• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Doctor Who Club v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Joker.: Eh... could you possibly add just a little bit more to your joining form before I let you join? You're almost there.

When Karen appeared on The One Show last night, they showed a couple of short preview clips for Asylum of the Daleks! Which admittedly didn't really tell us anything plot-wise that we hadn't already seen in trailers, but still. One of them in particular I rather enjoyed, as it reminded me just how much the Doctor is terrified of the Daleks but is also really good at not letting it show. Oh, how I love a Dalek episode. And I get the feeling that this one in particular is going to become one of my favourite Dalek episodes. =D Not long to wait now!

~less than four hours!~

-elyvorg/Amelia

I put some more in.

Also I was there :D and I too loved the trailers, I'm interested about what "make them remember you" means.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
(I'm back!)

I fear its all got a bit silly.

Not the best opener, and it doesn't help that in the gap I've forgotten most of what happened last series and I can't ever take the daleks seriously ever.

It had its moments, but it wasn't too impressive overall.

Also, EGGS.

Edit: OK, I've just been reading the last page, it appears I've missed something. What's this "Pond Life" thing?

Edit2: Wait, this is a new version of the club? Do I have to rejoin from last time? Can I just copy/paste my joining reasons from last time?

Last edited:

Aegon

Well, I absolutely loved that. So many emotions; my thoughts are incoherent after it. I just...

HOW THE HELL DID THEY KEEP THAT UNDER WRAPS?! Holy shet. Jenna-Louise Coleman!!! I was completely taken aback. She was fantastic. I was like, Why isn't she the companion already? As much as I'll miss Amy and Rory (Ohh, Amy. Poor, poor Amy.), I cannot wait for JLC to appear again. Hmm... Will this character tie in to Clara? I don't see how, and it wouldn't matter too much, considering the Doctor never saw Oswin. My mind is all over the place after that. Sorry. It was so good. I felt a myriad of emotions during it. The Daleks were truly scary at last.

Speaking of Daleks... Oh my god Moffat undid the past fifty years of Dalek-Doctor conflict. In a way. The Daleks don't know who the Doctor is. That is massive.

Those are just my immediate... things ("thoughts" is too refined for the above rubbish).

Doctor Who is back!

-The Eleventh/Rory Williams

Oh, and WPS, you'll have to fill out the form again to rejoin.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Fiiine. I even rewrote it.

Why do you like Doctor Who?
It's just cool. The thing about Doctor Who is its so many different things. It's time travel medium allows it to try out as many different genres as it likes, so it never gets old, and its got something for everyone. It has a nice deep canon if you want, but you rarely need to know the extended canon to enjoy the current episodes. Its something that's uniquely British and it's something I can watch with anyone.

I don't really keep up with it when its not on telly, hence why I'm so out the loop now. I used to be a more devoted fan but I've drifted away a bit. I tend to get my fill of Time Travel Shenanigans somewhere else at the moment. However, while its on I want to keep up and read theories and discuss mysteries and all that jazz,

Who's your favourite Doctor?
David Tennant. I still haven't seen much of the classics (I'm a bad persooooonn.....), but out of the three I'm aquainted with, David's my favourite. He's the better actor, definitely, although I think Matt Smith had better written episodes.

Desired character title?
Can I have Dalek Fred? (you know, the one Dalek that actually manages to shoot the doctor, back in the end of series 4)

Edit: Ooh, another thing from the recent episode. Did anyone notice any chains that were actually successful in their intended purpose of chaining things to other things?

Last edited:

Becoming

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
Hey! Could I change my character from Weeping Angel to Oswin Oswald? I WANT THIS TITLE PLEASE.

Now onto Asylum of the Daleks. Oh yeah, I found a livestream (and the person is doing it for the rest of the series). Anyways:

So Amy and Rory were gonna (or did?) get divorced? Aw. It was awesome to see the doctor tricking them into getting back together (although his intentions were good)/. I kinda wonder if Rory actually meant what he said about 2000 years outside the box, or if he was just saying it to convince Amy to take his wrist things. And it was heartbreaking to hear that Amy can't have kids anymore . . . stupid silence, doing that to her. I really hope she does get to have kids someday . . .

So Oswin. She's a dalek . . . I wonder if her appearance in the earlier part of the series will be her from an earlier point in her timeline (because that would be a nice thing for the doctor to do). But it would be kinda or a River Song situation where the doctor knows she's gonna die. I would like the dynamic of having her after that point in her timeline (so she survived the explosion). And the doctor never actually saw human Oswin, did he? For all he knows he could end up travelling with her and not knowing who she was lol. Part of me thinks that the doctor will do something to give Oswin a second chance at being human . . . but then she'd struggle with her dalek emotions (or lack thereof).

And the Daleks don't know who the doctor is anymore? I suppose that would certainly help with the doctor keeping it a secret that he's still alive. The daleks could blab to someone! But seriously, I never expected for that to happen.

