• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Eighth Wonder of the Sinnoh World! (647)

Blaziryu

I thought this episode was good. Ash needs to teach Torterra some ground-type attacks. If it knew any during its battle against Volkner's Electrive, it would've won. Pikachu's performance was okay. It was about time it defeat a Electrive. Infernape's performance was the best out of three. The way it defeated Volkner's Jolteon was awesome. It looked like a Sky Uppercut instead of a Mach Punch. I'm glad it can now control his rage & Blaze ability. This will come in handy during the Sinnoh League.

cauldronmaster

At last one person besides me who feels that gym battle was awesome. I guess all that Infernape hatred had effect on people mind.

Same here. The only thing I could possibly complain about is the excessive amount of TR screentime, but even that is moot point since that has been a problem for years. People who are upset at torterra not winning should read my post on the previous page for an explanation.

Infernape "hatred" will come to pass. They're already reinstating brute-force buizel in the next episode, who in battle dimension, everyone "hated" just as much as they "hate" Infernape now.

And there's nothing nerdy about knowing physics, since it's something that affects everyone in life.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
I can't believe that Infernape just control Blaze ability during the last battle in the Sunyshore Gym. And then Ash recieved the final gym badge in Sinnoh. I wonder how many month do Ash have left before the Sinnoh League Conference? I mean he received it after Dawn's Sinnoh Grand Festival.

turtle twig

I can't believe that Infernape just control Blaze ability during the last battle in the Sunyshore Gym. And then Ash recieved the final gym badge in Sinnoh. I wonder how many month do Ash have left before the Sinnoh League Conference? I mean he received it after Dawn's Sinnoh Grand Festival.

There's nine more weeks after DP182. Which means nine or eleven more episodes. League arcs usually take 7-8 episodes. So we're almost there.

shac

one month. wasn't it what flint/volkner said to ash at the end of the last episode?

If there is anything Ash should learn from this battle, it's Torterra needs a good ground type move. I am not too sure, but it seems to me that 'rock-climb' is being used as a ground type move in the anime.........anyone else gets that feeling?

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
About Rock Climb, did anyone find it really odd that it just retracted into the ground after Torterra was knocked out? I mean rock formations don't just disappear now, do they?

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
About Rock Climb, did anyone find it really odd that it just retracted into the ground after Torterra was knocked out? I mean rock formations don't just disappear now, do they?

They don't often just pop out of the ground though, do they? ;)
This is the classic "applying logic to Pokemon" scenario here my friend!

On watching this again, without my annoyance about Torterra going down and Pikachu not starring, this was a really good battle. It definitely improves upon a rewatch. Blaze powered Flamethrower just looks so awesome, as does Flame Wheel.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
one month. wasn't it what flint/volkner said to ash at the end of the last episode?

If there is anything Ash should learn from this battle, it's Torterra needs a good ground type move. I am not too sure, but it seems to me that 'rock-climb' is being used as a ground type move in the anime.........anyone else gets that feeling?

I see that Ash have one month left before the Sinnoh League Conference. He needs a lot of training to do before he confront his rivals like Paul and Barry at that place.

RWB

Dragon busted by Her
Realatively good battle.

First fight really cemented Ash tactical problem yet again- he's far to offensive.

Pikachu beating Electivire was done pretty well, though Pikachu activating static was a bit DEM-ish.

Jolteon losing in one blow felt a bit cheap, but it was acceptable.

Luxray was awesomely used here, going for the kill all the time.

What I didn't like was the kinda stupid ending. Blaze is awesome, but Volkner not going for the KO while Infernape was walking towards Ash was so glaringly obvious plot shield- we already saw his tactics being to KO even downed opponents(seen with Pikachu and Infernape, before the lights went out). Then he suddenly politely waits when it turns it's back?

>_<;;

Luxray was beating Infer badly until Blaze.

saar

Shiny Flygon
I think this battle was rushed. Torterra and Jolteon weren't strong enough but I liked how Jolteon used Shadow Ball.
At least they didn't have Pikachu getting defeated VS. Raichu again, I didn't want it to happen again in the show. Maybe next time...

