• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Doctor Who Club v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aegon

That was incredible. I can't remember the last time I felt this happy. I am never going to forget this day.

It told its story so beautifully, while also managing to entertain and reference the past (and future!!! Peter Capaldi!). I'm amazed at how good it was, particularly in terms of pacing. It'll be interesting to see how the Christmas special and Series 8 compare. Moffat really can be the best writer for this programme at times.

There was so much to enjoy. Daleks, Zygons, the interactions between the Doctors, Queen Elizabeth, UNIT, the Moment, Gallifrey and the Tom Baker appearance! I don't quite understand how that worked; I need to watch the scene again. It's a shame he spoiled it in an interview. It seems Moffat's setting up the return of the Time Lords. Just in time for the Doctor to receive more regenerations, perhaps?

Damn Christopher Eccleston. If only we could have seen the completion of the War Doctor's regeneration.

The Day of the Doctor was everything a Doctor Who episode should be and so much more. It's undoubtedly one I'll be rewatching and rewatching for years to come.

-The Eleventh/Rory Williams

Last edited:
Watched it with a group of friends and family while eating pizza.

I don't get the whole After Party scenario, interviewing a bunch of random people about the episode blah blah blah. Still nice to feel the spirit of 50th Who celebration.

That.

Was.

PHENOMENAL.

I knew this would be such a great episode. Hell it wasn't even an episode, it was a movie, judging by it being screened in cinemas and being 80 minutes long.

One of the things I wanted the most in this episode was for it to open with the classic theme. And guess what? IT DID! I was half-expecting to hear the original 1963 theme. I literally orgasmed as I saw the words "I.M FOREMAN" with a policeman walking past it as a tribute to the very first Who episode, An Unearthly Child. As well as Clara being a teacher and someone telling her about her "Doctor". It was just perfect. Would be even better if the opening started with the 1963 opening and end with the current one, but nonetheless my wish was granted so that definitely gives the episode points.

Great to see the Daleks back in action, and more importantly, the Zygons. It seems a lot of Whoveterans wanted to see them back again out of all the monsters that have ever appeared in both the classic and new series, and this was a perfect time to grant that wish. But out of everything, David Tennant coming back for one (last?) hurrah was enough to make this golden. I didn't really get the whole Queen Elizabeth thing though, but it did ring a few bells seeing how back in Series 3 (That was when I was introduced to Doctor Who, mind you) with the episode about the Carrionites, Elizabeth I orders her soldiers to capture the Doctor but he escapes in the TARDIS. Eleven was still good as ever, and Hurt was brilliant. Seeing all three TARDIS variants together was great.

In terms of scenes, the part where Hurt was about to press a button to destroy the Time Lords and the Daleks was a little emotional for me, and the Time War was actually pretty scary. Though I don't get the logic: you destroy Gallifrey so the Daleks get caught in a crossfire and destroy themselves? I don't think Daleks are that stupid. But the highlight was when all 13 Doctors (Seeing that brief Capaldi cameo was exhilirating) went to save Gallifrey from destruction. And, who else than Tom Baker making a suprise appearance towards the ending? It's funny because I did hear someone ask him whether he'll ever play the part again, to which he responded that he doesn't think so. Unlike The Eleventh I avoided all interviews and preview clips because I couldn't really be bothered with them. I was expecting a surprise appearance of some sort, and Tom Baker delivered it well. Great stuff.

Now, there are some things I want to pick at. First off, why didn't Rose come back? Sure Billie Piper came back and that, but why did we get the "Bad Wolf" instead of Rose? It seemed like Piper was playing a completely different character, I thought Billie coming back meant Rose was gonna come back. Disappointing. I would've loved to see Eleven meeting Rose again, seeing how Ten interacted with Clara briefly. Speaking of Clara, she does seem to be kind of affectionate towards Eleven in the ending, I know something's going on there.

Second, why Eccleston? Couldn't you come back just once so we can see the War Doctor regenerate into the Ninth? He seems very determined to put Doctor Who behind him, so they had to use stock footage of Nine during the Save Gallifrey scene. But at least we know that Hurt is between McGann and Eccleston. That doesn't mean I'm gonna do the whole shifting down business. To me, Tennant is still Ten, Smith is still Eleven, and Capaldi will be Twelve. While Hurt does sort of count as the Doctor, I'm still gonna go by the original numbering system. Thankfully these are just fans changing their definitions and it hasn't been officially confirmed and I hope it never will be.

And one more thing, what happened with the Zygons and UNIT back on Earth? Sure we saw the Brigideer's daughter cancel London's destruction, but the Zygons are still there in London. While in my opinion it doesn't really matter, I still think they could've finished it somehow. Along with that, I wish there could have been some more monster action. Sure the episode is about The Doctor and the like, but I wish there were more fighting monsters just for Who sake.

And finally, the Christmas preview. So the Silence are back, eh? The Cybermen too? And it's taking place on none other than Trenzalore. So to make all of this even better, we're getting some form of sequel to the 50th as the special, so the hype isn't over yet.

All in all, this was a fantastic episode. I believe that it lived up to the hype it had enough, and I'll never forget that day. Because right now, as I finish writing this post, it's struck 00:00 here.

Happy 50th, Doctor Who. Here's to the Christmas Special, Peter Capaldi and Season 8.

- Green Blockhead

EDIT:

Woah, just noticed what Serebii did to the site's banner. I love it! Nice going, Joe.

Was just thinking, now that the co-owner posted his thoughts imagine how big elyvorg's will be.

Last edited:

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
I thoroughly enjoyed that. First off, I met up with the oxford doc soc to watch an Adventure in Time and Space, a shortish docudrama about William Hartnell, which was a great way to set the mood, if very sad. (And weird for that one bit. If you've seen it you'll know the bit). Then we went around a christmas market for an hour and met up again to begin the momentous task of getting 30 odd people, most of whom had not been outside the city centre for some time over to an out of town cinema. It felt kind of like a school trip/mini adventure, except everyone was an adult.

The cinema was absolutely packed with people with scarves and fezzes and doctor who t-shirts, so I felt a little inadequate in plain clothes.