My only complant about this episode is that it answered hardly any questions (the silence, anyone?), instead just giving us even more questions to ask!

*shakes fist* MOFFAT!

Oh and next week's episode looks cool :)

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Well, that was a pretty good episode, I have to say; usually Dalek episodes are kind of low on the totem pole for me, so this was refreshing. I was a little bit confused at first as we were kind of thrown right into the thick of it, but it definitely got a lot better from there. The whole atmosphere of the episode was pretty creepy and disquieting, which was good.

My favourite part was definitely the scene between Rory and Amy. It was just so sad and heartwarming at the same time, and aww... I hadn't thought about the aftereffects the business from Demon's Run might have had on Amy. That's sad. And also, the idea that Rory thinks that Amy doesn't love him as much as he does her made me 'aww'. It was an overall emotional scene. I also find it awesome how the Doctor ships them.

The stuff with Oswin was also very sad and poignant. I liked her cheery disposition and interactions with Rory and the Doctor. So yeah, I quite liked it. It was a good start to the series. And I'm sure it will only get better.

Because next week is "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship! 8D!"

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
Will-powered Spriter: Hey, welcome back! I'm... kind of iffy about letting you have "Dalek Fred", though, because I'm restricting the custom-ness of the titles to titles that have been used for the character in-universe. Otherwise people could go mad with silly fan nicknames that are not remotely what the character is ever actually called. I don't mind the idea of letting you be that particular Dalek, but since it isn't actually called "Fred", you'd have to be something like "That one Dalek that shoots the Doctor in The Stolen Earth". Which is... kind of long-winded. Could you possibly choose something else, just to make this simpler for me? ^^;

Pond Life was a mini-series of prequels that showed throughout last week and gave us a sense of how Amy and Rory's lives have been since Christmas with the Doctor constantly popping in and stuff. They won't have as much of an impact as they originally did now that you've seen Asylum of the Daleks, but they're still worth finding and watching if you like the Doctor, Amy and Rory's relationship.

kjt: Okay, sure, you can have that character! =D

Well. I'd always kind of assumed that this series wouldn't have any big, mindblowing plot twisty stuff. It seemed like every episode, while having a mad and fun premise, would be fairly self-contained and not really able to have much connection to a larger plot arc.

But this is Steven Moffat we're talking about. Who the hell did I think I was kidding? =D

Like everyone else, I was certainly not expecting to see that young woman any time before Christmas. That rather blew my mind. Then we got to know Oswin as a character, and she's awesome! I love how quick and clever and spunky she is. The truth about her situation is horrible and tragic and made me like her even more out of sympathy; the way she retreated into an imaginary world to convince herself she was still human because she couldn't bear the truth is the kind of psychological thing I really enjoy. Plus, she and the Doctor were totally made for each other - she only joined the Alaska so she could see the universe! (That and she apparently likes hammocks! 8D) They're going to be so much fun together when she's his companion in the future. Two insufferable geniuses playing off each other, except one's street-smart and the other's a total dork. x3

But how on earth is this going to work, though, seriously? It can't be that the Doctor meets her earlier in her timeline, because then she'd have recognised him here. She's going to have to somehow A, no longer be a Dalek, and B, no longer have been blown up. Or the Doctor will meet someone else living somewhere else in the universe who just happens to look and sound exactly the same as her, but that cannot just be a coincidence or there'd have been no point casting Jenna to play Oswin here. And although the Doctor never saw Oswin's face, he definitely should recognise her voice and speech pattern when he encounters her again. So that'll be very interesting to see when Christmas comes around. (I no longer want to know anything about the character Jenna-Louise Coleman has been seen playing for the second half of the series, at least until it's close to Christmas and stuff starts being officially released. I'd assumed minor details like her name and time period would be unimportant and not spoilerish. I was wrong.)

Also wonderfully unexpected about this episode is that the Daleks now no longer know the Doctor exists! I was beginning to assume that the whole arc with the Doctor trying to lie low after his faked death wouldn't be a very big part of this half series, just because it didn't get any mention in preview material I'd seen, and that coupled with the fact that the Daleks would be kidnapping the Doctor to do their dirty work for them made it all seem like the whole pretending-to-be-dead thing would just sort of fizzle out. Indeed, in that first scene on Skaro (which incidentally looked amazing), the Doctor seemed to really hate the fact that not everyone believes he's dead and that people are still talking about him in legends and stories. We also got confirmation - as if it needed confirming - that the Daleks are yet another one of the species who've grown stronger and done terrible things all because of their fear of the Doctor, just like was made clear for many others back in A Good Man Goes to War. Therefore it's really great that the Daleks' knowledge of the Doctor has been erased, because now the problem is slowly beginning to be fixed. The Doctor didn't even actually do it deliberately here - it was all because he just happened to find himself cornered and terrified and begging Oswin to help him, and, because she's awesome, she had a much better way of saving him than just opening the door. But the Doctor seems to have definitely taken that idea to heart, so now hopefully he'll try and find ways of erasing himself from the knowledge of everyone else in the universe, too. Or maybe only the half of the universe that fears him; that would be nice. We'll see. Either way, he sounded so gleeful with his "Doctor who?"-ing in the TARDIS at the end. =D