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
Infernape is on steroids. Nothing can beat it except for Flint's Infernape. In the end Volkner didn't have a chance in hell of winning.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So it's finally here. The final Sinnoh Gym battle in the DP saga. I think it's been worth the wait. Dawn seemed to be acting as a cheerleader again along with Buneary and Piplup. I thought all three actually looked cute and content despite what happened at the Grand Festival. Anyway, I still cannot believe that the Sunyshore Gym has a robot as a referee and not Volkner's friend Flint or that old man instead. Machines can make mistakes lol. It was at that point that I noticed that there were kids outside, standing near the Gym's door for some reason. Probably to catch a glimpse of the action going on inside. Looks like Flint was giving the inside scoop on Volkner or something. Probably saying something along the lines of how Volkner rarely looses or something.

Anyway, after all the talk going on, we move on to see what Team Rocket is up to. They always do something stupid while Ash battles the Gym Leader and it looked like they set their eyes on the Sunyshore Tower again. Typical, they never learn. Anyway, the battle between Volkner and Ash finally started and then Volkner sent out Electivire which totally ruined my theory of him using his DP team. Grr. Ash chose Torterra since it had the obvious advantage; not being affected by Electric moves. I had a feeling things wouldn't be that easy though. Leaf Storm was sent towards Electivire but then it used Fire Punch to negate the attack! Awesome and I loved that the Johto soundtrack used for battles was played lol. Brock and Dawn seemed worried though, and for good reason considering how effective Fire is to Torterra despite the type combination.

Ash then had Torterra use Leaf Storm again followed up with Energy Ball. I was confused but then I understood that Ash was testing Electivire's endurance and defense. Just when Torterra seemed to have shaken Electivire up with it's Rock Climb, it goes on and loses to Ice Punch. I know it's super effective but it still seems chessy. Ash returned Torterra and sent out Pikachu next. I could tell that was a bad move. When was the last time Pikachu won against a member of the Electabuzz line? I don't recall. Anyway, Team Rocket failed to get in the Sunyshore Tower, that's what they get! I was amazed by how Electivire was able to dodge Pikachu's Quick Attack and strike back with Fire Punch at the same time. Pikachu's Electric attacks didn't affect Electivire because of it's Motor Drive ability and then it sped up! How could Ash not have known about that?

Volkner explained Motor Drive just as Pikachu got hit with elemental punches. I was shocked by it's endurance though! Pikachu's Static kicked in though, and it slowed Electivire down giving Ash and Pikachu the speed advantage and ending the battle with an Iron Tail to the head. I loved it, Ash used strategy by letting Pikachu's Static paralyze Electivire! Volkner seemed impressed but sent out his Jolteon out next and Ash resorted to Infernape. I can't believe Jolteon got a Electric move in though. Jolteon kepting on sending Shadow Ball but Infernape's Mach Punch seemed to be enough to stop most of them from doing damage. Infernape then used the smoke from the Shadow Balls to it's advantage and punched Jolteon out with a single move, winning the battle! I was so impressed, Infernape was "on fire".

Team Rocket continued on their way to the tower's control room and apparently they got Afro's lol. Well Volkner's next Pokemon was a surprise; he sent Luxray but I had expected Raichu or something. Well Pikachu was chosen by Ash to counter Luxray in battle anyway. Pikachu's first attack was hindered by Charge Beam I believe, but it managed to hit Luxray with Iron Tail at least 3 times in a row! I thought it was nasty that Luxray bit Pikachu's tail with Thunder Fang though and then finished it with Charge Beam. Pikachu seemed slightly weaker than usual. Team Rocket made it to the power room of the tower, but got stuck. I had no idea what they were up to at that point. Ash had only Infernape left so it was the obvious choice for the battle against Luxray. Though Luxray seemed to have Double Team which made striking it even more hard than usual. Luxray managed to get two Thunder Fangs in and Infernape looked like it was about to lose.

Just as Ash was starting to use his head and ordered Infernape to use Dig to avoid Luxray, Luxray does the impossible and destroyed the battle field with Iron Tail. That's not even funny, that just shows how much stronger it is than Infernape. Team Rocket messed with the tower's power core and the resulting explosion sent them flying, again lol. Though it also caused a blackout just as Luxray was going in for the kill. Infernape took the oppurtunity to activate it's Blaze ability and things got scary. It looked creepy being surrounded by that red aura and with the lights off, it threw an eerie red glow around the Gym. In it's rage, it's Flamethrower gained enough power and heat to melt parts of the Gym which was shocking to me. Right as it looked like it would attack Ash, it learned to have control over Blaze and it was able to fight Luxray and beat it with Flame Wheel. Kind of chessy but that's how it went down. Ash finally got the Beacon Badge and made it into the Pokemon Leauge in the Sinnoh region at long last. It was too much Ex Deus Machina for me, so it wasn't a perfect episode. Plus the lack of Raichu made me sick so this one gets a 8/10.

raz1337

Miju Miju!
Only 6 days left and I just watched this episode again to see how the ending was. Gym battle, Infernape controlling Blaze and then league information at the end? I can't miss this episode!