Then there was half an hour of movie adverts the episode itself.
I don't know which of these things were also on TV, but we had a short skit of Sontarans teaching us proper movie etiquette. Then 10 and 11 teaching us about 3D and making a joke about polarized 3D glasses working as Zygon detectors. That was pretty good, since I knew enough science to know what they suggested would have a 100% false positive rate.

The episode itself was amazing. I was a little confused how the Doctor and Clara got out of whatever situation they were in at the end of last time, but I loved how sort of low key it was, once we were past the War Doctor and Rose (who I thought shouldn't have been there until I twigged later). It wasn't about the time war and the end of the universe, it was silly little adventures in old england/current london with 10 and 11 and the guy they didn't like tagging along. There was no more consequence than usual, it was nice. I was expecting Hurt to be a complete monster who everyone had to stop, but no, he was a nice friendly guy who had to do something horrible.
Clara was nice as well. I hope Clara sticks around for a while longer, as she's a great character who hasn't yet been given enough time to do anything.
I did notice there was clearly something they had to cut about the girl with the inhaler, since there just seemed to be some missing scenes and the thing with her passing the inhaler to zygon!her looked like it was meant to be significant but then kind of wasn't.
Anyway, once the fun and game were over and we got back to the super weapon, I felt they probably could have just left it there and had the three push it together. It would have been bitter sweet but it would have made a decent ending. When they then decided you know what nah, I was kinda fearing the worst.
However, overall they pulled it off well. We now have the series back on track as a nice hopeful show, instead of all that trenzalore, doctors darkest hour whatever stuff that was wearing a bit thin. I am very much looking forwards to adventures in trying to find gallifrey. I'm also very glad they solved it by combining two plot points that were already there. It didn't feel like a deus ex machina, which would have ruined the whole current series arc, it felt like something that could believably happen.
Of course, all the doctors had to sort of turn up, including 12 (13?) which I TOTALLY CALLED while we were walking around the christmas markets. That was a nice touch. It's a shame 9 couldn't turn up.
I'm really not sure what's going on with not!four. I don't know if that's a future plot point, or that was four, or its something they will never explain. I'm glad they could have him turn up, after he missed the last multi doctor story, but I'm not sure what he was doing there. I was almost expecting 12 to turn up.

Also a couple of things I noticed: 11 is referred to as the one who forgot. I also noticed his serieses very frequently shoe horned in corny references to the number eleven. This actually makes sense, as this means 9 and 10 were willing to grudgingly accept that hurt was still them and thus counted as a doctor, but 11 had decided that he was going to outcast him, and thus repeatedly tried to hammer home he was the eleventh doctor.

The other thing is Rose's inexplicable appearance. I was somewhat disgruntled by this, and by the weapon so powerful it became sentient, which sounds completely moronic. What I now get from this is that the weapon is designed around/contains the power Bad Wolf!Rose had, and the sentience is due to it containing a bit of Rose and a bit of the Tardis as well. Due to the explanation given I imagine that wasn't intended.

I'm a little unsure as to how the events of the end of 10's serieses now fit in with the time line, but I'm informed it sort of checks out.

And then we all went to the pub to theorise and gush about it. Although, while I haven't seen the christmas trailer myself, apparently people aren't impressed with that.

cwertle

Don't Blink!
I don't know where to watch ittttt

I feel so left out

I just finished sherlock
Which is not helping my emotional state
and I guess I'll just watch old doctor who until I can get it. D:

Anybody know when it will be available on amazon instant video to buy?

MooseSmuggler

#DeathToFascists
I don't know where to watch ittttt

I feel so left out

I just finished sherlock
Which is not helping my emotional state
and I guess I'll just watch old doctor who until I can get it. D:

Anybody know when it will be available on amazon instant video to buy?

Tomorrow morning. So don't worry, you don't have much longer. (And don't worry about Sherlock, series 3 premiers soon)

There are a bunch of great Classic Who serials on Netflix, if you have it.

cwertle

Don't Blink!
Tomorrow morning. So don't worry, you don't have much longer. (And don't worry about Sherlock, series 3 premiers soon)

There are a bunch of great Classic Who serials on Netflix, if you have it.

AWESOME.

I have netflix, but I plan to go in order and watch as many of the episodes as I can that aren't lost, as not all are on netflix. I finished the first 4 episodes of the 1st doctor, definitely different.

Just noticed the new banner. Beautifulness

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

#DeathToFascists
I came across this, it pretty clearly answers the question about whether or not we have to alter the numbering system. Thankfully, we don't. Moffat-confirmed info.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
What an emotional, funny, touching and genuinely brilliant way to cap off 50 years of this amazing show.

First things first; while it was great to see Eleven and Clara back in action (it seems like absolute ages since we were in Trenzalore, despite it being only six months), I have to admit, I screamed with sheer delight like a ten-year old fangirl when Ten came riding out of his TARDIS on a horse with his cry of "allons-y!". I had already been eagerly anticipating his appearance after obsessively watching the trailer in the build-up, but seeing him make a fully-fledged return with suit, glasses, amazing hair and all made me happier than I could have ever imagined. It should only be fitting that the 50th anniversary should feature the return of the best portrayal of one of the best TV characters of all time. Fantastic stuff.

Oh, and the episode was pretty good as well, I guess. =p

What really grabbed me is the amount of little in-jokes and references they put in for long-time fans of the series. I laughed way more than I should have at each one, from the classic fez gag used as a means to recognise Eleven, to seeing Ten and Elizabeth smooching enthusiastically at their wedding (*jealous*), where Hurt asks "is there a lot of this in the future?", to which Eleven replies dryly, "it does start to happen, yeah". There were plenty more which I'm sure were present but either forgot about or missed first time round - this'll definitely be one of those episodes which deserves an immediate re-watching soon afterwards.

I initially noted Osgood's (Oswin?) wearing of Four's scarf as just another little nod the makers put in for the fans, but I honestly had no idea that it would actually be a foreshadowing to Baker making an appearance at the end. It was a glorious moment of realisation and recognition when I saw him - that the scarf actually held much more significance than fans would have originally thought.

