• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Doctor Who Club v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
Hello, everyone! This is the fourth incarnation of the Doctor Who club, a place for people to discuss, speculate on and generally ramble about Doctor Who. Anything related to the show is fair game, including its sadly-no-longer-running spinoffs, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures.

The previous club unfortunately got closed due to lack of activity for over a month. I realise now that it was largely my responsibility to keep it alive in downtimes, so apologies for that, and I hereby promise to do my best to stop the same thing happening to this club. Helping me with this will be our new co-owner, The Eleventh, whom some of you from the old club may know as SpeedSuicune with a name change.

General Rules

1. Follow the SPPf rules and the Club forum rules.
2. Respect all other members.
3. Respect all episodes, characters, writers, etcetera, even if you happen to dislike them. Criticism is fine; mocking and/or bashing is not.
4. Please try to keep grammar and spelling legible. It doesn't have to be perfect, but make sure we can understand what you're saying.
5. Keep all discussion related to Doctor Who or its spinoffs.
6. Follow the spoiler rules below:

Spoiler Rules

It’s never fun when someone gets their enjoyment of an episode spoiled because they unwittingly read information they didn’t want to know beforehand, so please bear these rules in mind and follow them at all times.

6a. Keep all discussion of events in an episode which has only just aired in the UK under spoilers until a week after the broadcast date. This gives anyone who didn't watch it live a chance to catch up.
6b. The above rule also applies to discussion of the "Next Time" and "Coming Soon" trailers.
6c. Make sure to spoiler all information about upcoming episodes that hasn't been seen in a trailer. Even simple things such as the monsters it will feature or setting it will have should be spoilered, as there will always be some people who don’t even want to know that kind of thing beforehand.
6d. Make it reasonably clear outside your spoiler or in the spoiler heading what kind of information it contains – are you talking about an episode that’s just aired, or a future one? Is your information on the future episode relatively mild, or some huge plot twist that most people wouldn’t want to have spoiled? Different people will be willing to read different levels of spoilerishness, so try and make sure no-one will be getting more than they bargained for if they choose to click your spoiler.
6e. Discussion of anything you found under a spoiler should also naturally go under a spoiler unless you’re deliberately vague and don’t mention any of the spoilerish details. Rule 6d also applies here – make sure it’s clear which spoiler you’re replying to where!
6f. For novels and other similar things, any discussion should always go in spoilers in case someone is in the process of reading it or planning to someday. Blurbs are fine, though.

At the end of the day, just use your common sense as to what you think people might not want to know. If in doubt, it's better to spoiler it.

If anyone thinks I should alter these rules, such as maybe extending the spoilering period for just-aired episodes to allow for other countries that get them later, then I’m open to opinions.

If you didn’t know how to use spoilers, then here’s how.

The lazy way: Go to the Advanced posting options and click the button marked "Spoil". Type in whatever you want in the header of your spoiler, click OK, then type the actual content of the spoiler between the tags. Alternatively, type your content first, highlight it, then click the button marked "Spoil".

By hand: There are two ways to do it if you type out the tag by hand; it depends on whether you want a header or not.

No header -
[spoil]Content here[/spoil]

With header -
[spoiler=Header here]Content here[/spoiler]

Be careful; using the wrong one of “spoil” or “spoiler” will result in the tag not working and your content being visible. If you’re not sure you got it right, preview your post to check.

Joining Form

Ideally, I'd love for this club to be a place full of lengthy posts rather than shallow one-liners, in order to spark off lots of interesting, fun discussion. While I'm aware that not everyone likes to ramble as much as me, I'd still prefer for people in here to be capable of at least a vaguely fleshed-out opinion, and as such there is a joining form to make sure you can do this.

Why do you like Doctor Who?
Sure, we all know you like Doctor Who if you're trying to join this club, but what is it about this programme that you like so much? Try and give at least three or four lines or so of reasons and explanation; if it seems too short, I won't let you in (but feel free to try again until I do). This restriction isn’t just for the sake of it – it’s here under the assumption that someone who can’t think of much to say when trying to join a club won’t be able to think of much to say when participating in it, either. If you're a fan of the show, it shouldn't be too hard to think up lots to put here. Characters or monsters you like, and why? Episodes that were your favourite, and why? Don't be afraid to ramble a bit!
Who's your favourite Doctor?
This part is just here for the sake of it, because hey, it’s always interesting to know. You can expand on this, too, if you like, but it’s not a requirement for getting in.
Desired character title?
This is also here just for fun and is entirely optional. The idea hailed from the original club: claim a character from the Doctor Who universe, whose name you can then use to sign off posts or anything along those lines. Only one person can claim each character, and it’s first-come first-served, as that seems the fairest and most hassle-free way of doing it. Also, for the purposes of this, all separate incarnations of a Time Lord or Lady count as the same character. All that said, though, if there isn’t a character you particularly want/the one you want has already been taken/you are above all this silliness, feel free to ignore this part of the joining form.

Example Joining Form

Because it would be unfair for me to make everyone else fill this in without having done it myself, right?

It’s the only show I know of whose central concept allows it to tell stories about absolutely anything. It really sets the imagination alight and immerses me in this wonderful universe where so much is possible. It can be funny, clever, touching and scary, often all at once. Then there's the fact that it gives us the Doctor, who is easily my favourite character in anything ever. For one thing, he’s incredibly entertaining to watch on the surface, what with the excitement and glee he usually takes in seeing the universe and facing its dangers, and the way he frequently does amazing, impossible things and is generally awesome. But then also, beneath that, he’s such a complex and messed up person, with many different layers and sides to his character which are often touched upon or outright explored in episodes, such that I really enjoy overanalysing him. (You’ll probably come to notice that about me if you stay in this club for more than half a page.)
Who’s your favourite Doctor?
All of them! By which I mean that each of them is amazing in their own different ways (allowing for the fact that I haven’t seen much of the classic series Doctors – but I’m sure I’d feel the same about them if/when I were to see more of them). I’d hate to have to officially declare that I like one of them more, because that would mean deciding that I like the other ones less. At any one time, however, I do tend to lean towards whichever one is currently filling my head the most, which means that right now it would be the Eleventh Doctor.
Desired character title?
Amelia Pond. Which is to say that I’m claiming Amy, and I don’t mean to imply I like grown-up Amy any less than young Amelia, but for some reason I want it to go on the list as “Amelia” rather than “Amy”. I think it's because I really like that idealistic, childlike side of Amy that she never quite completely lost, even if she tried to hide it.

