• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Doctor Who Club v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I got to see Caves of Androzani today (couldn't fully focus on the story cause there was a 2 year old attacking me through most of it), pretty good, in hindsight I wish I hadn't know it was a regeneration episode as it made how it was going to end too obvious. I loved the celery conversation. After that, I jumped up to the top of the netflix classics list (skipping Aztecs because I've seen it, it's a awesome episode though) and watched the first half of Mind Robbers (I fell asleep towards the end and decided to watch the rest later). Apparently this was British TV's glitter era:
"hey, the trees look kind of square"
"it's okay, we'll smear some glitter on them, and it'll totally look like an alien forest"

Crasher

They used to have a lot of Classic Doctor Who on the English Netflix, but it has been reduced to four serials, each of which feature Daleks. I watched Remembrance of the Daleks the other day, which I liked. The pacing felt a bit strange, as did the way each episode ended on a cliffhanger, but I enjoyed it. I didn't like Ace too much, but the Doctor was good. After I started to watch Genesis of the Daleks, and I'm half way through that. I had already seen the first and last episodes, somehow.

The Sense Sphere was mentioned in Planet of the Ood. The Sense Sphere was pointed out as in the same system as the Ood Sphere.

Oh, and Steven Moffat says that he expects Peter Capaldi to keep his accent for the Twelfth Doctor.

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
That's too bad that Netfails did that to the orginal fanbase. They don't have any classic Disney or Ghibli movies either...

I got to finish 'Mind Robbers' it's acturally a pretty clever episode storywise.

I'm fine with whatever accent the doctor has, they haven't all sounded the same, and I'm okay with that. Remmeber Rose asking Dr 9 why he sounded like a northerner? "A lot of planets have a North"

Aegon

Last night, I finished watching the Seventh Doctor and Ace's stories with Survival. I didn't dislike any of them and was constantly surprised by just how good some of the serials are. The Curse of Fenric is by far my favourite, while The Greatest Show in the Galaxy and Ghost Light were both particularly enjoyable. I'd say Fenric is actually my favourite Classic story; it was very exciting and atmospheric, and Ace experienced great development. Dragonfire'sdefinitely the weakest. The show just feels so much different and more mature by the time it reaches the end (it's annoying how that turned out). I think I'll watch the 1996 TV movie again in the near future, since I recently bought the special edition and it does follow Survival.

In New Who world, this year's Christmas special, Matt's final episode, commenced filming today. Matt will be wearing a wig (now I'll be transfixed by that when the episode airs D:). Also, it's known that a certain enemy will be appearing due to a tweet from a stunt-woman who works on the programme.

The Cybermen! I wonder if they'll be the principal antagonists, or simply have a cameo appearance. It hasn't been too long since Nightmare in Silver, though it would draw comparisons between the special and The Tenth Planet.

-The Eleventh/Rory Williams

Crasher

50th scheduling news, including the name of the episode.

I was hoping for a bit longer, but I'm sure 75 minutes is more than enough. That poster looks excellent.

Matt said that "The Day of the Doctor is nearly here! Hope you all enjoy. There's lots more coming your way, as the countdown to the 50th begins now."

I sincerely hope the trailer comes out soon. Now they've announced the name and a slew of details for the 50th, surely they will release the trailer soon.

Photographs have also been taken of filming for the Christmas special. The hair of the wig looks quite fine compared to what he used to have, but otherwise it looks decent.

I re-watched the 1996 film recently. It's not too bad, and it's such a shame that Paul McGann didn't get more screen time as the Doctor. I really like his Doctor. I certainly hope he appears in the 50th in some way.

Aegon

I just finished listening to X and the Daleks, the fourth and final story in the Dark Eyes anthology. I thoroughly recommend the series. It's truly fantastic and is a perfect place to start the Eighth Doctor's adventures. Really remarkable. Toby Jones features in it and you can never have enough of Nicholas Briggs voicing the Daleks. It was great to finally have an Irish companion, too. :p Before that, I listened to The Chimes of Midnight. That one was incredibly unnerving, but brilliant nevertheless. It's certainly worth experiencing.

I was hoping for a bit longer, but I'm sure 75 minutes is more than enough.
I was also wishing for a longer runtime, but I'll live with what we're getting. The actual plot is far more important. Who wants to bet that the Christmas special will be called "... of the Doctor"?

Photographs have also been taken of filming for the Christmas special. The hair of the wig looks quite fine compared to what he used to have, but otherwise it looks decent.
It's much better than what I was expecting, but I can notice the difference between his real hair and the wig. It's a shame that Matt had to wear one for his final episode. I'll miss his hair. ;_;

Nine weeks until The Day of the Doctor! I'm starting to like that title more and more...

