• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Doctor Who Club v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
...oh. I got all excited seeing people talking about a new trailer, but then it turns out you just meant the one that first showed up back in March. Sad elyvorg. :< Still, hopefully there actually will be a new trailer sometime fairly soon, since we're getting kind of close now! There still doesn't seem to be definite confirmation of a date, but the 25th really is the only possibility if it's true that Matt said it'll be in August. Less than a month to go! =D

Sorry that I've been a bit lazy with getting around to accepting new members. D:

Griff4815: Hi there! I guess you can claim the Eleventh Doctor, seeing as you got to the Doctor first. (Silly hats are definitely mandatory. *nodnod*)

Note, for clarification: no-one else may claim any other incarnation of the Doctor now. Griff4815 has still claimed the Doctor in his entirety; the only reason I'm putting it down on the list as "The Eleventh Doctor" is because of the new thing with claming characters where I'm allowing people to choose what they want their character to be put down as on the list, within reason. Since Griff claimed the Doctor, he therefore also got to choose how he wanted to express that on the members list, that's all.

Pansy :] - I vaguely remember you from the old club. Welcome back, and I hope you have the chance to be more active in here, even though you're not necessarily as big a fan of where Steven Moffat's been taking the series. And you're definitely allowed to have your favourite Doctor be a tie between multiple incarnations - I mean, look at my answer to that question!

Though I have to admit I sort of find it a shame that you don't like the Eleventh Doctor as much because you have trouble taking him seriously sometimes - I mean, not taking him too seriously is kind of the point whenever he acts like that! "Rule 27: Never knowingly be serious." It's a thing. :3 He's not taking himself seriously, either.

Shelxio: Sorry - that wasn't quite enough in your joining post for me to let you in. D: You're welcome to try again though; just think of a few more things to say. You were almost there.

Wasarym: Welcome to you too, and I like a lot of your points in your joining post. That article you linked to about the Doctor's dark side is indeed pretty interesting - however, that was all from 2011's Comic Con panel, and all the stuff they were talking about there came to pass in series 6 part 2. That said, I'm definitely hoping that exploration of the Doctor's dark side keeps being a thing throughout series 7 as well! That would be excellent.

Like I said to Pansy :], I think Matt's Doctor being too silly sometimes is sort of the point - like Matt himself said in that article, the Doctor has to be so bubbly because he has to keep going, despite all the things he's done. Or to put it another way, also something Matt Smith once said:
That’s what interests me about the Doctor because, actually, look at the blood on the man’s hands. Nine hundred years, countless very selfish choices, and he’s literally blown planets up. His own race, you know, that’s all on his hands. Which is why I think he has to make silly jokes and wear a fez. Because if he didn’t, he’d hang himself.
I've always rather liked that quote.

Anyway, hello to all the new members; I hope you'll stick around here and have lots of fun discussion once the series gets going! And Shelxio, like I said, feel free to try again.

KingMinun, I'm glad you had fun at the Experience! It really is pretty awesome. And it is definitely unfortunate that your friends didn't get as into it as you did. xP I must however confess to being slightly disappointed that you described it as "Matt Smith" talking to you in the TARDIS and telling you which levers to pull. I mean, yes, technically, it was Matt Smith, but in the context of the mini-adventure you were currently on, it was the Doctor, surely? D: But then I guess not everyone takes the in-universe as seriously as I do, so ignore me.

Much envy for there being monsters wandering around outside before you even entered, too! Presumably that was just because it had only just opened and they were trying to drum up excitement? Since I went to the London version long after it had opened, I didn't get to see anything like that.

Oh, we're getting a bunch of specials in 2013 after the second half of series 7? That sounds cool, especially considering that the 50th anniversary episode will presumably be one of them. This also makes me wonder if maybe these specials will be when the Eleventh Doctor will regenerate, just because that's how it happened for the Tenth Doctor too. This would mean that they both lasted for the same amount of episodes, so it might be an appropriate place to have it happen. Not that I'm remotely saying I actively want it to happen then, just that I would be fine with it if it did.

It is sad that yet another actor who contributed to Classic Doctor Who has passed away, even if I'd never seen any of her episodes. Apparently Romana thought the Doctor was her companion. She sounds like she was pretty awesome.

People are already hating on the new companion without having seen her? Ugh. I guess people will be like that, but... Hasn't everyone figured out yet that judging a new character before you've seen them never gets you anywhere because they always turn out to be great? Much like KingMinun's experiences with Martha, I learned my lesson about that way back with the Tenth Doctor. It makes me sad that some people still don't get it. :< I'm definitely glad there's going to be a gap between the Ponds' departure and the new companion's debut, because without that, the hate she'd get for simply not being Amy would probably end up even greater.

(By the way, is that name for her confirmed, then? I kind of like it, but I don't want to start thinking of her by it if it still might not actually be her name.)

Also, it's the Olympic opening ceremony tonight. I mention this because it is totally going to be the Tenth Doctor lighting the cauldron, right? 8D

-elyvorg/Amelia

Aegon

...oh. I got all excited seeing people talking about a new trailer, but then it turns out you just meant the one that first showed up back in March. Sad elyvorg. :< Still, hopefully there actually will be a new trailer sometime fairly soon, since we're getting kind of close now! There still doesn't seem to be definite confirmation of a date, but the 25th really is the only possibility if it's true that Matt said it'll be in August. Less than a month to go! =D
Your wish has been granted. A new trailer will air at 20:00 on Thursday. :D I'm looking forward to NEW FOOTAGE!