(I’m probably going to regret this as it could cause confusion, but I guess this means that there’s a new thing with character claims in this club. In the old club I insisted on putting everyone down as whatever I considered the “standard” name for the character they chose, but now I’m willing to be a little more flexible, if you'd like, provided it is still a name or title that the character actually has in-universe. Want to be “The Last Centurion” or even just “Rory Pond”, instead of “Rory Williams”, for example? Be my guest, but still only as long as nobody else has already claimed Rory.)

Member List
elyvorg [Amelia Pond] – Owner
The Eleventh [Rory Williams] – Co-owner
KingMinun [Martha Jones]
Griff4815
Pansy :] [Donna Noble]
Wasarym
Krazy95 [K-9]
VampirateMace [Sally Sparrow]
Becoming [Clara Oswald]
The Joker. [The Dream Lord]
Will-powered Spriter
Crasher [Wilfred Mott]
Thecatteam [Toshiko Sato]
LokiTheGengar [Dalek Supreme]
fango pango [Weeping Angel]
Night_Walker [The Master]
marioguy
fitzy909 [Cyber-Leader]
THEIRONDONUT [John Smith]
MasterGohan [Mickey the Idiot]
Megaton666 [The War-Chief]
The Lone Renegade [Davros]
Poetry
ninjanerd [Captain Jack]
EVs and IVsaurs [Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All]
Ponymon [The TARDIS]
C.y.a.n [Mr. Clever]
the3rdH0kage
Green Blockhead [The Cyber King]
PurpleTitan
MooseSmuggler [Commander Strax]
melonjaywalk
cwertle [Bad Wolf]
degausser
AtomicStarrHawk
Qmaz246 [Craig Owens]
Minedreigon [River Song]
TheWaywardDelibird [The Face of Boe]
Joltik-Kid
10th Doctor
mtie123
Shrimp_8 [Vashta Nerada]

Hoping that this new club will be just as fun if not more so than the old one,

-elyvorg/Amelia

Last edited:

Aegon

My reasons are quite similar to elyvorg's. It's completely, completely unlike anything else on television. Each week, the adventure takes on a different theme, directorial style and story. It's so much fun experiencing these variety of episodes, all the while the Doctor and his companion(s) are guiding us along. Doctor Who is just so vast. So many topics are dealt with, and sometimes this reveals more the Doctor's intricate character. I love not knowing what to expect and seeing the main characters grow and develop on their travels aboard the TARDIS. It's unbelievably fun.

The Eleventh Doctor. There. I do love them all (though I haven't watched any Five, Six or Seven, I know their characters), but Eleven is uniquely magical. He's the mad man in a box. His childlike outlook on things can be replaced instantly by the thoughts of a man who has lost so much over nine-hundred years (eleven-hundred-and-three, now, I suppose), and I find it astounding. He's both young and old at the same time, and is utterly brilliant. I love how oblivious he is to certain things ("Cool aliens?" "Well, what would you call me?" "An alien."). And yes, he is quite cool.

Desired character title?
Hmm... I think I'll go with Rory Williams for the moment. Ol' Roranicus has changed a lot during his trips with the Doctor. I like how he's developed. While he still retains some of his awkwardness, it has diminished much, and he even became a cool Roman with a baby. My mind's on him the most at the moment (along with Amy), since Series 7 Episode 5 is not so far away any more.

I hope Rory doesn't die. Well, I hope Amy doesn't either. I will be so bereft. Moffat has said that one will die, but we all know how much he loves to lie. One of the four main characters dying in The Impossible Astronaut? Please.

That's it for now. There is news I'd like to discuss, but this post has taken a while, and it'd be nice to see other members join first.

-The Eleventh/Rory Williams.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Growing up in the UK in the 90s, Doctor Who wasn't around, yet we were aware of the show and its success, so when the series returned in 2005, it was only natural that I watch it, although honestly didn't enjoy it as much as I do now, it was only in 2007 when series 3 aired that I became obsessed with it. I love how it constantly updates itself and although my favourite companions or Doctors come and go, it keeps fresh, and still is entertaining, I love how it really makes you think about the plot in order to understand it and requires you to go back and rewatch it to get full enjoyment.

10 for me, followed closely by 11. He's my Doctor, and the fact that David Tennant is a childhood fan of the show really shows, I love the emotion of his performance and its chemistry with his companions. Although like The Eleventh, I enjoy 11, how he's a mad man in a box and you can really see his alien side in his performance whilst also capturing little bits of each of the previous Doctors.