Last edited:

fitzy909

Just another guy
50th scheduling news, including the name of the episode.

I was hoping for a bit longer, but I'm sure 75 minutes is more than enough. That poster looks excellent.

Matt said that "The Day of the Doctor is nearly here! Hope you all enjoy. There's lots more coming your way, as the countdown to the 50th begins now."

I sincerely hope the trailer comes out soon. Now they've announced the name and a slew of details for the 50th, surely they will release the trailer soon.

I re-watched the 1996 film recently. It's not too bad, and it's such a shame that Paul McGann didn't get more screen time as the Doctor. I really like his Doctor. I certainly hope he appears in the 50th in some way.

the poster gets me excited for the episode. note the 'Bad Wolf' graffiti. i wonder how that will be incorporated, because it must be important if it is on the poster. i think 75 minutes will be long enough, as long as they don't try and put too much into the episode.

Also, i agree that the 1996 film was pretty good and it didn't get nearly enough recognition. Paul McGann was pretty good and i really wish they would do a special about how and why he regenerated.

C.y.a.n

Ace Trainer
hey guys, it has been a while^^'

Just heard that the Doctor Revisited will air on the 12th of October. I wonder what else is happening that day????? :D it will run up to the 15th of november then.

Does anyone else know when other 50th shows are airing? I wonder will there be a prequel like a week beforehand?

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
C.y.a.n. : Where are you? The Doctor Revisited 1-9 have aired in the US already... Or do you mean the 10th or 11th Doctor's specific episode? - The main 50th episode airs worldwide on Nov 23rd... I don't think they've announce any prequels.

fitzy/Crasher: Yeah, I agree. The 96 movie was underrated. I pretty much started rewatching it as soon as I'd finished. (I thought I'd seen it before, but it didn't seem like it once I started watching it...) - So the obvious question for everyone; is the 96 movie to be treated as canon? And even if it is, is the suggested maternal ancestory of the Doctor true? Is the Doctor half-human? The Master seems to believe it, but when the Doctor admits it, he treats it like a joke... And as we all know; Rule #1, the Doctor lies.

Last edited:

C.y.a.n

Ace Trainer
C.y.a.n. : Where are you? The Doctor Revisited 1-9 have aired in the US already... Or do you mean the 10th or 11th Doctor's specific episode? - The main 50th episode airs worldwide on Nov 23rd... I don't think they've announce any prequels.

fitzy/Crasher: Yeah, I agree. The 96 movie was underrated. I pretty much started rewatching it as soon as I'd finished. (I thought I'd seen it before, but it didn't seem like it once I started watching it...) - So the obvious question for everyone; is the 96 movie to be treated as canon? And even if it is, is the suggested maternal ancestory of the Doctor true? Is the Doctor half-human? The Master seems to believe it, but when the Doctor admits it, he treats it like a joke... And as we all know; Rule #1, the Doctor lies.

I'm in Ireland. Of course I know the 50th is airing on the 23rd, I do obviously keep up with the air date of the episode. Prequel wouldn't be announce to a later date anyways, why bother releasing it this early?

Crasher

The film is canon (as evidenced by the images of Eight appearing in various episodes of New Who), but I think fans just tend to ignore the line about being half-human. RTD was going to put a line in 'The End of Time' that was something like "I was half-human for a bit in the 90s; I had a cold", but cut it. I was reading about this the other day, and there is some sort of comic that said that the Doctor used a chameleon arch to re-write his biology to fool the Master. Whether that overrides the canon of the film is debatable, but I expect most people would prefer that explanation to be canon.

In other news, the Avengers 2 teaser that aired at Comic Con has premiered online. Hopefully that means that we'll get the 50th trailer soon, although of course Marvel and the BBC will be working on different schedules. They're currently re-airing Series 7 on BBC 3 (Nightmare in Silver tomorrow) on Saturdays; hopefully they'll do what they did with Sherlock a few weeks ago and put the trailer just after the Name of the Doctor finishes. It'd be excellent to see the trailer featuring John Hurt shortly after the reveal in NotD.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I don't suppose I mind if the Doctor is, in fact, half human. I just doesn't seem like eveyrthing matches up... for example, the Master no longer has neon evil for eyes, which is a big part of him claiming the Doctor is half human. Aside from that, my understanding is that regenerating Timelords don't always have to end up looking human (old series), which means he could have human-like eyes by choice? If the comic is canon, it doesn't override the film, it changes our understanding of the film, so that we understand the Doctor to have fooled the Master, and that regeneration trauma was preventing him from really realizing it.

Ladies and gents,

[video=youtube;7hRy2N2CMhQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRy2N2CMhQ[/video]

A new 50th anniversary trailer.

