• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Distant Blue Sky

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
That's fantastic, but still doesn't justify pretending like SM never handled topics of death with maturity and grace.

You intentionally chose to downplay/mock Sun&Moon anime just to praise this one special, it's very confusing and completely inaccurate.

SM may have had some issues, but how it handled serious topics like death was not one of those issues.
I wasn't referring to the Haruto portions but just the part where Ash was stuffing himself with croquettes. I brought up SM and JN cause it struck me that Ash in those series just feels way too different compared to here. I never compared SM and this episode regarding their handling of topics like death and stuff, only about Ash's portrayal.

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

Yeah, remember how flanderized Ash was and how comedic the show was when Stoutland died? Such a HILARIOUS episode, right? Or remember when Mallow's dead mom was revealed, and how FUNNY the entire scene was? We were all laughing our ass off! It was all so funny!

Thank you for giving us an excellent example of a series hater who loves to make things up. :)

Your post basically tells me one of these two things:

1) I haven't seen SM and I'm just making claims about something I haven't watched
2) I have seen SM, but I'm choosing to ignore stuff from SM, so I can pretend it's bad

Also, this pretty much confirms to me that the reason why this is considered to be the best episode since the end of XY isn't due to any particular writing (this show has handled death many times before), but merely because of the old art style and nostalgia.
That's fantastic, but still doesn't justify pretending like SM never handled topics of death with maturity and grace.

You intentionally chose to downplay/mock a specific aspect of Sun&Moon anime just to praise this one special, it's very confusing and completely inaccurate. SM may have had some issues, but how it handled serious topics like death was not one of those issues.
As we said, SM lives rent free for a lot of them

I can almost guarantee that if that very scene was done in SM or JN, they'd have made Ash obnoxiously flanderzied and have him choke on those croquettes or something cause c o m e d y.
Agree with this. The only times Ash acted good in SM was with Dia in the AU world thing.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
I wasn't referring to the Haruto portions but just the part where Ash was stuffing himself with croquettes.
You know exactly what you meant, lol. You were referring to the crying part, which was emotional and sad, and you were implying SM would have turned a sad and emotional scene into a comedy scene, which, again, is completely untrue because SM treated serious scenes in a mature way and arguably dealt more with death and trauma than any other series before it.

And you're wrong. So there's that.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think this episode also works on a meta level. An episode about death and closure aired as a special the week after the show announced that Ash’s journey will be coming to an end. It’s almost like it’s a message to fans on some level.

That's... Actually a very good point.

Guess it was most likely the intention from the creative team.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Yeah, remember how flanderized Ash was and how comedic the show was when Stoutland died? Such a HILARIOUS episode, right? Or remember when Mallow's dead mom was revealed, and how FUNNY the entire scene was? We were all laughing our ass off! It was all so funny!

Thank you for giving us an excellent example of a series hater who loves to make things up. :)

Your post basically tells me one of these two things:

1) I haven't seen SM and I'm just making claims about something I haven't watched
2) I have seen SM, but I'm choosing to ignore stuff from SM, so I can pretend it's bad

Also, this pretty much confirms to me that the reason why this is considered to be the best episode since the end of XY isn't due to any particular writing (this show has handled death many times before), but merely because of the old art style and nostalgia.
It's such a disingenious post lmao trying to be a gotcha when it doesn't make any sense at all to someone who's watched SM and JN. Ash wasn't even flanderised in JN outside of some very rare comedic scenes. And even in SM he was moreso flanderised for comedic scenes to an extreme degree to fit the tone, but they never forgot Ash's prowess as a trainer, or how to have serious moments with his characters or him being a mentor to Lillie.
This epsiode was good in capturing Ash though that I agree, and he actually felt like a child too with that portrayal, something some series failed to portray as he would become too bland and lose his excitement and vigour shown here
If anything his portrayal here is more in line with SM and JN lmao, people be confused by the artstyle

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Not an essay time:
Not gonna lie, I feel that given the emotional feel of the episode, I don't think it would've sit right for us to actually see Ash's dad. Yes, it would've been hype, but on the other hand, I'm not entirely shocked that Ash just happened to miss a meeting with him, but y'know the bloke's a busy man given that Delia mentioned that the reason he took off was due to an emergency. Though the fact that Ash just happened to be given a new hat as a gift after letting the Mankey keep the one he was wearing earlier felt a bit too convenient tbph, but that's a theory for another time, ie never.
When Haruto initially mentioned that he couldn't touch pokemon, it didn't occur to me to think that it was because he was dead, rather my immediate thought process was something happened to him in the past for this to occur like with Lillie, but watching how his parents were acting, specifically, his father, I knew that there was something else, nevertheless I do like how they handled it, through Ash, they were able to look forward whilst also remember the good times.
Also, it didn't occur to me that Jessie's Wobbuffet was the only non-Gen 1 pokemon to appear in the episode.

