• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Decisive Super Battle! Pikachu VS Mimikyu!! (1019)

DatsRight

Really I can say this is only Mimikyu battle was good not Team Rocket

That was admittedly a downside, TR themselves didn't do much but set up the Z Move.

While I like Mimikyu being a threat, I hope Mareanie and maybe even Meowth and Wobbuffet get some involvement later on.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Gotta love those lightsaber puns that Pikachu & Mimikyu made during their battle. Looks like Electro web is an good replacement for Pikachu but I didn't care about the Pokemon, I was cheering more on Mimikyu to beat it, but of course the writers had to pull the hero card with that random 10000000v move again. It took a while for Bewear to figure out the decoys until their recordings died and I like how it respected Mimikyu's pride to finish the fight before it took TR away. Decent episode I guess.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Huh, definitely didn't see Electroweb here. Idk how to feel about it as of now. I'll wait to form an opinion once we see it's application.

The battle was great though, part of me wanted to see Mimikyu win lol.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The battle was great though, part of me wanted to see Mimikyu win lol.
Yeah although I predicted that Pikachu would have won because of the fast approaching Grand Trial. And it seemed that Mimikyu was easily dominating the match for most of the battle because it was able to deflect a lot of Electro Balls.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Maybe that particular Z-crystal is special.

It did start glowing back in SM019 (rematch against Tapu Koko episode).

I don't like how it's kind of been unexplained right now but it's not completely out the blue.

Anyways, Electroweb! Finally a move that has more strategic elements to it and can show off Pikachu more than fast move, physical move and special moves. I wouldn't call it out the blue either since it seems to be an evolution of Electroball.

I also like how Mimikyu completely disgusted TR like it's not at all what they expected when they used Let's Snuggle Forever.

Bewear was pretty funny although given it figured out TR were dummies I don't see how they get off the island. Maybe there is a heartfelt goodbye at the end of the saga.
maybe not exactly the particular z crystal, but ash and pikachu's energy, which made it blow up with the regular z-ring (ep 19, like you mentioned) is able to upgrade the crystal with the z-power ring

Jangobadass

Surprise!
Oh, Arceus on a scooter...:mad:

I thought Bewear would take the TRio away just before they could win again. This...this might be even worse x_x

Excuse me, waiter! There's a been a mix-up! I've got a Best Wishes episode in my Sun & Moon series! :(

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Yes, it wasn't normal compared to the usual Blaze, I cannot deny that but there's the thing: As a Chimchar, it already possessed the ability but couldn't fully utilize it by itself. Paul tried with his own training method to brought out this ability but he ultimately failed. Ash took care of Chinchar instead and through hardships, his own training method and bonding managed to utilize Blaze at its fullest extent. Chimchar was special but Ash was the one who brought out its true potential just like with Froakie's case. Ash worked hard with his Pokemon to fully use Blaze. What Ash had done to successfully get and use Pikashunium-Z though? Nothing. It's just conveniently handed to him. This is my definition of a "cheap power up".
*Know I'm a bit late in replying to this, but anyway....*

Actually there in lies the fallacy in your comparison, comparing Imfernape, a Pokemon which Ash caught in that particular region, to Pikachu, who is Ash's lifelong partner, has been with Ash since the start of the show, has an already long established unbreakable bond with Ash. In Infernape's or say in Greninja's case, the writers had to show Ash working and training hard with them, going through many hardships and difficulties, in order to unlock their special powers they inherently possessed, a.k.a., Blaze and Ash-Greninja form respectively. Infernape and Greninja were Pokemon that Ash caught in that particular region, they didn't have an already established bond with Ash, so the writers had to show their development via development arcs to establish their strong bond with Ash which would justify their special power, a.k.a., Blaze and Ash-Greninja form respectively.

But that's not in the case of Ash and Pikachu, they already have long established, strong and unbreakable bond, they are life long partners. So why would the writers need to show Ash and Pikachu training hard or going through a tough development arc to obtain Pikashunium-Z? There's hardly any need for that.

So no, you can't really call Pikashunium-Z as a cheap power-up considering Ash and Pikachu's long established unbreakable bond.

The same answer goes to @Locormus too.

Last edited:

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
*Know I'm a bit late in replying to this, but anyway....*

Actually there in lies the fallacy in your comparison, comparing Imfernape, a Pokemon which Ash caught in that particular region, to Pikachu, who is Ash's lifelong partner, has been with Ash since the start of the show, has an already long established unbreakable bond with Ash. In Infernape's or say in Greninja's case, the writers had to show Ash working and training hard with them, going through many hardships and difficulties, in order to unlock their special powers they inherently possessed, a.k.a., Blaze and Ash-Greninja form respectively. Infernape and Greninja were Pokemon that Ash caught in that particular region, they didn't have an already established bond with Ash, so the writers had to show their development via development arcs to establish their strong bond with Ash which would justify their special power, a.k.a., Blaze and Ash-Greninja form respectively.