It's somewhat sad that a trailer excites us. xD

Oh, we're getting a bunch of specials in 2013 after the second half of series 7? That sounds cool, especially considering that the 50th anniversary episode will presumably be one of them. This also makes me wonder if maybe these specials will be when the Eleventh Doctor will regenerate, just because that's how it happened for the Tenth Doctor too. This would mean that they both lasted for the same amount of episodes, so it might be an appropriate place to have it happen. Not that I'm remotely saying I actively want it to happen then, just that I would be fine with it if it did.
I was looking forward to having many, many episodes in 2013. I suppose specials are fine, too. Steven's talked to Matt about the 2014 series, so it looks like Eleven will be surviving 2013, at least. Steven asked Matt, "Are you ready to cry?" This could, of course, refer to absolutely anything, but I'd say a regeneration is definitely likely for 2014.

(By the way, is that name for her confirmed, then? I kind of like it, but I don't want to start thinking of her by it if it still might not actually be her name.)
It hasn't been officially confirmed, but I think it's almost definitely her name. I've been avoiding spoilers, so I'm not certain.

Also, it's the Olympic opening ceremony tonight. I mention this because it is totally going to be the Tenth Doctor lighting the cauldron, right? 8D
I held out hope until the end that the final torchbearer would be Tennant, complete in his Tenth Doctor clothes. The opening ceremony was quite magical.

I've been reading through DWM, and it contains an interview with Chris Chibnall, who's writing two episodes of Series 7 (Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and Cubed). He discusses Cubed:

[SPOILER="Cubed" background]Originally, only four pre-Christmas episodes were planned for Series 7. However, it was decided to add another one that would focus on Amy and Rory before they leave. The episode involves an alien invasion, but mostly details Amy and Rory's life and the Doctor's presence in it. Rory's dad (from the second episode) returns, as does UNIT! It doesn't seem to be extremely sci-fi-y, however, it does contain some of those elements.

Also, I stumbled across what may be a spoiler for the episode, regarding an alien race, which is slightly annoying.[/SPOILER]

Why won't Thursday hurry up? D:

-The Eleventh/Rory Williams.

TylerPhoenix

I'm glad to be back!
Why do you like Doctor Who?

So, where to start...

Well, I've always been a fan of sci-fi. Aged three I was running around with a lightsaber and a cloak, pretending to be Darth Vader. Then, aged six, I saw my dad sitting down and watching an old TV Series, which, when asked, he said was called Doctor Who. So, every night, for around an hour, we'd sit an watch some old Doctor Who episodes before I went to bed. As a child, I found it extraordinarily scary, and would go to bed with a flashlight on, hunting for any Daleks that may try and exterminate me, or any signs of K-9 in my bedroom. Aged ten, Doctor Who relaunched, and I sat down with my excited parents (especially my dad!) and we watched Christopher Eccleston appear as the Doctor and meet Rose Tyler, saving her from the Autons and The Nestene Conscience. I loved the whole series, especially the Daleks, and it kind of ignited a full passion for the programme. I've since watched lots more old episodes, with and without my dad, and I regularly buy the Doctor Who Magazine. All in all, its a universe filled with anything you could imagine, and anything could happen - any sci-fi fan's living dream, wrapped up into a series of 45-minute shows, every year. PERFECTION.

Who's your favourite Doctor?
My favourite Doctor is the Tenth Doctor, played by the amazing David Tennant. For reasons, see below, as I rambled on about him a bit there - I also feel his episodes were some of the best and more emotional that I've seen, thus creating a superiority in what Tennant was able to do in his role as The Doctor. Heh, but that's just my view.

Desired character title?
Its a shame the Eleventh Doctor has been taken, as I'd love to be David Tennant's Doctor, my all time favourite Doctor. He was funny, witty and had some very emotional moments, and I felt the way he was portrayed was both as a hero, but one whose wrath would be fierce, such as in Human Nature/The Family of Blood. He is obviously a character who shows clear signs of right and wrong, and seems to have a grasp of what its like to be a human, whereas some of the other Doctors seem too un-human in their ways of acting.

However, purely for the sake of him being my second-favourite character, I will be K-9. A robot dog with lazers and alien-scanners. Pure awesomes. And he speaks in a very cool way too.

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
Krazy95: Hello, and welcome! You're making me almost wish I'd had a childhood filled with classic Doctor Who; that sounds like it must have been pretty fun. :3

Yay for K-9! I have an inordinate fondness for that metal doggy myself, which may have something to do with the fact that I made myself a costume of him due to being a geeky student and have since worn it to two London Expos.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy discussing the upcoming series with us here!

Your wish has been granted. A new trailer will air at 20:00 on Thursday. :D I'm looking forward to NEW FOOTAGE!

It's somewhat sad that a trailer excites us. xD
I know! I saw that news. :3 I am very excited. What are you talking about it totally isn't sad at all. :B

I was looking forward to having many, many episodes in 2013. I suppose specials are fine, too. Steven's talked to Matt about the 2014 series, so it looks like Eleven will be surviving 2013, at least. Steven asked Matt, "Are you ready to cry?" This could, of course, refer to absolutely anything, but I'd say a regeneration is definitely likely for 2014.
Ooh, yay, that's good news! I mean, it's not exactly confirmation of another series with Matt, but it's promising.

(Yeah, so, despite my insistence on remaining open-minded about future Doctors, I do still always want the current one to stick around as long as possible. Shush.)