Speaking of which... I wonder when Trenzalore is going to become relevant to the story again. It's still up in the air who will actually ask the Question there, but if the Doctor's going to slowly get the whole universe asking it in general, well, maybe this might have something to do with why someone decides to ask it at Trenzalore. I assume that'll happen at least in the second half of this series, though, just because it doesn't seem to fit anywhere in these remaining four episodes. I was initially kind of meh about the fact that it would presumably be not Amy and Rory but, ahem, "the new companion" alongside the Doctor for this, because I assumed she wouldn't have much of a link to this whole plotline of the Silence and the Question and the Doctor's reputation. However, since Oswin was the one who started off the Doctor's mass-erasure, I guess she could end up being more connected to this plot that I originally thought.

Meanwhile, Amy and Rory! That was another aspect of this episode which kept me desperate to see more because I really wanted to find out what on earth was going on. I honestly couldn't think of any kind of explanation for why they'd broken up and why Amy was acting the way she was, and I was really worried that whatever explanation we eventually got wouldn't satisfy me and would just seem like it was there for the sake of creating drama. I shouldn't have been worried at all. As soon as Amy started breaking down and telling Rory why, I just got it and understood her completely. Rory loves her so much and has sacrificed so much for her that she doesn't think she deserves him, and so she pushed him away because she thinks someone as lovely and sweet as him deserves someone better than her. Oh, Amy. D: She really shouldn't hate herself like this, especially not for being unable to have children, because it's not as if that's remotely her fault (a little voice in the back of my head likes to pipe up here that if it's anyone's fault it's slightly the Doctor's, but shush; I really don't imagine Amy would blame him). It says so much about how broken Amy is that she didn't even realise that of course Rory would rather spend his life with her and not have kids than spend his life with someone else but have kids. And the reason she'd been acting so painfully cynical and biting throughout the episode was because she loves Rory so much that it utterly broke her heart to push him away, and this surface attitude was her way of covering it up and trying to cope. Amyyyy. Rory always thought that he loved her more than she loved him, but he's wrong. Amy may not show it very well or very often, but she really does love him just as much, if not even more. Oh, those two. This was such a wonderful insight into their relationship. :3

And it's all thanks to the Doctor that they realised this. Rule 1 isn't always a bad thing! Amy and Rory would have never have got talking about the extent to which each of them loves the other if the Doctor hadn't let them continue to think that Amy was unprotected from the Dalek nanogenes. I love that as soon as they they work it out, the Doctor chooses that moment to walk past on a screen in the room and nonchalantly straighten his bow tie in front of the camera. Whoever said that fixing their marriage wouldn't be as easy as fixing his bow tie? Aaaa the Doctor is amazing. =D The Doctor has saved Amy and Rory's relationship multiple times before - but each time it was never anything he himself said, but merely the fact that one or both of them were in mortal danger thanks to him that led to them realising how much they loved each other. I think the Doctor was fully aware of this fact himself this time and was always sort of planning this from the moment Amy lost her wristband, otherwise he might as well have just given her his straight away.

That said, even though Amy being in danger from the nanogenes was probably part of the Doctor's plan, that didn't stop him from being so adorably concerned about her the whole time it was messing with her mind. He was adorably concerned about her in general, for that matter; aside from being terrified of the Daleks (have I mentioned how I love that scene in "intensive care"? 8D), throughout this episode the Doctor was also terrified of losing Amy and Rory through one of a number of horrible fates when really they should just have been living happily at home and not been dragged into this at all. There's an interesting contrast between the Doctor's rather idealised view of Amy and Rory's normal human home life as being happy and fine so long as he doesn't interfere and screw things up, and the actuality of how messed up it's been recently which Amy sees as the normal human stuff that just happens when the Doctor's not there.

All in all, the Doctor-Amy dynamic had a really interesting spin on it this episode. Even though Rory was the cause of Amy's cynical attitude, it meant that she was also being very blunt with pointing out exactly what was going on in the Doctor's head, which was quite interesting to see. Bluntness aside, though, it's still sweet how she just knows him so incredibly well now, no small part of which is probably thanks to the developments in The God Complex. Her demanding he told her what the nanogenes would do to her and saying she'd know if he lied definitely struck me as something that wouldn't have happened that way if she still idolised him like she used to. In fairness to the Doctor, he really does seem to be improving on the keeping-terrible-truths-from-her front; he told her the truth four times, never once thinking each time Amy forgot and asked him again that this time he should just lie to save her the pain of knowing. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this post-God-Complex dynamic between them in a slightly less horribly dangerous situation where Amy is being more her normal self. That should also be adorable.

