• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Death Penalty

Morton Belgram

The death penalty runs of the fallacy of two wrongs making a right. You cannot bring a dead person back to life by killing the murderer.

No, it doesn't. The death penalty ensures that murder does not happen (if the country has a rich population, look at Singapore, Japan, Brunei, etc.), so it results in less wrongs being comitted.

I view the death penalty as a protection for the people, because that's basically what it does. It protects people from being murdered.

Scammel

So clearly, countries with the death penalty must also have lower murder rat...

Oh.

Last edited:

Morton Belgram

So clearly, countries with the death penalty must also have lower murder rat...

Oh.

1) You didn't understand what I said.
2) You need to do some more research.

The death penalty alone is not enough if the people have bad living standards.

Brunei has the death penalty, yet its extremely low murder rate puts most Western countries to shame (except Monaco and Liechtenstein, which are so small that it would be a shock if any murder occured there, and Iceland). Death penalty is not a MUST to hinder murders from happening, as you can merely satisfy people with money, but if the death penalty is carried out strictly enough and there are no legal loopholes for the murderes to get out of the situation, then any rich nation would immediately gets at murderless as Brunei.

Singapore, another rich country with the death penalty, makes peaceful Denmark look like a scary murderous place when looking at the murder rates, lol. There are actually quite a lot of examples. I guess you have just been looking at the wrong numbers.

The conclusion is:
You can't stop murders by implanting the death penalty loosely on a poor population.
You have to implant it strictly, on a rich population, and the result will be an almost crimefree society.

Scammel

2) You need to do some more research.

Mate, you could try doing any research rather than flinging out assertions without basis other than your own logic. Come on, stats! I'm all ears. You'll have to demonstrate to me how it is that the richest nation on Earth, with the fourth richest population on Earth, with both the death penalty and a notoriously high prison population, has higher crime rates than poorer states developed states without the death penalty and more lenient sentences?

If your assertion was true, wouldn't it also be the case that in rich countries that crime increases as executions fall? Because again, it doesn't seem to be the case in the richest nation on Earth.

Morton Belgram

Mate, you could try doing any research rather than flinging out assertions without basis other than your own logic. Come on, stats! I'm all ears. You'll have to demonstrate to me how it is that the richest nation on Earth, with the fourth richest population on Earth, with both the death penalty and a notoriously high prison population, has higher crime rates than poorer states developed states without the death penalty and more lenient sentences?

If your assertion was true, wouldn't it also be the case that in rich countries that crime increases as executions fall? Because again, it doesn't seem to be the case in the richest nation on Earth.

If you're referring to USA, with their ghetto people and butter execution system, then yeah, horrible example.
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Violent-crime/Murder-rate

How come the murder rate is so much lower in rich states WITH the death penalty?

Explain to me why USA is so violent. Perhaps, if USA implanted death penalty more in the same sense as Singapore and other countries with proper strict death penalties, and if USA didn't have to many ghetto people and all this racist tension, then yeah, USA would manage to be as peaceful as the rich countries with death penalty. People are way richer in Singapore and Brunei than in the USA and they have a way stricter death penalty system. Those two factors are the reasons why they have so little murder compared to USA. USA's death penalty system is a joke. Look how few executions compared to the amount of murders, lol.

Make the American people richer and make the punishment stricter, there you go, a murderless America, just like Singapore and Brunei.

Last edited:

Scammel

This word is all you have - no actual evidence, just assertions. You need to demonstrate a relationship.

Those two factors are the reasons why they have so little murder compared to USA.

You forgot to include the link that demonstrates correlation. You can't, or else rich Western states without the death penalty wouldn't have lower crime rates than the US.

Last edited:

Morton Belgram

This word is all you have - no actual evidence, just assertions.

You forgot to include the link that demonstrates correlation. You can't, or else rich Western states without the death penalty wouldn't have lower crime rates than the US.

No, the word is not all I have. I have the numbers. Looking at all states, by the numbers of GDP per capita and by murder rate, you will see a pattern.

Low GDP per capita, regardless of death penalty or not = Murders will happen.
High GDP per capita and loose death penalty or no death penalty = Variates. Iceland is great and peaceful, USA is dangerous.
High GDP per capita and strict death penalty = Almost guaranteed no murders (examples, Brunei and Singapore).
Very small nations and islands where everyone knows each other, regardless of death penalty or not = Almost guaranteed no murders.

If you should find some numbers to prove my claim (factually based on numbers) wrong, then try.

A nation can be peaceful with or without the death penalty, as Iceland proves, but no rich countries with a strict death penalty system posseses any significant murder problems at all. The numbers don't lie.

Please read up, bro.

Oh, and in Singapore and Brunei, murderes actually do get executed. In USA, there are almost no executions despite the massive amount of murders. Don't call USA a nation with "the death penalty", unless you remember to call it "butter death penalty" or "loose death penalty", be specific so you don't misinform people.

Last edited:

Scammel

So, of your four points, only one might - might - suggest a correlation between the death penalty and low murder rates.

Low GDP per capita, regardless of death penalty or not = Murders will happen.

So... no correlation?

High GDP per capita and loose death penalty or no death penalty = Variates. Iceland is great and peaceful, USA is dangerous.

So... a correlation in the opposite direction? Rich Western states without the death penalty are safer, rich Western states with the death penalty are more dangerous?

Micronation, small island where everyone knows each other, regardless of death penalty or not = Almost guaranteed no murders.