I held out hope until the end that the final torchbearer would be Tennant, complete in his Tenth Doctor clothes. The opening ceremony was quite magical.
Haha. I was never honestly expecting him to be the torchbearer, really. However, after appearances from various iconic British fictional characters such as James Bond, Mr. Bean and Voldemort (as well as the whole segment about the concept of monsters under the bed, which I rather enjoyed), I was holding out some hope that the Doctor might make some small appearance. And, well, during the part with the 60s and 70s music, the TARDIS could be briefly, faintly heard in the background at one point. So he kind of did! Yay.

I've been reading through DWM, and it contains an interview with Chris Chibnall, who's writing two episodes of Series 7 (Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and Cubed). He discusses Cubed:

[SPOILER="Cubed" background]Originally, only four pre-Christmas episodes were planned for Series 7. However, it was decided to add another one that would focus on Amy and Rory before they leave. The episode involves an alien invasion, but mostly details Amy and Rory's life and the Doctor's presence in it. Rory's dad (from the second episode) returns, as does UNIT! It doesn't seem to be extremely sci-fi-y, however, it does contain some of those elements.

Also, I stumbled across what may be a spoiler for the episode, regarding an alien race, which is slightly annoying.[/SPOILER]

From that info, it sounds like it might be a Doctor-lite episode, perhaps - which I would actually be pretty much fine with, since we've gone two full series of the Eleventh Doctor so far without having a Doctor-lite episode and that's pretty awesome, so having one here won't seem that bad. Especially if it focuses on Amy and Rory and explores their home life and their family and the effect the Doctor's had on it. That has the potential to be really interesting.

probably less than four weeks to go~!

-elyvorg/Amelia

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
It hasn't been officially confirmed, but I think it's almost definitely her name. I've been avoiding spoilers, so I'm not certain.
At the filming I saw with the Doctor, Clara, Vastra, Jenny, etc. I was able to hear the name Clara a few times. Also Jenny says to the Doctor, "But Clara's dead". I also heard:
Doctor: Okay, so not London 1882, but Yorkshire 1883, close enough
Clara: You're making a habit of this aren't you.

So my friend has finally started to send me pictures of our trip to the Doctor Who experience, so here's me and the Cyberman
dscf0335m.jpg

And also, I bought a life size standee of Martha Jones today, I brought it home on the train, so I sat it down on a seat and just left it there till my stop, had a few faces staring at it, and no one wanted to sit next to it. And now its in my room, my dog walked in ready to go to bed, and started growling at it, she then walked up to it, sniffed it, then growled again, before running out of my room scared, now she won't come back in. I've had a few laughs today with this standee.

EDIT: 01/08/2012
Tomorrow we get the trailer for the new series, a 90 second long trailer, but look what just leaked!
tumblr_m83de0m0951qb38i1o1_500.png

KingMinun/Martha Jones

Last edited:

Aegon

HOLY MOTHER OF—

That is... beautiful. I cannot cope.

I'm just posting to remind everyone that the trailer will be available in seven hours (!) on the official website before its television debut. Additionally, SFX will be revealing something at midnight, though it seems, due to KingMinun's post, that it may have already leaked. I'm still going to stay up and hope for more, but I doubt it now.

That image is so amazing. Why do we have to wait a just over three weeks (!)? ;_;

-The Eleventh/Rory Williams

e: There's a larger version of that image here.

It's so good, it makes me cry.

Last edited:

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
Aaaaa.

Trying to find words. That image is amazing.

(even more largerer version of it here.)

Well. If there was ever a way to make me more excited about Asylum of the Daleks than I already was simply by virtue of Dalek episode by Steven Moffat, this is probably it. The variety of Daleks and explosions in the background definitely help with the impact and everything, but the main point is that Amy is apparently dead. And of course we know that Amy can't actually die in the episode, but the Doctor doesn't know that and the look on his face and aaaaaa. (Did I ever mention that I really enjoy those moments when the Doctor goes all terrifying? Because I do. I have no idea why.)

And this is also making me think about how, at the end of last series, the Doctor had finally managed to leave Amy and Rory safe at home where nothing bad would ever happen to them any more, but seeing an image like this just drives home what a potentially dangerous thing it was/will be for them to be back on the TARDIS again. (I really, really hope that the issue of them rejoining the Doctor despite everything is addressed somehow. It has to be.) So for something like this to happen to Amy after the Doctor had not so long ago thought she'd be safe forever, when it's probably largely down to him that she continued adventuring... what is that going to do to him? And it was probably done by Daleks, who always make things inherently more emotional and personal for the Doctor with their mere presence, even without something like this happening.

This. I want. Now.

I do wonder slightly if this image is entirely for Asylum of the Daleks, or if maybe it's a bit more abstract and kind of covers the entire first half of the series. It's possible the "Daleks!" part and the "Amy is apparently dead!" part aren't actually connected in an episode, and the latter is there because of episode 5 (what with all the stuff we've been hearing about how not everyone's getting out of it alive), which would mean all my extra excitement about Asylum is unfounded. But even if so, it's still just an awesome picture.

The Eleventh's reaction to this pretty much sums up mine, too. Just... wow.

And if the epicness of that image is anything to go by, tomorrow's trailer is going to be mind-blowing. I'm actually planning to not watch it as soon as it becomes available online so that I can instead see it for the first time when it shows on BBC One in the evening. Seeing a trailer on the BBC is always one of the things that makes it really sink in for me that the new series is not far off, and I want that feeling in its full glory this time, too. =D

Though that said, that image has already got me massively hyped.

twenty four daaays~!