Story-wise, the episode itself was really strong. While everything seemed to slot into place nicely (for once), the story with the Zygons did fizzle out towards the end, with the resolution of the Time War seeming to totally take over a lot of the second half. I was a little disappointed that the Daleks also only appeared pretty much as a cameo, not really as a great threat, which was my expectation. All in all, it was a actually quite a peculiar episode as it seems that the main antagonist here wasn't a classic alien foe hell-bent on destroying the world, but the Doctor himself - and even that transpired to be not the straightforward "War Doctor", "destroyer of worlds" persona I originally expected of Hurt's Doctor (I'm just going to slip in here that I would have very little objection to Hurt being offered a larger, more significant role as the Doctor in the future as he had some great lines and some really outstanding charecterisation for a one-time part).

It did take me a while to get my head around the solution to the Time War - in fact to be honest I'm not sure I totally understand it now. I'm not sure if the painting of the Time War itself was meant to be the parallel version the three Doctors saved, or if it was just a frozen snapshot of the moment the Doctors saved Gallifrey and the version which was never destroyed was just never shown, given the reference towards the end to going out there and finding it. I'm also struggling to understand just why the Doctors have to forget about this instance and live the rest of his life(s) still under the impression that he did destroy Gallifrey, the Time Lords and the Daleks. Timey-wimey stuff; who knows?

I kinda predicted that while Piper would return, Rose would not. Frankly I'm glad she didn't as the reunion between her and Ten would have taken up an awful lot of screen-time and it would have felt a lot like retreading old ground. We already covered it in The Stolen Earth/Journey's End so there really was no need for her character to return - but I'm happy with the way it was ultimately handled though.

The final criticism I have of the episode is that Eccleston's absence was quite noticeable - I felt especially that the stock footage used felt kind of out of place and was put in just to pay lip service. It was unfortunate also that Hurt's regeneration was cut short - but ultimately I suppose it was out of the BBC's hands. If Eccleston didn't want to return then it's unfortunate but there's not much we can do about that.

All in all, just a truly monumental piece of television history that will surely be remembered for years to come. Cannot wait for next year to see what Capaldi brings to the role and what excitement lies for us in store in the next 50 years.

But in the meantime -
"I don't want to go".

*sobs*

Last edited:

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Just watched the Five-ish Doctors, starring Peter Davidson as Peter Davidson, Colin Baker as Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy as Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann as Paul McGann and the 4th Doctor as Tom Baker. Also Gandalf was in it.

Turns out Five, Six and Seven were in the 50th special after all. In disguise.

Disguised as the disguise for some Zygons in disguise.

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
tomatohater: Eh, I don't think I can let you in with only those couple of lines in your form, especially as your thoughts on the episode in your post also consisted of pretty much just one line. You say there would be more but you'd ramble on for ages - well, do ramble on for ages! That's what this club is for! (Also, please make sure you've read the spoiler rules in the first post, since you didn't really follow them here, although the stuff you mentioned was vague enough that I'll let it slide this time.)

--

Well. What can I say?

First of all, since I was lucky enough to get to see it in a cinema, let me just express how much of an amazing experience it was to be watching the special in a huge room full of people who were equally big fans of the show. There were fezzes and long scarves and pinstriped suits and even three people who'd watched An Unearthly Child the day it first aired! And it was so clear how much everyone appreciated all the references to the past - I'm used to feeling I'm probably the only person in the room who gets most of the continuity nods during an episode, but not here. It was the perfect environment in which to watch such a wonderful tribute to the Doctor's past.

There were also, indeed, a couple of silly non-canon scenes only shown at the cinema. One had Strax instructing us on cinema etiquette, which was as hilarious as Strax always is. (Trying to open a communications channel is a SERIOUS WAR CRIME.) Then there was the Eleventh Doctor, who was expecting to be introducing us to the 100th anniversary special in 12D, and was somewhat unimpressed with our measly three dimensions. "Are there budget cuts?" Just before he turned the 3D on, he was interrupted by the Tenth Doctor, who warned us that that other guy's chin might be a bit dangerous in 3D, so get ready to duck. All in all they were very amusing and another of the reasons I'm happy I got to see it in a cinema.

Then, aaa, that nostalgic opening sequence! (even though it, uh, doesn't actually hold any personal nostalgia for me, it was still lovely to see.) And apparently Clara is a teacher now, in the same school Ian and Barbara used to work in. In fact, if you look at the sign, apparently Ian is still a governor of that school (I gather he was made immortal?), so maybe the Doctor put in a good word for Clara and made sure that, you know, she wouldn't get fired if she unexpectedly didn't turn up to work for a few days or weeks or months. It must have been a couple of years or so since we last saw Clara then, if she's all settled into a new job (presumably this means the Maitlands got another nanny at last)? Also apparently the Doctor gave Clara his motorbike - because, yes, that is the exact same one from The Bells of Saint John.

As for other continuity nods that I as a mostly new Who fan was able to fully appreciate: Malcolm was mentioned! Remember him, from Planet of the Dead? Which was admittedly not a particularly amazing episode, but Malcolm was one of the best things about it and I really liked him. It's great to hear that he's still going strong working for UNIT. And apparently designing robotic ravens, presumably for surveillance or something. Heh.

Then there's how the number that the Doctor phoned the UNIT guy on is still exactly the same number that he had back in The Stolen Earth when all his companions were trying to phone him. (I actually half-recognised it on the guy's phone the first time that scene was shown, leading me to wonder if maybe the Tenth Doctor was phoning him - and, well, I wasn't too far off.) Although the number the Tenth Doctor had back then was actually Martha's mobile phone, rather than the TARDIS herself - I guess when she changed desktops she incorporated the mobile phone into her console and took on that number for herself? Or something.

And, very interestingly if you happen to be me, the Tenth Doctor getting married to Queen Elizabeth I was something that he mentioned during his run. Specifically, it apparently happened in the gap between The Waters of Mars and The End of Time, in which he went on a whole bunch of adventures to run away from the inevitable death that he knew awaited him when he landed on the Ood Sphere. Additionally, he says he's 904 here, but he was 906 in The End of Time - so apparently he was running away for quite a while.

