• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The end of an era or the end?

Will the show permanently end when Journey is over?

• Yes, it will

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • No, it won't

Votes: 57 90.5%

• Total voters

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Okay.
I don't see how the show can continue if Ash defeats Leon and becomes the strongest trainer in the world and yes I know him becoming the strongest trainer won't have Ash achieve his dream of becoming a Pokemon Master but what comes next if he becomes the strongest? How do you keep this show going if Ash can't challenge anyone else as he'd be the strongest trainer in the world? They will be out of ideas. Plus, the fact that almost all of Ash companions are making appearances in this series and the absurd amount of continuity we have gotten, it really feels like the show is heading towards its finale for the first time in 24 years. So do you think the show will come to an end once Journeys is over or will there be a gen 9 series with Ash as the MC? (Wonder how will they handle that)

There is the possibility that Ash loses to Leon, if he does, the show might continue but what if it is the end of an era like DP was to OS? and they reboot Ash for the next gen series but a way worse than in BW?

What's the future of the show in your opinion? Is it ending? Will there be a gen 9 series? How would they handle it if so?
I'm all ears.

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
Okay.
I don't see how the show can continue if Ash defeats Leon and becomes the strongest trainer in the world and yes I know him becoming the strongest trainer won't have Ash achieve his dream of becoming a Pokemon Master (friendly reminder in an official interview 13 years ago when an anime staff was staff when Ash would win a Pokemon league he responded that it'd happen in the series' last episode, that of course changed as Ash already won the Alola league so the point here is the series does not have to end with Ash achieving his dream) but what comes next if he becomes the strongest? How do you keep this show going if Ash can't challenge anyone else as he'd be the strongest trainer in the world? They will be out of ideas. Plus, the fact that almost all of Ash companions are making appearances in this series and the absurd amount of continuity we have gotten, it really feels like the show is heading towards its finale for the first time in 24 years. So do you think the show will come to an end once Journey is over or will there be a gen 9 series with Ash as the MC? (Wonder how will they handle that)

There is the possibility Ash loses to Leon, if he does, the show might continue but what if it is the end of an era like DP was to OS? and they reboot Ash for the next gen series but a way worse than in BW?

What's the future of the show in your opinion? Is it ending? Will there be a gen 9 series? How would they handle it if so?
I'm all ears.
Ash's dream involves fighting strong people. If he's the strongest on the planet then there's nothing more to do. Next season is either A L I E N S or new protagonist.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I really don't get finale vibes from JN. On paper this should've definitely been the finale, with the premise of a World Championship involving recurring characters over the history of the anime, but JN's worldbuilding of its multiple regions and the purpose of its past characters is so badly done that it just feels like they're pretty much shoving them in for nostalgia rather than trying to do something significant to tie up the anime. Not to mention, ending Ash's journey also means ending TRio and Giovanni, and they've been more insignificant and absent than ever. So yeah, I don't think JN will be the end cause it feels so aimless and doesn't give off a finale series vibe. Ofc, if this somehow does actually end up being Ash's finale series, then wow what an atrocious way to end it.

Zero1999

Ash's dream involves fighting strong people. If he's the strongest on the planet then there's nothing more to do. Next season is either A L I E N S or new protagonist.
Don’t tell me that was a Burrito reference

Anyway, with how the series is being handled now with no gyms to conquer, this marks the first time the series has broken its tradition of getting certain numbers of gym badges/trials to get a chance to battle the regions E4 or Champion, Ash’s past travelling companions coming back had always given me this gut feeling that this is going to be Ash’s final journey, thinking about it, the whole PWC is about battling the strongest trainers through the world, i can’t predict now what comes after this but this is heading toward one of Ash’s highest points since he could possibly battle the champions or Elite Four members of certain regions

Morax

King of heroes
I really don't get finale vibes from JN. On paper this should've definitely been the finale, with the premise of a World Championship involving recurring characters over the history of the anime, but JN's worldbuilding of its multiple regions and the purpose of its past characters is so badly done that it just feels like they're pretty much shoving them in for nostalgia rather than trying to do something significant to tie up the anime. Not to mention, ending Ash's journey also means ending TRio and Giovanni, and they've been more insignificant and absent than ever. So yeah, I don't think JN will be the end cause it feels so aimless and doesn't give off a finale series vibe. Ofc, if this somehow does actually end up being Ash's finale series, then wow what an atrocious way to end it.
I mean it's pokemon. It'll most likely end with a whimper than a bang.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I mean it's pokemon. It'll most likely end with a whimper than a bang.
You can still end with a whimper whilst also feeling like a finale series lol. Though you're right that Pokemon will find a way to exceed our expectations....end with a whimper with the series feeling like one giant filler

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
Ideally, I'd like a complete reboot - a new Ash and Pikachu in another universe, but with better and more consistent character writing and worldbuilding this time.

If they want to stick with the current pair, then I'd like to see Ash into a full mentor position, where he coaches a gen 9 character as they take part in gyms and the league. And then Ash goes undercover to be the dream crusher at the league - think of Roshi beating Goku and Krillin in one of the Dragon Ball torunaments.

That thread speculates what will happen in the next gen. Here I'm talking about the possibility of the show ending so no, it's not the same.
Oh right. I made that thread to straight-up speculate what happened in Gen 9 Anime series but yours is the end of Pokémon Journeys thread.

So yeah. there's a difference.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I don‘t think that the show will end completely. Pokemon is still a popular franchise, and the anime is a tool to advertise the games and merch. I can’t see that going away.

That said, Ash’s story has started to run its course. There aren’t many directions they can take Ash. Going back to a typical gym challenge will seem hollow after making it to the Master Class. And Ash has done the mentor thing. It has been part of his arc in some way since XY.

Next year is the 25th Anniversary of the anime, and it feels like they’re trying to wrap things up as part of that anniversary. The companion returns, nostalgia, and PWC arc all feel like they’re leading to the end of Ash’s story.

ZarudeSandstorm

i feel like there are 1000 threads on this topic... anyway i think ash and pikachu will continue, pikachu is a mascot and i don't see person b with pikachu except ash.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Doubtful. Franchise makes way too much money for the main anime to end like that. I could see them keep experimenting and if worst comes, they'll just reboot.

Really, worst case scenario I can see is Ash and Pikachu from the AU staying on as the stars. But away forever? No way

Leonhart

Imagineer
Even if Satoshi beats Dande, the writers could still have Satoshi battle other trainers and have Satoshi protect his title. Although I personally think that it would just be easier to have Satoshi lose to Dande the same way that Satoshi lost many Leagues over the course of 20 years.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Geez I can't wait for Journeys to end and Ash to beat Leon, the World Championship is "Just a step towards becoming a Pokemon Master". A step! You'll see that Ash is still around. Besides they'd get rid of Team Rocket if the series was ending so they could wrap up the TRio's story and have them as official good guys. Absolutely no sign of that happening since Giovanni's still just in the background and not at the forefront!

Sinnoh would have been the best place to end it, Looker could have offered the TRio jobs while Ash beat Cynthia, Dawn became Grand Coordinator and Brock goes off to become a doctor. Next time brand new beginning with Hilbert, continuing to Kalos before a new character replaces him in Sun/Moon