• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Distant Blue Sky

Blood Red

【推しの子】
The part where Ash just starts crying for seemingly no reason is so heavily underrated imo. Is he crying just because he didn't meet his dad, or is it because it just hit that someone he'd made friends with was gone forever and is never coming back? Does Ash even understand why he's crying?

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I liked the Ash-Pikachu moments and Delia gracing her presence unlike Ash’s PHONY, ABSENT, NON UGLY daddy! Giovanni/Sasaki sama is Ash’s father confirmed since he couldn’t stay for long and it would be a nice twist since he barely met the TRio’s boss and he couldn’t distinguish the TRio when they’re wearing phony costumes.

I can’t say this episode was bad or not decent. It was very enjoyable for what it showed. There were many parts that I really liked but I thought there would be more to it than just Ash helping out a spirit and his family. Plus my earlier concerns didn’t come true. The TRio were stupidly pointless here. The episode would’ve been better if they didn’t appear at all but I loved them chanting their classic theme with the music playing.

Last edited:

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
The part where Ash just starts crying for seemingly no reason is so heavily underrated imo. Is he crying just because he didn't meet his dad, or is it because it just hit that someone he'd made friends with was gone forever and is never coming back? Does Ash even understand why he's crying?
My interpretation of that scene is that Ash is crying because deep inside he knows how grateful he is to be alive. I think it's tears of gratitude, tears of joy, but also perhaps tears of sadness for Haruto's situation? He's alive, he can meet his mom, he can eat her cooking, he can play with his Pokemon. It's the small everyday things, like being able to eat delicious food, that we often take for granted. Ash is painfully aware Haruto couldn't experience any of those things any longer, so he must be feeling very grateful, but also very sad. I think that's why Ash cries specifically when he's eating that food.

But yeah, it was a very powerful scene.

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

I feel like it was intentionally left ambiguous. Flurry of things happened that could’ve led to him having a small breakdown. The tears could be because Ash’s enjoying his mother’s cooking after so long, his new friend is actually dead, it finally setting in that Haruto won’t be able to share nice moments with his family anymore, just overall being grateful for his loved ones (he thanked Pikachu when they got out of the forest), or due to the fact he was just shy of reuniting with his dad after so long. Also upon rewatch, Ash notes Pikachu hasn’t even met his dad yet, so he was probably excited to introduce these two.

I knew this episode was gonna be a sleeper hit. Very nice way to end off the year.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Spoiler tagging because I personally consider it part of the AU continuity, unconfirmed or not, so I'll go full fanboy/stan towards it

- That napping Raichu is so cute and adorable;

- Darn, look at Ash jumping high;

- And look at Ash trying to capture Gyarados. It didn't work but... He tried;

- That's why SUPERIOR universe is SUPERIOR. It just figures what the good stuff is and it delievers!;

- Losing Prime!Ash isn't the sad part. Losing the SUPERIOR AU version will be the sad thing;

- Hey, we are getting one last narration by Unsho Ishizuka. Archive audio or not, that's a great move;

- I can't stop chanting what's in my heart now: SUPERIOR UNIVERSE! SUPERIOR!!;

- Ash is talking to Delia. Business as usu...

HOLY GOD, ASH IS GOING TO MEET HIS DAD????????????;

- SUPERIOR UNIVERSE!;

- Turns out Team Rocket steal Pikachu while Ash was sleeping... Come to think about it, that might be their best plan ever. No fancy tricks, mechas or disguise. Plain cunning;

- SUPERIOR UNIVERSE affects even Team Rocket. Will its wonder ever end? I sure hope not!;

- I knew the scene of Ash getting the key and freeing Pikachu while TR was busy with the motto was coming but I laughed it. God, I love this SUPERIOR universe so much;

- It's starting to feel like Haruto might be some sort... Spirit?;

- By the way, "Haruto" is an interesting name given it's how the male player character from Scarlet & Violet was called in some promotional material. I wonder if the dub will use Florian or completly ignore it...

