• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The dumbest thing you did when you were new to pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
- I missed both Snorlax when playing through Red
- used Parasect to battle through the Pokemon cemetery tower thing, a royal endeavor
- used nearly all of my rare candies before applying the Missingno code, which I eventually found one more of in the Pokemon Mansion
- wasted ice beam, rock slide, and earthquake on my Pokemon before Missingno
- used movesets with up to four of the same-type attacks, i.e. water gun, surf, hydro pump, bubble beam
- wasn't aware that bug and ghost moves were attack based (Jolteon says hi). Likewise, didn't know that dragon was special (though it didn't matter)
- Fought the Elite Four for the first time without healing
- didn't save before heading up to meet Bill, and I believe I got stomped, but I can't fully recall
- Game Sharked four Dragonites, each one with complete same type elemental movesets consisting of ice, water, fire, and electric moves! (How was this going to help me, it just looked cool having a Dragonite with ice punch, aurora beam, ice beam, and blizzard.)

I was very much a rook nine years ago.

Sakurai

NO NONSENSE, FOOL!
I did the dumbest thing of all.

There were four options in the battle menu. In these positions, they were:

Fight PKMN
Item Run

I thought there were only two.

Fight Pkmn and Item Run.

So I never changed pokemon and I never ran from a battle until the 7th badge by accident. I was high leveled though.

brodouche

I didn't know you could save. I also got lost in Viridian Forest for like a month. Plus I would have nightmares that Missingno. would delete my game. I finally woke up one night at like midnight and released it.

My team in Red also consisted of: Level 100 Charizard, Level 37 Pidgeot, LEvel 44 Raichu, Level 27 Dratini, Level 23 Pikachu, Level 34 Eevee. Somehow I beat the Elite 4 with that.

Last edited:

Tabby Catty

Courtney loves Ruby
For a week I didn't know to get out of my house.

I did not know how to get past the old man which I thought was a zombie of some sort also in Viridian City and I tried to get past him for like another two months and I had no idea that you needed to deliver the parcel because I just couldn't read

The first wild pokemon I encountered I screamed and turned the game off because I thought an alarm went off and I would be in trouble.

I thought that if you stayed on the S.S. Anne for long enough it would take you some place cool.

My brother was three at the time and he would always get scared when we went to Lavendar town because of the music.

I didn't know anything about the HM flash so I went into the tunnel without Flash and took me five days to get out of there.

I used anime physics when trying to beat Brock, seriously, THE ANIME DECEIVED MEH!!!

When I entered the safari zone because of the music, I would constantly check to see if any of my pokemon were evolving, but none of them did.

Until I got pokemon emerald did I realize that if you pressed the B button, the pokemon would just try to keep evolving as it leveled up unless you used an everstone, I just thought it was permanent.

I thought that as soon as you bought a certain number of candy bars from the salesman at Mahogany he will go away...

I didn't know what it meant by Rocket Grunt I thought Grunt was their name so I was like "Why are all of the bad guys named Grunt or Executive? Grunt is a fish right?"

When I got gold I wanted a smootchum so bad, I tried breed my jynx with another female pokemon

I also accidentally released my Lugia on silver, I was so mad...

Last edited:
I made my blaziken hold the soothe bell for 6 months, even though it had max happiness when i gave it to it. My second best pokemon was a lv. 40 Wailord with cruddy attacks.

Ubernational

Top coordinator
Well I went to a tradeing card event with 50 ghastlys thinking I could get good cards i got laughed at ]:

tThen i let my friend try and clone my Feraligatr. He got deleted, i cried for a week.

qwerqwer

double post...

i killed snorlax in crystal and released the guys turtle pokemon (forgot name) b/c i though it would be funny

thought if you used a rare candy on a lv. 100 pokemon you could get it higher than 100
also thought that if you found all of the rare candies you'd get unlimited rare candies :p

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
- I didn't know you could save, so until I realized you could, the farthest I got was Mt. Moon. -.-
- I don't remember my first team very well. All I remember is a level 90-ish Charizard, a level 37 Pidgeot, and a level 6 Sandshrew. And yet, I somehow managed to beat the Elite 4. 'Nuff said.
- I thought Rare Candies were good and always used them the second I got them.
- My crappy movesets. But I'm assuming pretty much everybody did this.
- I have killed Lugia in Silver multiple times, because "I didn't want it".
- When I caught my first shiny (a Koffing), I thought it was a glitch that would harm my game, so I restarted.