Also the Zygon-detecting device was so reminiscent of the timey-wimey detector and a number of other cobbled-together contraptions that the Tenth Doctor used to use so many of; it was fun to see that side of him again. And then just seeing him and the Eleventh Doctor together - their bickering was priceless. Meanwhile the War Doctor's bemusement at the two of them almost seemed like a representation of classic series fans, making friendly jabs at some of the new series' tendencies, with all the sonic-waving and the kissing and the Doctors appearing younger than previously. It was all very fun.

But yes! Even aside from all the delightful indulgence in references and nods, the actual story was also very well-told and the perfect thing to have the 50th be about. Essentially there were two separate stories, one about the Zygons and the other about the Time War, but I really like the way the two were weaved together, both in having plot elements from one turn out to be vital to solve the other, but also in having the human-Zygon conflict be something of a parallel to the conflict in the Time War itself. The Moment definitely knew exactly which parts of the War Doctor's future would best help him make up his mind - or rather, would help his future selves change their minds. Unlike a few other people here, I'm actually quite happy that Billie Piper wasn't really playing Rose. It's not that I have anything against Rose, but I don't think they could have done anything particularly interesting with her in the context of this episode. However I really like the idea of a sentient weapon of mass destruction that guilt trips the person attempting to use it and ultimately helps him realise there's better way, and I think Billie played that well.

I really like the way 3D was incorporated into the story, too. I'd heard Steven Moffat saying he'd done that, but I didn't quite see how it could be possible as more than a superficial thing before I watched the episode. But the paintings weren't just 3D for the hell of it; their 3D-ness was used as a neat way to take us from the Doctor and Clara in the gallery and zoom right into the War Doctor on Gallifrey. I've always thought 3D media shouldn't be about having things poking out of the screen, it should be about drawing the viewers into what's happening. Those shots of the battle for Arcadia looked absolutely amazing in 3D.

Meanwhile, character-wise, it was interesting to get a look at the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors together and see their different ways of trying to deal with the guilt of what they (thought they) did in the Time War. The Tenth Doctor did always tend to be more openly emotional and not hide the way he felt from himself as much. When he became the Eleventh Doctor, however, it seems he'd grown tired of constantly feeling all that guilt, so he did his best to block it out, even though he never truly forgot and it never really got any less painful in the moments he was forced to bring it up. I don't think he'd actually forgotten how many Gallifreyan children he killed; he just didn't want to think about it. The War Doctor's comment about how the two of them must act like big kids so much because they're ashamed of being grown up was very hard-hitting, and especially appropriate for the Eleventh.

I said in my last post that the War Doctor probably wasn't a bad person at all; I was happy to see I was pretty much right about that. Having the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors come to admit that he was still "the Doctor", and that they were only ever pretending he wasn't to try and block out the pain, was something I'd been very much hoping would happen. It must have been spending time with him in this episode that forced them to remember what it was like to be him and therefore realise they'd been lying to themselves all this time. It's interesting how they didn't even notice that the War Doctor here hadn't actually used the Moment yet (until Clara told them); they don't have that outside perspective to be able to see it in his eyes like she could, and meanwhile they must have seen that face and instantly associated it with the worst thing they ever did while wearing it. Once they found out, it was very brave of the Tenth and Eleventh to actually go back and join the War Doctor in pressing the button. It would have felt like killing all those children all over again, but the gesture served to reassure the War Doctor that it's not that he did it because he's a horrible person not deserving of being called the Doctor; he did it because it had to be done and any other Doctor would have done the same in his position.

Or so they all thought at the time. Like Will-powered Spriter, I would have also felt okay with that being the ending of the episode; it would have been bittersweet but ultimately satisfying. It hadn't even remotely occurred to me, during all these years of the new series, that at some point it might be possible for the Doctor to change time so that Gallifrey never fell in the first place. Even the Doctor himself seemed to feel similarly thanks to how much he'd had to get used to the reality of what he'd done; though he must have always wished he could have found another way, it still didn't occur to him that there actually was one even once the three of them were all together, at first.

It's so very him that it took one of his companions to help him realise this and encourage him to be the Doctoriest Doctor he could possibly be. In some ways I feel like any companion in Clara's position would have done much the same thing she did, but in other ways I think it is appropriate that it was specifically Clara here. Nowadays she just seems to understand her Doctor so very well; she's very perceptive of his feelings even though he's the one that tries the most to hide them. Though Clara wasn't really focused on much this episode what with everything else going on, I do like the glimpses we got of how close she and the Doctor have become - it seems he'll talk to her about nearly anything, and he even instinctively went to hold her hand when the No More painting was giving him traumatic flashbacks, despite that being the kind of thing he'd usually just keep to himself. I feel like, although he usually does a pretty good job of seeming like he's moved on from the Time War, this episode and meeting his War self and everything just dragged him right back into that state of mind and left him confused as to what kind of person he's supposed to be. So yay for Clara reminding him of the promise he made as the Doctor, and though I never thought I'd say this, yay for all those years he spent travelling alone, since they were what he needed to be able to come up with a way to end the Time War without destroying Gallifrey.

All of which led into the absolutely amazing climax with all of the Doctors helping to save his own planet. I bet the Daleks increased their firepower in that moment due to being absolutely terrified at detecting so many of the Doctor all in one place. Even if was just stock footage for most of them, it was great to see every single one of him taking part, all thirteen! I have to mention the moment where we saw the Twelfth Doctor, even though everyone else already has. It was just exhilarating, as if we were looking into the very future itself. I can't wait to get to know the Twelfth Doctor and see for myself his awesomeness which was implied in just those few seconds here. And the music that played during that whole scene was perfect for it - it's a piece called The Majestic Tale (of a Madman in a Box). Isn't it just!