Most likely the later then;

- So... Haruto is most likely the child version of that painter guy;

- Ash sacrifices his own cap to get Haruto's back. What a guy;

- Also, that does show how much he's grown. Whether it's the one from the first series or from some other universe, it's a big progress from the kid throwing tantrums back in the day;

- Ah, Haruto is the kid of that couple who obviously passed away;

- Man, that sequence was sheer Shudo. The symbolism, the subtle themes, the human nature metaphors... Everything. He didn't write this but it wouldn't look out of place with his work in the show;

- I love how Ash wasn't scared or anything. He pulled off something that's was quite good and wholesome. Yet very true to his character;

- Turns out Ash's dad go away duo "an emergency". Well, at least we got something;

- Ash gets the classic cap. Which is a gift from his dad. Works quite well for me;

- I love we got Delia giving the food to TR. I guess she's figured out they were starving.

I'm extremely biased towards this AU, so I don't have words to describe how good it was. Regardless it's *really* the AU of ICY or not, it truly feels like it's a part of it. And as usual, it provides a Pokémon anime experience the show simply couldn't deliever. In my ways, I'd say it's a love letter to the first anime and all of that world as built with Shudo, though slightly adjusted to fit the modern sensibilities and portrayals fo that world.

Other than that, I have nothing more than praise for this one.

Maybe at least Delia had a good use of the time...
Everyone saying Riko is Ash's daughter... But turns out she is his sister instead
Bro...Takeshi Shudo didn't write this.
But in many ways, it was true to the spirit of how he approached the show. At least in my opinion.
I take it he is just glad he is getting to enjoy his mom's food once again which is something Haruto couldn't do anymore
My interpretation of that scene is that Ash is crying because deep inside he knows how grateful he is to be alive. I think it's tears of gratitude, tears of joy, but also perhaps tears of sadness for Haruto's situation? He's alive, he can meet his mom, he can eat her cooking, he can play with his Pokemon. It's the small everyday things, like being able to eat delicious food, that we often take for granted. Ash is painfully aware Haruto couldn't experience any of those things any longer, so he must be feeling very grateful, but also very sad. I think that's why Ash cries specifically when he's eating that food.

But yeah, it was a very powerful scene.
That's a good interpretation as well.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Everyone saying Riko is Ash's daughter... But turns out she is his sister instead
lmao could you imagine
But in many ways, it was true to the spirit of how he approached the show. At least in my opinion.
Oh I agree, themes like this were definitely Shudo's thing; just a heartwarming episode about the wonders of being alive.
I take it he is just glad he is getting to enjoy his mom's food once again which is something Haruto couldn't do anymore
Honestly, both you and @Kazuniya might be onto something; that's a very nice interpretation of the scene.

ShuckFam

I'll admit, I was going to skip this one. I'm glad I didn't, it pleasantly surprised me...

This felt like an OG episode. One that could make you laugh and tug at your heart strings at the same time.

Risrhayne

I never really understood the ICYniverse, I found it complicated things. Still, I found this episode to be…well…honestly, not as good as everyone is saying it is but that’s mostly because killing one-time characters nowadays feels emotionally-manipulative. At least with Stoutland we had time to get to know them before they died. Versus Mallow’s Mom who felt like a poor attempt to get audiences to give a crap about Mallow while also giving her a shoulder pet.

Haruto’s story is unique in that he’s the kid this time, so I’ll give Pokémon props for having the guts to have the ghost be a child. But my feelings are still similar to my feelings to the story with Mallow’s Mom; it all just felt like a cheap way to tug the heartstrings, get his parents to say some mushy sentimental stuff about their kid loving the sky and getting his hat back. Please cry and crown this episode as the best one ever even though it was mostly Ash being a huge menace to Pokémon minding their business.

I liked the theory that Haruto was Ash’s Dad visiting from the past because it at least would have made Ash just missing his old man at the end feel better. Ash’s hat gets swiped by Mankey, he’s trying to get it back, meets his young Dad where he tells him how important his hat his. They give up and let Mankey keep it, Kid Dad goes back to the past, Ash meets up with his Mom, just misses his Dad, but surprise, his Dad bought him a new cap.