Well, that didn't show anything too new. Seeing One, Four, Ten and Eleven was nice, but I guess there'll be a real trailer nearer to the time. 35 days away, after all.

Last edited:

Aegon

It's so beautiful. It felt like much less than a minute when it was broadcast on television. :p The remix of the theme tune, particularly at the end, is magnificent. I do hope we get a proper trailer soon, though in some ways I wouldn't mind going without one. The actual episode would have an amazing impact if that were to be the case, but it should be capable of doing that in its own right.

The Series 7 box-set is out next Monday and it includes some specially-filmed minisodes, as has become the norm. I haven't watched them yet (as it was released in the US last month for some unfathomable reason), so it'll be nice to enjoy some "new" Who—when the box-set arrives a week or so after release, that is. Damn BBC Shop and their exclusives.

I almost forgot! Missing episodes discoveries! Very exciting. I've pre-ordered the limited editions of both The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear and from the BBC Shop. Hopefully we'll see more announcements of this kind over the coming months.

e: There are so many visual references in the trailer! There's the fez, a Roboform head, a clockword droid mask, the Key to Time, two TARDIS keys, the Chameleon Arch fob watch, jelly babies, Clara's leaf, Five's brainy specs, and then the Master's laser screwdriver, the sonic pen and Nine and Ten's screwdriver can be seen when Eleven grabs his.

Last edited:

Crasher

That was incredible. When I first heard about it I thought it would just be a montage of clips, but that eclipsed any expectations I had. The music throughout was excellent, and I also liked how echoes of other Doctors could be heard during certain lines (I caught Tom Baker, barely, and Peter Davison; Paul McGann mentioned on Twitter that he had to match Matt's "dramatic delivery" for voice-over, so presumably he was talking about this, but I didn't hear him). It might have been nice to have each Doctor record some of the lines, but it probably did work best with Matt speaking on his own. I enjoyed the plethora of references in the trailer, they really created a great sense of continuity. I particularly enjoyed seeing Bessie. I was especially pleased with the appearance from Sarah Jane. Some people are claiming that the policeman at the beginning is John Hurt, but I disagree.

That was really, really fantastic. I don't think we could ask for more in a short trailer celebrating the programme. What's more is that there has been a departure from the broadly negative reaction to the BBC's promotion of the 50th, as the reaction to this has been overwhelmingly positive. Hopefully we'll get a trailer for the episode on Wednesday (one month until it airs) or Saturday.

MarinaS

sinnoh queen
Ooh, a Doctor Who Club! What's up everyone? :3

Becoming

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
That trailer-y thing was pretty cool. I'm a bit bummed that we haven't seen much footage yet, but at the same time it'd kinda exciting. Assuming no one leaks plot details (and I will personally kill anyone that does) then we're really going into this blind! Would be cool if they released some footage though...the first minute of the episode? Is that too much to ask for?

Also found out from a friend the other day that the episode is gonna play at the movies! I'm probably gonna go to it there, but I better buy my ticket soon. Don't want it to be sold out!

cwertle

Don't Blink!
A Doctor Who club? Sweet!

Why do you like Doctor Who?
For one the characters, there diversity and personalities are very neat, and fun to watch them as they get into all sorts of ridiculous situations. I also rather like the drama, its very sad but makes the show all the more interesting. This is one of the first tv shows I have really gotten into, and I am now looking into other neat series such as Sherlock, Supernatural, Firefly and more. I got into it rather recently, sometime earlier this year but I got really into it. :p I spent about 200 dollars or so on awesome Doctor Who stuff (Fourth doctors scarf, Fez (I walked into chick-fil-a with my fez on once, got some strange looks lol.) and bowtie, Tardis blanket, t-shirts and more) from Thinkgeek, an online store which I highly recommend. Anyways, I got a bit sidetracked there, but overall, I think its just a really neat show.

Who's your favorite Doctor?
Ooh, this is a question I don't really like to answer, as I have yet to finish all of the classic series. I just finished series 6, and I'm starting at the beginning of the classic series now until season 7 is on netflix. As such, I have only seen the 1st, 9th, 10th and 11th doctors. Out of them, I guess 10 and 11 would be my favorites so far. I can't wait to see Peter Capaldi, and his take on the Doctor.

Desired character title?
I think I'll just go with "Bad wolf"

They've just announced the cinema locations, and the tickets will be available for sale on Friday at 9:00 for the UK. Here's the map of cinemas near you. America doesn't have any yet, but New Zealand and Australia look okay.

This is an interesting behind the scenes look at Saturday's trailer.

Welcome, SkywardZelda. If you could just have a look at the front post and fill out the joining form. Thanks.

None near my town. Oh well, will be on the sofa on the 23rd November.

Waiting for this seems like forever tbh. Only 29 days to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.