But that's not in the case of Ash and Pikachu, they already have long established, strong and unbreakable bond, they are life long partners. So why would the writers need to Ash and Pikachu training hard or going through a tough development arc to obtain Pikashunium-Z? There's hardly any need for that.

So no, you can really call Pikashunium-Z as a cheap power-up considering Ash and Pikachu long established unbreakable bond.

The same answer goes to @Locormus too.

No, you missed the point of my post. You claim that just because Ash has an established bond with Pikachu justify sudden Z-crystal evolution with zero explanations. Going by your logic, Ash has no point on working with Pikachu for anything because their bond automatically overcomes hard work. If that was the case, Ash wouldn't have to work on either Electrium-Z or Normalium-Z with him because they have the unbreakable bond that you claim. So no point in training in general either since Pikachu is around since episode 1 while the other Pokemon aren't. So we can just give random boosts to Pikachu because of this bond. No, sorry but it doesn't work like that. Bond by itself neither justify progress nor is an answer to cover up cheap power ups which lack an explanation. Pikashunium-Z compared to the previous cases feels completely unearned and out of place.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Guess the animators really still like the animation of 'Electro Ball'.

As after re-watching the episode, its clear to me now that the start-up/charge-up animation for 'Electroweb' is the same as 'Electro Ball'.
The only difference, rather than the ball being launched at the opponent directly, here the launched ball first bursts and forms into a net, and then falls on the target.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
No, you missed the point of my post. You claim that just because Ash has an established bond with Pikachu justify sudden Z-crystal evolution with zero explanations. Going by your logic, Ash has no point on working with Pikachu for anything because their bond automatically overcomes hard work. If that was the case, Ash wouldn't have to work on either Electrium-Z or Normalium-Z with him because they have the unbreakable bond that you claim. So no point in training in general either since Pikachu is around since episode 1 while the other Pokemon aren't. So we can just give random boosts to Pikachu because of this bond. No, sorry but it doesn't work like that. Bond by itself neither justify progress nor is an answer to cover up cheap power ups which lack an explanation. Pikashunium-Z compared to the previous cases feels completely unearned and out of place.
Did Ash and Pikachu work hard for using Normalium-Z or Electrium-Z? Remind me but I didn't remember anything like that. Ash got Normalium-Z the previous day by beating Totem Gumshoos, and the next day you see Pikachu demolishing Hala's Hariyama with Breakneck Blitz, the first time Ash used the Z-move. The first time Ash and Pikachu used Gigavolt Havoc, it worked perfectly but Ash's Z-crystal shattered, because Ash at that point of time was really inexperienced with Z-moves. After getting a bit of experience with Z-moves, Pikachu used Gigavolt Havoc in SM11 without Ash's Z-crystal even shattering. So as we see, Ash and Pikachu hardly had to train much to use Electrium and Normalium-Z.

And you claim that 'bond by itself doesn't justify progress'. Why? Ash and Pikachu have been around since the very start of the anime, they have gone through so many adventures and hardships together, they have always been together with each other through Ash's long journey as a Pokemon trainer. It has been a journey of over 1000 episodes for Ash and Pikachu. Through what all they have gone together so far, they have gained such an unbreakable bond. So after all these they have gone through together, how wouldn't it justify their progress? It'd look rather ridiculous if Ash and Pikachu, after all they have gone through together over 1000 episodes, still have to go through tough times in a development arc (like Ash's other regional aces/his other Pokemon do) in order to master 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt. Going through periods of doubts and tribulations after they have together as life long partners for over 6 regions and after fighting so many tough battles together.....it hardly would make much sense IMO.

Last edited:

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Did Ash and Pikachu work hard for using Normalium-Z or Electrium-Z? Remind me but I didn't remember anything like that. Ash got Normalium-Z the previous day by beating Totem Gumshoos, and the next day you see Pikachu demolishing Hala's Hariyama with Breakneck Blitz, the first time Ash used the Z-move. The first time Ash and Pikachu used Gigavolt Havoc, it worked perfectly but Ash's Z-crystal shattered, because Ash at that point of time was really inexperienced with Z-moves. After getting a bit of experience with Z-moves, Pikachu used Gigavolt Havoc in SM11 without Ash's Z-crystal even shattering. So as we see, Ash and Pikachu hardly had to train much to use Electrium and Normalium-Z.

