• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Discord Sppf Fanfic server - time for a review

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Let's have a roundtable discussion - because stuff likes this needs feedback from the users! Some of this is prompted by staff level discussions a while back. See the thread sticky if you don't know what this is.

Please comment on any of the following:

- Do we still want to run the sppf fanfiction discord server (why/why not)?
--- Note that if the server was to be hypothetically retired we could easily look to having a fanfic/writing channel set up on the official Serebii Discord server. Other channels like general chat are already available on that server too.

- Are there any improvements that could be made to the current server, if we keep it?

- Are any previous concerns that came up that could still be improved upon without scrapping the server (old thread documenting these here for reference)?

- Anything else?

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
I am 100% for keeping the server. It's one of my Special Six servers that my closest friends hang out in. As for improvements... Maybe an events channel to tie into the forum events thing?

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
I've got little to say on the matter overall, I think, but I'll just say...

Do we still want to run the sppf fanfiction discord server (why/why not)?

Yes please. I've been to other servers where it's lumped in with the "main" forum server and it's really, really cramped for someone who's only here for the fanfiction.

Are there any improvements that could be made to the current server, if we keep it?

Hmm... I can't really think of much except possibly more discord integration? Sometimes the forums and the discord can feel a bit disjointed, though I am a bit biased in that I spend most of my time chatting on discord. This is largely because my job forces me to only be on my phone at most, and discord is significantly more mobile-friendly than the forums.

Are any previous concerns that came up that could still be improved upon without scrapping the server

I have nothing here to add, since I think I showed up to this whole party after the last time this happened and those concerns were brought up.

canisaries

sometimes i get a deadache, yeah
I'm also absolutely for keeping the server, and keeping it separate from the main server. Can't really think of any proper critique or suggestions beyond that, unfortunately... but I guess saying this is still more useful than nothing.

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
Caveat emptor: most of my feedback comes from the place of not being a any much a friend of platforms like Discord in particular.

- Do we still want to run the sppf fanfiction discord server (why/why not)?

I presume we still want? It mostly comes down to how separate the activity would be from a General Purpose Serebii Discord Server, and IMO if the level of activity was strong enough to see for example recurrent chatting in the plot scorbunnies channel, there'd be not much of a good reason to not run the server.

--- Note that if the server was to be hypothetically retired we could easily look to having a fanfic/writing channel set up on the official Serebii Discord server. Other channels like general chat are already available on that server too.

If that were to happen, is there any way we could keep an archive of some of the cool conversations there?

- Are there any improvements that could be made to the current server, if we keep it?

The only ones that comes to mind right now are:

* policies in place to prevent special treatment to be given to users who do things like "boost" the server, or otherwise policies to prevent monetization and paywalling.
* navigable chatroom logs, perhaps requiring a login
* a programmatical way to communicate subjects or conversation contexts from selected chatrooms to the writing-related subforum (a sort of "Currently on Discord: foo" newsreel if you will). I'm not sure what channel(s) would be best to report activity on, I leave that to those who know their userbase and statistics.

- Are any previous concerns that came up that could still be improved upon without scrapping the server (old thread documenting these here for reference)?

So far, everything I said about the Discord server in that thread seems to still stay valid so I'll avoid repeating myself.

- Anything else?

Since I didn't do my research last time but I did since then: may I suggest Matrix (matrix.org) ("I'm in") as an alternative or supplementary platform. It can but needs not be self-hosted, guaranteeing much better data independence and it can be federated to eventually allow Serebii chatrooms to collaborate with other communities' at a wider level if so desired.

Also, as a point on fairness: while most of this is in the context of the fanfic server specifically, the same general ideas apply to all Serebii Discord presences. And I know I said I would avoid repeating myself but I'll mention again my general nebulous concern of not making activity in the writing Discord detract from the writing subforum, as well as not making activity on the Discord platform be "required" (even with air quotes on) to be part of the community.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
I'm gonna be honest, I don't feel welcomed in the server anymore.

This new version of the server still kinda have the same problems as last server where certain members get better treatment/recognition than others. For instance, everyone else probably knows what works and characters several members are working and sometimes even make memes out of them. However, despite talking about my main project a lot, I get either silence or "isn't there someone working on project X", meaning no one is paying attention to me.

I admit, I haven't been giving reviews to the stories and not giving back to the community due to time constraints. I know giving validation to everyone is impossible. I just can't shake this bad feeling though that nothing has changed since last server.

Virgil134

PMD Writer
I don't really have too much to say, since I think the server itself is fine as is. Though if I had to recommend any improvements that could be made, perhaps the mods can promote the server a bit more actively on the forum? Right now the link to the server is kinda hidden away in the Author's Café and I feel like a lot of newer members don't even know that it exists.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Bump. More opinions, please.
I'm gonna be honest, I don't feel welcomed in the server anymore.