Desired character title?
Martha Jones please. She's my Companion, like 10 is my Doctor, Martha was the one who really captured me and made me obsessed with this series. Seeing her transformation throughout her journey. I love her and 10's chemistry, and I also love her and Jack's chemistry and her interactions with the Torchwood team. I think her performance in "The Last of the Time Lords" is utterly emotional and beautiful. And how she just laughs in the face of the Master, "A Weapon? A weapon separated into 4 parts, scattered across the world?" "Yes and I destroyed it" "I mean come on." "But you're still going to die" "Don't you want to know what I was doing? Travelling the world" "Tell me" "I told a story, no weapons, just words. I did just as the Doctor said, I went across the continents all on my own, and everywhere I went, I found the people and I told them my story. I told them about the Doctor, and I told them to pass it on, to spread the word so that everyone would know about the Doctor" "Faith and Hope? Is that all?" "No cause I gave them an instruction, just as the Doctor said, I told them that if everyone thinks of one word, at one specific time" "NOTHING WILL HAPPEN! Is that your weapon? Prayer?" "Right across the world, one word, just one thought, at one moment, but with 15 satellites!" "What?" "The Archangel Network" "A telepathic field binding the whole human race together with all of them, every single person on earth thinking the same thing at the same time and that word is.....Doctor!". The emotion Freema puts into that performance I find very moving. And then, her goodbye, being one of the Doctor's companions strong enough to leave out of choice, putting her family first, which let's face it a lot of them don't. I remember at first, thinking no one could replace Rose, and I gave the idea of a new companion slack, but the moment Martha appeared on screen, I fell in love with her character, she saved the Doctor so many times, but she helped him the most, she helped him move on, she healed him and even though she loved him, she had the courage and strength to leave it all behind to help her family and her goodbye speech is my most favourite scene in Doctor Who. "You see the thing is, its like my friend Vicky, she lived with this bloke, student housing, 5 of them all packed in and this bloke was called Sean and she loved him, she completely adored him, spent all day long talking about him" "Is this going somewhere?" "Yes, cause he never looked at her twice. I mean he liked her, but that was it, and she wasted years pining after him, years of her life, cause whilst he was around she never looked at anyone else. And I told her, I always told her time and time again I said, Get out!. So this is me, getting out. Keep that, because I'm not having you disappear, if that rings....when that rings, you better come running you got it?" "Got it" "I'll see you again mister". I love everything about the character and I think she is a brilliant role model for people! I also think that because so many people don't give her a chance because they are blinded by Rose, it attracts me to her, because honestly, she was the one companion who really proved themselves to the Doctor without having to rely on something like the Time Vortex, or Time Lord energy, she saved the world, using her own brain, her own actions and I think that's brilliant! GO MARTHA JONES!

Anyway, as Matt is now back in the UK after comic con, it means that filming should be starting up again next week, so I'll be trying to head to the locations if I can get there. They filmed in my village the other week, it was amazing, I saw Matt, Jenna, and some other characters and aliens who I won't mention.....Spoilers ;), all up close. It was one of the most amazing feelings ever. And also on Friday the Doctor Who experience opens up in Cardiff, I've got my ticket so I'll be heading there and if there is any news I'll be sure to let you guys know.

- KingMinun/Martha Jones

Aegon

Anyway, as Matt is now back in the UK after comic con, it means that filming should be starting up again next week, so I'll be trying to head to the locations if I can get there. They filmed in my village the other week, it was amazing, I saw Matt, Jenna, and some other characters and aliens who I won't mention.....Spoilers ;), all up close. It was one of the most amazing feelings ever. And also on Friday the Doctor Who experience opens up in Cardiff, I've got my ticket so I'll be heading there and if there is any news I'll be sure to let you guys know.
Oh, I know who you're talking about. It's spoiler time!

I'm so, so glad Vastra and Jenny are back! They're the best one-off characters in a while, so it would have been such a shame not to have seen them again. The Sontaran seen could likely be Strax. He was quite entertaining.

Four new episode titles were recently revealed. I'll spoiler them, just in case.

Series 7 Episode 1 is called Asylum of the Daleks. "Asylum" has many meanings, so this is definitely an interesting title. It's Moffat writing Daleks! I'm very much looking forward to it. The wait isn't even that long anymore; it should be on in just over a month!

Episode 2 is Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. What. The. Hell. This is amazingly bizarre! This is also the episode featuring the Egyptian seen in the trailer, as well as a certain somebody's father.

Episode 3 is called A Town Called Mercy, which is, of course, the western. I'm not too hyped regarding this episode, though I'm sure it'll be fun. Toby Whithouse hasn't disappointed with his previous episodes.

Finally, the fourth episode is simply titled Cubed. I know absolutely nothing about this episode, so I'm intrigued. I've been quite spoiler-free this year, after I learnt of River Song's identity before AGMGTW and the future Doctor plot before I saw TIA. Though, annoyingly, I accidentally stumbled across what could possibly be the new companion's name, but I'm still holding out hope that it's incorrect. Not because of the name (it's different to what we've had before), but because I'd like to be surprised. This particular name was featured in Elisabeth Sladen's autobiography, and was associated with a peculiar anecdote, and I can't get it out of my head (it involved "*Insert name here* the Cow").

Also, I'd just like to present these two videos for your enjoyment. This trio will never be forgotten. );

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
The Eleventh: Hi there, and welcome back in. I have to admit I was half expecting you to claim the Doctor, what with your current username, but yay for Rory, too. (I guess that makes you and me "married", in a sense. xP)

KingMinun: Welcome back to you, too. Oh, that long ramble on Martha reminded me of some of the reasons why I always liked her. :3

Also, yes, Matt, Karen, Arthur and Steven were at Comic Con in San Diego recently, weren't they? Damn lucky Americans getting that kind of thing at their general geek conventions whereas the UK has to have a whole convention dedicated specifically to Doctor Who before anything that awesome can happen. *grumble mumble* I take it there wasn't any kind of new trailer shown there, right? A few days ago I searched for one on Youtube, and I assume that if they had shown one I'd have found something, but I didn't, so...

They filmed in your village? Wow - that must have been amazing. I'm half jealous, half kind of glad that's never happened to me because I'd simply have to go and see it and yet I wouldn't want spoilers. That said, there is one tiny, barely-spoilerish thing that I'm weirdly curious about:
Do you remember if Matt was wearing the darker tweed outfit seen in this photo here, or was he in the usual paler tweed jacket from series 6?
Have fun at the Doctor Who Experience, too! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The mini-adventure you get to go on with the TARDIS and everything is especially fun. :3 (At least, it definitely is if you have the mind of an eight-year-old, like me.)