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Overlord
Not an essay time:
Not gonna lie, I feel that given the emotional feel of the episode, I don't think it would've sit right for us to actually see Ash's dad. Yes, it would've been hype, but on the other hand, I'm not entirely shocked that Ash just happened to miss a meeting with him, but y'know the bloke's a busy man given that Delia mentioned that the reason he took off was due to an emergency.

Fair, though sometimes it feels like writers don't always get that the lack of showing a frequently missing parent cause there is nothing interesting about them only builds to said interest.

And you can probably get away with that in a shorter narrative, but a longer one not so much.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Fair, though sometimes it feels like writers don't always get that the lack of showing a frequently missing parent because there is nothing interesting about them only builds to said interest.

And you can probably get away with that in a shorter narrative, but a longer one not so much.
Yeah, given this is a shorter, standalone narrative, the writers felt they could get away with this. Not to mention they probs would've dedicated a little bit of time to interaction with Ash and his dad if any.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
With the rewatch, I'm fairly certain now of the actual intrepetation why Ash was crying in the end
Definitely not coz of his dad lol, his reaction was more of an "Oh well, that happens" then actually being upset. It definitely ties into what Haruto's mom said,
"Ever since losing him, I've begun taking joys in these simple things. Now, I don't forget to say to even the most simplest of joys, Thank you"

Haruto saying how he basically had the same dream as Ash, "I want to grow up and befriend more Pokemon and explore and battle"
Haruto was basically Ash, wanted to go on the journey Ash did. As Ash flashed back to Haruto's Mom words, he says to Pikachu "Thank you"

And so, when eating Delia's food, I'm pretty sure his own mother's love reminds him of Haruto's mom, now telling even the simplest of joys, 'Thank you', which includes the croquettes he's eating and all the other joys of his life that allows him to journey the life Haruto also wanted, the gratitude for having what he has pouring out in the form of tears......

This was such a beautiful episode (Although it will never not be funny how superficial certain people were to be like "this is the best episode in six years" all coz of the freaking artstyle change going back to the roots lmao when the same themes, stories and Ash's characterisation and heart and soul have been abundant in the last six years).

This episode also makes me no longer feel bad and sad for Delia like I used to. The way she talks about Ash's dad, the way she sees Ash snoring in bed with Pikachu and tucks him in and sees him roaring to go on his new journey (along with how she was in JN's finale), she's at peace with herself. This IS what she wants, to see her son never give up on that dream of his and continue journeying and finding joys now that he's a Pokemon trainer. Delia truly is the best and most selfless mom <3, she not only is allowing and supporting Ash's journeys, but is at peace with it.

This was such a good Ash episode honestly, and a great standalone episode to show to any new person you might know to explain why you love Ash and Pokemon as a whole.
This is the last episode I'm rewatching before the finale of Ash and Pikachu later today ....... might do a whole rewatch of the anime though starting from OS some time after Ash's finale ends and we've digested it. I guess we'll see how much free time I'll have

I'll miss you Ash......For all the simplest joys you've provided me throughout my life that I always took for granted that comfort....THANK YOU!

RealTrainer20

I think Distant Blue Sky revealed alot of secrets about Ash's family. And yes, he did meet his father.

Ash travelled back in time. Some of the clues are the similarities to 4ever. Remember Sammy? The path through the trees and even the berry bread... This episode is loaded with clues and hidden messages...

So and Sae did not introduce their names in the sub version but So is clearly Ash's father. His hair also matches the shadow from Pokemon Sinnoh in the Rapidash Photo. Sae is possibly Delia. If you look carefully she tried to tell him something before he hung up at the start when she told him on the phone he was gonna meet his father. Near the end when Ash is asleep she does something she never did before, she let her hair down. It matched how Sae had her hair.