And then right near the end, a certain someone's appearance as the Curator was another really lovely nod to the past, even if I'm not entirely sure what was going on there. It appears to be implying that eventually the Doctor will get so incredibly old that he'll start regenerating into some of his old faces out of sentiment, and retire to become the curator of a museum. Which is all very well and technically possible, but on the other hand his future is supposed to involve dying in battle on Trenzalore. And all the signs point to it being the Eleventh Doctor who dies on Trenzalore as things currently stand, yet since we saw the Twelfth Doctor, a future in which the Eleventh is not the end already exists. So the Doctor appears to currently have at least two, maybe three possible futures, all existing at once? Huh. That makes no sense; hopefully it will eventually.

So now the Doctor's life is hugely changed. For the first time ever, he's actually going to be wandering through time and space with a purpose! I'm really intrigued to see what's ahead, though I'm sure he'll still end up having plenty of ordinary adventures in random places along the way. And if he ever does find Gallifrey, bear in mind that the Time Lords themselves - or some of them, at least - were half the reason he wanted to use the Moment in the first place. The war council we saw here seemed to consist of reasonable Time Lords who just didn't want to be killed by Daleks, but the corrupt High Council we saw in The End of Time was actually mentioned here as also convening somewhere else on Gallifrey at the same time, so those less-friendly Time Lords are still there and will be something the Doctor will have to deal with once he finds his home planet again. If he ever finds it - but I hope he does, eventually. These events will have helped get rid of a lot of his guilt about the Time War, but I still don't think he'll be fully at peace about it until he actually finds Gallifrey and rescues it from the frozen moment it's currently trapped in.

So here's to fifty more years of adventures through time and space!

Everyone in the cinema applauded during the ending credits. I don't know whether we were applauding just the episode, or all 50 years of the show, but it was absolutely lovely to be able to join in the applause either way. It's not exactly something you ever usually do for a TV show, but there's no doubt it's deserved in this case. There in the cinema with all the other fans, I felt more than ever like a part of something so huge and so loved. :3

They didn't actually show the Next Time mini-trailer at the cinema, so for a while last night I actually wasn't sure if the Christmas special would involve Trenzalore, despite what I'd previously assumed. Something about the way the Doctor told his Tenth self about it here seemed like it was in his more distant future. But I'm glad that Trenzalore is going to be at Christmas after all, because I'm sure it's going to be awesome and emotional and timey-wimey and I wouldn't want to wait any longer than I have to for it. And it has Silence and Weeping Angels and all the monsters that have been really strongly associated with the Eleventh Doctor's run; this is going to be a great sendoff for him.

Also, an interesting-to-me thing in the trailer that I doubt anyone else cares about: it looks like the Doctor is wearing the same outfit he did last Christmas. As in, the Victorian outfit he wore because he was broken and companion-less and had basically given up on his own identity. I can't help but wonder why he's wearing it again; I don't think it should be a simple case of "he just wears that outfit at Christmas nowadays". That doesn't feel right to me.

And now... and now I guess we start the countdown to Christmas, huh. I have such mixed feelings about it. I'm sure I'm going to love the Christmas episode itself, and I'm genuinely incredibly excited to get to know the Twelfth Doctor, but equally I'm going to be so sad to see the Eleventh Doctor go. D:

-31 days left-

-elyvorg/Amelia

Last edited:

cwertle

Don't Blink!
Got day of the doctor on instant video! Yes!

Wow, that was great! I fangirl'd so hard when Tennant first came out on the horse. Also, I wonder what 4/the curator meant when he said "And in years to come you might find yourself revisiting a few, but only the old favorites.", and who he was exactly. My theory is that he will eventualy start regenerating into older doctors, as that's what everything points too. Who knows.

Oh, and this was neat.
tumblr_mwqd787DKP1qijoeyo3_500.gif

tumblr_mwqd787DKP1qijoeyo2_500.gif

tumblr_mwqd787DKP1qijoeyo1_500.gif

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Well, that was amazing!

It is kind of sad we didn’t get to see the full transition between Hurt and Eccleston, but it was clear enough what was going on.

The Zygons didn’t seem like the greatest monsters to me (not really creepy, scary, or well discussed in the episode), but there was so much deep plot arc going on, it didn’t matter. -

WPS: I believe the scene where the girl and the Zygon version of herself pass the inhaler, was letting you know that the two of them figured out which one was real, but were keeping quiet about it. I expected this to come into play plot-wise, but it didn’t seem to have… so maybe something did get cut there, later on.

Totally called the painting stasis aspect of the plot… did that with the tribble in Star Trek: Into Darkness as well… Was I supposed to? …But… the fact that he’s going looking for Gallifrey, I guess the painting is just a painting, and the not the whole in stasis planet? Or maybe there’s a lot of such paintings that have to be assembled… lol, that would be a lot of work for the writers.

I feel like the only one who was satisfied with Piper playing The Moment. Like the TARDIS, she essentially exists outside of time, so it seems appropriates she’d confuse the past and future. I never could get into the whole return of Rose, where she was suddenly less, er… ‘I’ll do this even though I know it’s a bad idea’… so her being Bad Wolf/The Moment here was less distracting.

I missed whatever happened to the serebii banner… sniffle.

AtomicStarrHawk

Why do you like Doctor Who?
I love Doctor Who because it is an interest I share with numerous of my internet friends. My New Zealand friend introduced me to the show back in around October 2012, and I have been watching the show on-and-off since. I have difficulty keeping up with a series, but Doctor Who is one of the few interests I have maintained for well over a year. I like Doctor Who because of the unique plots and the imagination and thought that have gone into the entire show.
Who's your favourite Doctor?
My favourite Doctor would have to be the Tenth Doctor. He is able to express his emotions rather clearly, and is true to himself. Plus, his devastation and losses struck my heart the most, especially during the later episodes of Season Two in the newer series.
Desired character title?
I would like to be The Impossible Girl.

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
AtomicStarrHawk: Welcome! Heh, I find it interesting that you like the Tenth Doctor for those reasons you gave, because I really like the Eleventh Doctor for being almost exactly the opposite in those respects. (Not that I don't also like the Tenth Doctor for being the way he is, either. Every Doctor is different, but no less amazing!)