In fact, since this ended with the Doctor dropping Amy and Rory off back at home, I'm also interested in seeing how things develop from this with relation to how the Doctor was at the end of Pond Life. Surely these events will have led him to realise that actually the Ponds aren't always fine without him and that they do need him sometimes, so hopefully he'll start popping round again and resume his habit of leaving them frequent answerphone messages (actually leaving them and not just deleting them straight away)? :3 ...I think what I apparently want here is another series of Pond Life going throughout this week, but alas. xP Still, there should be some indication of how this kind of thing has been at the beginning of next week's episode. And speaking of the Doctor's behaviour at the end of Pond Life: pushing away the people you love because you hate yourself and believe they're better off without you is now something that both Amy and the Doctor have been doing recently. It would be adorable if they ended up having a heartfelt chat about this kind of thing at some point (even though there is absolutely no indication that such a thing will ever necessarily happen). I don't think the Doctor is even aware of exactly why Amy and Rory had issues right now - he'll just be glad that they ended up fixed - but if he ever realised how much Amy hated herself then I'm sure he'd want to insist to her that she of all people should not be feeling that way about herself, and it would be heartmelting.

And even aside from all the long-winded rambling in the spoiler that this episode allowed me to do, it was also awesome just because it had that usual Moffaty cocktail of delightful clever humour and seriously creepy concepts and utterly awesome moments. Yes. :3

Heck yeah, dinosaurs! This episode looks utterly, utterly mad, so much so that at the moment I can't figure out much about what's going on in order to form any kind of coherent speculation. But yes.

Seems like Rory's dad somehow ended up on the spaceship by accident. I'll be looking forward to finding out exactly how that happened.

There's also a different trailer for the next episode here. (UK-only link because I'm lazy; it'll probably be on Youtube somewhere, though.)

Yay, Doctor Who is happening! My life is currently as complete as it will ever feel. :3

-elyvorg/Amelia

Last edited:
I only caught the last twenty minutes of last night's episode. I didn't realise it was September already.

Crasher

Hello, remember me?

Why do you like Doctor Who?
Doctor Who is a completely unique British institution. I think it is one of the defining pieces of British culture, a wonderful blend of humour, sci-fi, intelligence, and madness. I love how it has such a rich canon to it, but each episode is easily accessible to a non-fan. By definition, this is a show that will always remain contemporary, constantly re-inventing itself by bringing in a whole new protagonist (in a sense) that is fascinatingly new while retaining the rich history and mystique of his predecessors. I'm sure this formula plays a part in the longevity of the show.

Who's your favourite Doctor?
Up until recently, I would have said Ten. But now I'm reconsidering my position. Ten was my first Doctor so I'm sure I look back on him with nostalgia, but when I go back and watch him I still love that Doctor. But Eleven is so fantastic. I love the alien-ness of Eleven in contrast to Ten's more human traits. I think I prefer the dynamic between Eleven and his companions (bow-ties are cool) that comes from his alien-ness (I love how that's a word in the spell-checker). And let's not forget the brilliant Nine, but he comes a close third. I'll say Ten, but I may reconsider my opinion when the end of Eleven comes around.

Desired character title?
I believe I was either Wilf or Davros in the last club. Hmm... I'll go with Wilfred Mott for now, but I feel I'll change it by the end of this series.

I'll comment on Asylum of the Daleks once (I assume) I'm accepted.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Well, what can I say, not going to go into so much detail and all that, but I thought it was brilliant, I think it may have knocked Smith and Jones from my favourite series opener. And let's just say, Jack, Amy, Rory and Sarah Jane have all been knocked down a place on my favourite list to make place for a certain someone ;). But she's hasn't knocked Martha out of top spot.

Man, I'm off to watch it again for the 4th time.

KingMinun/Martha Jones

Last edited:

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
The Joker.: Whoops, sorry! I totally forgot about you in my previous post! ^^; Now that you've added more, you're accepted. Welcome!

SoulSilverMstr11: Well, if you only saw the second half of the episode, then it's always on iPlayer if you wanted to see the rest that you missed (assuming you're in the UK, that is). Also, since this is a new version of the club, could you rejoin using the joining form, please? I'll accept the same one you used to join the old club if you want, but since that'll take some digging up it'll probably be easier to just rewrite from scratch.

Crasher: Of course I remember you! Welcome back. It's great to see a bunch of old faces coming out of the woodwork now that the series has properly begun. I look forward to your thoughts on the Asylum, because from what I remember you always have quite a bit to say about episodes. :3

I find it kind of odd that you'd only reconsider your opinion on the Eleventh Doctor once his run is over. It just seems a bit of a waste to potentially decide that he's your favourite Doctor only once you're never going to be seeing anything new from him again. Surely it's the most fun when your favourite Doctor happens to be the current one, and so you shouldn't deny yourself the possibility of having that? At least, that's what I think, but of course my opinion is not your opinion so ignore me if you think I'm talking rubbish. :x

KingMinun, I might be misinterpreting what you're saying so if I am then never mind, but don't ever feel like you can't go into too much detail on an episode because of spoilers - that's what spoiler tags are for, after all.

