• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Eeveelutions

CunniJA

Ski Patroller
So, is Espeon a cat, or a dog? Same with Umbreon... cat or dog?

BCVM22

...neither. There might be some vaguely canine or feline features about them, but who says they have to be either?

Babey_blue

Foreva and alwaez...
if espeon was compared to feline and canine i would say that feline is the better guess...

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
They're all fennec foxes. Or at least modeled after them.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
Espeon is based off the "Bakeneko/Nekomata" (Monster Cat) but yeah. They're maily based on foxes with feline like features. I also hear that Eevee and its eeveelutions are based on the "Houkou", a monster wolf that could split into 7 different elemental formes (Water forme, Wind forme, Fire forme, Earth forme, Lightning forme, Metal forme and Wood form).

Last edited:

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Espeon appears to be a fennec fox crossed with a Monster cat.

Umbreon is probably a fennec fox crossed with something else, as it's not as similar to a fennex fox as eevee, vaporeon, flareon and jolteon.

they are all foxes

SmoG878

i'm not dead...srsly
i'd say the're all mutated experiments of eevee (which is a squirrel{in my thought}) given different injections of the formulae (lol, heroes reference).

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I'd say they're foxes, i've never seen anything to make me think they're dogs or cats.

StellarWind

The Sylvan Saber
They're Eeveelutions. Any resemblence to Terran phylum doesn't make them said Terran phylum.

I see both feline (particularily in forms like Umbreon and Espeon - as someone mentioned before, Espeon is based on a Nekomata) and vulpine features in their design. Of course, foxes being practically catdogs (more closely related to canines phylogenetically but displaying a wide assortment of traits more common in felines), it almost makes it redundant. ^^;

Visual

Nine one six ~
The eeveelutions are all based on foxes. Well, Espeon does look a bit like a cat but it's still a fox.

PDL

disenchanted
They're generic mammals, in the same way the Legendary Beasts are collectively known as "Legendary Beasts".

Harris73

MAIL ROOM!! NAO!!
Foxes with special abilities or powers (kinda like those Bakeneko) are known as Kitsune. I kinda say they are more like kitsune. "Stories depict them as intelligent beings and as possessing magical abilities that increase with their age and wisdom." as Wikipedia says.

MKFC

Shade of Blue
They're mammals.