Infernape controlling blaze was absolute badass especially with The greatest everyday playing in the background. Looks like the dub has the opportunity to use "We Will Carry On" in place of it.

I can't wait to find out what the dub calls Suzuran Island.

Vernikova

Champion
I thoroughly enjoyed this battle. My favorite battle was probably Pikachu and Electivire's battle and I like that both Motor Drive and Static were both used here as well. I also enjoyed how Infernape was able to control its Blaze ability as well. Can't wait for the Pokémon marathon next week.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Finally! After a year for waiting, Ash's 8th Gym Battle. I was disappointed that the battle was 3 on 3; unlike the games being 4 on 4. I wanted to see Raichu VS Pikachu. Ah well. ><

The battle between Electevire VS Pikachu and Luxray VS Infernape were spectacular! Motor Drive was a nice pickup there from Electevire, but Static from Pikachu was well made out. Epic Ability Battle! Then I enjoyed the Blaze flashbacks where Infernape use to go out of control while activating it's ability. Though I was amazed to see he can control it this time. Just awesome!

Plus, on Volkner's side, I'm glad we saw a Jolteon in the anime (plus HD <3); it's been awhile since the last time I saw one. Shame that Espeon is the only one of the Eeveeloutions to appear in the anime recently or in HD. All the others have (Flareon/Vaporeon- Ursula, Leafeon- Zoey, May/2 Trainers- Glaceon, Umbreon- Johanna)

It's also been awhile since we saw Dawn in her Cheerleader outfit along with Piplup and Buneary in their outfits and pom poms. Just those two are out. It's like the Oreburgh Gym all over again. x3

Glad Ash's final Gym Badge went off with a bang, and earned himself the Beacon Badge.

Did anyone catch what the dub name was for the Suzuran Conference? I know Flint and the Narrator said it, but all I could hear was "Lillian Le something Island". Wow I forget. xp

Can't wait for next weeks episode!

raz1337

Miju Miju!
Well, I woke up at 7 AM to be able to watch this, and they thoroughly took an episode that reeked of badass-ness in Japanese and butchered it.

First, after watching the Japanese episode, I got tired of hearing Team Rocket's lame puns.

Next. Infernape vs. Luxray. In Japanese:

Infernape gets knocked out.
Lights go out.
Infernape activated Blaze.
Infernape goes berserk and flamethrowers everything.
Infernape turns to Ash after Ash yells to calm down.
Infernape walks to Ash while Ash mutters, "I....I.....I believe in you."
Infernape smiles at Ash, and The Greatest Everyday begins playing in the background.
Badass scene begins.

In English:

Lights cut out, Infernape activates Blaze, goes berserk, flamethrowers the walls.
Infernape walks toward Ash, as Ash says, "I've got this covered. Yeah, you know I believe in you."
Infernape nods and smiles at Ash.
Random music without lyrics begins playing.
I get bored enough that I miss half of Infernape's fight.

Seriously. That scene was the reason I looked forward all week to watching this episode in English. Throwing "We Will Carry On" in the background in place of The Greatest Everyday would've completely sufficed. I just want to know....why. Why change it?

This makes me concerned about other badass moments in the rest of the league. I won't spoil that for people who don't want to be.

But, last, they changed the Pokemon League location from Suzuran Island to a new island. It sounded like Liliapaly Island or something. Hopefully someone caught the official spelling with closed captioning.

SmartD

It was an awesome episode. Ash and Volkner's match was full of great moments, like Infernape's Blaze. Now that Ash got his 8th badge, it's off to the Sinnoh league.

Dattebayo

Banned
Infernape has finally control his Blaze ability, which led to Ash's victory. I was happy that Volkner was using his Platinum team because it's really awkward to see him use an Octillery. One thing I'm disappointed is the lack of Volkner's Raichu, just whatever happened him? I guess the writers were aware of his tier position in competitive play.