-elyvorg/Amelia

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Okay guys I bring you a link to the new trailer for Series 7 part A!
As usual, you've been warned, they contain spoilers!!!!! So please don't open unless you don't mind.
So here's the epicness of the trailer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsVYJnujVvg&feature=player_embedded

This has gotten me super excited! August 25th! HERE WE COME

KingMinun/Martha Jones

Aegon

Like elyvorg, I was planning on watching the trailer as it airs on BBC One. But, of course, I simply couldn't resist. I'll still be watching it later on, though.

I don't want to over-analyse it, so I'm just going to post my immediate thoughts. It's a great trailer, though the Series 4 one still hasn't been topped. Obviously, Daleks. Lots of them. They also appear to have a human servant, which will be great to see. Those dinosaurs look very impressive. Also, Nefertiti. Yay. The Doctor's speech and Amy's reply from A Town Called Mercy is very interesting, too.

The statue blowing out Rory's candle was brilliant. I hope this means that we'll be seeing more forms of Weeping Angels at last, since the ending of Blink implied that they could appear like any statue. Oh, no; I've thought of something that may occur (perhaps it's even likely). What if the Statue of Liberty is a Weeping Angel? I can definitely see that happening.

Oh, and we've got River and lovely squeaky robots!

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
Griff4815: Sure.

Also, KingMinun, there's no need to use a spoiler tag if the only thing it's hiding is a link. Just make it clear what the link is to, so that choosing to click the link will be the equivalent of choosing to click a spoiler tag. It's not as if anyone will be spoiled by seeing a Youtube URL. =P

Yaaaaay trailer!

Daleks! So many Daleks this is going to be epic. Interestingly, they all seem to be RTD-era Daleks with a couple of Paradigm ones - none of the massive variety we've heard there's going to be. Are the rest of them not coming to this massive kill-the-Doctor Dalek meet? Actually, I wonder: the Doctor blowing up all of the Daleks seems like it would be the climax of the episode, except, it can't be, because it's being shown in a trailer. They'd never show the climax of an episode that explicitly in a trailer. So then what happens next? How is it not over after that?

Also piquing my interest from the Dalek episode is the Doctor promising Amy and Rory (but mostly Amy, by the looks of it) that they'll get through this. It's as adorable as such things always are, but the thing is, I thought he'd stopped doing that. I thought that after the end of last series the Doctor was making an effort to have less of a god complex and not to lie that everything will be all right if it might not be. At Christmas, when the kids were trapped in the forest, he never promised that he could definitely get them out; he was really quite honest about how little chance they had and merely promised that he'd try. Whereas here... hmm. But this is just me being a silly elyvorg who overanalyses the Doctor too much so ignore me.

That guy with the rifle and the hat - that's Howard Carter, right? I think I remember reading somewhere that he'd be in episode 2. That's... it really shouldn't be surprising, since if there's dinosaurs on this spaceship then anything else is positively ordinary, but I still find it so wonderfully mad. I love this universe.

Speaking of dinosaurs, they are riding a triceratops. That is beyond crazily awesome. Also, raptors! One of my favourite kinds of dinosaur. And the Doctor just had to get in a title drop, didn't he? (My favourite part about that line of his is the fact that he has to be dragged away afterwards by an exasperated Amy. x3 Oh, those two.)

I too am very intrigued by that exchange between the Doctor and Amy in A Town Called Mercy. It's definitely got me even more interested in that episode - I had no idea the fact the town is called Mercy would end up being all relevant to charactery stuff with the Doctor. It's looking like this episode will have much more to it than just being a silly fun romp in the Wild West. (Then again, I should really have expected that, since it's written by the guy who wrote The God Complex. Which, incidentally, is also a title that turned out to be far more character-relevant than it originally seemed, isn't it? Hee. =D)

River! I was honestly beginning to think we might not be seeing her this series, so I'm glad to know that's not the case.

A new variety of Weeping Angel! Maybe the last thirty seconds of Blink really will turn out to be worth something after all. And given this, yes, I definitely wouldn't be surprised if the Statue of Liberty were a Weeping Angel. (New York is such a busy city that there must be at least someone looking at it every moment of every day and night, right?)

It's a pretty awesome trailer. :3 I am so starting to get into the pre-series-anticipation frame of mind now. Whee!

twenty-three days to go!

-elyvorg/Amelia

Last edited:

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Dinosaurs on a spaceship with Rory's dad?! This will most likely be the best Doctor Who episode ever! the Doctor's "Dinosaurs...on a spaceship! 8D!" pretty much sums up my feelings about it. And raptors! Hooray for raptors! And pterodactyls! And I can only hope that Rory's dad is as awkward and awesome as his son.

That's also a lot of Daleks.

Hm. That was shorter than it was originally going to be. I still can't wait for the series to start though.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Griff4815: Sure.

Also, KingMinun, there's no need to use a spoiler tag if the only thing it's hiding is a link. Just make it clear what the link is to, so that choosing to click the link will be the equivalent of choosing to click a spoiler tag. It's not as if anyone will be spoiled by seeing a Youtube URL. =P

Yaaaaay trailer!

Daleks! So many Daleks this is going to be epic. Interestingly, they all seem to be RTD-era Daleks with a couple of Paradigm ones - none of the massive variety we've heard there's going to be. Are the rest of them not coming to this massive kill-the-Doctor Dalek meet? Actually, I wonder: the Doctor blowing up all of the Daleks seems like it would be the climax of the episode, except, it can't be, because it's being shown in a trailer. They'd never show the climax of an episode that explicitly in a trailer. So then what happens next? How is it not over after that?