Also,
She's not a companion yet. =P

-elyvorg/Amelia

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Will-powered Spriter: Hey, welcome back! I'm... kind of iffy about letting you have "Dalek Fred", though, because I'm restricting the custom-ness of the titles to titles that have been used for the character in-universe. Otherwise people could go mad with silly fan nicknames that are not remotely what the character is ever actually called. I don't mind the idea of letting you be that particular Dalek, but since it isn't actually called "Fred", you'd have to be something like "That one Dalek that shoots the Doctor in The Stolen Earth". Which is... kind of long-winded. Could you possibly choose something else, just to make this simpler for me? ^^;

Ah well, if I can't have that title I'll just go without until one turns up that I'd like.

I'm quite looking forward to next weeks episode. Partly because the idea is so insanely awesome, partly because the concept it awfully close to another story I've read from something else. There's a few subtle differences between them, so they should end up completely different, but I can tell I'm going to have a lot of fun watching it anyway.

Crasher

elyvorg: I understand what you mean, but my point is that I haven't seen everything Eleven has to offer yet (don't get me wrong, he's fantastic and I'm sure he'll continue to be), and I will be able to make my fully informed decision when I've watched both the full Ten era and the full Eleven era. Although I agree that it's more fun to have your favourite Doctor be the current one, I think it's more logical to make a decision based on the full era instead of just what I've seen so far.

So. Daleks.

I thought this was a really strong opener for the series. I feel the Daleks have truly returned after the comparatively lacklustre Victory of the Daleks. I don't know how much that has to do with the side-lining of the 'Power Ranger' Daleks, but I do wonder why they have decided to go for a Parliament and Prime Minister – it seems very un-Dalek-like (I love making new words) to make the change from an autocrat like the Emperor or the Supreme Dalek to a (I assume) democratically elected leader. I caught a glimpse of the Prime Minister when he was still sihloutted and actually thought it might be Davros. Heh. Anyway, I wish some steps would have been made to address some continuity issues, such as why the golden Daleks still exist (and in such numbers!), as well as why the Power Rangers are working with them instead of proclaiming them impure. Perhaps the Power Rangers made them? I suppose that would solve why they are working with each other, but why not just build more Power Rangers as they are clearly more powerful? I'd like some backstory as to how the Daleks managed to become this powerful again and where they are on the time line.

Speaking of Daleks, I enjoyed seeing the classic Daleks in the Asylum. Unfortunately most were difficult to identify as classic because of the dust, as well as all of the Daleks having blue 'eyes'. The only truly noticable classic, I think, was the one Amy thought was a ballerina, and I only noticed that because I was re-watching and so wasn't looking where I was supposed to be. I took paticular pleasure in the presence of the Special Weapons Dalek; good to know there were more than one! It's a shame it was only a prop (from the Doctor Who experience, I believe) or it would have moved around and been vaugely threatening.

Oswin! What an odd name. I did not see that coming at all. I must compliment everyone involved at the press screenings for keeping it a secret; I would have thought that the tabloids would have ended up reporting it eventually, but apparently not. Anyway, Oswin. She was fantastic. I read that the new companion 'makes the Doctor have to work a little harder to impress' (or something like that) and she certainly fits the bill. I enjoy characters intellectually on par with the Doctor; I believe her when she says that she is a genius, but I think her hacking ability (at least in terms of the Dalek systems) comes from the fact that she is a Dalek, and she is in the system. The twist was excellent and sad. There is something I noticed, either something very clever or a plot hole: at the start the Daleks were banging on the door, trying to get to her, but later she says that the intensive care Daleks never wake up for anything. Either that shows that she is lying to herself or a plot hole. I suppose it could be Daleks from somewhere else in the Asylum, but I prefer to think it was a clever Moffat-y way of teasing us that something's not quite right. I'm thinking that either: 1) the Doctor somehow discovers a relative (be it immediate family, ancestor or descendant) and takes them along (this does have precedent, by the way: Freema Agyeman played someone in Army of Ghosts. In one of the books Martha says she was her cousin. I concede, though, that Adeola was a much smaller part than Oswin) or b) the Doctor rescues the Dalek and somehow gets her out of it. Perhaps he transfers her consciousness over to a dead ancestor, or something. I would prefer the latter but I can only assume that the former will be done. I'm sure Moffat has something up his sleeve.

Speaking of Moffat, I love that, yet again, a simple throw-away line at the beginning of the story was so important to the resolution of the plot. Nobody else cared (Rory especially so) about the milk and it wasn't important when it was mentioned again, so naturally I just forgot about it and got caught up in the story. I must stop falling for it.

I liked the return to the claustrophobic corridors that seemed to typify old Who; it made the Daleks seem much more threatening and, dare I say it, scary. Even with only their sucker-things, they still utterly terrified the Doctor (excellently acted by Matt Smith as always). The Puppet Daleks were interesting, and the scene where we saw the dead Alaska crew member waving Amy's arm-band at the camera was scary (mostly because it was in greyscale; you'd think that by the time space travel came about we'd have completely gotten rid of that).

