• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Doctor Who Club v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Not a member, but I am currently watching 'The Science of Doctor Who'!

Pretty interesting, and I cannot wait for the 50th episode!

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
(Will-powered Spriter, I know we all have the number eight on the brain right now, but you did mean nine days, right? Or are you using your Oxford witchcraft to get the special a day early just like you apparently got the minisode a week early? :O )

-elyvorg/Amelia

Wait crap its not friday today is it. Stupid thursdays, no one likes them.
And I didn't mean we got the minisode early, I meant we watched the
Brain of Morbius, the classic episode where the sisterhood and their elixir of life originated
a couple of weeks prior.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Well, I know I've been quiet lately. I'm really excited though, but seeing as I'm not going to get to watch it live *cries*, and I've yet to watch the recent trailers and minisodes, which means I'm not reading spoilers, I haven't had a lot to post... um, so... yeah.

EDIT:
Well, after all that whining, I got a chance to watch the Night of The Doctor, and 2 of the trailers today.
Apparently I need to watch the Brain of Morbius (I’m re-watching the ‘96 movie again as I type this! Lee’s just unlocked the TARDIS.) The numbering is so messed-up now...

10 and 11 together! Yay! So much more excited that before, even though I already knew. And Hurt will be there too, won't he?

Oh man, “is it going to hurt” to regenerate in Hurt? Am I the only one who though that was punny? I'm kind of wondering how the episode will explain this so that the people who didn't watch the minisode get the situation. They did alright when the Ponds split up, so I have no doubts they'll make it will work.

Last edited:

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
tomatohater, if you'd like to become a member so you can post here freely in future, you're welcome to take a look at the first post and fill in the joining form.

Preview clip from Children in Need! It's not massively interesting compared to The Night of the Doctor, but it is fun.

(I like how Clara has taken up the job of fez-disapproval, as all companions should.)

Hee, paintings being broken from the inside and figures escaping them. That sounds like fun. It also makes me extra glad I'm going to be watching this episode at the cinema in 3D, because the 3D effect there probably looks really neat. I wonder what would happen if someone tried to jump into one of those 3D paintings?

Meanwhile I'm intrigued by how much the Doctor remembers about this wormhole thing. I haven't watched any of the old multi-Doctor episodes (except Time Crash, which I don't think really counts), so can anyone who has done tell me: how did it work with the fact that the later Doctors should in theory already remember everything that's going to happen due to having lived through it as their earlier selves? Surely it can't actually work like that, because then the later Doctors would already know how to solve the problem and there'd be no conflict.

Here, the Eleventh Doctor clearly remembers being the Tenth Doctor and seeing a fez and then his future self appear out of a wormhole. But maybe this only means that he'll remember stuff as it's about to happen to him right now (in a wibbly sense of "now"), or something? Because if he already remembered everything that was going to happen this episode, that would be boring. It would also mean things like he'd have already known that Clara was going to become his companion before he'd even met her at all, because he'd remember seeing her with his future self while he was the Tenth Doctor during this episode. That cannot possibly be how it actually goes, right?

Aaa. I feel like I should be having so much more to say this close to a new episode, but this time there's been a decided lack of much information about how the episode's actual story might go. Which in a way is better, as it leaves plenty more chance for me to be surprised as I watch it, while still keeping me excited in the meantime simply from the basic premise of multiple Doctors and Time War-related stuff. I just know I'm going to enjoy this episode so much for one reason or another, even if I don't know exactly why yet.

And then there keep being so many other Doctor Who-related things on around the BBC right about now. I might watch some of them if I have the time. It's lovely to think how this show has had such a big impact on so many people's lives. :3

~four days!~

-elyvorg/Amelia

Crasher

Steven Moffat likes the theory that all the Doctors remember the events of multi-Doctor stories but are forced to act as though they don't know have foreknowledge because that's how they remember themselves acting. He certainly thought that about The Five Doctors, but his opinion might have changed. I don't like it because I think it makes the whole thing almost like a pantomime, with each Doctor acting out a role and only the youngest doing any work. I do like the idea that the memories are being formed for each Doctor as it happens; I don't know how it'd work in practice but it's easy enough to pass it off as timey-wimey. Or perhaps the coming together of Doctors sometimes frazzles out their memories after they go their separate ways?

I'm interested by the choice to use this wormhole to bring together the Doctors. The end of the last episode was a perfect opportunity to bring multiple Doctors together, so I'm surprised that the easy way wasn't taken.

The Cybermen in that famous painting interests me. I've heard speculation that part of the museum has become almost like an interactive file on the Doctor, given that they have a fez, the Cybermen, and the painting of Gallifrey from the other preview clip. Also, it was suggested that the workers in this gallery might develop something of a fandom for the Doctor, given that a guy in a lab coat was wearing converse and Osgood is wearing the Fourth Doctor's scarf. I'd like it if those Classic-era Cybermen broke out of their painting and appeared in the episode.

The bit with him analysing the glass was a bit jarring at first, as it struck me as a bit too 'Sherlock' (perhaps he's just trying to satiate the need for more Sherlock). However, I remembered the Doctor's insane analysis/deduction skills from his initial episodes and it makes it more palatable, but it's still been some time since we saw him display his skill at that.

I've had a friend disparaging me for choosing to pay for 3D, but this clip seems to have vindicated me. Moffat's said that he decided to build the episode around 3D, and given that Clara said "3D again" so (presumably) early in the episode indicates that it's going to be pretty 3D heavy. Plus, those epic Time War battle shots seem like they're going to be great in 3D.

It all happens tomorrow, peeps!

So incase anyone noticed, I played (and completed) the Doctor Who Google game. It was neat, being able to play as any of the 11 Doctors you want.

One thing that I'm confused about is why the BBC are releasing these preview clips all around the web. It isn't long to go, why try to spoil everything before it actually airs? They're just pointless.

C.y.a.n

Ace Trainer
Sorry about delay but Jenna Coleman said it would be very emotional the christmas special.

It is tomorrow, oh my god....... 50 years of the and space..... I cannot wait at all! I have my tickets booked for the cinema. Will be there really early for great seats. It looks like it will be just epic. The sad bit after Saturday there is just normal life again and no anniversary to look forward to :( I am very emotional over this XD anyways onwards to the fiftieth. I'm going for my bday along with seeing the Hunger Games: Catching Fire so that will be a fun day.

Hope everyone enjoys the 50th and that is lives up to our hopes. GEROMINO!!!!!

Oh, and here's another mini-sode incase anyone hasn't seen it.

[video=youtube;Eem2Ehq_xBI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eem2Ehq_xBI[/video]

The beginning of the Time War, eh? Didn't like how the Gallifreyans talked casual, wish there'd be more diversity between alien races, unless they're human and they came from Earth.

Last edited:

stupot

Cinema tickets in hand, just 7 hours to go... the suspense in the cinema waiting for it to start will be unbearable!

...though I'll probably there about an hour early, which won't help my nerves. Praying that no one tall sits in front of me.

cwertle

Don't Blink!
OH GOSH GUYS ITS TODAY

WHERE DO I WATCH IT

Help, anyone? Do you know when it will be available on amazon instant video? I don't have bbc and I live in america....

tumblr_mmyhniDiT31r95w7yo5_250.gif

Last edited:

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
stupot: Hi! If you'd like to participate in this club's discussion, could you please read the first post and fill in its joining form? Then we'll be happy to welcome you.

cwertle, I'm pretty sure the episode is being shown practically worldwide. I don't know the exact details since I'm British myself, but the US should definitely be one of the countries it's airing in. If you look for it, I'm sure you'll be able to find somewhere to watch it today without having to resort to... other means.

