• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Decisive Super Battle! Pikachu VS Mimikyu!! (1019)

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Definitely one of the better episodes in the series and a personal favorite.

Had a few comedic scenes; Lana trying to look like Mimikyu and making Sophocles nervous in class, the whole Bewear scene with Bewear realizing the TRio weren't actually there, the interactions between Nanu/TRio and Nanu/Ash (Nanu setting up the battle in the abandoned Megamart was a nice touch, btw). The reactions by James and Meowth, when they realized Bewear was behind them during the battle, and the end was funny too, with Bewear taking the TRio away in a shopping cart, I liked that exit.

The battle was pretty good too. I actually liked the fact, that Jessie didn't command Mimikyu at all really. I mean, Ash and Pikachu having to defeat that particular Mimikyu, made it seem more like a real Trial, almost like defeating a Totem Pokemon in a sense. Pikachu learning a new move, was definitely unexpected! I'm okay with Electroweb, I like it a lot more than Electroball. Bewear letting the battle be finished was a bit unexpected as well, but it HAD to be done, because it would've ruined the episode big time (if Bewear scooped up the TRio before the battle was completed). This is a showdown that I've been wanting to see for quite some time, so I'm glad it turned out the way it did. Seeing 10,000,000 Volt is always cool too.

I liked this episode so much, that I didn't even care that Ash didn't get a Z-Crystal or anything for winning the battle. All in all, there were quite a bit of unexpected things that happened in this episode, and I feel it was pretty balanced in a lot of aspects, which is why it became one of my favorites for this series. 10/10

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
I wish Kiteruguma's respect for Mimikyuu had been depicted by having him offer a cup of sake as they reached an agreement with sakura petals flying through the air. That would've been even funnier. I was also hoping that Kiteruguma would've jumped from the tree house and landed in an old school muscle car before driving off. That would've been hilarious. Otherwise, this was another great episode. There was a lot of great little moments with the facial expressions and how they moved.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I liked this episode so much, that I didn't even care that Ash didn't get a Z-Crystal or anything for winning the battle.

I personally wasn't expecting him to attain a Z-Crystal anyway since most of his Z-Crystals have been obtained during episodes that have had a serious tone, while this episode seemed purely comedic from the get-go.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I personally wasn't expecting him to attain a Z-Crystal anyway since most of his Z-Crystals have been obtained during episodes that have had a serious tone, while this episode seemed purely comedic from the get-go.
I'm not sure how this episode seemed purely comedic. Sure, the outset of the episode might have been comedic, but the actual battle itself between Pikachu and Mimikyu was anything but comedic. It was actually quite serious, with some rather intense moments. It was precisely the kind of battle where Ash would have normally earned a Z-Crystal. I think the main reason he didn't (in-universe) was because Nanu didn't give a crap.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
That Bewear scene was so unnecessarily intense I was cracking up just watching the camera zoom in.

I really enjoyed the dub for this episode. Lana's scary antics were hilarious to see and definitely one of my favorite moments. I knew Electro Web was coming, but I wasn't expecting 10 Million Volt Thunderbolt to return (or rather I forgot about it after reading the summary of the Japanese airing when it originally aired). Bewear was rather enjoyable in this episode, which I don't usually say. Overall, this was a great episode in my opinion.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
The only problem I have with Pikachu learning Electroweb has to do with the show's insistence on adhering to the 4-move limit. Electro Ball is a great move for Pikachu. But even if it wasn't, the 4-move limit is nothing more than gameplay difficulty control; it has no place in the show. Other than that, nothing's wrong, as the Pikachu line can learn that move legitimately. And hey, it helped Pikachu finally defeat Mimikyu.

Although it was a logical choice to have the Totem Battle theme play during part of Pikachu's battle with Mimikyu, the lackluster quality of Miyazaki's remix of it keeps me from being happy it's there. Same goes for the regular Alola Trainer battle theme being over Pikachu's new move. That one remix of the Motto theme that played over Mimikyu's Z-Move was all right, I guess. The dub music was good, too, though it paled in comparison to last week's dub music.

This was a neat episode. The main event is to come, though.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
ELECTROWEB!?!?!?!? I was beginning to think Pikachu was never going to learn a new move. It's been so long since Pikachu learned Electro Ball. The move will certainly add some interesting changes to the way Pikachu battles. Though, I am a little apprehensive about it, just because it seems like a move that Pikachu shouldn't really be able to use, as it was a move made for Galvantula, after all. I know Pikachu can learn it from move tutors, but a lot of move tutor moves kind of ignore what makes sense and just throw out random moves to random Pokémon. I suppose it's not that big of a deal.

Anyways, that was a pretty solid episode, as far as I'm concerned. The battle was pretty good, and we got to see Team Rocket use their Z-Move against Ash. I must say, I absolutely love how all of Team Rocket do the Z-Move poses together, it's a really nice touch and shows their comradery, which is one the things about Team Rocket that makes them my favorite characters.