I don't know how I feel about the Daleks forgetting about the Doctor. It has certainly dispelled my belief that the Daleks had individual memory banks; apparently they didn't even recognise him from before. It's an interesting concept and I suppose related to the new apparent story-arc of 'the Doctor making everybody forget him', but I'm not sure how I feel about so much of that history down the drain. A large part of Doctor Who, I feel, is the Daleks and their hatred of the Doctor. However, I'm perfectly happy to see where this goes and I trust that Moffat knows what he's doing. Also, does anybody else imagine the Doctor just randomly asking the question to himself from time to time, sort of smug that only he (as far as we know) knows the answer?

I'm glad Amy and Rory are back together again (I think the acting in that scene was wonderful, by them both), but I did find the reason they split up a tad unbelievable. I mean, surely instead of throwing Rory out she could have at least told him the reason so she learns of his feelings on the matter, and then see what happens. Then, instead of divorcing on the grounds of 'he might not want to stay with me because I can't give him kids' they would either be divorcing on the grounds of 'he's leaving me so he can have kids' or they would stay together. It's the choice between definitely divorcing and possibly divorcing. However, I understand that her judgement was probably clouded by the emotion from her percieved 'failure'. Also, I don't recall them at Demon's Run doing anything to Amy; I thought they were just experimenting with Melody.

And finally, I'd just like to take a moment to remember some of the comedy in this episode. Rory asking what colour the insane Daleks were because there were no good questions left was great. The egg exchange managed to be funny and creepy, as we all knew what was about to happen. I liked that the Doctor called the Dalek about to blow up 'dear', although perhaps that doesn't count as comedy. Flirty Oswin was a joy to watch, although I think she referenced the chin once too often. I did enjoy the fencing joke, though. Rory's celebration at the end of the episode was great, too. And remember, never be fair to a Dalek when they're throwing you at a planet!

Did you know that the Dalek Parliament idea was originally RTD's, to be used in The End of Time, but he abandoned it when he learned the Moff was using Daleks for Victory of the Daleks?

Looks interesting. I can't say I'm a fan of the name of the episode but it looks fun. Is anybody else as innapropriately excited as I am that DI Lestrade, Arthur Weasley and Mr. Filch are appearing in the same episode?

I enjoyed Pond Life. Did anybody catch the reference to Amy's question in the unreleased scene that bridged the Eleventh Hour and the Beast Below? She asked him if the light bulb on the TARDIS needs changing and he didn't answer. At the start of Part 5, he was changing it.

Last edited:

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
elyvorg: I understand what you mean, but my point is that I haven't seen everything Eleven has to offer yet (don't get me wrong, he's fantastic and I'm sure he'll continue to be), and I will be able to make my fully informed decision when I've watched both the full Ten era and the full Eleven era. Although I agree that it's more fun to have your favourite Doctor be the current one, I think it's more logical to make a decision based on the full era instead of just what I've seen so far.

I understand where you're coming from. I think reasons like this are probably why I've personally decided to stop trying to compare individual Doctors and just declared my favourite Doctor to be "All of them! but especially the one I'm currently watching". xP

I must compliment everyone involved at the press screenings for keeping it a secret; I would have thought that the tabloids would have ended up reporting it eventually, but apparently not.
I know! It's so awesome that this happened. Last year when they did advance screenings for The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon, I gather a lot of the fans who were there posted spoilers everywhere and loads of people ruined it for themselves. This time, apparently literally not one person blabbed the big secret. That's pretty impressive.

I believe her when she says that she is a genius, but I think her hacking ability (at least in terms of the Dalek systems) comes from the fact that she is a Dalek, and she is in the system.
Yeah, this was my assessment of her abilities, too. She could hack Dalek technology that even the Doctor never could, and I don't believe any human, no matter how much of a genius, would ever normally be able to outclass the Doctor at that.

There is something I noticed, either something very clever or a plot hole: at the start the Daleks were banging on the door, trying to get to her, but later she says that the intensive care Daleks never wake up for anything. Either that shows that she is lying to herself or a plot hole. I suppose it could be Daleks from somewhere else in the Asylum, but I prefer to think it was a clever Moffat-y way of teasing us that something's not quite right.
I think this was Oswin lying to herself, in a way - but not about the intensive care Daleks, which I believe really didn't ever move for anyone but the Doctor. On my second watch, when I knew what she really was, the Daleks banging on Oswin's door seemed to be like a representation of the truth that she's a Dalek trying to make itself known through her fantasy. I see the Daleks screaming "Let us in!" as kind of a metaphor for "let in the knowledge that you are one of us", or something like that. After all, she kept defending her door by nailing planks of wood to it, and every time the Daleks "attacked", some of the defences would fall down; since that was never a real door, it's probably more of a representation of her mind's defence mechanisms against the horrible truth that she's blocking out.

