• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The end of an era or the end?

Will the show permanently end when Journey is over?

• Yes, it will

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • No, it won't

Votes: 57 90.5%

• Total voters

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I’d like there to be distinct tonal and maybe even genre shifts in Gen 9 and beyond. There already have been in Pokémon, but I’m talking similar to the Precure series. For example, installments like Heartcatch and Hugtto are significantly darker/serious and handle sensitive topics with maturity and respect. Others like Smile and Tropical Rouge are a lot more fun and lighthearted, but still have good writing. And others are like a mix of the two (Fresh, Star Twinkle, Kirakira, etc.). And each season focuses on different motifs and themes, different art styles, different characters, and different endgoals. So even though there’s usually a standard MOTW formula, it never feels excessively repetitive.

I’d like for future series’ in the franchise to do something like this. We could have a dramatic, noir-esque series with lots of action and the detective Ash idea mentioned in this thread. Or a more SOL character-oriented story, etc. The art style, visual aesthetic, and OST could reflect these different plots and genres so each series feels truly unique and refreshing, even with Ash. They’ve done it before to a slightly lesser extent, most noticeably with SM, but I feel like if they want to keep doing this they need to go all in.

I’d like there to be distinct tonal and maybe even genre shifts in Gen 9 and beyond. There already have been in Pokémon, but I’m talking similar to the Precure series. For example, installments like Heartcatch and Hugtto are significantly darker/serious and handle sensitive topics with maturity and respect. Others like Smile and Tropical Rouge are a lot more fun and lighthearted, but still have good writing. And others are like a mix of the two (Fresh, Star Twinkle, Kirakira, etc.). And each season focuses on different motifs and themes, different art styles, different characters, and different endgoals. So even though there’s usually a standard MOTW formula, it never feels excessively repetitive.

I’d like for future series’ in the franchise to do something like this. We could have a dramatic, noir-esque series with lots of action and the detective Ash idea mentioned in this thread. Or a more SOL character-oriented story, etc. The art style, visual aesthetic, and OST could reflect these different plots and genres so each series feels truly unique and refreshing, even with Ash. They’ve done it before to a slightly lesser extent, most noticeably with SM, but I feel like if they want to keep doing this they need to go all in.
Only if it’s too a more mature tone

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
The anime's still popular, right? If so, it won't go off air.

Not sure what the next step is, with the next iteration of the main-series games taking place in the distant past. I can see the series ending, then getting remade, similar to Doraemon. Or I can see a new anime based in the distant past. Or, perhaps, they'll continue this anime, revisiting old regions, or making up a new, anime-exclusive region.

Perhaps Ash will revisit Sinnoh, to promote the Diamond/Pearl remakes? That seems most likely to me.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3

Not sure what the next step is, with the next iteration of the main-series games taking place ion the distant past. I can see the series ending, then getting remade, similar to Doraemon. Or I can see a new anime based in the distant past. Or, perhaps, they'll continue this anime, revisiting old regions, or making up a new, anime-exclusive region.

Perhaps Ash will revisit Sinnoh, to promote the Diamond/Pearl remakes? That seems most likely to me.
I hope it doesnt go to the Digimon and YugiHo route....
For me it is horrible,

SBaby

Dungeon Master

Not sure what the next step is, with the next iteration of the main-series games taking place in the distant past. I can see the series ending, then getting remade, similar to Doraemon. Or I can see a new anime based in the distant past. Or, perhaps, they'll continue this anime, revisiting old regions, or making up a new, anime-exclusive region.

The problem with the whole 'it won't end' idea is that the longer a show goes on for, the more likely it is to jump the shark. We're to that point now in the anime. If it hadn't jumped the shark before, it's in the process of doing so now. I originally believed that the end of DP was the point where the show jumped the shark, but the current series has been flying over the shark for a long time now. The protagonist traveling with Ash in this series makes Tobias look like a Harper Lee character by comparison. It either needs to end, or it needs to radically change.