Then there's the whole thing about why send a hat for Ash if he already had one. Seems like somebody knew he would be needing it. Coincidence that both Ash and Haruto got hats from their dads? And that their dads were always far out working? So whats the real story of Ash's family...

His parents had this kid Haruto who they sadly lost without him fulfilling his dream of becoming a pokemon trainer. Then they had Ash. As he grew up they soon realised he was the kid who turned up in the forest. Probably So took it too hard and still could not let go of Haruto. He kept spending alot of time away from the family focused on his art career in Haruto's memory... Delia/Sae accepted the blessing of Ash.

As for Haruto? Ash's kindness helped his spirit be free, but that was not all. I figure Haruto either reincarnated as Ash or as another boy who we would soon get to know. This would explain Ash's connection to Ho-Oh (phoenix legend) as well as the ending with going after Entei (a pokemon who was reborn).

Ash couldnt help but cry at the end. Either he met the brother he never knew without knowing it or he is actually a reincarnated Haruto, thankful for another chance at his dream.

ShuckFam

The final dub episode for Ash.... I don’t know what hurts more this or last week's finale. Still, good to see Ash just being himself and y'know his AURA powers even in this AU this takes place in.
Serebii members should start a gofundme to redub the last episode. Queen Veronica Taylor NEEDS to replace that chainsmoking Ash.

Starswirl Pikachu

What the?!!

The chronology is all over the place for this episode. I really cant tell if Ash fell through a time warping clothes basket or somehow just recently woke up from a Pokemon coma only to wake up into another Pokemon filled reality. Having said that, I think this one was actually kind of good.

Firstly Ash was trying to catch a wild pokemon for a change which is a place where the main series had been severely slacking off with. And they managed to include a trainer battle even though most of it happened off screen. The next big bomb we get, is that Ash might get a chance to cross paths with his father. (Whoa! I think you can imagine the sound of my head turning and my eyebrow raising)

Then things start to get weird. Ash meets this kid in the wilderness. (I half suspected that this kid might be some kind of time warped version of Ash's father but he is not) This kid seems nice but there is a mystery about him that Ash cannot quite put his finger on. Ash also meets a couple in the woods and one of them is a painter. (though that by itself is not very suspicious)

So after several things happen, Ash somehow uses aura powers to communicate with a "being" of some sort. Dont get me wrong, I think all of this makes the story more interesting but in the main storyline Ash didnt really know how to use or understand aura until way way later in his adventure. But then again it also fits with Ash's character that he would want to do all that he could to help the lost "being" feel at peace or w/e. Maybe the explanation can be that Ash already had some of the powers hidden inside of him?

(?????)
In conclusion Ash was also not able to properly meet his father. While its still not clear what exactly happened in the forest, Ash still did his best to help the people and pokemon around him. Therefore he did a good job. I would have preferred a little more battling and more continuity but otherwise a pretty nice story.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
What the?!!

The chronology is all over the place for this episode. I really cant tell if Ash fell through a time warping clothes basket or somehow just recently woke up from a Pokemon coma only to wake up into another Pokemon filled reality. Having said that, I think this one was actually kind of good.

Firstly Ash was trying to catch a wild pokemon for a change which is a place where the main series had been severely slacking off with. And they managed to include a trainer battle even though most of it happened off screen. The next big bomb we get, is that Ash might get a chance to cross paths with his father. (Whoa! I think you can imagine the sound of my head turning and my eyebrow raising)

Then things start to get weird. Ash meets this kid in the wilderness. (I half suspected that this kid might be some kind of time warped version of Ash's father but he is not) This kid seems nice but there is a mystery about him that Ash cannot quite put his finger on. Ash also meets a couple in the woods and one of them is a painter. (though that by itself is not very suspicious)

So after several things happen, Ash somehow uses aura powers to communicate with a "being" of some sort. Dont get me wrong, I think all of this makes the story more interesting but in the main storyline Ash didnt really know how to use or understand aura until way way later in his adventure. But then again it also fits with Ash's character that he would want to do all that he could to help the lost "being" feel at peace or w/e. Maybe the explanation can be that Ash already had some of the powers hidden inside of him?

(?????)
In conclusion Ash was also not able to properly meet his father. While its still not clear what exactly happened in the forest, Ash still did his best to help the people and pokemon around him. Therefore he did a good job. I would have preferred a little more battling and more continuity but otherwise a pretty nice story.
This takes place in the M20 movie timeline btw, hence the hat