Since the Impossible Girl is Clara, and Clara has already been claimed by someone else, I'm afraid I can't let you have that. Any other title you'd like?

The title, an image and a synopsis for the Christmas special have been revealed! It is called The Time of the Doctor. Image and synopsis here.

‘Orbiting a quiet backwater planet, the massed forces of the universe’s deadliest species gather, drawn to a mysterious message that echoes out to the stars - and amongst them, the Doctor.

Rescuing Clara from a family Christmas dinner, the Time Lord and his best friend must learn what this enigmatic signal means for his own fate and that of the universe.’

I assume this message is about Trenzalore, then? Or perhaps the quiet backwater planet mentioned is Trenzalore itself. Either way, I expect the Doctor will come away from hearing this message knowing that he's going to die. D:

I am amused by the way it says the Doctor "rescues" Clara from a Christmas dinner. I do wonder who she was having it with, though. Her own family pretty much just consists of her and her dad (unless she has a load of aunts and uncles or something); alternatively, maybe she'd be invited to the Maitlands' Christmas dinner even though she's no longer their nanny, which I can imagine might get kind of chaotic. ...Not that it's likely to be particularly important to the episode - I'm just idly wondering because I'm still curious about Clara's home life these days.

Aside from that, though, I really like the fact that, despite presumably discovering this message while on his own, the Doctor specifically goes to pick up Clara to help him investigate it. He probably knows it's going to be hugely dangerous, and part of him must have considered not bringing Clara along to keep her safe. However, assuming the message mentions Trenzalore, he's going to be so frightened of what awaits him there - so it seems like he'll ask Clara to come with him just because he doesn't want to face this alone. This makes a big change from the last couple of times the Doctor knew he had to eventually go somewhere which would seemingly inevitably result in his death. Those times, because he has a time machine and time is not the boss of him, he ran away and had other adventures for a good long while before finally accepting his fate. This time, though, things should be different, because he actually has a companion with him. Clara being there should give him the courage to face up to his death without wasting any time. ...But that's just speculation on my part, and I look forward to seeing how things actually play out.

As for that image, the look on the Doctor's face and the fact he's holding a wrecked Cyberman head gives the impression he's going to go all ruthless and terrifying in the face of his imminent death. I wonder how much that's actually going to be the case. As much I would not complain one bit if it were - it's happened before and was delightful each time - the fact that Clara's going to be there to stop him going too far makes me think it less likely than otherwise.

It occurred to me that simply having seen his grave on Trenzalore isn't the biggest reason why the Doctor knows he therefore has to die there. It's also because, if he doesn't die on Trenzalore, then the timestream thing in his grave wouldn't be there, so the events of The Name of the Doctor wouldn't have happened - and if they hadn't happened then he'd never have met Clara. Which, even if he might perhaps get tempted to bend the rules of time to try and rewrite his death, is the absolute last thing he would ever want as a consequence.

Also, speculating on a more general thing that we don't have any specific evidence to work from yet: I wonder what's going to cause the Doctor to regenerate this time? I'm personally kind of hoping he might end up sacrificing himself for Clara in some way, even though that's the same idea as the last two times he regenerated, because it just fits. The Doctor's companions are always the most important part of his life, and the Eleventh Doctor's run in particular has put so much emphasis and focus on that. It would feel right if he regenerated here because giving his life was the only way to save Clara.

And now, an unnecessary elyvorgramble about how the Doctor's relationship with Clara seems to have developed as of The Day of the Doctor.

The Doctor seems to have started to see Clara as someone he can confide in, with whom he can share things that trouble him. Last series, while Clara did a significant amount of helping the Doctor out when he was vulnerable or afraid, he never really actively asked for her help. But now, that's pretty much what he is doing, as seen when he went to hold her hand upon seeing Gallifrey Falls and being reminded of the Time War. Heck, Clara told the War Doctor that her Doctor is "always" talking about the day he ended the Time War, which seems really uncharacteristic for what he used to be like. Sure, he'd maybe have told her once, probably, just so she knows the truth. But even assuming the Time War's been on his mind a lot more since he bumped into his War self in his timestream, I still wouldn't have imagined him constantly talking about it, even to Clara. Especially not the Eleventh Doctor. But apparently he has been! Then he and Clara have also apparently been casually discussing what he dreams about, which is quite a close, personal subject that I really can't imagine any previous companion just up and asking the Doctor about - or the Doctor giving a straight, honest answer to. It was probably the events of The Name of the Doctor, in which the Doctor was really quite frightened of Trenzalore but Clara was there for him the whole way, and in which Clara sacrificed so much to save him from the most horrible death imaginable, that made the Doctor understand that Clara is always willing to help him and so he doesn't have to deal with everything himself.

Also - I shouldn't consider this relevant because it's not canon, but - there's that scene from Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide that I talked about a couple of posts ago. After regaining his memory, the Doctor tells Clara how not knowing about his past was almost a relief, because of all the death and everything he's lost. And the first time I watched the scene - before seeing The Day of the Doctor - as much as I appreciated that this was how the Doctor probably really would feel upon regaining his lost memory, it struck me as not quite right and artificially-put-on-for-the-documentary's-sake-because-this-isn't-canon-anyway that he'd actually be admitting how he felt to Clara. After all, we all know how this Doctor is very rarely open about his emotions. But now, having seen The Day of the Doctor and the way the Doctor seems to view Clara now, maybe he actually would admit those things to Clara these days!

I mean, yes, that's a non-canon scene so I really can't consider it actual evidence for anything. But I really hope this is actually the case, because I'd love to see more of the Doctor being open about his emotions to Clara. There should likely be a lot of opportunity for this in The Time of the Doctor, what with his impending death and everything, so I definitely hope we'll see some of that there. It would be adorable; the Doctor and Clara's relationship seems to just keep getting ever more so.