Thanks for that other prequel, The Green Blockhead. I'd heard vague talk about another prequelly thing but not been able to find it myself. (Although you could have just linked, rather than embedding it straight in the post, but eh, that works too.) I enjoyed it. It didn't exactly tell us anything we didn't already know, but I feel it told its story in a very neat way.

Yeah, there have been a few more little preview clips floating around. I for one don't mind them at all; they're barely spoiling anything, and if people do mind about getting spoilers for even the tiny, barely-spoilery moments then they can just choose to avoid them, surely?

There were also preview clips shown on a recent episode of The One Show which had John Hurt and Jenna Coleman as guests, and these clips I don't think have been circulated beyond that (well, unless anyone's uploaded footage from the show onto Youtube, which wouldn't surprise me but I haven't looked). I feel like talking a little bit about what was in them, even though I doubt many other people have seen them and those who haven't would probably prefer to just wait until the episode to see for themselves rather than read me boringly listing facts from them.

The main one had the War Doctor meeting Rose, who just appeared out of thin air when his back was turned and said something about wolves. So, yeah, seems like Rose's presence here is going to be as timey-wimey and Bad-Wolfy and definitely-not-from-mid-series-two I expected. I'll be looking forward to potentially interesting reactions from the Tenth (and maybe even Eleventh) Doctor if/when he realises that she's there-but-not-there.

Then they showed another couple of clips without sound (they were sort of showing in the background while the presenters talked to the guests). One of them had the Doctor and Clara talking in the TARDIS, seemingly shortly after she zooms in on the motorbike. I would have liked to have heard their conversation, but one thing I didn't miss out on was the fact that Clara made the TARDIS doors shut by snapping her fingers! Which is awesome, because there's no way the TARDIS would let someone she doesn't get on with tell her when to shut her doors, so this means that the TARDIS actually likes Clara now! This is clearly an important development. *nodnod* Perhaps it was the lengths Clara went to to save her Doctor at the end of last series that made Sexy reconsider what she thought of her.

Meanwhile, the Tenth Doctor seemed to be talking to a rabbit. Quite sternly, if his facial expression was anything to go by. ...Your guess is as good as mine.

So I watched Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide earlier today, which among all the many things on around the BBC this week was one I was most interested in seeing as it was mostly about the Doctor himself, and what all his different incarnations were like and what makes him such an enduring, likeable, intriguing character. Ultimately it wasn't quite as interesting as I'd hoped it would be, but it was still a nice way to pass the time and make it two hours closer to 7:50. And, silly as it was, I did rather like the framing device of a couple of presumably-not-canon scenes with the Doctor and Clara, in which the Doctor had accidentally erased his memory by messing up something in the TARDIS so Clara had to help him get it back, hence two hours of people talking about who the Doctor is. The exchange between them the end, after he'd got his memory back, was lovely.

Clara: And every time you go to a place and there's something wrong, you could turn and run, but you don't. You never do. You stay; you help.
The Doctor: Wouldn't anyone stay and help?
Clara: No! And because you don't know that, and because you'll never understand it, that, my friend, is what makes you the Doctor.

It really sums up the way the Doctor often doesn't realise what a good man he is, and he needs people, like his companions, like Clara, to remind him of that and keep him going. This is a theme I imagine there will be hints of in The Day of the Doctor - a certain someone's presence is probably going to bring the Doctor's self-loathing a lot closer to the surface than usual, so hopefully Clara will be able to reassure him that that's not all he is and he's still a good person at heart.

And speaking of the Doctor being ultimately a good person despite everything, I've been thinking a bit about the War Doctor and what he might be like, so I may as well get this out now before the episode airs and I'm potentially proven hugely wrong.

