comment when Ho-oh interrupted them. "Sorry to cut this sappy moment short, but we need to get out of here some time closer to now. The city's about to go down."

"You mean like back underwater?" Brock asked.

Cresselia nodded. "This city was being held up by the king's powers, but now that he has been defeated, the city will fall."

"But...what about the people?" Ash asked.

"They were merely the illusions of what the king wanted. The king wanted to see his empire again. An empire would feel empty if there were no people, now wouldn't it?"

A low rumble caused the ground to shake. Cresselia and Ho-oh lowered themselves down.

"Get on our backs and we'll take you home." Cresselia said.

Ho-oh looked disgusted at the thought of letting humans ride it, but none the less it allowed Ash, May, and Pikachu onto his back while Brock and Max went on Cresselia. They lifted off into the air just as the ground below them crumbled and pieces were falling into the ocean. Ash craned his neck to look back at Poke'lantis, just in time to see June, who was standing on the cliffs next to the stone statue of April. June smiled and waved once just before vanishing into thin air and the cliffs soon followed after.

"It's going to feel weird going back to your place Ash. Your Mom must be worried sick wondering where we disappeared off to." Brock called from behind him.

Ash frowned, now thinking of his mom standing on her porch and calling for them. May, who was behind Ash and holding onto him, hugged him tighter.

"I'm sure she's alright, so don't worry about it."

Ash smiled back at her. He heard Ho-oh chuckle under him that sounded suspiciously like "You guys make a cute couple."

Both Ash and May opened their mouths to retort, but Brock, Max, and Cresselia were laughing too loudly for them to really comment, so they joined in too. Max, who was behind Brock, moved his head to one side so that they could see him.

"Hey May, when we get back, are we leaving?"

A horrible sinking feeling was now in the pit of Ash's stomach. That's right...May and Max are going back home and May's leaving to the Johto region.

May looked at Ash, noticing how his face fell, but surprisingly she hugged him closer. "Well Max, it depends on when Ash leaves."

Ash couldn't help but turn his head to gawk at her. "What do you mean?"

"Silly, we're coming with you!"

Ash was speechless. "B-but...what about your plan of going to Johto."

"Ash...I think that would be kind of cruel for us to tell each other are feelings and then just separate..." May pointed out.

Ash smiled and had to restrict himself from turning around and hugging her, otherwise they might have fallen off. "Thanks May, but you know...I would of gone to Johto with you..."

May shook her head. "I wouldn't want you to miss out on the Sinnoh league. Johto can wait for me. And besides..."

May smirked lightly as she leaned forward. "Would you really want me to be in the Johto region...with Drew?"

Ash sputtered. "Well of course not!"

"But then again, Drew may have given me roses and was nice to me...but I don't really like him."

Ash gave a sigh of relief. Oh thank-

"Now Harley on the other hand, that's different-"

"W-WHAT!?" Ash shouted loudly, which caused everyone to erupt into a fit of giggles.

"I'm just kidding Ash." May laughed before planting a kiss on Ash's cheek. She then turned to look behind her at Max. "What about you Max, do you want to come?"

A strange expression came over Max, it only briefly flickered across his features, but then he smiled. "Of course May!"

"Good. Then when we get back, it's off to Sinnoh, eh?"

"Well we might have to stick around my place for a while, Mom's gonna be furious that we left without saying a word." Ash pointed out. Cresselia and Ho-oh beat their wings harder as the group took off into the setting sun, Ash and May's laughter ringing the air as Brock and Max looked on, but as they flew on, no one noticed the familiar smirk that Max was wearing as they disappeared beyond the horizon...

Meanwhile...

"Well, we saved the world again." James commented. Team Rocket were clutching to a piece of driftwood that they found after being blasted off once again.

"True, but we're miles away from civilization. Who knows how long it's gonna take before we get there." Meowth pointed out sadly.

"It doesn't matter, because when we get back, we'll be going after the twerp's Pikachu!" Jessie said determinately.

"Ash." Meowth automatically corrected.

"Excuse me!?"

"His name is Ash. We've been chasing after them for years now, just restively calling him twerp gets kinda boring and confusing to the others he's with." Meowth explained.

"Fine. When not in company with them, we'll call them the twerps. Got it?" Jessie asked.

"Whatever, let's just get moving." James said boredly, but he's words were drone out as they heard a birdlike screech above them. Looking up, they saw Cresselia and Ho-oh flying above their heads, but luckily for them, Ho-oh was close enough to the water for James to reach out and grab a hold of his tail feathers. Jessie and Meowth quickly grabbed his legs as they were pulled into the air, but also lucky that Ho-oh didn't seem to have felt them grabbing its tail feathers, nor did the twerps-I'm sorry, Ash and his friends notice their presence.

"I guess we don't have to worry about taking too long getting back." Jessie whispered as not to attract the attention of the twe-Ash and his friends.

James didn't say anything until...

"You know, I still think that Ash's taste in fashion is-"

"You're still on that!?"

The trio argued about it (quietly of course) all the way back to the Kanto region.

-----------------

Later that evening...

Cresselia was flying alone that starry night, like many nights before. Well...the world was saved...the evil was contained...and Darkrai...

She didn't want to think along that line anymore, so her thoughts drifted to April, which made her slightly sadder. She was happy that April moved on and found peace, but now Cresselia was alone...again...

As Cresselia flew on, she heard a low sound, like the blowing of the wind, behind her. She turned her head and saw with vague surprise a familiar dark Pokemon that was following behind her, but not too close. Darkrai and Cresselia stared at each other for what felt like days. After a moment, Cresselia started to fly off again, but Darkrai did not follow. After going farther away by a mile or two, she turned back.

"Aren't you coming?"

Even though she couldn't see it, she knew that Darkrai was smiling as he followed after her and they disappeared back to their islands underneath the gaze of the moon.

----------------

It was cold. Very cold. But what made the terrain strangest was two very key factors. The ground below was blue while the sky was green. The land seemed to barren of all life forms. That is...except for the lone figure that was moving forward. Every footstep that he took left behind a shadowy imprint on the ground, as darkness trailed in wisps behind him. He didn't really have any recognizable features, only hands that ended in claws and glowing grey eyes.

It's mind was a complete and utter wreck. He wasn't the king...but he wasn't the brat...nor the dark Pokemon god. He was now merely darkness itself, a combination of all the things and people that it had plagued...Disjointed thoughts and memories went through its mind every few seconds, going by too quick for it to sort out. The only thing that it could think of was to escape...to escape back to that world and get its revenge on all those that had been foolish enough to get in its way and think that darkness could be so easily beaten. But how?

It came upon a waterfall that stood before it. As it stood in front of the running water, a grey shape was see-able beyond it. The shape of a large grey dragon with black and red wings and a yellow head that looked down upon the darkness with narrowed red eyes. The darkness laughed aloud to itself before a single word escaped it.

"Giratina."

UltaFlame

I'm weird accept it
dang. Every Heart, please send me a PM when you start the Sequel...

your writing is AWESOME.

while I don't support AdvanceShipping(or any shipping at all) this story had like, everything.

and uhh yeah, I can't wait to read the sequel.

poor Max, too bad i never really liked him...

I wonder what his plans for Giratina are o.o