-I don't care if it's past midnight; it's the 29th until I've gone to bed and so there's still 26 days left-

-elyvorg/Amelia

Qmaz246

Disney Trainer
I'm one of those guys that likes to attach to a series and watch it (live it) and obsess over it. I like the character developments and stories. Almost every episode gives a moral meaning that The Doctor has to compensate to save the day. I especially like
when The Doctors revealed how horribly they thought of their John Hurt form, and how by the end of the episode, the answer to the problem was the reason the Doctor was called in the first place.
I also find the humor awesomely witty, and by the end of the episode/season, you can go back and be like, "Ah, that's where that comes in." I like how it's all connected.

My Favorite Doctor is the 10th(11th if you've shifted) because he fits the "The Doctor" role very well. He has the crazy (Bananas for parties) but can be dead serious (He's always so apologetic).

Desired character title?
Craig Owens

fitzy909

Just another guy
so a synopsis for the christmas special? This sounds interesting.

First off, i think that this backwater planet IS Trenzalore. I think it is saying that this planet is basically broadcasting a message out for the wor... universe to hear. What message? Doctor Who? of course. i think that the Daleks and cybermen will be there trying to learn about their greatest foe and maybe find out a weakness of his or at least a way to get the upper hand against him. The Silence as we know want to keep the question unanswered for fear of what the answer may do to the universe. Id the Doctor's name really that important and powerful? I guess we'll find out. As for the angels...well who knows. Maybe this event is so large that there is a lot of energy for them to feed on. All I can say is i can't wait to see these four species to face off. I presume that the Cybermen will upgrade to get past the memory wipe caused by the silence and the daleks will also find a way around it. Whatever happens it is stacking up to be great!

Just remebered this...DORIUM: "On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature may speak falsely or fail to give answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never, ever be answered." So when the Doctor is about to regenerate and no creature can lie, Doctor, Daleks, Cybermen, Silence are definitely included in this (not sure about angels) the question will be answered. Who though will be asking said question? certainly not the Silence, but wHO?

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
Qmaz246: Hi, and welcome; I hope you enjoy it in here. Since you like the interconnectedness of the stories, perhaps you could help us speculate on how the Christmas special might be connected to some of the past plot arcs?

I think we're all just going to keep calling the Tenth Doctor the Tenth and so on, despite the shift. The War Doctor is absolutely the Doctor, but it's easier to leave him outside the numbering system, for the sake of convenience.

Also yay for Craig. I like Craig. :3

Some interesting speculation there, fitzy. It got me thinking, myself - while character development is lovely and all, I really should do some more speculation on the actual plottiness of the episode, too. So!

I have a feeling, what with the reappearance of the Silence and the trailer saying Silence Will Fall and such, that this episode is going to hopefully wrap up the big plot arcs of the Eleventh Doctor's run, with the Silence and the Question and everything. There's still a lot of unanswered stuff to do with all of that, so hopefully most of it will finally be resolved here before we move onto the Twelfth Doctor and a brand new arc.

I also don't think, despite Cybermen and Daleks being in the trailer, that the storyline is going to be specifically about either the Cybermen or the Daleks. If Steven Moffat wanted that, he'd make them the centre of the episode, rather than one of many returning monsters. Therefore I imagine they're here on Trenzalore as part of a bigger picture than just their individual goals.

Given that, seeing the Cybermen and Daleks in the trailer reminds me of the fact that both of them were part of the Alliance who trapped the Doctor in the Pandorica back in series 5. The Silence, of course, aren't part of the Alliance, since it was (presumably) them who actually caused the TARDIS explosion that the Alliance was trying to prevent. It's also possible that the Silence may have been responsible for giving the Alliance the idea to band together and trap the Doctor in the first place, what with their post-hypnotic suggestion powers, because they hoped it'd render the Doctor unable to prevent the TARDIS exploding. So there's that. Meanwhile, the Weeping Angels weren't part of the Alliance but also weren't shown to have anything to do with the Silence, either. However, the way Angel Bob taunted the Doctor about the cracks back in Flesh and Stone - "The Doctor in the TARDIS doesn't know!" - is the exact same wording that Prisoner Zero also used to taunt him. And Prisoner Zero was the first one to tell the Doctor that silence would fall. This makes me think that it might just be possible for the Weeping Angels - and Prisoner Zero - to be part of the religion of the Silence.

So, basically I'm getting the feeling - though I'm probably hugely wrong because most of my plot speculation usually is - that this battle on Trenzalore will be something of a war between two factions, the Alliance and the Silence, with Cybermen and Daleks on the former side and Silence-creatures and Weeping Angels on the latter. Presumably this message from Trenzalore is all about the Doctor and the Question and raises the possibility of silence falling (or, uh, not falling; isn't that the worse option for the universe?), so both sides get involved because of their previous investment in this whole conundrum.

However, speaking of Daleks, aren't they supposed to currently not remember who the Doctor is? In fact, isn't most of the universe? Though it is true that the Doctor erased himself kind of carelessly and someone could easily reconstruct him from the gaps he left if they wanted to know badly enough - perhaps that's what's happened. In which case, ouch, that plan of the Doctor's to no longer draw attention to himself barely lasted a series.

Also, yeah, it seems that the last time we saw Trenzalore, even though the Doctor was asked the Question there, that was actually a big fat red herring and not the time spoken of in the prophecy Dorium told us. I guess this does mean that the Doctor's real name still is important? despite that in The Name of the Doctor it turned out his real name wasn't the point and the episode title was actually referring to the name of "the Doctor" that he chose for himself. And I still can't help but wonder what it is about Trenzalore, or about the specific situation he'll find himself in on Trenzalore, that will render him unable to speak falsely or fail to answer. The Eleventh Doctor, throughout his run, has been a goddamn expert at speaking falsely or failing to answer when he doesn't want to tell the truth. What's going to stop him doing it this time, too?

I'm intending to rewatch the majority of series 5 and 6 in the run up to Christmas. This is largely for sentimental reasons, but it'll also be useful to be able to review the plot arcs of those series, see which questions are still left unanswered, and hopefully put together some more speculations from that.

-22 days left-

-elyvorg/Martha

fitzy909

Just another guy
Qmaz246: Hi, and welcome; I hope you enjoy it in here. Since you like the interconnectedness of the stories, perhaps you could help us speculate on how the Christmas special might be connected to some of the past plot arcs?

