• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Elusive Mew

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kutie Pie said:
I remember when I was ten, my friend traded over her Mew from her Crystal to my Silver version so I could perform the cloning glitch so we both could have a Mew... but I did it wrong or something and lost it. It was the scariest, saddest experience I ever had lol. Given that the cartridge batteries were inevitably going to die anyway, in hindsight, guess it was a mercy kill? But not really? xD

Losing a rare Pokemon due to cloning gone wrong sounds scary. But in hindsight, if I had known how to do the cloning glitch properly, I would've cloned my Mew in Gen II and traded the clones to my friends just so that everyone I knew could have one.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I got Mew through the Mew glitch. I know that cheating is looked down upon but idc it was the only way to get Mew outside of an event and the Mew events were rare back in the day.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I got Mew through the Mew glitch. I know that cheating is looked down upon but idc it was the only way to get Mew outside of an event and the Mew events were rare back in the day.

I personally don't count exploiting glitches as true cheating, though. Using the Mew glitch can be dangerous since it has a chance of corrupting the save file if done incorrectly, but I still think it's worth the risk to get a Mew.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I miss all the dumb rumors back in my playground days on how to get Mew.You can’t forget the whole “My uncle works at Game Freak so he knows”Sadly lots of people fell for that.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:
Internet rumours that started spreading after Mew was revealed. It's kind of funny how even though the truck rumour was false you could actually find Mew in the games via glitches.

The strange thing is that from what I've read, the Mew rumors began even before Nintendo revealed Mew's existence. I think that some player must've accidentally performed a glitch and found Mew in Red/Green back in 1996 when the games were first released, and spread the information which was then overblown on the internet.

BlueFlameCharizard

The Original Shiny Pokemon
How did you manage that?

It was early 2000's, I was lucky enough to have one of the mall events show up close to where I lived to be able to attend and pick it up. They allowed everyone who attended it 1 once to obtain a legit Mew.

Now I'm debating if I want to get one of those Pokeball accessories so I can get one for Shield. Mew's always been a personal favorite. A Cute little fluff ball heh..

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
BlueFlameCharizard said:
It was early 2000's, I was lucky enough to have one of the mall events show up close to where I lived to be able to attend and pick it up. They allowed everyone who attended it 1 once to obtain a legit Mew.

Did you also receive the certificate of authenticity that was given at most Mew distributions in the United States?

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)

Now I'm debating if I want to get one of those Pokeball accessories so I can get one for Shield. Mew's always been a personal favorite. A Cute little fluff ball heh..
Do you still own the Mew?

BlueFlameCharizard

The Original Shiny Pokemon
Do you still own the Mew?

Em, as long as my save file is still intact... I believe I moved everything over to my Pokemon Silver game...

Think it might be gone. I found my Pokemon Silver game but it doesn't give me the option to continue. Oddly enough I found my Blue and Yellow games and their save files are still intact. I wasn't able to locate my Red game to check it for mew, and I'm not sure if I ever purchased Gold or Crystal...

So Unless it's on my Red, I probably no longer have the mew...

Last edited:

Venomshock

Got Mew in Red by using the Mew glitch that required you to follow a bunch of steps to find one in the wild south of Lavender Town. Never got one from a legit event though

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
Did you also receive the certificate of authenticity that was given at most Mew distributions in the United States?

I remember my friend had the certificate and he showed it off to us until it got stolen from him. It was just a piece of paper but I like how back then Nintendo made a big deal about Mew events.