• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Dragonite Paradise and the Dragonair Trial! (1099)

Jnmisty

I was deeply in shock that Ash caught a Dragonite. Plus the way it is so affectionate, it reminds me of either Muk or even Bayleef

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
Yawl see my avatar? This is the avatar of someone who loves Dragonite! Like actually loves Dragonite. This episode was always gonna get a 10/10 from me. But then the episode aired. It started with me laughing at Go wasting an obnoxious amount of balls capturing one Dewgong. Then it continued with me laughing at said Dewgong chasing after love much to the dismay of those riding on it. Then it was elation at seeing the Dragonite Island. Like YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! kind of elation. Then it was curiosity at ash mentioning he has a spare pokeball for Go to use. *I'm sure that means nothing.* I thought to myself as I continued watching. Then it was surprised curiosity. Like they actually went into detail about the species and the environment. Unexpected but not unwelcome. Then the Dragon Dance training began and a spark of hope lit up in me. "Don't do that. Don't make me hope." The last post I made on this forum was me outright denying Ash would catch a mon in the dragonite line. As I said, there's no precedent. Ash hasn't caught a mon outside the current gen sense Aipom in Gen 3. There was no reason. Surely it wouldn't happen, right? Then all of my hopes and dreams towards this episode came true as the Dragonair evolved into dragonite and Ash caught said dragonite and now I'm thinking about crying cause this is an episode I didn't realize I wanted until it was right in front of me. Never have I been happier to be wrong. I love this episode and not just because Dragonite is the primary focus mon. but because it made me laugh, it made me hope, and it made me love.

Tl;dr: 149/10

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
While Ash catching Dragonite was clearly the highlight,I also really liked this episode because it tried to explain why Dragonair takes such a drastic form change when it evolves. After years of seeing people either joking that Dragonite got fat or complaining about how Dragonair lost its regal look, it was nice to finally get an in-universe explanation to this question.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
It's a miracle nobody's found the island, what with it being surrounded by a very conspicuous wall of clouds, and apparently in a mysterious no-fly zone because you can easily go over the storm

Heck, even Team Rocket was already on their way there when they ran into Ash and Go, so I'm guessing there's more Rockets on the way, likely to restock their Game Corner prize pool

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
While Ash catching Dragonite was clearly the highlight,I also really liked this episode because it tried to explain why Dragonair takes such a drastic form change when it evolves. After years of seeing people either joking that Dragonite got fat or complaining about how Dragonair lost its regal look, it was nice to finally get an in-universe explanation to this question.

I mean, it’s probably not the scientific explanation (or maybe it is, tbh, given how naturally kind Dragonite are), but it’s at least nice that they acknowledged how weird the transition from Dragonair to Dragonite is.

dentula

This episode was pretty great! The conflict with the Wailord was fun to watch; I enjoyed how everyone was chillin' on Wailord then the silly rainbow appeared.

It was really cool to take a closer look at the Dratini line biology, and Ash's theory on the drastic change upon final evolution.

Though, I would have liked to see Ash capture Dragonair instead. We haven't really seen Ash use a serpentine pokemon (not counting Snivy); there's potential for nuanced battle tactics there.

How many trips have Ash and co had now? The Professor must be incredibly well-funded to allow two kids to travel anywhere on a curiosity whim. I wish I could get funding that easy for my research...

Leonhart

Imagineer
I really liked Satoshi and Gou's outfits in this episode, and I was amused by the Rocket-dan getting Whaloh out of their Gachat machine this time around. It wasn't something that I was expecting after seeing some of the other Pokemon that they've received from that, but it was amusing. In a bizarre twist, it was the main setting of the episode and the various Hakuryu and Kairyu that I thought were the least interesting parts of the episode.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Eddieursa said:
At least, Go didn't have it so easily to capture Pokemon. He bought a ton of PokeBalls just to waste them into capturing Dewgong, instead of weaken him and then capture it. Like I said, this time they have been realistic.

I did sort of appreciate that Gou didn't have such an easy time getting Jugon. I personally never had much of a problem with how easy his other captures were, but at least this episode gave a lot of people what they wanted, which was to see Gou struggle with his goal a bit.

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
I did sort of appreciate that Gou didn't have such an easy time getting Jugon. I personally never had much of a problem with how easy his other captures were, but at least this episode gave a lot of people what they wanted, which was to see Gou struggle with his goal a bit.

It's ridiculous to capture Pokemon so easily. It can work with a weak or weaken Pokemon, but most of the times, wild Pokemon are quite capable to resist a capture. You have to weaken them first with a battle. Ash tried to capture a Deerling like that one, and it was a total failure. The same when he tried to capture a Pidgey and some others. But Go has captured many Pokemon effortless: Pinsir, Scyther, Parasect, Beedrill, Venomoth, Stantler, Misdreavus.... etc. It was they were insulting the viewers' intelligence.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It's not necessary to weaken them. It just has a 97% failure rate if you don't.

You know, I've been thinking and an in-universe reason we could give for getting rid of the whole "weaken then try the catch thing" is that Pokéball technology improved in the sense that even normal pokéballs have better catch rates than they used too and now a trainer can try just throwing it. Weakening would be only for the tougher ones.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Not fan of Ash catching Dragonite. Would've prefered him capturing Dratini and doing stuff with it than catching a fully evolved Pokemon. Wasn't a fan of this with Iris and I am not a fan of this for Ash.

Speared

I wonder if the Sakaragi lab will move from region to region after a while. Right now they are in Kanto so Ash will catch Kanto pokemon? Then after a while they move to Johto all the way to Galar where Ash will move to the Gym Challenge. SwSh should have a pretty long active life with the DLC so I can see them having a more drawn out series.

Juaquin

The Chosen One
i will only accept 1 more older pokemon for ash to catch and its either Larvitar or Riolu(not both), the larvitar has to be the one he hatched back in jhoto or no deal, and for riolu the one he bonded with back in DP. his other 3 mons need to be from Galar

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I will only accept 1 more older pokemon for ash to catch and its either Larvitar or Riolu(not both), the Larvitar has to be the one he hatched back in Johto or no deal, and for Riolu the one he bonded with back in DP. his other 3 mons need to be from Galar
Even if continuity wasn't flushed down the toilet, neither of those is going to happen. Larvitar was returned to its mother in the Pokemon preserve on Mt Silver, and Riolu has a kingdom to protect and in the charge of its carer.

Red and Blue

I wonder if the Sakaragi lab will move from region to region after a while. Right now they are in Kanto so Ash will catch Kanto pokemon? Then after a while they move to Johto all the way to Galar where Ash will move to the Gym Challenge. SwSh should have a pretty long active life with the DLC so I can see them having a more drawn out series.
Why would Sakuragi Lab need to move when Ash and Go are the ones mobile and moving from region to region and back?