And speaking of things along the lines of the Doctor Who Experience, here's something that I probably would have posted about earlier if the club hadn't been dead at the time - I went to The Crash of the Elysium last month! I mentioned it in a post in the previous club shortly before it died: it's a Doctor Who theatre production kind of like the Doctor Who Experience in that the "audience" goes through it in smallish groups, but it's made even better due to the fact that it had live actors interacting with us and guiding us through while in-character, making it so much more immersive. The storyline was also fairly engaging, involving a crashed spaceship, a message from the Doctor, and Weeping Angels.

Let me put that a different way: one evening last month, I was chased through the darkened corridors of a crashed spaceship by Weeping Angels and eventually managed to help save the world. Obviously that didn't actually happen, but while I was in there doing it, they'd pulled off the immersion so well and the tension was so great that it was so easy to believe it was real. It was incredible to be a part of and an experience that I will definitely treasure for a long, long time.

To go into more detail for anyone who cares, because I want to ramble about how well-done it was, and its plot was honestly pretty interesting in a wibbly wobbly timey wimey sort of way...
First off, that immersion. The people behind this did everything possible to help that out from the get go. At the entrance to where it all was, there wasn't anything at all indicating this was a Doctor Who production - instead, the signs pretended that "The Crash of the Elysium" was a museum exhibit about a perfectly normal seafaring ship that sank in the late 1800s. While this was slightly thrown off by the fact that we could chat with the rest of our audience group in the waiting area and naturally everyone was talking about Doctor Who, all the people in charge of checking our tickets and showing us in insistently referred to what we were about to enter as an "exhibition". Indeed, once we entered, the first room was an exhibition complete with a man who seemed every bit like a museum curator telling us about the history of the Elysium. Until suddenly two soldiers rush in, yelling at us, making us run upstairs to a different room where we put on decontamination suits and were drilled in some basic commands. Turns out that a spaceship, also coincidentally called the Elysium, crashed here recently, and as civilians in the wrong place at the wrong time, they had no choice but to drag us along on their mission to explore it. Okay, so it wasn't entirely watertight, but it was pretty easy to believe that we were just perfectly ordinary humans who were innocently attending a perfectly ordinary museum exhibit when we were suddenly dragged into this mad world of spaceships and aliens.

Soon after that we started to get into the plot, as we found a black box recording made by the Doctor while the ship was crashing. He'd managed to get everyone else off safely, but in doing so he'd trapped himself in a room with deadlocks on every door, unable to reach the TARDIS and escape. Believing he was about to die, his final wish was for us to find the TARDIS... and destroy it, in order to stop any malevolent forces getting their hands on it once the Doctor was out of the picture. D: I mean, on the one hand, that probably was the wisest thing to do under the circumstances, but on the other hand it was kind of horrible to go through the place under the belief that the Doctor is dead and that, once we find the TARDIS, she has to die too.

Eventually, after an honestly pretty terrifying encounter with a Weeping Angel in a corridor with flickering lights, we got sent to 1888. (I've been to 1888. I've travelled in time. I have artron energy inside me. obviously not actually but shush.) There we met a young woman called Dolly who was kind of like a semi-companion of the Doctor's - she'd never acually stayed in the TARDIS for subsequent adventures, but, after saving her from some Cybermen when she was just a little girl (in which the Doctor reportedly just showed up and the Cybermen ran for it), he seemingly kept appearing at various points in her life and taking her on one-off trips. Apparently, she was the first woman on the moon - accidentally, so the Doctor claims.

Dolly knew all about the Doctor's final request and why we were here, but she told us that, never mind what he says, we're going to save his life. Turns out that the artron energy from a group of twenty or so people who've travelled in time is exactly what is needed to power up the TARDIS key (which we'd already found back on the Elysium) in order to send the TARDIS back to the Doctor when the ship was still crashing and allow him to escape. And earlier on, the TARDIS had relocated herself due to an emergency dematerialisation program that kicks in when she detects malevolent forces getting near her and sends her to the vicinity of someone the Doctor trusts - that someone was Dolly, and the TARDIS was nearby. This was the point at which I began to wonder just how much the Doctor had planned all of this - had he explained this plan to Dolly beforehand, perhaps? - and whether he knew the Weeping Angels would play right into his hands by sending us back in time.

Once we'd sent the TARDIS on her way, we found more messages from the Doctor, who'd arranged a Vortex Manipulator to get us back to our own time as repayment for us saving him. This also makes me wonder how much of the stuff that went on during this entire thing was arranged by the Doctor, after he'd been saved from his point of view. I have a hunch that the two soldiers who led us through the Elysium were given their mission by the Doctor - not knowing it was him, of course, but they seemed to already know something about a mysterious doctor's final request, before we'd even found the black box recording. That and why else would they have dragged a bunch of civilians along on their mission, unless they'd had orders to because a certain someone knew we'd be needed? It's all very interestingly timey-wimey, and it's rather fun to think about how much of this the Doctor might have figured out at what point, and how absolutely nothing about this happened in the right order for him. (Along with the black box recording, we also saw some pre-recorded messages that he'd made in the TARDIS, long before he was ever on the Elysium, for the possible eventuality that he'd end up dead, telling any humans that hopefully found the message how to destroy the TARDIS. (Apparently the TARDIS's doomsday button is right next to an identical-looking button that puts the bubbles in lemonade.))