Though, I am disappointed that this is probably the replacement for the Ghost Trial. We can see Ash fight Jessie's Mimikyu any time, but this would be the only chance for him to fight a Totem Mimikyu. Too bad.

DatsRight

ELECTROWEB!?!?!?!? I was beginning to think Pikachu was never going to learn a new move. It's been so long since Pikachu learned Electro Ball. The move will certainly add some interesting changes to the way Pikachu battles. Though, I am a little apprehensive about it, just because it seems like a move that Pikachu shouldn't really be able to use, as it was a move made for Galvantula, after all. I know Pikachu can learn it from move tutors, but a lot of move tutor moves kind of ignore what makes sense and just throw out random moves to random Pokémon. I suppose it's not that big of a deal.

Same, I was kinda annoyed how it felt like plot armour, especially given how quickly the match reversed and ended as soon as Pikachu mastered it, but it is one of those boosts that has came in handy in later episodes, and given the anime treats it as a non-damaging but practical move, it actually kinda works with how crafty Pikachu is supposed to be. It had a point besides to cop out the match and say Pikachu got something this series.

I am surprised they chose a Gen 4 move over promoting one of the new Let's Go attacks though. You'd think Pikachu would have got one of those while one of Sophocles team learned Electro Web.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The only problem I have with Pikachu learning Electroweb has to do with the show's insistence on adhering to the 4-move limit. Electro Ball is a great move for Pikachu. But even if it wasn't, the 4-move limit is nothing more than gameplay difficulty control; it has no place in the show.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I think that up until Hoenn they wouldn't worry about that restriction. They would only show a Pokémon using no more than four moves in any single battle/episode, but those four moves would rotate between all the known moves of the Pokémon. To this day, I am still so upset that they started enforcing this rule, if only because it meant Pikachu had to forget Volt Tackle. I honestly cannot comprehend why the writers thought it was a good idea for Pikachu to forget it's species' signature move, and a move that in-universe was said to make Pikachu special, as well as a move that just looked awesome, in order to learn a fairly average move in its place. It was just disappointing to say the least. I miss Volt Tackle so much.

DatsRight

Yeah, I can agree with that. I think that up until Hoenn they wouldn't worry about that restriction. They would only show a Pokémon using no more than four moves in any single battle/episode, but those four moves would rotate between all the known moves of the Pokémon. To this day, I am still so upset that they started enforcing this rule, if only because it meant Pikachu had to forget Volt Tackle. I honestly cannot comprehend why the writers thought it was a good idea for Pikachu to forget it's species' signature move, and a move that in-universe was said to make Pikachu special, as well as a move that just looked awesome, in order to learn a fairly average move in its place. It was just disappointing to say the least. I miss Volt Tackle so much.

It did at least downplay the use of spamming abilities as the plot demanded I guess, Pikachu was at the risk of having billions and billions of powers otherwise. Volt Tackle I admit was maybe a bit too similar to Quick Attack, and Pikachu needed some non-Electric moves for balance. Electro Web is handled far less generically than how Electro Ball is in the anime so it kinda worked out in the end.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It did at least downplay the use of spamming abilities as the plot demanded I guess, Pikachu was at the risk of having billions and billions of powers otherwise.

I'd take the abilities that plot demands if it means giving more variety in what a Pokémon can do. And, as far as Pikachu is concerned, even counting the one-off moves Pikachu used early in the series, Pikachu would only know 12 moves. Remove the one-off moves, and it's only 9. Then consider the fact that Pikachu doesn't need to use both Thunder Shock and Thunderbolt or both Agility and Quick Attack, and that would only give Pikachu 7 moves that it would be using. As long as they only tech Pikachu new moves at a very slow rate, as they have been, there's no real problem with Pikachu having "billions of powers."

Volt Tackle I admit was maybe a bit too similar to Quick Attack, and Pikachu needed some non-Electric moves for balance. Electro Web is handled far less generically than how Electro Ball is in the anime so it kinda worked out in the end.

I don't really know if you can say that Volt Tackle is similar to Quick Attack. Yeah, they both invole Pikachu ramming into an opponent, but they were typically used in completely different ways. Volt Tackle would be the reserve move to use when a decisive blow needs to be landed, while Quick Attack is more often than not used for its maneuverability and speed, for purposes such as dodging and mobility. By the same thought process, you could say that Electro Ball basically does the same thing as Thunderbolt, being a long-ranged Electric move.

DatsRight

I don't really know if you can say that Volt Tackle is similar to Quick Attack. Yeah, they both invole Pikachu ramming into an opponent, but they were typically used in completely different ways. Volt Tackle would be the reserve move to use when a decisive blow needs to be landed, while Quick Attack is more often than not used for its maneuverability and speed, for purposes such as dodging and mobility. By the same thought process, you could say that Electro Ball basically does the same thing as Thunderbolt, being a long-ranged Electric move.

