• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The DC Universe Thread(Shows, Movies, etc etc...) *Potential Spoilers*

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
It's the opposite IMO. It's pretty easy to write a moment of "hope" as opposed to writing a villain who actually feels threatening and Steppenwolf was anything but that. Maybe it is due to us being aware that barry can travel through time and that kills all stakes. Poor steppy never stood a chance.
For me, it's the opposite. The moment of "Hope" is usually the payoff moment after the dark and gritty storytelling, "Despair" being the part 1 (the build up) to "Hope" being the Part 2 (the pay off). Most movies don't get past the "dark" and "gritty" angle and because of that, it's even harder to do a moment of "hope" without having it come off as forced and pretentious.

Even if you succeeded in doing the "dark" and "gritty" angle, how do you write a moment full of hope where there are real stakes and that it makes sense in the face of everything that's been built up to? That's why the Flash scene worked so well in the Justice League movie. Because the villain has won, he only has one shot, and he's at a disadvantage and despite those odds, he succeeded and the audience understands how he succeeded due to how his powers work.

Whereas something like of recently, Raya & The Last dragon. I thought the movie almost did well with it's villains and in creating a darker tone for a disney movie. The problem though is that instead of embracing what they created (for example, the antagonist playing the role of a baddie pretty well), they tried to force it into a redemption arc that doesn't work and the message of hope and understanding comes off as forced and pretentious.

Last edited:

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
I watch the DC movies, but I’m not as invested in them as the Marvel stuff.

Now DC TV on the otherhand... I still don’t get why so many people like to complain about the Arrowverse. I enjoy it... For the most part. Though I’m not fully caught up yet...

Tepig Pignite Emboar 969

I am glad someone decided to do a DC Universe thread on this forum, since I like DC Comics and Pokemon. Well, I don't really read the comics, but I do watch the Cartoons, TV shows and Movies, especially the DC Animated Universe cartoon shows. (For those who don't know and I recommend watching them if you haven't seen them, it is Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, The Zeta Project, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited). I watched those cartoons over and over again because that is how great they are. I used to watch them also on Kids WB and Cartoon Network at the same time as Pokemon, when the episodes were first airing. I hate to say it on a pokemon forum but I think I like these shows more than the Pokemon anime. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Pokemon anime too.

Morax

King of heroes
That's why the Flash scene worked so well in the Justice League movie. Because the villain has won, he only has one shot, and he's at a disadvantage and despite those odds, he succeeded and the audience understands how he succeeded due to how his powers work
I don't think he was at a disadvantage. It's not like he had any problems reversing time, that part came easy. And because we knew that barry could travel through time it killed that suspension of disbelief since he can do it over and over again. That made steppenwolf less threatening than he was.

A better 'moment of hope' was resurrecting superman because it came with a cost ( that alternate future we see is a direct result of this choice ).

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I watch the DC movies, but I’m not as invested in them as the Marvel stuff.

Now DC TV on the otherhand... I still don’t get why so many people like to complain about the Arrowverse. I enjoy it... For the most part. Though I’m not fully caught up yet...
Batwoman is the only thing I see getting trashed on a regular basis and I agree 100% with it.
I have nothing against the actresses of either Batwoman(The new actress is actually pretty good), the writing just sucks on that show. It's still the same writing team despite the recast of the lead character
I'd rather they just get Batman, I'm tired of them doing all these spinoffs revolving around Batman like Gotham and ugh.... Alfred (He's an amazing character but doesn't need his own show, nor did Jim Gordon :rolleyes: ) but refuse to do Batman. It's clear a rights issue or something was stopping them earlier on but we got Superman now, a Bruce did appear in the multiverse, it clearly ended whatever it was. I wanna see Bruce Wayne kicking ass and tossing villains into the slammer, not shooting his villains yet the one villain that actually deserves it(Joker) is somehow STILL alive????