So we got back to our own time and saved the world by using our artron energy to power up another suspiciously-convenient-I-wonder-if-the-Doctor-put-it-there device to stop the Angels. Yay! After that, it was over, except for one last thing which is one of my favourite things about the whole event because I'm silly like that: along with everyone else, I got a letter from the Doctor, thanking me for helping to save his life and, among other things, telling me my next birthday is going to be great. x3 Even if I brush aside the fact that it's supposedly to me, I still find that letter incredibly heartwarming, because in it the Doctor is clearly so grateful to each individual member of a group of twentyish humans who risked a lot to save his life when he'd been pretty sure he was about to die. He never even saw any of these people's faces or knew any of their names while it was all going on, but he was thankful enough that, after it was over, he went and found out who each and every one of them were and sent them all letters promising that he'll never forget what they did for him and will be watching out for them throughout their lives. Aww. :3

It's also kind of interesting how so many different elements of The Crash of the Elysium's storyline remind me of parts of certain past episodes. Being chased by Weeping Angels through a crashed spaceship is obviously very reminiscent of Flesh and Stone. The prerecorded messages from the Doctor, finding the TARDIS and sending it to him and the possible stable-time-loopiness is kind of like Blink. The particular pre-recorded message to be played in the event of his death (as well as the recipient's response of "screw it, I'm saving your life anyway") reminded me somewhat of the Ninth Doctor's message to Rose in The Parting of the Ways. And the general experience of believing the Doctor to be dead and carrying out his final wish, only to slowly realise that you're enacting part of a plan to save his life and he was never actually dead in the first place is along similar lines to the overarching plot of series 6. It is very fun to have, in a way, personally experienced all of those things. =D
Since this was the second time The Crash of the Elysium has been put on - it was first on in Manchester last year - it's not entirely impossible that it might be put on somewhere a third time. If it ever is, I honestly and wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who can make it there and who thinks they'd be willing to suspend their disbelief in such a situation. Seriously. It was so, so good.

Aaand here I go again, taking so long to type up a post that The Eleventh has already posted the news I was going to mention. I do have some small, rambly things to say about a couple of those episode titles, but it's nothing major and I'm kind of all rambled out for now after that long thing about the Elysium (which I doubt anyone will be that interested in, but it was such an awesome experience that I just couldn't not talk about it D: ), so I'll leave those for a later post.

-elyvorg/Amelia

Aegon

Also, yes, Matt, Karen, Arthur and Steven were at Comic Con in San Diego recently, weren't they? Damn lucky Americans getting that kind of thing at their general geek conventions whereas the UK has to have a whole convention dedicated specifically to Doctor Who before anything that awesome can happen. *grumble mumble* I take it there wasn't any kind of new trailer shown there, right? A few days ago I searched for one on Youtube, and I assume that if they had shown one I'd have found something, but I didn't, so...
No, a trailer was not shown, but two clips were! The first is from Episode 3, while the second is from Episode 2. The latter is extremely exciting. There's a written summary here, though I don't think anyone filmed them and uploaded them to YouTube, which is somewhat disappointing. Still, exciting!

That said, there is one tiny, barely-spoilerish thing that I'm weirdly curious about:
Do you remember if Matt was wearing the darker tweed outfit seen in this photo here, or was he in the usual paler tweed jacket from series 6?
The Doctor and the new companion were actually seen to be wearing
[SPOIL]Nineteenth century clothing! Matt was wearing a bowler hat. :D I can't wait to see how the two play around with that.[/SPOIL]

The Crash of the Elysium sounds utterly amazing, elyvorg. Why do I have to live in Ireland? ;_; I'm incredibly jealous right now. How many other people were with you while the adventure took place?

There's something I wanted to post about, but I simply cannot remember. This is annoying. I'm sure it'll come to me soon. xD

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
I'm so, so glad Vastra and Jenny are back! They're the best one-off characters in a while, so it would have been such a shame not to have seen them again. The Sontaran seen could likely be Strax. He was quite entertaining.

Ooh. Part of me kind of regretted choosing to click that spoiler, but the rest of me doesn't care because that's so awesome. (And presumably I'd have become well aware of those characters' presence in an episode closer to the time of it airing, so I guess it doesn't matter that I'm finding it out now.)

Asylum of the Daleks: That sounds pretty cool, especially with the knowledge that it involves every kind of Dalek ever. I wonder if the asylum is due to the fact that the current lot of Paradigm Daleks will likely consider many of the previous kinds of Dalek to be impure and therefore perhaps essentially "insane". Or, like The Eleventh says, "asylum" could mean other things. Hmm.

Either way, I always tend to love Moffat episodes, and I always tend to love Dalek episodes, and this is both! And we've never had Moffat write a full-on Dalek episode before (brief appearances of them as not-the-main-threat in a few episodes notwithstanding), so I'm very eager to see what he does with them.

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship: Oh. Wow. That is just awesome. They really are just having mad, attention-grabbing titles this series, aren't they? I'm looking forward to this, not only because it will clearly be delightfully crazy, but also because I just plain like dinosaurs. That and...
...the presence of Rory's dad definitely has me intrigued. If this were a modern-day Earth episode it wouldn't be too surprising, but it isn't. Never mind dinosaurs, as I'm sure that'll make sense in time; what on earth is Rory's dad doing on a spaceship?

No, seriously, I'm really curious as to why he's there. Did he somehow end up on the TARDIS by accident? Did the Doctor decide to be up front to Rory's parents about where their son and his wife have been disappearing off to, only to have Rory's dad insist for some reason he come along on one of these trips? This has all kinds of interesting implications for the ongoing character development of the Pond family, and possibly the Doctor too.

Then I'm also just looking forward to seeing what kind of man Rory's dad is, since I'm sure he'll be awesome in some way.

A Town Called Mercy, I'm not overly excited by the title of, mostly because we already knew from the trailers that the town was called Mercy, anyway. Still kind of hyped for the episode, though, probably as it's the one I've seen most of in trailers. Meanwhile, Cubed sounds really intriguing, perhaps because I know literally nothing else about that episode at the moment - that title could mean so many different things right now.