So... no correlation?

no rich countries with a strict death penalty system posseses any significant murder problems at all. The numbers don't lie.

Camembert consumption in Singapore is also very low. Clearly, it's the cheese driving people to murder.

Morton Belgram

So, of your four points, only one might - might - suggest a correlation between the death penalty and low murder rates.

So... a correlation in the opposite direction? Rich Western states without the death penalty are safer, rich Western states with the death penalty are more dangerous?

The people of Iceland are richer than the people of USA, they have a higher average IQ than the people of USA.
In Iceland, there are no ghettos or seriously poor people.
Those are the reasons why Iceland is safer.

The American death penalty carries no weight when comparing USA to Iceland, due to the death penalty barely being carried out, which is why I put them in the same category.

You still seem to avoid the point... Mention me one country which is:
1) Rich, to the degree of almost no poverty, and
2) Carries out the death penalty strictly, no loopholes.

If you can mention me such a country which has a significant murder rate, then you would have a point, but you can't. The combination of strict death penalty and a rich population is proven in practice to eliminate murders.

Scammel

The people of Iceland are richer than the people of USA, they have a higher average IQ than the people of USA.

Er, no. The US has higher PPP per capita, and the difference in average IQ is a whopping three.

Why is France safer? France has plenty of banlieues, and lower PPP.

You still seem to avoid the point... Mention me one country which is:
1) Rich, to the degree of almost no poverty, and
2) Carries out the death penalty strictly, no loopholes.

I don't have to, because I'm not the one trying prove a correlation. You've named three countries out of two hundred with both the death penalty and low murder rates (and gun control, I might add), and hand-waved away every example to the contrary. You've admitted yourself that there are scores of nations where the death penalty either appears to not have any effect at all or an effect to the contrary.

Last edited:

Morton Belgram

You've admitted yourself that there are scores of nations where the death penalty either appears to not have any effect at all or an effect tot he contrary.

Please quote where I admitted that the death penalty has no effect or a contrary effect. You may carry that naive belief, but do not ascribe it to me.
While you're at it, tell me in which nation the death penalty has made murder rates increase? With numbers, please.

And once again, you're claiming wrong things. Iceland has a higher GDP than USA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

Scammel

And once again, you're claiming wrong things. Iceland has a higher GDP than USA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

I'll let you off, though I was quite clearly referring to PPP, the more representative figure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

While you're at it, tell me in which nation the death penalty has made murder rates increase?

I can't demonstrate concrete causation, but that was never my point - neither can you. I don't have to prove the contrary, because you can't demonstrate a consistent trend. You have three nations that might demonstrate correlation. Why did you dismiss the example of France, by the way?

Morton Belgram

I don't have to prove the contrary, because you can't demonstrate a consistent trend. You have three nations that might demonstrate correlation.

Do I only have three? So if I inform you about more than those three, will you then admit the existence of correlation?
And if you do not know about the nations I will mention, do you then admit that you did not read up on the statistics I sent from Nationmaster?

Scammel

Do I only have three? So if I inform you about more than those three, will you then admit the existence of correlation?
And if you do not know about the nations I will mention, do you then admit that you did not read up on the statistics I sent from Nationmaster?

No, because here's thing - I can go to the exact same list, and pick out exactly the same number of rich countries without the death penalty from the bottom 10%.

Why did you dismiss the example of France, by the way?

Morton Belgram

No, because here's thing - I can go to the exact same list, and pick out exactly the same number of rich countries without the death penalty from the bottom 10%.

Why did you dismiss the example of France, by the way?

Yes, you can pick out rich nations from the list who does well without the death penalty. That merely proves one of my points, which was that the death penalty is not neccessary (though a clear improvement).
However, you can not pick out a nation on the list with a high murder rate which is both rich and has a strict death penalty system (not the creamy butter system of USA).

And there lies the point. There are many rich nations with the death penalty. None of them have problems with murder.
Likewise, there are many rich nations who either doesn't have the death penalty (like Iceland) or has a irrelevant form of death penalty (like USA). Several of them have problems with murders.

So, we see that the death penalty is not neccesary, but that it, in combination with a rich population, ALWAYS turns out to eliminate murder. A rich population makes a low murder rate likely, but a rich population with a strict death penalty is a guarantee that murder will be almost nonexistent.

Scammel

the death penalty is not neccessary (though a clear improvement).

See, if you're going to sell your entire argument on basis that some rich nations with the death penalty ALWAYS perform marginally better than nations without it... you're going to have to make sure that it's actually the case, and that, say, Hong Kong doesn't come out on top in your very own source.

irrelevant form of death penalty (like USA).

How have you determined that it's statistically irrelevant? I mean, you neglected to mention that Brunei hasn't executed anyone in over 30 years? Bahrain averages about 0.5 executions per year since 2007?

Why did you dismiss the example of France by the way?

Last edited:

Bananarama

The light is coming
If you're referring to USA, with their ghetto people and butter execution system, then yeah, horrible example.

You do realize that "ghetto" is a racist dog whistle, right? I sincerely hope you aren't implying that working-class people of color are responsible for crime.

Rather than keeping murderers and rapists in prison for the rest of their lives thereby wasting taxpayer money(it costs so much), I'm inclined to support the death penalty

There are some people who just can't be rehabilitated.

Pikachu52

FoxMan32

I am for the death penalty for murderers and rapists. A person should think that he is harming another person and that for this he can be killed too.