The thing is, regeneration never seems to change who the Doctor fundamentally is at his core. It only really changes things on the surface: his personality, what sides to him are shown in different circumstances, exactly how he deals with threats. It may change how well he shows it, but it doesn't change the simple, enduring fact that he instinctively wants to help people wherever he goes. And I don't think the Sisterhood of Karn's fancy regeneration-fixing potions could ultimately make this any different. They may deliberately bring the most warrior-like aspects of him right up to the surface and bury the parts that hate seeing death and bloodshed as deep as possible, but they could never erase the latter parts altogether. The War Doctor still cares just as much as the Doctor always does; that's what I think. I believe what the Sisterhood did for him was essentially just give him his new personality as a defence mechanism with which he could fight the war he needed to fight while most effectively blocking out how much he hated to do it. The Eighth Doctor would never have been capable of that because his outward personality was just too nice (so I gather) that he'd have just broken down and been unable to cope with the horror of what he was doing.

The Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Doctors' subsequent refusal to acknowledge that the War Doctor even existed would then be just his attempt to cope with the horror of what he did while in that incarnation by blocking it out completely. He'd be insisting that his eight-and-a-halfth incarnation wasn't "the Doctor" as a way to try and tell himself that it wasn't really him who went through that and had no choice but to do those terrible things, so that he can distance himself from the memories so that they don't hurt as much. It's not that the War Doctor actually was such a genuinely horrible person that he didn't even deserve to be called "the Doctor"; I don't believe any incarnation of the Doctor could ever truly be that. This is why I'm happy to still refer to that incarnation of him as "the Doctor", despite the Doctor's own insistence that that's not who he is. Ultimately I don't think the "JOHN HURT as THE DOCTOR" caption at the end of last episode was wrong after all, despite it seeming that way at the time.

Buuut this is all just my speculation and interpretation and I could turn out to be wildly wrong. Whether I'm right or not, I'm sure the War Doctor, as well as his future selves' reactions to seeing him again, will be fascinating. I expect my usual Sunday ramble to be ridiculously long. :3

~less than five hours to go!~

-elyvorg/Amelia

Last edited:

cwertle

Don't Blink!
stupot: Hi! If you'd like to participate in this club's discussion, could you please read the first post and fill in its joining form? Then we'll be happy to welcome you.

cwertle, I'm pretty sure the episode is being shown practically worldwide. I don't know the exact details since I'm British myself, but the US should definitely be one of the countries it's airing in. If you look for it, I'm sure you'll be able to find somewhere to watch it today without having to resort to... other means.

Thanks for that other prequel, The Green Blockhead. I'd heard vague talk about another prequelly thing but not been able to find it myself. (Although you could have just linked, rather than embedding it straight in the post, but eh, that works too.) I enjoyed it. It didn't exactly tell us anything we didn't already know, but I feel it told its story in a very neat way.

Yeah, there have been a few more little preview clips floating around. I for one don't mind them at all; they're barely spoiling anything, and if people do mind about getting spoilers for even the tiny, barely-spoilery moments then they can just choose to avoid them, surely?

There were also preview clips shown on a recent episode of The One Show which had John Hurt and Jenna Coleman as guests, and these clips I don't think have been circulated beyond that (well, unless anyone's uploaded footage from the show onto Youtube, which wouldn't surprise me but I haven't looked). I feel like talking a little bit about what was in them, even though I doubt many other people have seen them and those who haven't would probably prefer to just wait until the episode to see for themselves rather than read me boringly listing facts from them.

The main one had the War Doctor meeting Rose, who just appeared out of thin air when his back was turned and said something about wolves. So, yeah, seems like Rose's presence here is going to be as timey-wimey and Bad-Wolfy and definitely-not-from-mid-series-two I expected. I'll be looking forward to potentially interesting reactions from the Tenth (and maybe even Eleventh) Doctor if/when he realises that she's there-but-not-there.

Then they showed another couple of clips without sound (they were sort of showing in the background while the presenters talked to the guests). One of them had the Doctor and Clara talking in the TARDIS, seemingly shortly after she zooms in on the motorbike. I would have liked to have heard their conversation, but one thing I didn't miss out on was the fact that Clara made the TARDIS doors shut by snapping her fingers! Which is awesome, because there's no way the TARDIS would let someone she doesn't get on with tell her when to shut her doors, so this means that the TARDIS actually likes Clara now! This is clearly an important development. *nodnod* Perhaps it was the lengths Clara went to to save her Doctor at the end of last series that made Sexy reconsider what she thought of her.