While I'm totally with The Eleventh on not wanting too-large spoilers, I personally wouldn't mind knowing the new companion's name, if only because then I'd actually have something more specific to think of her by than "the new companion". Her name is unlikely to spoil anything about the kind of character she'll be, anyway.

Also, do we have a definitive date for the airing of the series yet? I know that the 25th of August has been mentioned, but I'm under the impression that it's just educated guesswork based on the fact that the first episode is being previewed at the Edinburgh Film Festival only a couple of days before then (and the same thing happened last year to Let's Kill Hitler, which also promptly aired the following Saturday). Has anything been confirmed?

No, a trailer was not shown, but two clips were! The first is from Episode 3, while the second is from Episode 2. The latter is extremely exciting. There's a written summary here, though I don't think anyone filmed them and uploaded them to YouTube, which is somewhat disappointing. Still, exciting!
Ah, okay. I don't think I want to read written summaries of them, so I guess I'll just hope the two scenes become available online closer to the series airing or something. I'll also probably try and find and watch the whole Comic Con panel sometime once I start getting even more hyped.

The Doctor and the new companion were actually seen to be wearing
[SPOIL]Nineteenth century clothing! Matt was wearing a bowler hat. :D I can't wait to see how the two play around with that.[/SPOIL]
Ooh, that's interesting. Usually the Doctor just sticks to variations on his usual outfit and doesn't bother to blend in with the local fashion. I wonder... could that be part of his attempt to lie low and not draw attention to himself since faking his death? </overanalysis based on tiny tiny info>

Also, wow, a bowler hat. xD I was aware that Matt had been wearing one around Comic Con, which I'd found kind of awesome, but I assumed that was just Matt - I had no idea that the Doctor would also be wearing one at some point in the series' future. Hee! I can already hear "Bowler hats are cool." You know that's going to happen.

The Crash of the Elysium sounds utterly amazing, elyvorg. Why do I have to live in Ireland? ;_; I'm incredibly jealous right now. How many other people were with you while the adventure took place?

It really was amazing. It's such a shame that you living in Ireland means you can't get to any of these kinds of things. D: There were about twenty other people in there with me, so kind of quite a few, but we were each given slightly different tasks at various points, so it never felt too crowded or like my contribution was insignificant.

-elyvorg/Amelia

Aegon

No, seriously, I'm really curious as to why he's there. Did he somehow end up on the TARDIS by accident? Did the Doctor decide to be up front to Rory's parents about where their son and his wife have been disappearing off to, only to have Rory's dad insist for some reason he come along on one of these trips? This has all kinds of interesting implications for the ongoing character development of the Pond family, and possibly the Doctor too.

Then I'm also just looking forward to seeing what kind of man Rory's dad is, since I'm sure he'll be awesome in some way.
It explains how he ends up coming along in the DoaS clip, and by extension, the written summary. ;) I'm looking forward to his character, too. It's always nice that Ron Weasley's dad plays Rory's dad.

While I'm totally with The Eleventh on not wanting too-large spoilers, I personally wouldn't mind knowing the new companion's name, if only because then I'd actually have something more specific to think of her by than "the new companion". Her name is unlikely to spoil anything about the kind of character she'll be, anyway.
Are you ready?

Apparently, she's called Clara. Which is somewhat hipster. I can just imagine Matt saying that in the most "That's a brilliant name!" kind of way.

Also, do we have a definitive date for the airing of the series yet? I know that the 25th of August has been mentioned, but I'm under the impression that it's just educated guesswork based on the fact that the first episode is being previewed at the Edinburgh Film Festival only a couple of days before then (and the same thing happened last year to Let's Kill Hitler, which also promptly aired the following Saturday). Has anything been confirmed?
No, though Matt has seemingly said it'll air in August, so the 25th is the only logical date. We shall see soon enough.

Ooh, that's interesting. Usually the Doctor just sticks to variations on his usual outfit and doesn't bother to blend in with the local fashion. I wonder... could that be part of his attempt to lie low and not draw attention to himself since faking his death? </overanalysis based on tiny tiny info>
I'm really interested in the continuation of his new attitude. Thank you, Moffat, for this character development that makes sense! :D To be honest, I'm surprised this hasn't come to the Doctor's attention before. There have to be consequences when you're someone like the Doctor.

Also, wow, a bowler hat. xD I was aware that Matt had been wearing one around Comic Con, which I'd found kind of awesome, but I assumed that was just Matt - I had no idea that the Doctor would also be wearing one at some point in the series' future. Hee! I can already hear "Bowler hats are cool." You know that's going to happen.
I'd be disappointed if it didn't happen. ;)

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Well, I got into Doctor Who before it was cool to (all thanks to a certain somebody xP <cough>elyvorg<cough>). What really kept me coming back was the Ninth Doctor (at first) and all the cool storylines and characters. The storylines and characters continued to get better and Doctor Who is now one of my favourite shows. It's mixture of comedy, action, drama, and character...ness is very appealing. Plus, it's British! 8D! British stuff is always good! And the show introduced me to wonderful new words like Jammie Dodgers! And the band Electric Light Orchestra! But yeah, I really like Doctor Who's plots, characters, and cencepts. They're always fun and even thought-provoking.
At one point, I would have said the Ninth Doctor, but at this point, I think it's actually the Eleventh Doctor. Matt Smith is a great actor and the Eleventh Doctor is just so fun, zany, and moody and all that.
Desired character title?
Well, my other favourite character is taken, so can I claim the Eleventh Doctor? That would be fun. Are fezzes and stetsons mandatory?