Also piquing my interest from the Dalek episode is the Doctor promising Amy and Rory (but mostly Amy, by the looks of it) that they'll get through this. It's as adorable as such things always are, but the thing is, I thought he'd stopped doing that. I thought that after the end of last series the Doctor was making an effort to have less of a god complex and not to lie that everything will be all right if it might not be. At Christmas, when the kids were trapped in the forest, he never promised that he could definitely get them out; he was really quite honest about how little chance they had and merely promised that he'd try. Whereas here... hmm. But this is just me being a silly elyvorg who overanalyses the Doctor too much so ignore me.

That guy with the rifle and the hat - that's Howard Carter, right? I think I remember reading somewhere that he'd be in episode 2. That's... it really shouldn't be surprising, since if there's dinosaurs on this spaceship then anything else is positively ordinary, but I still find it so wonderfully mad. I love this universe.

Speaking of dinosaurs, they are riding a triceratops. That is beyond crazily awesome. Also, raptors! One of my favourite kinds of dinosaur. And the Doctor just had to get in a title drop, didn't he? (My favourite part about that line of his is the fact that he has to be dragged away afterwards by an exasperated Amy. x3 Oh, those two.)

I too am very intrigued by that exchange between the Doctor and Amy in A Town Called Mercy. It's definitely got me even more interested in that episode - I had no idea the fact the town is called Mercy would end up being all relevant to charactery stuff with the Doctor. It's looking like this episode will have much more to it than just being a silly fun romp in the Wild West. (Then again, I should really have expected that, since it's written by the guy who wrote The God Complex. Which, incidentally, is also a title that turned out to be far more character-relevant than it originally seemed, isn't it? Hee. =D)

River! I was honestly beginning to think we might not be seeing her this series, so I'm glad to know that's not the case.

A new variety of Weeping Angel! Maybe the last thirty seconds of Blink really will turn out to be worth something after all. And given this, yes, I definitely wouldn't be surprised if the Statue of Liberty were a Weeping Angel. (New York is such a busy city that there must be at least someone looking at it every moment of every day and night, right?)

It's a pretty awesome trailer. :3 I am so starting to get into the pre-series-anticipation frame of mind now. Whee!

twenty-three days to go!

-elyvorg/Amelia

Okay gotcha, just wanted to make sure that if you were clicking the trailer, you really really really were certain you wanted to see some of the new stuff and not have some stuff spoiled.

As for the trailer
I think the trailer really has highlighted how close The Doctor and Amy really are, its not something I have honestly noticed much within Series 5 and 6, okay she brought him back and all, and she travels with him, but it really shows how much Amy knows the Doctor, with the pulling him away and the little speech in "A Town Called Mercy".

As for River Song, she was spotted in the USA filming, and she also appeared in Cardiff filming with some real life statues not Weeping Angels, so I guess its going back to what Blink originally said that all statues can be Weeping Angels, and its the only times she's been seen filming, so looks like she's only in Episode 5, Amy and Rory's last episode. I also recall at the Convention in Cardiff, Moffat said something about River having a smaller role in Series 7 as Series 6 was her series. So after this appearance in episode 5, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see her until the 2013 specials. In fact, part of me thinks that's when we see her first meet the Doctor, for the 50th anniversary, since River is Moffat's creation, I expect her to play a big part in the 50th. Anyway, I'm rambling on about River too much.....

So yeah, I can't wait for the 25th August now, its so close, 3 weeks away.

EDIT: So an actor for the upcoming series 7 episodes has been announced. Richard E. Grant. I'm not familiar with his work, but he played the 9th Doctor in 2003 in an animated webisode series. And apparently also played the 9th Doctor in something else before being retconned and Christopher Eccleston being the 9th Doctor. This has had many Doctor Who fans raging because of a Twitter PR stunt in which an "iconic" cast member was to be announced. Richard E. Grant was revealed and fans are angry about the wording of the PR stunt and are even criticizing R.E.G's work because of it, talk about over-reacting. But nonetheless, no details of who he is playing, or what he's doing have been revealed. I think he could be playing Clara's father, grandfather, uncle, some sort of family member. It'd be nice to have one of the companions with a father and not a mother this time. Rose and Donna both lost their fathers, it would be nice to have a change and have Clara and her father. But yeah, that's just who I think he'll be.

06/08/2012 EDIT: So today, I went to watch some filming, however, it was an inside shoot, however, I did see Richard E. Grant. And a car pulled up, and inside was someone underneath a big purple hoody who was rushed into the building, so it has left us wondering who was under there. At the end of the day, Matt Smith came out of the building, hopped into the car, and as they drove off, they stopped right in front of me and a few others, i was stood right in the front of everyone, and Matt put his hand up, and waved! I almost fainted :p Twas an awesome day.

KingMinun/ Martha Jones

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Now being caught up with the modern series, I can still honestly say that there is so much to like. I like the heroes, the Doctor, his companions (for the most part), and the incidental heroes that pop-up from time to time. And I like the monsters, they’re often the sort of monsters that don’t seem very scary, until weeks later when your alone in the dark and think you see the reflection off a Dalek’s eyestalk. And obviously I love whole concept of a spaceship that can go anywhere looking like a wooden police box, because the Doctor was to busy picking up temporal hitchhikers and saving the human race to bother fixing it. Then of course there’s the looks on people’s face when they watch it, you can see the gears turning, ’cause they’re fascinated.