I think we're all just going to keep calling the Tenth Doctor the Tenth and so on, despite the shift. The War Doctor is absolutely the Doctor, but it's easier to leave him outside the numbering system, for the sake of convenience.

Some interesting speculation there, fitzy. It got me thinking, myself - while character development is lovely and all, I really should do some more speculation on the actual plottiness of the episode, too. So!

I have a feeling, what with the reappearance of the Silence and the trailer saying Silence Will Fall and such, that this episode is going to hopefully wrap up the big plot arcs of the Eleventh Doctor's run, with the Silence and the Question and everything. There's still a lot of unanswered stuff to do with all of that, so hopefully most of it will finally be resolved here before we move onto the Twelfth Doctor and a brand new arc.

I also don't think, despite Cybermen and Daleks being in the trailer, that the storyline is going to be specifically about either the Cybermen or the Daleks. If Steven Moffat wanted that, he'd make them the centre of the episode, rather than one of many returning monsters. Therefore I imagine they're here on Trenzalore as part of a bigger picture than just their individual goals.

Given that, seeing the Cybermen and Daleks in the trailer reminds me of the fact that both of them were part of the Alliance who trapped the Doctor in the Pandorica back in series 5. The Silence, of course, aren't part of the Alliance, since it was (presumably) them who actually caused the TARDIS explosion that the Alliance was trying to prevent. It's also possible that the Silence may have been responsible for giving the Alliance the idea to band together and trap the Doctor in the first place, what with their post-hypnotic suggestion powers, because they hoped it'd render the Doctor unable to prevent the TARDIS exploding. So there's that. Meanwhile, the Weeping Angels weren't part of the Alliance but also weren't shown to have anything to do with the Silence, either. However, the way Angel Bob taunted the Doctor about the cracks back in Flesh and Stone - "The Doctor in the TARDIS doesn't know!" - is the exact same wording that Prisoner Zero also used to taunt him. And Prisoner Zero was the first one to tell the Doctor that silence would fall. This makes me think that it might just be possible for the Weeping Angels - and Prisoner Zero - to be part of the religion of the Silence.

So, basically I'm getting the feeling - though I'm probably hugely wrong because most of my plot speculation usually is - that this battle on Trenzalore will be something of a war between two factions, the Alliance and the Silence, with Cybermen and Daleks on the former side and Silence-creatures and Weeping Angels on the latter. Presumably this message from Trenzalore is all about the Doctor and the Question and raises the possibility of silence falling (or, uh, not falling; isn't that the worse option for the universe?), so both sides get involved because of their previous investment in this whole conundrum.

However, speaking of Daleks, aren't they supposed to currently not remember who the Doctor is? In fact, isn't most of the universe? Though it is true that the Doctor erased himself kind of carelessly and someone could easily reconstruct him from the gaps he left if they wanted to know badly enough - perhaps that's what's happened. In which case, ouch, that plan of the Doctor's to no longer draw attention to himself barely lasted a series.

Also, yeah, it seems that the last time we saw Trenzalore, even though the Doctor was asked the Question there, that was actually a big fat red herring and not the time spoken of in the prophecy Dorium told us. I guess this does mean that the Doctor's real name still is important? despite that in The Name of the Doctor it turned out his real name wasn't the point and the episode title was actually referring to the name of "the Doctor" that he chose for himself. And I still can't help but wonder what it is about Trenzalore, or about the specific situation he'll find himself in on Trenzalore, that will render him unable to speak falsely or fail to answer. The Eleventh Doctor, throughout his run, has been a goddamn expert at speaking falsely or failing to answer when he doesn't want to tell the truth. What's going to stop him doing it this time, too?

I'm intending to rewatch the majority of series 5 and 6 in the run up to Christmas. This is largely for sentimental reasons, but it'll also be useful to be able to review the plot arcs of those series, see which questions are still left unanswered, and hopefully put together some more speculations from that.

-22 days left-

-elyvorg/Martha

I was thinking about the fact that the Doctor wiped all memories of him and that got me thinking. This 'mysterious message' that echoes out, could that message be Doctor Who? If so these deadly species that have been drawn there may be searching for the answer, because they have heard of a Doctor, but still do not understand what or who he is. The Silence don't want the question to be answered, but for the Cybermen or the Daleks, who we know don't remember the Doctor, this is a chance to find out who this mysterious foe is. This is just a theory though.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
It's completely, completely unlike anything else on television. For one, I adore SiFi- and Doctor Who is an incredible series. What makes it so incredible is the characters and general idea. I personally have not seen any character I dislike in this series. They are all awesome. The plot of each episode is always limitless, since it could occur anywhere in time and space. The monsters rule (I'm looking at you, Weeping Angels) and the Doctor always seems to have a different personality. The tenth, while very knowledgeable, can be a bit funny and random (Timey Wimey...) While the 11th gives an impression as if he is unsure on what to do at times. Overall, it's just brilliant.

The Tenth. He is very smart, yet is extremely funny. Timey Wimey, the Easter Egg DVDs, so many funny moments.

Desired character title?
River Song. I now refer to the episode "The time of Angels"

The way she argues with the Doctor is funny, how she mocks his driving skills, causing the funny line "Blue Boringers!" And her diary which always makes me laugh due to it being the ultimate spoiler. Oh, and pretty smart too, shown when she talks to the Doctor about the book on the Angels. She was good in the Silence of the Library too.

-Minedreigon/River Song

"Spoilers!"

Qmaz246

Disney Trainer

-22 days left-

-elyvorg/Martha

It seems that the Christmas episode will either answer the arc wide question retaining the Silenc e, or just extend it further. This type of answer can't just be "My name......is Jeff" but has to have some kind of plot that leads to The Doctor, almost presumably, having no choice to answer. But what about that "Silence will fall" line. Maybe the Silence aren't just an alien threat, but a secret society to make sure nobody finds out The Doctor's name! This is all speculation (And if I forgot any major plots that nullify my speculation, just tell me)

All in all though, this Chrismas special is going to be awesome.

~Craig Owens

Status
Not open for further replies.