Superman on the other hand, it's day and night. That show is marvelous, I'm actually looking forward to it coming back. Hopefully we get a Damien Wayne whenever Bruce finally shows so we can see the Super Sons! I love having a Superman that actually acts like Superman, hopefully Bruce Wayne isn't far off

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
I question the decision to bring in a brand new character and trying to build her up on the second season of Batwoman instead of just recasting Kate and continuing her story. The audience aren’t dummies. They can suspend their disbelief a little. We’ll understand Kate looks a little different now.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I question the decision to bring in a brand new character and trying to build her up on the second season of Batwoman instead of just recasting Kate and continuing her story. The audience aren’t dummies. They can suspend their disbelief a little. We’ll understand Kate looks a little different now.

I mean they are doing that now lol.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I just realized how Zatanna has never gotten her own movie or tv series despite being a popular character and having appearances in various DC animated movies. Her powers are pretty cool and it would be interesting to see what CGI effects they could come up with for a character that can basically do anything imaginable. Vixen is another super heroine that really needs her own movie.

Morax

King of heroes
I just realized how Zatanna has never gotten her own movie or tv series despite being a popular character and having appearances in various DC animated movies. Her powers are pretty cool and it would be interesting to see what CGI effects they could come up with for a character that can basically do anything imaginable. Vixen is another super heroine that really needs her own movie.
iirc she was in the movie justice league dark

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer

They did recently announce they’re doing a Zatanna movie.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I've currently started watching Titans on Netflix. I think I'm around episode 4 or 5. Don't know if I'll continue to watch it though, since I'm barely invested in any of the acting, but it's nice background material for when I'm gaming on the Switch.

I like that one with the shiny dress and the Magenta hair, she's a scenestealer.

Edit: I read somewhere that the 3rd season will be on HBO Max. My country doesn't have that, does anybody know if the 3rd season will also be on Netflix (like the first two?). Probably not.. :(

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
So I've been watching Young Justice Season 3 and it's fantastic. Honestly, Young Justice is one of my favorite DC animated shows. It's so good on every level.

Antiyonder

Overlord
So I've been watching Young Justice Season 3 and it's fantastic. Honestly, Young Justice is one of my favorite DC animated shows. It's so good on every level.
Same.

If you haven't already, you should try the collection of tie in comics. Book One Early Missions and Book Two Growing Up.

They are actually Canon and due to the time stamps I made a simple listing of where they fit in with the show and video game.

There's even a can audio play called The Prize set after Outsiders.

Edit: Even got those YJ figured from McDonald's back in the day of Season 1.

AAQfvwAAByj9.jpg

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Anybody watching Superman and Lois, I really like the show, it really feels like they are putting in more effort with it compared to others.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Anybody watching Superman and Lois, I really like the show, it really feels like they are putting in more effort with it compared to others.
They rebooted that 90s series? Wow. They will reboot almost anything yet some shows deserving a reboot/revival such as Family Matters are never even considered.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I watched The Suicide Squad earlier and it was a big improvement over the previous one! It was a lot better paced with everything given time to breathe and, while some parts were slow, I think it was made up by the entertaining moments in the action and humor with the movie. Also give King Shark his own movie thanks

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The new Suicide Squad curb stomps the last one for sure!
Peacemaker is cool but eh.... I'd rather James Gunn do more MCU cosmic stuff, the Eternals looks SUPER bland

Locormus

Seems like this post killed this thread, let me try to revive it:

Is anybody going to watch Titans s3 now that it's coming to Netflix? I'm willing to give it a shot.

-------

Haven't watched 'The SS' yet.

The fact that it's getting quite a lot of positive reviews is nice. From what @Dragalge is saying, well... it really just makes you wonder why the heck WB didn't let Ayer do his own thing (I think I know why though).

Obviously Gunn had the reputation to do whatever he wanted (he has established himself in the genre with a very similar franchise (GotG). He had creative liberty and in comparison, Ayer obviously did not. Sure, from the looks of things in SS - Ayer probably wanted to do TOO much in a movie where most people went in solely on the basis that it had a very attractive and sassy Harley Quinn in the trailer and they knew Will Smith. Call me weak or sexist, but sparkly hotpants are a weakness (and I'll be damned if WB isn't fully aware of this!) and I'm a 90's kid so when I see the Fresh Prince it's basically hook, line and stinker..