Who’s your favourite Doctor?
The 10th Doctor is still my favorite I think. I like all the regenerations I’ve encountered. But he’s a little more mature and rational than 11, still if you don’t have dementia at 903, you’re probably not going to get it. (Speaking of irrational, which regeneration do you suppose it was that threw the T.A.R.D.I.S.’s instruction manual into a supernova? As mentioned by 11.) I’ve also been reading “Empire of Broken Glass”, and I must say I rather adore the 1st Doctor’s feigning senility whenever it was convenient not to have to talk about something, ‘Oh that? Ah, I don’t remember.’ The younger Doctors just can’t get away with that, but it’s cute when the older Doctors do.

Desired character title?
Sally Sparrow
(Though if I ever get a chance to Doctor Who cosplay somewhere, I’d probably go as Miss Foster.)

Wasarym

'lectric-blue flavor
I just took good look at the new trailer, and I'll now speculate (be warned, these "speculations" are the result of over-analysing small details and running with the results. It's fun).

* In what I'll assume is the Asylum of the Daleks, there are many of the old non-Power Ranger standard color daleks, but two red New Paradigm daleks can be seen at 00:11. And that just might be a dalek-human at 00:44. But those were considered inferior by the other daleks, and were all killed by Dalek Caan. Likewise, the New Paradigm daleks view all the other daleks as inferior. So from this (if I'm correct), it seems there's an established caste system. I wonder if we'll be seeing a New Paradigm Dalek Emporer. Although honestly I'd be just fine if one didn't show up.

* I wonder what that ice planet is for... I'm reminded of Yggdrasil, "The World Tree" of norse mythology. Take what you will from this, I'm in a hurry.

* Dinosaurs on a space ship! Hope Invasion of the Dinosaurs gets refernced.

* The Doctor seems to feel very guilty for "killing with mercy". I find it interesting that he mentions "the Masters." Seems he feels guilty for making The Master regenerate so many times. Also, apparently he's been traveling alone. That's never good for the Doctor, but the results are always compelling.

And that's it for now.

Also,

That’s what interests me about the Doctor because, actually, look at the blood on the man’s hands. Nine hundred years, countless very selfish choices, and he’s literally blown planets up. His own race, you know, that’s all on his hands. Which is why I think he has to make silly jokes and wear a fez. Because if he didn’t, he’d hang himself.

I'd forgotten about that quote. Seems kind of odd exploring this after David Tennant's doctor, but that oddness just gets assimilated by the implications it has on regeneration. Resolved guilt gets resurfaced, and this makes sense, because a new man needs new ways to cope.

Although when I said dark side, I meant a more Seventh Doctor kind of dark. But comparing the current Doctor and the Seventh gives an interesting contrast. On the one hand, we have a whimsical Doctor who hides an angry yet guilty side, and on the other, we have a whimsical Doctor who is actually very manipulative. And I wouldn't be making this comparison if it weren't for the Dreamlord, a highly manipulative dark side of the Doctor. And to top it all off, the old series was cancelled during the Seventh Doctor's run. Wherever they were going with that is still up in the air, and what better place than in the Doctor's second to last regeneration.

I'm going to bed now.

Last edited:

Aegon

Welcome, VampirateMace.

Well, it seems Doctor Who may not be airing on 25th August, as previously thought. Doctor Who Magazine has been delayed until 30th August/7th September (a precise date hasn't been issued), and it features a preview of the first few episodes. It's worth pointing out that the delay has nothing to do with the series itself; the magazine missed its allocated printing times. However, there hasn't been much of a fuss made about this, so it seems Asylum of the Daleks won't be broadcast until after the 30th. Besides, an air date hasn't been announced yet, and I doubt they'd leave it this late if it were to be shown in ten days' time. Oh well.

Moving onto more exciting news, the first episode was screened tonight at the BFI (which means spoilers are out there! Aaah! Must. Avoid.). An SFX reporter tweeted, "Utterly blown away by 'Asylum Of The Daleks'. Strongest season opener yet. Epic, heart-punching, hilarious... and sneaky." I can't wait! Why are the BBC so evil? D: Also, the opening credits have been updated. There's a "revamped logo, no more swooshy cast credits [and] new typography." I presume the new logo is this one, which has featured on merchandise and media, such as DWM. The only change is the placement of the "DW" TARDIS. I find it rather pointless; I much preferred the previous one. I'm interested in seeing how the lack of "swooshy cast credits" will work; they've been like that for a long time.

The titles of Episodes Four and Five have also been confirmed.

Four is called The Power of Three (previously titled Cubed), while Amy and Rory's final episode is The Angels Take Manhattan. These are pretty cool titles. :D I love how cheesy TPOT is. It's weird having TATM, when Karen Gillan stared in a drama called We'll Take Manhattan only a few months ago. I still absolutely love it, though.

e: Ooh! A date has actually been announced. I've just come across it. Asylum of the Daleks shall air on BBC One on 1st September. That means there are only two more Who-less Saturdays. Molto bene!

Wow, this is weird. Series 7 Part 1 will air only in September (there are five Saturdays). One series in one month. Strange. So we'll have to wait through October, November and most of December for the Christmas Special. That's not too bad. After all, we've just endured over eight months of no Who. ;_;

Last edited:

Becoming

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
Okay, so I haven't had much Who talk in ages. So I'll join the club again!