Pansy :]

anustart
Awww, i was really inactive in the old club for a long time, but it's a shame to see it was closed for inactivity... Oh well, now i can claim Donna :D!!!

Why do I like doctor who?

This is such a broad question I don't even know where to start! I guess for me it's mostly the plot lines, both for individual episodes and on going plot lines. The writers seem to be incredibly talented at what they do, and while i personally am not a huge fan of Steven Moffat, or more so the direction the show has been going since he took over, there is no denying that he knows how to write. And all of the actors just seem to do such a great job portraying all of their characters. Plenty of times I'll watch a show or movie and think that they casted the wrong actor, but I can't recall a single time I felt that with Doctor Who. Really it's just one of the best done TV shows I've ever seen, and I can't find any reasons why I wouldn't like it.

Who's your favorite doctor?

Oh god, the question of the century.. It really is a tough choice for me... While I love Matt and think he's a great actor, I'm not a huge fan of his doctor, mostly because I have a bit of trouble seeing the doctor as such a young person (My problem entirely, and I really wish that I could see past that better) and I have a hard time taking him seriously alot of the time... I looooooooovvvveeeed davids doctor soo much, and i love him very much (my life plan includes having his babies) and thought he did a great job portraying 10... Buuuuuut I think i may have enjoyed eccelson slightly more, he just interacted so nicely with Billie Piper, and him and rose just had such a sweet time together (I still love that little clip of rose trying to figure out what happened just after he regenerated)... Gahhh this choice it too hard... can i give it a tie between nine and ten?!?!?

Desired character title?

Donna Noble pretty please?!? *loves Catherine Tate*

I'm glad that this club was brought back,and I'm definitely planning on being far more active here then I was in the previous club.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Rumour has it that Doctor Who is filming tomorrow, so I'll be heading there if I can, so I'll be taking my camera, hopefully this time, I'll be lucky enough to get photos with Matt and Jenna! I'll keep you guys posted of course! In the mean time, I'm currently making custom figures, right now, I'm making prototypes of the Torchwood cast who don't have figures i.e. Rhys, Owen, Rex and Esther. Here's Esther: http://slait.deviantart.com/#/d58bjax

Also, I went to the experience on Friday! It was amazing, they had Daleks, Cybermen and Silurians walking around to entertain the huge crowds. I was worried that I wouldn't get a photo with any of them, but the kids and people were all to frightened to go near them, so I jumped at the chance, the Cyberman tried strangling me, the Dalek stared right at me through its eye stalk, my friend captured a picture of the 2 of us staring at each other, and a Silurian came right up into my face and started to sniff me. It was so funny and fun and we hadn't even got inside yet. So we queued for an hour, and when we finally got inside, I got really into it, unfortunately not everyone in the group did :( When we entered the Tardis, I couldn't contain my excitement so I rushed over to the control panels and Matt Smith appeared on screen behind us, we had to press certain levers, this girl next to me was told by Matt to push her lever, but she was just stood there, I told her "THAT'S YOU THAT'S YOU, QUICK PRESS IT" to which she blandly replied "I know". Of course when I was told to press the lever I went for it. Once the experience finished, we were allowed to stay for as long as we wanted at the exhibition, they had so many monsters there, I had to have pictures with them, I've got me with The Face of Boe, Sontarans, Davros, The Silence, a Judoon (my personal favourite alien) and me fiddling with the tentacles of an Ood. Unfortunately you weren't actually allowed to touch the stuff, so we had to get photos quickly whilst security wasn't looking, so I jumped beside David Tennant's outfit to have a photo, which to my surprise, the coat was very very soft, and then jumped up on the stand alongside Freema Agyeman's outfit and petted K-9. And then we took a few pictures on 9/10's Tardis, but sadly, there were so many people on it at the time, we couldn't get a good enough photo of us on it. In all, it was a fantastic day, well worth £15, so I'm looking forward to going again.
Martha Jones/KingMinun

Last edited:

Shelxio

It's my favorite television show. The plotlines are fantastic, and the low-budget special effects, however cheesy-looking, are good for the show's budget. And time travel is something that's always interested me, ever since I watched Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban as a kid, and Doctor Who has the best time travel concept I've seen. Ever. Plus I just love sci-fi :p

The Ninth Doctor, followed by 11 and then 10. Don't get me wrong, I love all three, they're all fantastic Doctors, but Eccleston's was just the wittiest and the best overall.

Desired character title?

Capt. Jack Harkness! Please! xD

Wasarym

'lectric-blue flavor
137916.jpg

Well, a lot of what the example had was my thoughts as well. I also like Doctor Who because it can be funny, clever, scary, etc., but it can also just be downright interesting, with stuff like the Doctor's character. I find stuff like the Dream Lord fascinating, and this has me excited for the next season. On another note, I enjoy the amount of horror that can go into Doctor Who as well, with stuff like the weeping angels (in fact, Blink was my first episode) and the silence, and even the Cybermen and Daleks. Lesser known monsters such as the Gas Mask child have also been a bit scary in their own way, and I'd name more if I'd seen more episodes recently. It's been a while since I've watched the show, probably since January.
Admittably, I haven't seen much of the older Doctor Whos. In fact, I can name each of them. I've seen "The Ark in Space", along with the subsequent "The Sontaran Experiment". I've also seen "The Caves of Androzani", and "The Happiness Patrol".

David Tennant was great. Right in the middle of Ecleston and Matt. Eccleston was great too, and I like Matt, but he's a bit too silly sometimes.

Last edited:

Shelxio

Anyone see the season 7 trailer yet?

Looks awesome. Also, though a release date hasn't been officially confirmed, we've got a possible August 25 date for the premiere.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!

Looks awesome. Also, though a release date hasn't been officially confirmed, we've got a possible August 25 date for the premiere.
It definitely airs next month, Matt Smith confirmed this, but yeah, 25th seems likely.