The fact that Ash actually worked on Normalium-Z for a day and mastered it doesn't imply that he put a lot of effort to achieve it in just one day? The fact that he did in one day doesn't mean that he didn't struggle at all. When he got Grassium-Z, he was doing the pose wrong so who said that there wasn't an issue like that with Normalium-Z too? Ash might used the Electrium-Z successfully the first time but Tapu Koko implied that Ash still had a long way to go with Z-Moves and that was just a test if he was worthy for that or not. Also, you said it yourself. Ash went through trials to get both Z-Crystals let alone using them later. Now I ask: what has he done to rightfully earn and use Pikashunium-Z even explaining how it appears?

And you claim that 'bond by itself doesn't justify progress'. Why? Ash and Pikachu have been around since the very start of the anime, they have gone through so many adventures and hardships together, they have always been together with each other through Ash's long journey as a Pokemon. It has been a journey of over 1000 episodes for Ash and Pikachu. Through what all they have gone together so far, they have gained such an unbreakable bond. So after all these they have gone through together, how wouldn't it justify their progress? It'd look rather ridiculous if Ash and Pikachu, after all they have gone through together overr 1000 episodes, still have to go through tough times in a development arc (like Ash's other regional aces/his other Pokemon do) in order to master 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt. Going through p;eriods of doubts and tribulations after they have together as life long partners for over 6 regions and after fighting so many tough battles together.....it hardly would make much sense IMO.

The fact that they have spent 1000 episodes together doesn't change that. Hardships never end in life. That applies for everyone. Ash and Pikachu are not perfect and will never be. They will always strive to get stronger through hard work to overcome every obstacle. This is how a Pokemon Trainer who claims that he wants to be a Pokemon Master should be doing. Ash and Pikachu haven't reached their limit and they will never do. They will always seek to get better and better together. And that doesn't apply only with Pikachu but with every other Pokemon that Ash owns.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
This weeks episode was really good, I enjoyed it very much so.

I really enjoyed the battle between Mimikyu and Pikachu. Mimikyu is a savage in battle. I know it hates Pikachu and all but dang, that thing is a beast in battle. It showed no mercy. Mimikyu’s Z Move is actually pretty terrifying, I would not want to the be the one its using it on, that’s for sure. That was a very creative way of of having Pikachu use Electroweb for the first time to protect itself from Mimikyu’s Z Move. Also, I was not expecting Pikachu to learn a new move, much less Electroweb, but I’m glad Electro Ball is gone. They never should have gotten rid of Volt Tackle for Electro Ball in the first place.

The only thing that took away from the episode was how Ash got the Pikashium Z. It’s pretty much a repeat of Ultra Space when Ash used 100,000 Volt Thunderbolt on Nihileho. Ash’s Z ring glows and boom, there’s the Pikashium Z. it’s like it comes when it sees fit and that annoys me. Like come on, writers. What were you thinking?

I admit I got a kick out of the ending when Bewear stuffed Team Rocket into a shopping cart and then dragged them off. I was glad Bewear did not just cart them off when things started to go bad for TRio and actually let them stay to battle Ash and Pikachu. I do not know where they come up with these ideas on how to get TR out of the episode but this time, I actually found it pretty funny.

So all in all, this was a really good episode, a lot better than last weeks. I did enjoy the battle but the way Ash got the Pikashium Z was real cheap. Hopefully he gets the real one in the end.

DatsRight

That wasn't for a battle though

Didn't he use Sparkling Gigavolt in the Alolan Meowth episode as well?

My only issue with Electro Web is that, given Electro Ball has been so long term, they maybe could have had a couple more build up moments in episodes prior, with an Electro Ball malfunctioning. I suppose if 10,000,000 Volts does end up building up to anything, this could serve the same purpose.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I'm not sure what I was expecting going into this episode, but I was actually a little taken aback by the intensity of the Pikachu vs. Mimikyu battle—not just the exchange of moves, but also the "chereography" of the battle, so to speak, with Pikachu and Mimikyu running all over the place, hopping on shelves, and Mimikyu knocking shelves over. If anything, this episode was another reminder that Mimikyu is a beast to contend with.

Pikachu learning a new move was the last thing I expected, but it was a very pleasant surprise! Electro Web is an interesting choice, since it would have many uses both inside and outside of battle. It's kind of a shame Ash didn't earn any Z-Crystal from that Trial (not that I was expecting him to), since that was an actual Trial Nanu gave him, but since there was no actual Totem Pokémon involved, it makes sense.

The return of 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt was also very unexpected, but I was glad to see that as Pikachu's finishing move, rather than a regular Gigavolt Havoc. It does make me wonder what exactly the criteria are for Ash's Electrium Z to transform. Is it related to the intensity of their emotions during battle? Emotions were running pretty high, after all. I hope future episodes eventually answer that.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
maybe it is Ash and Pikachu's bond that triggers the z-crystal transformation, but at the same time, The Tapu's could very well be held responsible as well.

They used their energy to evolve Ash's Z-ring rather than him simply swapping it out, that in turn is another possible reason for the transformation since no doubt their energy was imprinted into the ring.