Meanwhile, the Tenth Doctor seemed to be talking to a rabbit. Quite sternly, if his facial expression was anything to go by. ...Your guess is as good as mine.

So I watched Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide earlier today, which among all the many things on around the BBC this week was one I was most interested in seeing as it was mostly about the Doctor himself, and what all his different incarnations were like and what makes him such an enduring, likeable, intriguing character. Ultimately it wasn't quite as interesting as I'd hoped it would be, but it was still a nice way to pass the time and make it two hours closer to 7:50. And, silly as it was, I did rather like the framing device of a couple of presumably-not-canon scenes with the Doctor and Clara, in which the Doctor had accidentally erased his memory by messing up something in the TARDIS so Clara had to help him get it back, hence two hours of people talking about who the Doctor is. The exchange between them the end, after he'd got his memory back, was lovely.

Clara: And every time you go to a place and there's something wrong, you could turn and run, but you don't. You never do. You stay; you help.
The Doctor: Wouldn't anyone stay and help?
Clara: No! And because you don't know that, and because you'll never understand it, that, my friend, is what makes you the Doctor.

It really summed up the way the Doctor often doesn't realise what a good man he is, and he needs people, like his companions, like Clara, to remind him of that and keep him going. This is a theme I imagine there will be hints of in The Day of the Doctor - a certain someone's presence is probably going to bring the Doctor's self-loathing a lot closer to the surface than usual, so hopefully Clara will be able to reassure him that that's not all he is and he's still a good person at heart.

And speaking of the Doctor being ultimately a good person despite everything, I've been thinking a bit about the War Doctor and what he might be like, so I may as well get this out now before the episode airs and I'm potentially proven hugely wrong.

The thing is, regeneration never seems to change who the Doctor fundamentally is at his core. It only really changes things on the surface: his personality, what sides to him are shown in different circumstances, exactly how he deals with threats. It may change how well he shows it, but it doesn't change the simple, enduring fact that he instinctively wants to help people wherever he goes. And I don't think the Sisterhood of Karn's fancy regeneration-fixing potions could ultimately make this any different. They may deliberately bring the most warrior-like aspects of him right up to the surface and bury the parts that hate seeing death and bloodshed as deep as possible, but they could never erase the latter parts altogether. The War Doctor still cares just as much as the Doctor always does; that's what I think. I believe what the Sisterhood did for him was essentially just give him his new personality as a defence mechanism with which he could fight the war he needed to fight while most effectively blocking out how much he hated to do it. The Eighth Doctor would never have been capable of that because his outward personality was just too nice (so I gather) that he'd have just broken down and been unable to cope with the horror of what he was doing.

The Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Doctors' subsequent refusal to acknowledge that the War Doctor even existed would then be just his attempt to cope with the horror of what he did while in that incarnation by blocking it out completely. He'd be insisting that his eight-and-a-halfth incarnation wasn't "the Doctor" as a way to try and tell himself that it wasn't really him who went through that and had no choice but to do those terrible things, so that he can distance himself from the memories so that they don't hurt as much. It's not that the War Doctor actually was such a genuinely horrible person that he didn't even deserve to be called "the Doctor"; I don't believe any incarnation of the Doctor could ever truly be that. This is why I'm happy to still refer to that incarnation of him as "the Doctor", despite the Doctor's own insistence that that's not who he is. Ultimately I don't think the "JOHN HURT as THE DOCTOR" caption at the end of last episode was wrong after all, despite it seeming that way at the time.

Buuut this is all just my speculation and interpretation and I could turn out to be wildly wrong. Whether I'm right or not, I'm sure the War Doctor, as well as his future selves' reactions to seeing him again, will be fascinating. I expect my usual Sunday ramble to be ridiculously long. :3

~less than five hours to go!~

-elyvorg/Amelia

Yeah, but I don't have bbc channel...

