• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Eighth Wonder of the Sinnoh World! (647)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Aww Torterra lost too easily against Electivire, tho at least Pikachu redeemed himself by finally defeating an Elekid line pokemon hee hee. Infernape looked frightening when he defeated Luxray however.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Finally, Denzi versus Satoshi time. By this point in Shinou, I was kind of sick of seeing Elekible in general, so the Nagisa Gym match's highlight for me was Goukazaru's temper rising, and his battle with Rentorar. I was hoping Denzi would use an Okutank and Eteboth like in D/P, though.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I was happy that Volkner was using his Platinum team because it's really awkward to see him use an Octillery. One thing I'm disappointed is the lack of Volkner's Raichu, just whatever happened him?

Alloutℯ

Banned
Volkner was supposed to be the strongest Gym Leader in Sinnoh, so powerful that he gave up battling challengers nonetheless, in both the games and in the anime. There was no doubt that the expectations for this match were high but weren't met.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I was hoping Denzi would use an Okutank and Eteboth like in D/P, though.

I'm guessing that since the Dp saga was moving away from Diamond and Pearl and focusing more on showing us Platinum features, that the writing staff simply decided on giving Volkner his Platinum version team to kind of tie things together.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
There was no doubt that the expectations for this match were high but weren't met.

How did this Gym battle not meet expectations? Volkner was amazing and utilized his Electric-types well and pushed Ash, meanwhile Ash fought back despite some set backs. IMO, only Infernape's win was somewhat questionable.

Shayuin

Banned
Very decent battle. Although, we could have gone without Team Rocket's useless attempts. Infernape actually obeyed during Blaze, that clearly shows its maturity as a Pokemon now.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Volkner was supposed to be the strongest Gym Leader in Sinnoh, so powerful that he gave up battling challengers nonetheless, in both the games and in the anime. There was no doubt that the expectations for this match were high but weren't met.

Denzi met the hype from my point of view. He stayed on top of his game for most of the Gym match by pushing Satoshi into a corner, and if it wasn't for Goukazaru's Ability activating, Denzi's Rentorar would've won.

Daizy

I call you honey
I never expected Pikachu to defeat Electivire. It surprised me. I really hated that hug Ash and Infernape gave each other. It just seem so sappy, like all of a sudden a full grown Pokemon is going to get sentimental.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I liked this battle, it was a fitting return to Gyms after like 50 episodes. Volkner was pretty tough, he’s not super strategic here but he has a good sense of timing and how to take advantage of a battle. His Electivire knowing both Ice and Fire Punch was smart, I liked the usage of abilities when it fought Pikachu. Torterra jobbing was sad. Infernape again being the best and making quick work of Jolteon was great.

The lights going out made for a very effective, atmospheric scene, because right when Infernape activated Blaze and the OST starts getting more intense you have Brock and Dawn commenting on how Infernape went berserk and you get all these flashbacks. Everything just plays up the uncertainty and tension of the situation so well and then….

Ahhhh it was so touching when Ash told Infernape he believed in him. The sincerity in Rica’s voice, the way Infernape grinned, how Saikou Everyday immediately played after. So triumphant and hype, it’s so moving because it’s a culmination of their relationship and how far both Infernape and Ash have come. I was smiling from ear to ear, amazing end to the battle.

The battle itself was good, not my favorite Sinnoh Gym Battle but for sure up there and better than the Candice one. When all is said and done, the Fantina match is still my favorite Sinnoh Gym Battle and honestly I think the best. So many Counter Shield variations and usages, cool strategies, cool setting. I’d put it Fantina > Maylene > Roark > Volkner > Byron > Gardenia > Candice > Crasher Wake, but they were all good in their own way. Excited for the Sinnoh League next.

My boy got robbed :( still an awesome battle