Also, I've just joined a website which does interviews for Doctor, I've joined as a reviewer, this website gets special passes into events and screenings which I will be allowed to attend on their behalf, they also get invite to the occasional convention where they interview writers and members of the cast, and with the upcoming Midnight event in Birmingham featuring David Tennant, Billie Piper, Eve Myles and Gareth David-Lloyd (10, Rose, Gwen and Ianto) I'm hoping to go, so if I can and I get a special pass, I could end up interviewing Tennant :p AHHHHH Now if only Freema was there.

Aegon

Welcome to all new members. Shelxio, if you want to join, please follow the instructions in the first post.

Yesterday, Mary Tamm, who played the first incarnation of Romana in the 70s, died. It's so unfortunate that many Classic Who actors are passing away lately. Tamm died of cancer, which also claimed Elisabeth Sladen last year. The fiftieth anniversary is so close, too.

There's not much else I want to talk about, though Doctor Who has secured a place on Entertainment Weekly's cover, a popular US magazine. It's the first British show to achieve this, which is quite exciting. Doctor Who's success and popularity is undeniably growing rapidly. Oh, and the preview for next month's DWM states "The wait is over... the Doctor enters the asylum of the Daleks!" I guess this confirms that the titular asylum is an actual place, which is interesting. A Dalek asylum. Run by whom?

-The Eleventh/Rory Williams

Pansy :]

anustart

I finally caved and watched the trailer (I delayed doing it so i could be "surprised" when it premiered, now I'm just wondering how the hell I ever thought I could make it...)...
Personally not anything I'm super excited about, especially seeing as it appears as if we're doing another split seaon this year, something i was pretty unfond of last season.

Although I am quite curious about the western themed episode, it does look really interesting... Normally I'm not super big on the episodes where they travel to the past, but this one looks like it could be really good! (loved amy's line "You've obviously been taking stupid lessons since the last time I saw you"!) I'm going to take a guess that this was "A Town Called Mercy"?

I just have to say that whenever I see a snowy location in any trailer (not just doctor who!) my mind immediately jumps to planet of the ood, despite the fact that I highly doubt that we'll see it this season...

And I believe I saw something about Filch and Mr. Weasley in this season?!? Along with Narcissa, Dobby and Madame Hooch in previous seasons? I do love it when my fandoms overlap...

Also, fairly random, but i must complain, I'm getting quite annoyed by all the hate Clara seems to be getting (not here obviously, but it's a trend a bunch of my facebook friends seem to be falling into)... We won't even see her in action for a few months, how can you even have an opinion on her?

Wasarym

'lectric-blue flavor
Welcome to all new members. Shelxio, if you want to join, please follow the instructions in the first post.

Yesterday, Mary Tamm, who played the first incarnation of Romana in the 70s, died. It's so unfortunate that many Classic Who actors are passing away lately. Tamm died of cancer, which also claimed Elisabeth Sladen last year. The fiftieth anniversary is so close, too.

There's not much else I want to talk about, though Doctor Who has secured a place on Entertainment Weekly's cover, a popular US magazine. It's the first British show to achieve this, which is quite exciting. Doctor Who's success and popularity is undeniably growing rapidly. Oh, and the preview for next month's DWM states "The wait is over... the Doctor enters the asylum of the Daleks!" I guess this confirms that the titular asylum is an actual place, which is interesting. A Dalek asylum. Run by whom?

An asylum can also be interpreted as a place of safety, of refuge. Perhaps the Doctor has found a large group of Daleks hiding someplace, trying to shelter themselves from "the oncoming storm."

Aegon

Pansy :];14882872 said:
Personally not anything I'm super excited about, especially seeing as it appears as if we're doing another split seaon this year, something i was pretty unfond of last season.
The split isn't as bad this year, since only October and November will be without new episodes of Who. This split makes sense in that it gives time to prepare for the new companion after Amy and Rory's departure. Last year's split series, while annoying, also was practical; now we can have Doctor Who on in the autumn instead of summer without having to wait over a year. I would like to have a full series of thirteen episodes over thirteen consecutive weeks again soon, though. It's been over two years since that last happened. :/

And I believe I saw something about Filch and Mr. Weasley in this season?!? Along with Narcissa, Dobby and Madame Hooch in previous seasons? I do love it when my fandoms overlap...
Guess who the latter's playing...

[SPOIL]Rory's dad! :D Mark Williams and David Bradley will both be in the second episode, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.[/SPOIL]

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Pansy :];14882872 said:
Also, fairly random, but i must complain, I'm getting quite annoyed by all the hate Clara seems to be getting (not here obviously, but it's a trend a bunch of my facebook friends seem to be falling into)... We won't even see her in action for a few months, how can you even have an opinion on her?

I've learnt my lesson with Martha never to bash a new companion until I see them in action. I hated Martha for replacing my Rose, and thought the idea of Martha was stupid. Minutes into the episode "Smith and Jones" I took everything back and Martha's my favourite companion and Rose is my least, so I shall never ever ever judge again. Plus I love Jenna-Louise Coleman's work so I'm really really looking forward to her in Doctor Who and hope she stays for a while.

Also, its confirmed that Series 8 will begin air in 2014. And 2013 brings 6 episodes of series 7 and then we'll be getting specials like we did in 2010 taking us up to the 50th anniversary.

Oh I forgot to say, with the sad news that Mary Tamm has passed away, and me really not knowing of her, I have been inspired to watch the Classic series of Doctor Who as I find it sad that we are losing so many people who contributed to make Doctor Who what it is today just before the 50th anniversary, so I'd like to appreciate their work. I started with the first episode, its....uh....different I'll give you that, and I'm quite interested in Susan, she's 15, and a companion? Now that's young, but I suppose she's a genius and a time lady I guess.

Martha Jones/KingMinun

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.