I mean, I would find that better than Ash having a comedic chase with a Mankey to get a hat back…that’s revealed to have belonged to a dead child and his parents are still clearly hurt by his passing.

Only thing that shocked me was Ash letting Haruto feel Pikachu. Even in the AU, it was mad weird seeing Ash be so physical with a human, even if he was a ghost.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Good episode, not much to say since it's AU Ash. Why they wouldn't specify in the beginning that it is AU Ash is beyond me.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I absolutely agree that this episode felt Shudo-esque for sure!!
Ash's father on his own journey (altho ignoring the fact he went away as soon as Ash was born)
Delia cooking at a restaurant reference
Just the way the world was presented
The old classic design, music and narration
Really felt both like a wrap up finale of the AU verse Ash and a classic love letter to the anime's origins, right down to the team that worked on it!
Truly an amazing special, it succeeded in all fronts!!

EASILY the best part of the episode. Like genuinely man, that moment is so powerful and well written. It's like the perfect representation of a 10 year old's feelings at the time and to sum up Ash slowly realising all his feelings he was feeling and breaking it down
Although watching it live after Ash's dad blew him off really made me angry again at Ash's dad Ngl, that piece of ****
Also Delia cooking at the Pokemon Center felt like a subtle nod to Delia's Restaurant from Shudo's novelization.
Yes exactly!! Glad someone else felt that way

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
If that's Yuyama last work in the anime, I like he did the whole trolling of making us believe we'd be seeing Ash's dad.

Reminds me of the whole "Cynthia as Verity's mother" lol
Ash's father on his own journey (altho ignoring the fact he went away as soon as Ash was born)
Assuming it's indeed the same universe as ICY, it seems like they are following, more or less, the route Yajima set up with Secrets of the Jungle.

Ash's dad, at least in this continuity, seems to be the usual "too busy with work thus barely have anytime to be with the family" type. The same cliche plenty of anime use, specially as it kind of reflects the reality of actual japanese fathers (and/or mothers, on some cases)

Assuming what Hidaka said to PokeBeach years ago still holds true, it was probably the research work draining his life away.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
If that's Yuyama last work in the anime, I like he did the whole trolling of making us believe we'd be seeing Ash's dad.

Reminds me of the whole "Cynthia as Verity's mother" lol

Assuming it's indeed the same universe as ICY, it seems like they are following, more or less, the route Yajima set up with Secrets of the Jungle.

Ash's dad, at least in this continuity, seems to be the usual "too busy with work thus barely have anytime to be with the family" type. The same cliche plenty of anime use, specially as it kind of reflects the reality of actual japanese fathers (and/or mothers, on some cases)

Assuming what Hidaka said to PokeBeach years ago still holds true, it was probably the research work draining his life away.
Yeah even though I don't like that intrepretation of Ash's dad, I'm glad they keep continuity within the AU verse by following up with the SoJ version where he has been in Ash's life enough to give him valuable life lessons and be regarded warmly. He seems too busy to just be there always instead of being deadbeat and abandoning/being absent since he was born
Which certainly should never be changed in the actual main series anime imo

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
I was not expecting this to be another solo key animation episode for Iwane Masa-aki. This is his tenth one in 2022!

The sort of mysteriousness and the dealing with death really made this a fun episode. The story was by Yuyama Kunihiko but Yonemura Shouji wrote the script. The feeling—combined with the storyboard by Yuyama—really made it feel like the sort of episode there would have done in early 1997.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Saw the ep and it was a very solid “day in the life of Ash” tale. Definitely has a very classic Pokémon anime feel to it, missed those character designs terribly and the watercolor-esque backgrounds felt so warm and lovely. Enjoyed the plot and the little references, and ‘twas funny tounge and cheek way of including Ash’s father without actually doing so.

Overall if this truly was AU Ash’s last hurrah I’d say it was a good way to end it