I find there are many reasons to like Doctor Who. Firstly it's just a hell of a lot of fun. Bowties, cool hats, time travel, I'm really one for all of those things. Next, this applies especially to Moffat's Who, it's especially silly, but serious at the same time. It always starts out joke-y when the Doctor, Amy and Rory leave the TARDIS. Then it becomes more and more meaningful. And everyone the Doctor meets is either A) better for it or B) dead. And another thing I love are the monsters/aliens. Y'all know I love to fear the Weeping Angels, and also the Silence. They give you a heck of a fright. Oh, and also the characters. All of them are better off for knowing the Doctor (except for Donna, poor Donna). Is that enough reasons?
Who's your favourite Doctor?
Well my first Doctor (Ten) is always awesome. He's always the one who has to make the hard decisions, and Tennant is also a really good actor. But I also like Eleven now. He's just awesome and wacky but still very complex. So yeah, love 'em both.
Desired character title?
Weeping Angel. Favorite monster of mine.

TBH I haven't been following DW much since last series. Honestly I haven't been watching it much (like re-watching). But I'm gonna try to find the new series online so I can watch it with y'all and then speculate. But I feel this series, unlike last series, won't have as much speculation. I mean last time we had "who is River?", "who are the silence?" and in general there was a big build-up to an awesome series finale. This time I think it's not gonna be like that at all (just a feeling).

I'll start posting some stuff once I read through like every single thing y'all have posted since the club started (I need to catch up!).

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Ah, the bottom of the 2nd page, that was close. So I'm super excited now with the trailers, posters and with it being just around the corner. Once again, I went to filming last week which again was nearby me, Matt and Jenna are constantly rushed into the buildings to film, it gets annoying, and to make it worse, the same group of people turn up with their huge cameras trying to take pictures of every little detail and standing in other people's way to get photos, and then to make it worse, they post them on the internet trying to get as many views as possible and then leak the story to others, spoiling it, and I turn up to filming shoots, but don't pay attention to what's going on because I don't want to spoil it, but they turn up with the intention to spoil it for others, where as I only go to meet the cast and to get a picture and autograph with them. Gah these guys really annoy me, and they stand there talking really loudly about what the stories are, without a care for the rest of us, they spoiled a story for series 7 for me a few days ago, its just really annoyed me and ruined the experience of going to watch filming. But yeah I ranted.....

In other news, it looks like the UK airdate is either 1st September or the 8th instead, where as the US release date is the 8th apparently according to some trailer, which if this is true, is kinda annoying that the US get a confirmed airdate before the UK.

And also in other news, Rory has finally got a figure. The Rory Williams action figure comes out next month.
http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite...e-rory/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
The hair is a little off in my opinion.

And finally, I'm booked for my trip next month, my 3 night stay in Birmingham (not abroad :() at the Hilton. Why? There's a Doctor Who convention there of course, and so far its guests are David Tennant, the lady who plays Trinity Wells (the US news reporter in the Doctor Who and its spin offs), one of the cavemen from the very first serial "An Unearthly Child" and a writer for Doctor Who (Fires of Pompeii) and Torchwood (Sleeper). I'm very excited, and I'm hoping they get Freema to come along, I've bought a silver ticket which means I get a photo and autograph with all the guests which means.... I GET A PHOTO WITH DAVID TENNANT! MY DOCTOR!!!!! and his autograph too, but I already have that.

In other Doctor Who related news:
Russell T Davies' new tv show is due to air around October, "Wizards Vs Aliens" so be sure to look out for that (And look out for me in it, as an extra who stands right behind the main cast in one scene)
And Russell T Davies is working on a show for Cbeebies, its half live action and half film, the story is about an old man who tells his grandchildren and friends stories about when he was a child, the show stars Bernard Cribbins (Wilfred Mott) as the main character and Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones) who is the supporting lead.

And that's all the news I know for now.

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
So the series isn't starting in August after all. :< Hopefully it'll be September 1st instead, then. (At least this makes me feel slightly less bad about the fact I've kind of failed to post in here for over two weeks. D: )

VampirateMace: Welcome back. Nice to hear you've caught up with everything; I almost envy you having been able to see all those episodes for the first time. Now you can participate in discussion without having to worry about spoilers or not knowing what we're talking about, too.

kjt: Welcome back to you, too. I remember you being a pretty awesome contributor back when you were around in the old club. Hopefully you can find a way to watch the new series at the same time as us so you can keep up with our discussion! Though you're right that there'll probably be less to speculate on this time around. It seems series 7 is less about complex mystery and more about big, mad, movie-poster concepts for individual episodes. (Just look at the title of episode 2.) But still. I hope you enjoy it here!

In fact, part of me thinks that's when we see her first meet the Doctor, for the 50th anniversary...
Huh? We've already seen when River first meets the Doctor - remember Let's Kill Hitler? They're not actually going in exactly opposite directions, despite how she's described it.

EDIT: So an actor for the upcoming series 7 episodes has been announced. Richard E. Grant. [...] But nonetheless, no details of who he is playing, or what he's doing have been revealed. I think he could be playing Clara's father, grandfather, uncle, some sort of family member.

Actually...

...is apparently an antagonist. I heard this on a radio interview with Steven Moffat last week in which he offhandedly mentioned that they've started filming the Christmas episode and Grant plays a great villain in it.

* I wonder what that ice planet is for... I'm reminded of Yggdrasil, "The World Tree" of norse mythology. Take what you will from this, I'm in a hurry.
I think the ice planet is from Asylum of the Daleks; the earlier trailer from March seems to indicate so. Dunno what the Daleks are doing there, though. It might even just be a snowy part of Earth.