I'm thinking that either: 1) the Doctor somehow discovers a relative (be it immediate family, ancestor or descendant) and takes them along (this does have precedent, by the way: Freema Agyeman played someone in Army of Ghosts. In one of the books Martha says she was her cousin. I concede, though, that Adeola was a much smaller part than Osmin)
Hmm. I doubt Freema having also played Martha's cousin earlier on gives this that much precedent. I believe Freema got the part of Martha after having already played Adeola, so, as it wasn't planned, they simply had to retcon in a reason for the similarity somehow. Since Oswin's appearance obviously was planned here, it doesn't seem likely that Moffat would force himself to fall back on the old identical-relative handwave when he has the chance to make it something cleverer.

I don't know how I feel about the Daleks forgetting about the Doctor. It has certainly dispelled my belief that the Daleks had individual memory banks; apparently they didn't even recognise him from before. It's an interesting concept and I suppose related to the new apparent story-arc of 'the Doctor making everybody forget him', but I'm not sure how I feel about so much of that history down the drain. A large part of Doctor Who, I feel, is the Daleks and their hatred of the Doctor. However, I'm perfectly happy to see where this goes and I trust that Moffat knows what he's doing.
While I really enjoy how the Daleks forgetting the Doctor is relevant to the recent arc regarding the Doctor's huge reputation and I don't expect them to ever remember him again so long as that arc is still present, I do wonder if the knowledge of the Doctor is really permanently erased from the Daleks. If a future writer ever wanted to bring back the old Daleks-Doctor dynamic, I'm sure they'd find a way. I myself find it a little difficult to believe that the insane Daleks in the Asylum were given complete control over and ability to freely delete any of the data in the PathWeb if that really was the Daleks' only store of all their most important information, including that of their greatest foe. I wonder if there might not be some kind of Dalek data back-up somewhere in the universe - not something they'd go actively seeking right now, of course, since they have no idea who this Doctor person even is and so why should they care about information on him? - but something that they could potentially end up being steered towards by someone else, accidentally or deliberately, as the result of the plot of an episode.

Of course, this is all just my imaginings, but, yeah. If writers really want something to happen badly enough, they can find a way to make it work.

Also, I don't recall them at Demon's Run doing anything to Amy; I thought they were just experimenting with Melody.
I think what they were doing the whole time the pregnant Amy was there was trying to exacerbate the Time Lord-ness of the Melody foetus. Her being conceived on the TARDIS was a good start, but I think Vastra said something that indicated Kovarian's crew had been working hard to make Melody even more Time Lordy ever since. So, even if they weren't working directly on Amy, I'm not surprised that whatever they did to Melody in the womb had the side-effect of making Amy infertile.

And remember, never be fair to a Dalek when they're throwing you at a planet!
Hee. I love how indignant the Doctor sounds in that line. x3

I enjoyed Pond Life. Did anybody catch the reference to Amy's question in the unreleased scene that bridged the Eleventh Hour and the Beast Below? She asked him if the light bulb on the TARDIS needs changing and he didn't answer. At the start of Part 5, he was changing it.
Oh! I'd forgotten that Amy mentioned the bulb in the first Meanwhile in the TARDIS scene. I did remember the series 6 DVD scene Last Night, where, in an attempt to distract River, the Doctor lies that the TARDIS bulb might need changing and asks her to pop out and check. It's rather amusing to see that, actually, yes, he does need to change the bulb every so often. x3

-elyvorg/Amelia

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
The Joker.:

KingMinun, I might be misinterpreting what you're saying so if I am then never mind, but don't ever feel like you can't go into too much detail on an episode because of spoilers - that's what spoiler tags are for, after all.

Also,
She's not a companion yet. =P

-elyvorg/Amelia
No worries, I was in work using my phone so didn't really want to go into too much detail due to time constraints.

KingMinun/ Martha Jones

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Haven’t seen the new episode yet (it’s recorded, so soon...), but I got to watch Pond Life.

And yes it’s quite entertaining to see the Doctor has to change the light on top of the T.A.R.D.I.S., but what does that mean for the Chameleon Circuit? Say if it was working (fully), and you landed in ancient Greece where and when it would disguise itself as statue. What becomes of the light then?

I love Rory’s reactions to the Odd, possibly he gets the best lines there, ‘he seems to think he’s our butler’, ‘I feel so guilty.’ Of course Amy’s ‘Just eat your breakfast’ is good too.

And the bedroom scene. Did the Doctor plan that? Was he bored and decided he’d go scare the sh*t out of Amy and Rory by implying there was a possibly fatal event in the near future, ’cause Rory made it sound like it’d happened before.

Cool, I really enjoyed asylum.

I only saw the twist ending coming (how she was a dalek all along) just a bit before it happened. Also at the beginning when Amy and Rory had divorced shocked me, I just couldn't see how that could have happened, but at least it all worked out for the best. It is a shame that Amy can't have children but I'm thinking there will be a plot device that will allow this in the future.

