• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Elusive Mew

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
Mew was the first Mythical Pokemon in the franchise and was one of the hardest Pokemon to get in the Generation 1 games. Did you guys manage to get a Mew in your Red/Blue/Yellow games and if so, which method did you use? One of the Mew event distributions or the Mew glitch?

I used the Mew glitch on Red and Blue because I missed the nearest Mew event distribution back when those happened. I never got Mew in Yellow version though so my Dex in that game always felt incomplete. :(

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Mew glitch, since there were no events anywhere near by.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In Red version, I obtained Mew via the Mew glitch since I didn't have a chance to get it through an official event back in the late 90's. I got Mew in Blue version from a friend who had an extra one, although I had to trade him several of my rarest Pokemon just to get it. It was a pretty unfair deal in hindsight. The reason why I didn't just use the Mew glitch in Blue version was because by that point I was afraid that I would mess up my game by using that method.

MockingJ

Banned
I got Mew from a friend who traded it to me. I don't remember what I gave him in return, but I think the Mew was either hacked or caught from the Mew glitch because it had a nickname and I doubt that the official Mew from the event could be nicknamed.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Dicklaycia said:
I actually forgot to do the Mew glitch while playing through the Virtual Console versions of Red and Yellow, so I had never obtained Mew myself. I may try to acquire one from an event one day.

Does the Mew glitch even work in the Virtual Console versions of the Gen I games? Because I would've thought that Game Freak had fixed such an infamous glitch.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Does the Mew glitch even work in the Virtual Console versions of the Gen I games? Because I would've thought that Game Freak had fixed such an infamous glitch.

I think it was just ported as it was, so the Mew glitch should work via virtual console.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Leonhart

Imagineer
Cometstarlight said:
I think it was just ported as it was, so the Mew glitch should work via virtual console.

Interesting, I didn't know that. If I had, I probably would've taken advantage of it in my copy of VC Blue since I still lack a Mew in that game, but it's too late for me to attempt the glitch.

Dicklaycia

Objectively Better Than You
Interesting, I didn't know that. If I had, I probably would've taken advantage of it in my copy of VC Blue since I still lack a Mew in that game, but it's too late for me to attempt the glitch.
That was my situation as well! I went too far in the games by the time I realized that I could obtain Mew. I’m not willing to start over right now, so I’ve accepted what was lost was lost.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I haven't played RB yet, but when I do I will be using the glitch and putting it on my team. Because to be frank, what other situation do I get to use an event Pokemon in my main gameplay

No, I am not going to get Let's Go just for Mew. Alright, maybe I will

TwilightBlade

I never got Mew in any of my Generation 1 games because there weren't any Mew events in my area nor did I know about the Mew glitch back then. I eventually got a Mew in Silver, but I didn't know if it was legit or not since it was traded to me by some random kid who had cloned a few of them and was giving them away. But I sure didn't complain about the free Mew. :]

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I never got Mew in either of the first two Gen games. I bought a used Silver that had all 251 Pokémon in it including Celebi but looking back, Mew and Celebi were probably hacked anyway and this was about two months before Crystal came out in the US. The battery dying issue caused the game to be erased completely so I can’t be too sure now if the game was hacked or not.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:
I never got Mew in any of my Generation 1 games because there weren't any Mew events in my area nor did I know about the Mew glitch back then. I eventually got a Mew in Silver, but I didn't know if it was legit or not since it was traded to me by some random kid who had cloned a few of them and was giving them away. But I sure didn't complain about the free Mew. :]

Even an illegitimate Mew is better than nothing from my perspective. It was such a rare Pokemon in the Gen I and II era that I would've gladly taken an illegitimate Mew just for the sake of completing my collection if I hadn't already gotten one the proper way.

jaden767

Amphetamine
I did the Mew trick in Blue after my friend told me about how you could make Mew appear using that trick. I don't have the Mew anymore because my game's battery died. :(

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
My Yellow cartridge died long before I learned you could do it in Yellow (I've only seen it done on Red and Blue versions), so once my brother got the Virtual Console versions, I went through the Mew Glitch on Yellow to keep on the team. It's quite satisfying to perform for being one of the easier glitches to do.

I remember when I was ten, my friend traded over her Mew from her Crystal to my Silver version so I could perform the cloning glitch so we both could have a Mew... but I did it wrong or something and lost it. It was the scariest, saddest experience I ever had lol. Given that the cartridge batteries were inevitably going to die anyway, in hindsight, guess it was a mercy kill? But not really? xD

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
I loved how simple it was to get Mew in VC Green! It's the star of my team, and I love how it can use Softboiled.

Opassa

Tunne susi rakasta
never personally had a legitimate Mew from Gen I, used the Brain Boy to cheat plenty of them onto my Blue though

a couple years ago, i bought one of those giant Articuno, Zapdos & Moltres cards, and it came in a big toploader with someone's Mew giveaway certificate behind it - i didn't even know what the certificate was until a few months ago, kinda cool

I had a cloned one called Silent Bob I got from a friend at school. It did the rounds all the way through the school yard, we all had one.