This new version of the server still kinda have the same problems as last server where certain members get better treatment/recognition than others. For instance, everyone else probably knows what works and characters several members are working and sometimes even make memes out of them. However, despite talking about my main project a lot, I get either silence or "isn't there someone working on project X", meaning no one is paying attention to me.

I admit, I haven't been giving reviews to the stories and not giving back to the community due to time constraints. I know giving validation to everyone is impossible. I just can't shake this bad feeling though that nothing has changed since last server.
You're the only one thus far sharing some concerns on the server. Could you share some more details or examples of the above? (Can be through PM/DM too if you feel more comfortable talking about this privately). Anyone have thoughts on this as well, or ideas to better address this?

Hmm... I can't really think of much except possibly more discord integration? Sometimes the forums and the discord can feel a bit disjointed, though I am a bit biased in that I spend most of my time chatting on discord. This is largely because my job forces me to only be on my phone at most, and discord is significantly more mobile-friendly than the forums.
Maybe events that run on both places...? Like write-a-thons or somesuch.
If that were to happen, is there any way we could keep an archive of some of the cool conversations there?
I could keep the server going, just lock it so it can be re-read.
The only ones that comes to mind right now are:

* policies in place to prevent special treatment to be given to users who do things like "boost" the server, or otherwise policies to prevent monetization and paywalling.
* navigable chatroom logs, perhaps requiring a login
* a programmatical way to communicate subjects or conversation contexts from selected chatrooms to the writing-related subforum (a sort of "Currently on Discord: foo" newsreel if you will). I'm not sure what channel(s) would be best to report activity on, I leave that to those who know their userbase and statistics.
Discord has a search function but it does suck. Nobody to my knowledge has offered to boost the server, but I don't plan on giving privalleges to anyone who does. Unsure if there is much worth on highlighting channels or discussions on discord on the forum sans making forum thread versions of interesting topics.
Since I didn't do my research last time but I did since then: may I suggest Matrix (matrix.org) ("I'm in") as an alternative or supplementary platform. It can but needs not be self-hosted, guaranteeing much better data independence and it can be federated to eventually allow Serebii chatrooms to collaborate with other communities' at a wider level if so desired.
I think giving the official Serebii instant chat is also Discord it wouldn't make sense to move to a different platform altogether.
I don't really have too much to say, since I think the server itself is fine as is. Though if I had to recommend any improvements that could be made, perhaps the mods can promote the server a bit more actively on the forum? Right now the link to the server is kinda hidden away in the Author's Café and I feel like a lot of newer members don't even know that it exists.
My concern here is that the Discord should be secondary to the forum and not overshadow it - a concern that had been raised by members the last time around.

Manchee

extra toasty
You're the only one thus far sharing some concerns on the server. Could you share some more details or examples of the above? (Can be through PM/DM too if you feel more comfortable talking about this privately). Anyone have thoughts on this as well, or ideas to better address this?

I will second her sentiments. I'm not the most active anymore but any time I've tried to come back and be Part of Things it feels like there are only a handful of people who get praise and attention. Not saying that everyone needs to be showered with reviews, but it's really disheartening to try talking about your works or a topic at hand and have someone swoop in, completely overshadow you, and everyone else give them full attention. It really discourages new people or those who are not part of the in-crowd from participating.

Just because Bay is the only one to bring this up so far doesn't make it invalid. I give her props for being brave enough to have the first dissenting opinions on the matter.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I will second her sentiments. I'm not the most active anymore but any time I've tried to come back and be Part of Things it feels like there are only a handful of people who get praise and attention. Not saying that everyone needs to be showered with reviews, but it's really disheartening to try talking about your works or a topic at hand and have someone swoop in, completely overshadow you, and everyone else give them full attention. It really discourages new people or those who are not part of the in-crowd from participating.

Just because Bay is the only one to bring this up so far doesn't make it invalid. I give her props for being brave enough to have the first dissenting opinions on the matter.
Thanks for adding in yourself.

Going to spitball here. First off, I will admit that this is not going to be easy to address - there's nigh always going to be more popular members in a community. But we can try.

Maybe we need something like a "book club" but for fics? Have a channel set up where every so often only one person's works can be discussed. Have a list so you (general you) can't have your works talked about consecutively or every couple months, and prioritise newer members. This could maybe be linked into a 'review their work' event thread too...

As for having a topic being discussed suddenly changed due to someone else coming in and dominating the chat/changing the topic to their interest, maybe some moderation or reminders at the least to keep to one topic for a while before changing it. Maybe this is something that needs to be structured, e.g. topic of the day/week? That said, the risk there is taking away possible topci discussion from the forum.