Last edited:
The problem with the whole 'it won't end' idea is that the longer a show goes on for, the more likely it is to jump the shark. We're to that point now in the anime. If it hadn't jumped the shark before, it's in the process of doing so now. I originally believed that the end of DP was the point where the show jumped the shark, but the current series has been flying over the shark for a long time now. The protagonist traveling with Ash in this series makes Tobias look like a Harper Lee character by comparison. It either needs to end, or it needs to radically change.
It already has radically changed with SM

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Agreed, but neither will happen, we're stuck with Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket for forever.
It already has radically changed with SM
BW actually with Ash's design change in the eyes and the reset he got along with other things like Brock leaving, lack of continuity to the past series in BW season 1, Team Rocket's random 180 personality change, etc. I feel like every series since then has been built off of BW.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Problem is, the show gets a new audience of 8-12 year olds each year. Not sure you can jump the shark with a new audience & new expectations every 2-4 years.

Problem is, the show gets a new audience of 8-12 year olds each year. Not sure you can jump the shark with a new audience & new expectations every 2-4 years.
They already jumped the shark with SM

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Agreed, but neither will happen, we're stuck with Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket for forever.
Honestly, you can keep those characters in the show and still have a radical enough change, to the point where the story becomes credible again. Team Rocket consists of the three characters who have had the most actual development in the entire run of the anime. We've seen that they're not just one-dimensional and we've seen that they have good sides to them. They ARE the Bulk and Skull of Pokémon.

Ash and Pikachu could be developed in a more dynamic way if they allowed the show to explore more serious issues. Have Ash actually find his father, instead of speculative hints that may or may not be true. Maybe he's resentful toward his dad for not being there for him and his mom, and all of those feelings finally come out when he meets back up with him. And then he has to deal with that along with everything else that's going on.

And as for everyone else that joins him, give the series a more serious plot where the villain has the ability to cause long term damage to the setting. Or take the characters out of their comfort zone. Maybe there is corruption in the League, but the main characters have a hard time doing anything about it because attempting to stop it threatens their careers as Trainers.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Honestly, you can keep those characters in the show and still have a radical enough change, to the point where the story becomes credible again. Team Rocket consists of the three characters who have had the most actual development in the entire run of the anime. We've seen that they're not just one-dimensional and we've seen that they have good sides to them. They ARE the Bulk and Skull of Pokémon.

Ash and Pikachu could be developed in a more dynamic way if they allowed the show to explore more serious issues. Have Ash actually find his father, instead of speculative hints that may or may not be true. Maybe he's resentful toward his dad for not being there for him and his mom, and all of those feelings finally come out when he meets back up with him. And then he has to deal with that along with everything else that's going on.

And as for everyone else that joins him, give the series a more serious plot where the villain has the ability to cause long term damage to the setting. Or take the characters out of their comfort zone. Maybe there is corruption in the League, but the main characters have a hard time doing anything about it because attempting to stop it threatens their careers as Trainers.
Tbh the issue is in having to find a way to keep them in the show and away from their goals. I mean even Bulk and Skull's characters had a satisfying conclusion with the whole "I AM A RANGER TOO" scene

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Tbh the issue is in having to find a way to keep them in the show and away from their goals. I mean even Bulk and Skull's characters had a satisfying conclusion with the whole "I AM A RANGER TOO" scene
Well, Bulk and Skull never REALLY achieved their goals, when you think about it. First they wanted to discover the Rangers' true identities. They gave up on that (though they learned them in hindsight several seasons later). Then they wanted to become police officers. They resigned to support their Lieutenant (an awesome moment for them, by the way). Then they became private investigators, and never really went anywhere with that, outside of solving a few small cases. Then they just bounced around from job to job for an entire half of a season. They were the comedy relief characters, often played for slapstick and sight gags.

Yet, they had one of the greatest moments in the show's history, to the point where people still talk about it to this very day. Also, the 'I am a Ranger/I am Spartacus' part isn't their finest moment. It's a good moment, but their finest moment is what they do right after that scene. Their finest moment is getting the ordinary citizens in on the fight to help support the Rangers.

Jessie, James and Meowth do not have to ever achieve their own goal. They can have a 'greatest moment' without ever capturing Pikachu, or any other Pokémon they might be after. The 'greatest moment' would likely have nothing to do with what they personally want. It would be something they would do not for themselves, but for others.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Ash is the only one of the "trio" I'm not really sure of what will happen when Journeys ends
But Iris episode gives a hint: even if she is Unova Champion she isn't done training to become a Dragon Master
So it could easily be the same for Ash, I just don't know what else the writers could come up with for him. Maybe an expanded mentor role?