* The Doctor seems to feel very guilty for "killing with mercy". I find it interesting that he mentions "the Masters." Seems he feels guilty for making The Master regenerate so many times. Also, apparently he's been traveling alone. That's never good for the Doctor, but the results are always compelling.
I don't think that's what he's saying. I think he feels guilty that, because of all the times he's shown mercy to villains (such as the Daleks or the Master) and let them live when he could have killed them, those villains have gone on to kill countless more innocent people. He feels that the blood of all those victims is on his hands because he's too merciful to the bad guys.

And yeah, he's been travelling alone. Don't you remember? Ever since The God Complex, where he left Amy and Rory at home so he wouldn't endanger their lives any more. And according to him, it's been at least 194 years from his perspective since then, so he really has been on his own for a long time.

(I totally agree with you that prolonged solitude always tends to have interesting results on the Doctor. =D)

Although when I said dark side, I meant a more Seventh Doctor kind of dark. But comparing the current Doctor and the Seventh gives an interesting contrast. On the one hand, we have a whimsical Doctor who hides an angry yet guilty side, and on the other, we have a whimsical Doctor who is actually very manipulative.

I can't really comment on this as I don't know the Seventh Doctor myself, although I have heard about how he can often be quite the manipulative chessmaster type. But... surely he's only ever manipulative in ways that he knows will eventually end well for the people he cares about? For example, I read that once he was extremely cruel to Ace in order to break her faith in him, because this was the only way to save her life in a situation similar to The God Complex. So his actions may seem cold on the outside but ultimately he does them because he cares... right?

Not entirely sure where I'm going with this. I think what I'm trying to say is that, personally, I don't think there is anything ultimately wrong with the Doctor telling lies that are part of his plan and will eventually benefit people, whereas lies he tells simply because, emotionally, he doesn't want to admit the truth are not so good. And I don't really know about the Seventh Doctor, but the Eleventh Doctor tends to do a lot of the latter kind of lying. (Or at least he did up until The God Complex. We'll see soon if he can keep up his more recent honest form.)

Something like that. This still isn't me trying to argue against what you said or anything; I'm just having a ramble.

...and what better place than in the Doctor's second to last regeneration.
Haha, do you really think that the show is going to be over once the Doctor gets to the end of his thirteenth incarnation? =P Steven Moffat's often said in interviews that if it ever comes to that, they'll deal with it using the writers' "emergency protocol": they'll make something up!

There's a "revamped logo, no more swooshy cast credits [and] new typography."
D:

This makes me sad. I liked that there were swooshy cast credits!

Also, yay titles!

The Power of Three; nice. In one way it means the same thing as Cubed, but in another way it's far more meaningfully referring to how the episode is supposedly about Amy and Rory's lives with the Doctor than the tentative title was.

Aside from the titles, there's been a slow trickle of new stuff coming in. There's this teaser trailer for Asylum of the Daleks, which isn't much but does have one rather interesting thing in it.

"Save the Daleks"?

Well. That's going to end up relevant to A Town Called Mercy.

(or at least I hope it is. But shush.)

Then there's a gallery of images from the half-series in general. Most of them don't really show us anything we haven't seen in trailers, but there was one that caught my eye.
...namely, the one with the TARDIS mid-materialisation on Amy and Rory's street as the Pond couple watch. I'm pretty sure she's not dematerialising, because Amy and Rory are in the outfits they're in for Asylum of the Daleks, and it doesn't make sense for the Doctor to be leaving them behind at home during that episode. What this does mean is that Asylum of the Daleks doesn't follow on directly from Christmas; the Doctor must have left them there after their adorable heartwarming Christmas dinner together, and then this is him showing up again sometime later. I wonder why. By which I mean I'm really, really curious, and I always have been, about what's making him willing to put himself back in their lives despite everything that happened last series.
Plus a gallery specific to Asylum, which again isn't telling us much plotwise, but oh my god the Doctor is clearly going to be put through the whole gamut of emotions in this episode and why isn't it September yet. Aaaa.

I also found a couple of interviews with the cast and stuff like that, but nothing that really gave too much juicy info - just some general stuff about how these five episodes are going to focus a lot on the Ponds, understandably. There was also Matt Smith offhandedly mentioning that the Doctor is 900-odd years old while describing him, which caught me off-guard - isn't he at least 1103 now? But that was probably just Matt not really thinking too hard and being so used to saying the Doctor is 900 because he was until recently. That said, it could turn out to be the case that the Doctor was lying when he claimed to be 1103 (and that the writer who seemingly confirmed the 194-year gap was also lying/didn't know better), but I kind of hope not because god dammit Doctor I know you lie a lot but I've spent so long believing this one to be the truth and gah.

In one of the interviews, I also particularly liked this:

Interviewer: In one word, can you describe the Doctor?
Steven Moffat: *pauses, thinks for a moment* ...No.

Isn't that just so very true? =D (When Matt Smith was asked the same question, he came up with "Alien", which probably is the most accurate way to describe the Doctor if you can only use a single word.)

~11 days to go, hopefully really properly this time!~

-elyvorg/Amelia

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Yep, it's nice to know what we're talking about.

I took it for fact that the doctor was 1103 at Lake Silencio... and the 903 year old one returned later that episode... but now that I see those two numbers together, yeah, isn't the most convincing the lie the one closest to the truth? And as River says, "Rule #1, the Doctor lies."

Okay... so far from recent, but did anyone else notice that in the background of "The Long Game" the newscaster announced that the Face of Boe was pregnant? Are we ever going to see his kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.