I get that Snyder had copious amounts of story and footage. Justice League was supposed to be WB's Avengers. Those are your S and A-tier heroes in a team-up movie! It's reasonable that you want to give all of them screentime and maybe even an arc and expect your audiences to be along for the ride even if it takes 3 hours to do so, because the odds were high they were attached to the characters because MoS and BvS. But then the execs showed they simply don't know their material and tell a director with a vision to cut it up.

However, imagine going to see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.1 - a movie where I knew 0 of the characters and only knew Chris Pratt as an actor and had seen Zoe Saldana as that Na'vi from Avatar, so basically less of a starting point as I had for SS- and it having even more characters, more (sub-)plotlines, tangents that literally led nowhere (pun intended) and being 3 or more hours long.

Yeah, if I were a movie executive I'd also be scratching my head.. and tell the director to go for the bare minimum. For Ayer that probably ended up meaning cutting out any real plotbeats he might've wanted and half of what he might've intended with most subplots - which in turn resulted in a very disfunctional movie with barely any well-established characters. I mean if you wamt to use Batman and Joker just do a BATMAN MOVIE!!! Instead he should've been cutting out some characters and subplots entirely, which would've streamlined the movie by a lot. He could've even done this by culling a lot more of his roster through onscreen deaths then he did. I mean how many ended up dieing in SS? Maybe two???

Compared to GotG which at its core was a very straightforward movie: 'StarLord -and his newfound group of unlikely allies- needs to keep a special orb away from the bad people'. To this day I am still unable tell you the ordeal of SS in a single, easy to understand sentence and I've seen the movie 3 or 4 times. Best I can come up with is 'Convicted villains are coerced into doing government dirty work and things don't go as planned'. But that just covers the basic idea and not the plot and just shows how irrelevant some subplots were..

Tl;dr:
1. Glad TSS is better then SS. I might watch it if it ends up on Netflix.
2. I support Snyder (JL has multiple S/A-tier characters), but don't see the point in an Ayer-cut (1 A-tier MC, surrounded by C or D-tier schmucks, horrid Batman+Joker-tangent unincluded)..
3. WB are twats and will forever be making more flops then hits unless they are willing to bother listening to someone who's in touch with the source material.
4. Consider myself more of an MCU-fan, but really liked Nolan's work, Aquaman and Joker. The DCEU as a whole is just objectively a trainwreck though. That's not coming from a MarvelStan, I've become increasingly vocal about BlackWidow and can see Eternals flopping hard, as not even Angelina will be able to carry that one.. Edit: Eternals didn't really flop, but didn't soar either. Critics canned it as soon as they could and most jumped on that bandwagon, but audiences generally liked it (78%).

Last edited:

Locormus

I'm currently watching Titans s3. It's actually quite entertaining. I've got a few episodes left to go. What's sad is that the WB-content might be dropped from Netflix soon due to them introducing HBO Max in the Netherlands in 2022. This is why I've been binging Titans the last two days and why I'll try and finish it tonight (I'm on episode 10).

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Titans is a solid show. I've enjoyed the other two seasons as well. When the show was announced I was a bit skeptical with some of the castings, but I was proved wrong. The Teen Titans animated show was one of my favorite shows growing up.

I used to watch the CW DC shows a lot, but I slowed down after Arrow ended. I still watch the Flash, but I feel like the show has ran it's course just like Arrow did. It's probably a good thing that the Flash is coming to an end. Superman & Lois is a good show so far. It's brand new and fresh. Sadly, I just have no interest in Batwoman. I gave the show a chance, though. Honestly, I would have rather had a Batman Beyond show, but that's too much to ask for lol. I used to watch DC Legends of Tomorrow and Black Lightning, but I kind of gave up on them. Same with Super Girl. However, I'll watch the final episode of Super Girl at some point. I did enjoy the shows first few seasons.

Star Girl is a fun new show. Season 1 was fun. At some point I'll watch the new season.