And many others.

Tabby Catty

Courtney loves Ruby
Now I remember some more:

In yellow, I thought that the first girl I battled was Misty, I couldn't read back then so bleh...

I always called a Critical hit as "Cereal Hit" because that is what I thought it was since I couldn't read well.

When in the Pewter City pokemon center, I talked to the jigglypuff and it spun around and sang and I was like no!!! I will fall asleep and never wake up! So I turned my game off.

I was actually trying to catch the pokemon walking around on the screen.

I didn't know that item in Viridian forest was an item, I thought those items were Voltorbs (wait until I got into the Power Plant, yeah... it made me feel sort of right...)

Tabby Catty

Courtney loves Ruby
I just remembered another thing:

You know how if a pokemon can't be obtained in the wild on your game the pokedex will say "Area Unknown" Well, since I was around 5 or 6 at the time and I couldn't read very well, I thought there was an actual place in the game unknown so I looked forever for it, but I couldn't find it!! I pronounced it like "Uhnk-noun" and yeah, and we never found the place "Unknown" after all of these years!

Tabby Catty

Courtney loves Ruby
I just remembered another thing:

You know how if a pokemon can't be obtained in the wild on your game the pokedex will say "Area Unknown" Well, since I was around 5 or 6 at the time and I couldn't read very well, I thought there was an actual place in the game unknown so I looked forever for it, but I couldn't find it!! I pronounced it like "Uhnk-noun" and yeah, and we never found the place "Unknown" after all of these years!

lion6622

In my first Pokemon Game (Gold), I only used Cyndaquil and its evolutions, and I ended up having to train Typhlosion to Level 100 to beat Red. Oh, and it's moveset:
Ember
Flamethrower
Flame Wheel
Fire Blast
Eventually, I deleted Ember for Thunderpunch to defeat Water-Types, and I thought I was a genius. I was 8 or 9. :(

Rex911

Mightyena FTW!
When I first saw A Shiny Wingull I thought it was A super powerful pokemon I threw about 50 great balls and all I had left was A pokeball so I through that and caught it. -_-

Pretty soon after that my Blaziken got Pokerus I was like "OMG MY GAM3 GOT$ DUH VIRUS!!11shift"

Then I let my 2nd Grade friend play my Sapphire while I played his Crystal I taught his Feraligatr Whirlpool and he said "Hey whirlpool sucks eggs!" I said "NOOOO WHIRLPOOL ROX UR SOX!!111 IT KILLED 2 LEVEL 8 ZUBATS"

I also thought that I could get my Feraligatr from Gold to Sapphire I spent an hour trying to do that I was around 7 or 8 lulz

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
Restarted my Gold version because my brother taught my prized level 80-something Dragonite the moves Dragon Rage and Detect, and deleted Dragonbreath and Wing Attack, which eliminated both of its viable attack moves at the time. Didn't occur to me to go back and maybe actually train my starter. >_<

Demeter

Earthen Goddess
Left the SS Anne and it sailed away. I thought that if I waited a year, it would come back.

Killed Groudon with Leaf Blade and saved.

Tried to use the cloning trick on my FireRed, it ended up deleting the file. Strangly enough, this has never happend of my Silver version. I have around 7 eevees.

Used masterball on Dialga.

Took me around 20 minutes to get out of Littleroot. The stupid kid kept telling me that it was too dangerous to go out.

Naming my character Ash in blue and Neon in silver.

Larry

Master ball on pidgey in blue...and was stuck in my house in blue becuas eI didn't know how to leave...

EDIT: Rank up...

Status
Not open for further replies.