I thought that this beared repeating seeing as this is the DW club. But I did get to hang out with Karen Gillan (Amy, duh) and she was so cool, and tall, I did ask her about the new series but she wouldnt tell me anything :( But she was really nice to us (Me and my bro) and I got her autograph!

Crasher

Yeah, this was my assessment of her abilities, too. She could hack Dalek technology that even the Doctor never could, and I don't believe any human, no matter how much of a genius, would ever normally be able to outclass the Doctor at that.

I forgot to mention that; yes, I agree, if the Doctor can't do it, there are very few people who can, and definitely not a human.

Since Oswin's appearance obviously was planned here, it doesn't seem likely that Moffat would force himself to fall back on the old identical-relative handwave when he has the chance to make it something cleverer.

Hmm... I went with the ol' identical-relative because of certain pictures showing the costumes of the Doctor and JLC in the Christmas episode. I didn't know whether that had been discussed, but I read over what I missed and I know that you've talked about it. I won't elaborate, but that's why I went with identical relative instead of the preferable timey-wimey clever rescue of Osmin. Remember Gwyneth?

I myself find it a little difficult to believe that the insane Daleks in the Asylum were given complete control over and ability to freely delete any of the data in the PathWeb if that really was the Daleks' only store of all their most important information, including that of their greatest foe.

I don't think that was necessarily the case. I think that because Osmin had access to the Path Web (i.e. she was inside the system, as opposed to the Doctor who (pun intended) was attempting to get in from the outside) she was able to utilise her hacking skills and delete the information.

I wonder if there might not be some kind of Dalek data back-up somewhere in the universe - not something they'd go actively seeking right now, of course, since they have no idea who this Doctor person even is and so why should they care about information on him? - but something that they could potentially end up being steered towards by someone else, accidentally or deliberately, as the result of the plot of an episode.

I imagine that this will be the case. I like the idea that, for whatever reason, the Doctor has to reveal his identity to the Daleks, bringing this (apparent) story-arc full circle. He surely realises that he can't stay hidden for long, going around and helping people like usual. It'll come back around eventually, I think. I liked the part at the start where the Doctor laments the fact that people are still talking about him, despite him being 'dead'.

Also, while looking through the past few pages, I came across your reference to a trailer which your called the 'aggressive stairs' trailer. I thought he meant that too! Only in Doctor Who could I opt for the homophone that ordinarily wouldn't fit out of the two! I suppose I was thinking of the Lodger's stairs, and their tendency to shoot lightning.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
So… um, yeah, how can she be the new companion when she’s a Dalek whose been blown up and didn’t recognize him? A, her Dalek condition overwrote her memories, and she escaped so he can make her humanish again later. B, she escaped and she’ll join him as a Dalek, and we’ll see scenes of her running around in her imaginary world, cut with the Dalek version of her and the Doctor. C, it’s her twin, or doppelganger.

I suspected something bad would or had happened to her all along, even if it wasn’t related to the milk (I bake without milk all the time)…Poor Oswin (Oswyn?). The Daleks can make meat puppets, now there’s a whole new level of scary to them. Of course they’re still only scary at 1:00 am when you can’t sleep and catch a blue flicker out of the corner of your eye. I was worried she was a meat puppet, but no, it’s worse, or perhaps better, she was still mostly herself in her head.

I also suspect the Daleks’ memory problem is temporary… the still all subconsciously know, and I think it’ll resurface, it just got him out of there for he time being.

Eggs… so those things come loose? I always assumed it was a sheet with semi-circle bubbles stamped into it. Where do baby Daleks come from?

The Rory-Amy break-up threw me for a loop… I knew they were fighting (Pond Life 5), but divorce? Whoa! I didn’t see that coming. I was sort of angry when Rory and Amy realized the Doctor didn’t need his nanogene wristband, but didn’t give it to Amy earlier, but then I started wondering if he knew that would get them back together all along. He does claim to be able to see all of time and space, though it seems like he’d have made some better choices at times if that were true. Maybe he just has occasional moments of clarity concerning the whole of time and space?

I imagine he does ask himself from time to time:
“Alone on his planet, Answerer sat, waiting for the Questioners. Occasionally he mumbled the answers to himself. This was his privilege. He knew.”
- ‘Ask a Foolish Question’, Science Fiction Stories 1953, Robert Sheckley

Yay! Dinosaurs and Nefertiti, this episode is going to be great! Is Rory’s dad an archeologist?

Aggressive Stairs should at least become a fanfic. ‘They’ll let you go down, but you can never come back up.’ I might write a bit on this even if no one else claims that right.

Last edited:
I'm really interested about how the new companion is actually going to join the doctor. He can't rescue her before she becomes a salek, otherwise him, Amy and Rory wouldn't have survived the asylum. Also she said that ALASKA was her first trip into space, and she didn't recognise the doctor so the only plausible explanation I can think of is maybe that the doctor wiped her memory before she boarded ALASKA.

Status
Not open for further replies.