• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Duo Splits Up!? Ash & Rotom (1041)

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
Especially since he let Ambipom go to Dawn in a trade and Greninja go on a mission because he understood Ambipom's true dreams and Greninja had to go. So why, writers? Why make him so SELFISH?

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Rotom Dex is literally one of the worst decisions both in game and anime.

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
it was nice in concept, but...in execution...not the greatest.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
after watching the episode full and subbed, it wasn't as bad as I thought, and I liked how ash was feeling guilty after everything even before lillie talked to him, but still, the fight between ash and rotom was still annoying to watch and OoC, just not as OoC as I thought, 4.5/10

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I found that the argument between Ash and Rotom stuck out in this episode. I know that there was a conflict between Ash’s and Rotom’s dreams but then it all got solved when Rotom realised its dream to help Ash reach his goal and become the ultimate Pokédex. One thing is that Rotom has been personalised to an extent that it feels like a human and that is what makes it unique compared to other Pokémon (kind of like Meowth I’d say).

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
So Satoshi actually acting out of character ? Yeah wow way to go writers!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
If he really wants to become the best dex there is, Rotomdex is setting himself up to disappointment. Ash has never seen a Porygon2 and will never do.
Might have done so already. Rotom did his first step by taking a photo of Marshadow when no one was looking. Rotom's definitely a very sneaky one.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Might have done so already. Rotom did his first step by taking a photo of Marshadow when no one was looking.
Which was subsequently deleted because Wash Rotom was an idiot

Screw this episode, because it undoes everything it spent 21 and a half minutes setting up in the last thirty seconds of the show, making Ash and Rotom’s argument pointless because it would've been back in a matter of days since they were only filming one episode

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Which was subsequently deleted because Wash Rotom was an idiot

Screw this episode, because it undoes everything it spent 21 and a half minutes setting up in the last thirty seconds of the show, making Ash and Rotom’s argument pointless because it would've been back in a matter of days since they were only filming one episode
When all of it was basically for plot purposes. I would have doubted that Rotom would leave Ash that early because it would be unusual to not have Rotom being part of the cast for a significant amount of subsequent episodes. But I think it's only significant if it foreshadows how Rotom will leave the cast in the future.

Redstar45

It is poorly done if it was case ....

dman_dustin

Honestly unlike other people, the only OOC moment for Ash was caring about RotomDex this much, Ash has never shown he's cared about RotomDex this much, that he suddenly cares when it wants to leave.

People seem to forget that Ash HAS been upset about leaving Pokemon behind, it's got to suck having Pokemon leave him because of technical executive meddling.

I'd say this is the culmination of everything that has happened. Nebby/Solgaleo, as well as Poipole (throw in Goodra and Greninja). It just makes sense human wise that Ash would be sick/frustrated of every one of his Pokemon leaving him.

Redstar45

Problem is that we never have ash act like that .....sure he would be upset about pokémon leaving him ...but he would never yell at Pokemon like he did in that episode before.

Redstar45

More like our writers ladies and gentlemen.......:rolleyes:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I liked this episode. Ash being upset makes sense, he never understood the appeal of Laki, he didn't understand the reasons Rotom had for leaving and felt like Rotom was ditching him for a stupid show. Was it right of him to yell at Rotom for it? No, he was in the wrong, but Ash doesn't have to be perfect. He's a ten-year-old kid. And he apologised for it later after he had a bit of time to think about it and talked with Lillie.

DatsRight

Honestly unlike other people, the only OOC moment for Ash was caring about RotomDex this much, Ash has never shown he's cared about RotomDex this much, that he suddenly cares when it wants to leave.

People seem to forget that Ash HAS been upset about leaving Pokemon behind, it's got to suck having Pokemon leave him because of technical executive meddling.

I'd say this is the culmination of everything that has happened. Nebby/Solgaleo, as well as Poipole (throw in Goodra and Greninja). It just makes sense human wise that Ash would be sick/frustrated of every one of his Pokemon leaving him.

I feel like this episode might have actually worked if they had played on that, and this episode being the breaking point for Ash, but sadly despite his pained willingness to let Pokemon and companions go being demonstrated well even in this series alone, that isn't remotely brought up as what had caused Ash's acting up in this episode. Even just a split second flashback of Nebby and Poipole could have distinguished this as the straw that broke the camel's back.

I did like the characterisation we got from this pivot, especially Lillie comforting Ash and relating through her own trials with her mother, Ash's Pokemon all blatantly concerned, and of course the blatant bond between Ash and Rotom regardless, but it doesn't change that this is over a lesson that Ash really shouldn't have had to learn, not without demonstrated reasoning. The best implication is Ash's dialogue suggesting he had become dependent on him compared to his Pokemon, though even that wavers given how long he's travelled without him.

As someone who could stand most signs of 'regression' from him in SM (real people do often fall into old habits and make the same mistakes after all) this is the only one I think really contradicts his usual character, even in the OS (though I'll give it credit for not having the same 'You suck, Ash!' type theme to it). Given how I liked most of your SM episodes, this is disappointing, Omode. I really REALLY hope this is just a one off since Ash has been on a good run so far. There's other companions that could use some limelight as flawed characters way more anyway.

Ironic that this episode did actually seem to have some subtle self deprecation nods from the anime writers, with Rotom, an obsessive fan, pin pointing piot errors and the team complaining that the show being long running causes problems like staleness and not always having time to quality check the script. This is wonderfully meta for the show. It's almost like they were apologising in advance.

Last edited: