• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Description Thread

Falthor

The Magma Incarnate
I have been searching around the café lately and I have noticed threads which follow the format: "How do you guys describe (insert Pokémon aspect of fiction here, i.e. attacks, looks, towns, people, Poké Balls, etc.), so I took the initiative and created a thread for all authors to use in regards to anything about Pokémon-related fiction. Moderators, feel free to close this at your discretion. Authors, fire away.

Here is my question/idea for everyone:

I have an idea regarding evolution for my upcoming fanfic Black Odyssey. Since we have one legendary for almost every type (I think we don't have a Bug-type Legendary Pokémon yet...I'm almost positive), each "special one," for instance, Ho-oh, the Regis, the Legendary Birds and Beasts, act as guardians for every Pokémon in the world. When a Pokémon is deemed "ready" by the Guardians and Sovereign (the "Big Dogs," also known as the "übers" in competitive play), it will evolve into its next form. At other times, when a Pokémon abuses its power, the "Gods of Pokémon" - Mew and Arceus - would devolve the Pokémon one stage. The Gods also determine when a Pokémon is ready to learn new attacks, and the like.

What do you think?

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
Not to be Devil's advocate here or anything (I'd never do that, of course), but two points:

A) Should we really encourage *more* description?

B1) Why call it, 'The Description Thread' if all types of questions are welcome, and your question has nothing to do with description?

B2) At that... doesn't your question belong in the already-created fic ideas thread?

Falthor

The Magma Incarnate
Not to be Devil's advocate here or anything (I'd never do that, of course), but two points:

A) Should we really encourage *more* description?

I am not saying that; what I'm trying to say is, "If many people are asking how we should describe or see a portrayal of certain things in a new thread every time, then why not create a thread that acts as a convenience for everyone?"

B1) Why call it, 'The Description Thread' if all types of questions are welcome, and your question has nothing to do with description?

It's both a "description thread" and a "Your Portrayal of ______" thread.

B2) At that... doesn't your question belong in the already-created fic ideas thread?

Kinda-sorta. I'm quite unsure.

What will they be evolving/devolving into?

They will devolve and evolve into their prior and next forms, respectively.

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
It's both a "description thread" and a "Your Portrayal of ______" thread.

Well, there's a vast difference between, "How do you portray concrete event X?" and, "What is your interpretation of canon and does it work?"

Why not have called the thread, "Ideas about canon/fanon?"

*shrug* Just curious.

I mean, call me crazy and all, but this seems like a neatly disguised way to pimp your fic...

Last edited:

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Yes, I created two seperate threads for description. One for how different authors portray different Pokémon, i.e, their personalities, how they fight.

The other is for the use of Pokémon attacks in fanfics, and how each author differs in their display of them.

So really, neither of them are useless, or "a new thread every time". It's two threads, one for two completely different things.

Iota