That's largely the issue many have with Electro Ball anyway though, while turning it into Electro Web at least gives it a radically different use.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That's largely the issue many have with Electro Ball anyway though, while turning it into Electro Web at least gives it a radically different use.

Certainly. I am not against about Electro Ball being replaced. It just begs the question of why we need Electro Ball instead of Volt Tackle.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I don't get why Acerola is surprised Ash can train by himself. Isn't that what all trainers do?

Nanu's toy is cool. I don't think I could get as many in a row as he can.

I like how Lana's trying to scare Sophocles.

This was the best Ash vs. Team Rocket battle in the history of the show.

Why did Rotom tell Nanu all their new moves?

he should save it for the Grand Trial to surprise him.

Its still possible for it to cameo in the series atleast once, in order to showcase "Catastropika".

I expect it to be with somebody else's Pikachu. Ash's Pikachu is not going back to having Volt Tackle.

Maybe Electro Ball wasn't replaced either.

At the time you posted this, what did you think it replaced?

so every odd number gen Pikachu gets a new move?

Seems that way, although in Johto Pikachu randomly used Tackle and Leer, ironically moves it can't even learn.

Wasn't expecting Pikachu to learn any new moves until after Sun and Moon

Why, out of curiosity? it had been 7 years, the longest gap between Pikachu new moves. I expected it any moment.

I like new attacks, I just hate forgetting older ones

Well that's how it works haha. How can you learn new moves without forgetting them?

What makes you think it's totem?

~♪ Spider Rat, Spider Rat ♪~
~♪ Does whatever the writers say to do ♪~

It doesn't rhyme, bro.

Oh, Arceus on a scooter...:mad:

I thought Bewear would take the TRio away just before they could win again. This...this might be even worse x_x

Excuse me, waiter! There's a been a mix-up! I've got a Best Wishes episode in my Sun & Moon series! :(

??? what made this a BW episode?

I am surprised they chose a Gen 4

Electroweb's Gen V

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode. It may not have been a Totem Mimikyu, but Jessie's Mimikyu will suffice. The battle between Jessie and Ash was good, a bit surprising that Pikachu learned a new move, but it was needed, as he hasn't done so in many years. Kudos for Pikachu using Electroweb to protect himself from Mimikyu's Z-Move, Let's Snuggle Forever.

Liked how Mimikyu talked to Bewear saying that the battle was a serious battle and wanted to finish it completely. Bewear using a shopping cart, lol. It did finally caught on to the robotic Team Rocket.

Also nice to have a scene to see how Ash's classmates are doing along with Kukui. Lana attempting to scare Sophocles, heh! Ash is lucky to get away from school lessons!

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Acerola: Ash is training by himself?

Rotomdex: Yeah! He does it all the time!

Acerola: Then what was the point on the previous episode if he could do this by himself?

Rotomdex: He's a shonen kid! There's no sense of what he does!

Acerola: Oh.

So no one is going to ask why the building is even deserted? Not even a single mention? Geez. I lament the fact there isn't a Totem Mimikyu.

Ash, don't skip school. Oh, who am I kidding. It's impossible to get dropped out from school in Pokemon.

TRio was just kind of there. Once again, Mimikyu goes insane and does more work than they've ever done by themselves, and yet Jessie has the gal to say they are beating Pikachu for real (and apparently they forgot about that "win" they got against Ash dozens of episodes ago, which...is no different than this battle because Mimikyu did it all back then too).

This battle was just decent to me. Figures Pikachu didn't land a single blow, gets mauled alive by Mimikyu, the haxness of learning and using Electro Web to shield against a Z-Move which usually is always so tremendously powerful that it consumes all attacks in its path, and to use the same hax Z-Move they used on Nihilego just to make up for the fact Mimikyu was basically spotless.

Good job, Ash. Now toss Pikachu against Nanu. You'll win this time.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Great episode for fake Pikachu and a great episode for Pikachu! Right early on the audience can tell that fake Pikachu is fired up for the upcoming battle. Once it finally begins both sides showed superb performance and I would go so far to say that this might have been one of the closest head to head fights that Team Rocket ever had against Pikachu not counting tricks or anything. Though a lot of credit for that would probably go to fake Pikachu's (mimikyu's) own motivations.

I'm not sure whats up with the unorthodox name for fake Pikachus signature move but I guess its ok if that is what the pokemon chose to call it? I thought that the other details were very good too. Even though the location was just sorta randomly chosen on a whim, it became a fine setting for the showdown. When Team Rocket was almost in a position to finish off Pikachu, Ash notices that the conditions have been met to bring out their own ultimate attack move to answer the villains challenge!

Nice effort here. They should try hard to make more episodes of this caliber.