MooseSmuggler

#DeathToFascists
Yeah, but I don't have bbc channel...

You don't have BBC-America? What provider do you have, and where do you live? Someone's plan not having BBCA is rare, far as I can tell...either way, it should be available online by tomorrow, I would think.

My partner and I are planning to watch the special from home, with no one to bother us but our cats (unless the landscapers decide that 3 in the afternoon is a perfect time to do the things they forgot yesterday, in which case they will find themselves on the receiving end of their equipment).

cwertle

Don't Blink!
You don't have BBC-America? What provider do you have, and where do you live? Someone's plan not having BBCA is rare, far as I can tell...either way, it should be available online by tomorrow, I would think.

My partner and I are planning to watch the special from home, with no one to bother us but our cats (unless the landscapers decide that 3 in the afternoon is a perfect time to do the things they forgot yesterday, in which case they will find themselves on the receiving end of their equipment).

I have no idea. xD

I'm 14, still live with my parents, I don't know these things. :p

fitzy909

Just another guy
Oh, and here's another mini-sode incase anyone hasn't seen it.

[video=youtube;Eem2Ehq_xBI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eem2Ehq_xBI[/video]

The beginning of the Time War, eh? Didn't like how the Gallifreyans talked casual, wish there'd be more diversity between alien races, unless they're human and they came from Earth.

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

#DeathToFascists
Woop! Day of the Doctor! Woop!

Cannot wait! Does anyone know when it starts?

Don't wanna miss a second!

It starts at 7:50 in Britain, but it's a worldwide simul-cast, so it depends on your time zone. It's 2:50 EST, 11:50 PST. I'm EST (it's 11:38, so it starts in three hours and twelve minutes).

Also, to participate in a club, you need to apply for membership. iirc, that's a forum-wide rule, not just for this club (either way, you do have to apply for this club, the form is in the OP).

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Why do you like Doctor Who?
I like Doctor Who for many reasons. Originally, it was because I grew up with it! Our family used to gather to watch Doctor Who and it was considered an occasion, especially the Christmas Special! I also like the sense of adventure, and trying to figure out how to solve the disaster on hand before the Doctor does! There would be more, but I would ramble on for ages!
Who's your favourite Doctor?
Probably David Tennant, although Matt Smith has grown on me quite recently!
Desired character title?
None Please

Regarding the 50th Anniversary Special:
The only thing that could have been improved would have been if Tennant could have seen Rose again due to the 'Rips' in Time! That would be interesting! Stay with Rose or go back to Queen Elizabeth I?

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

#DeathToFascists
WOW! That was brilliant! Really enjoyed it!

The only thing that could have been improved would have been if Tennant could have seen Rose again due to the 'Rips' in Time! That would be interesting! Rose or Queen Elizabeth I?

Form. OP. Fill out. Mods could come after you.

ANYWAY MY THOUGHTS BECAUSE OH MY GODS
THE LAST FEW MINUTES OH MY GOD! There's a reason Tumblrites are calling it "The Scream Heard Around the World". The appearance of Capaldi, AND the cameo from Tom Baker? GLORIOUS. I also love the bit where ALL of the Doctor's incarnations show up to help save Gallifrey. And, at last, the Doctor can rest easy, now that Gallifrey is safe. Also, my thoughts on John Hurt's incarnation: even though he's technically the 9th incarnation, based on how he said he's "not the Doctor", I'd say it's safe to say he lets the count continue as-is. Most people have grown to calling him the 8.5th Doctor, which I think is apropos. That way the count stays the same, and 8.5 can be welcomed into canon. Also, his regeneration at the end brings everything full-circle. Now, everything that happened between the last of 8's audios and the beginning of the revised series is accounted for. The 50th was INCREDIBLE. I'd say Moffat made a damn good tribute to the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.