• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The End of Third versions?

Red and Blue

So now that Gen 7 started without a Pokémon Z or another B2/W2 situation does this mean GF won`t do third versions anymore as of Gen 7 or is this just a onetime thing?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
There's really not much of a point in discussing this. Game Freak is obviously in a very experimental phase right now. It's possible that skipping the third version could be the new normal, or they could just go right back to normal next gen. There's really no way to tell right now.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I really, really hope not. If there were no more third versions, there would be no Pokemon Z or whatever that would be. And by extension, no Trainer Customization 2.0 unless S&M has it.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
So now that Gen 7 started without a Pokémon Z or another B2/W2 situation does this mean GF won`t do third versions anymore as of Gen 7 or is this just a onetime thing?

Masuda was quoted on the matter (don't remember when or where) that he wants to surprise fans, and the BW sequels (B2W2) and the absence of a third version in Gen 6 are certainly good ways in showing that.

However, I feel we will have third versions again in Gen 7 because of two reasons: 1) Masuda's intend of surprising us (a double third version would be a nice surprise) and 2) Since Gen 7 is on the 3DS, we can rule out DP remakes as it seems they only make remakes once on a handheld (GBA had FR/LG, DS had HG/SS and the 3DS had OR/AS)

We should also not rule them DP remakes out completely however, since if they make them on 3DS, it will be another surprise, and it will break the norm ''a handheld gets a remake only once'' that has been formed recently.

Edit: Ash-Greninja'd.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I think that they want to sell games in pairs more than just a single game because it makes more money. Third versions are better than the first pair games but it seems Game Freak is going to stick with pair games for now on. Sadly, I think this is the end of third version games.

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
My only gripe with not having a third version to X and Y were the lack of new Zygarde forms. Other than that, I was content with everything. I just hope they put the forms in Sun & Moon.

I don't really mind not having third versions anymore. Gen V didn't even have that, they had sequels instead. Also third versions always sell less than the first 2 games of a generation. At this point, I sort of wished Game Freak already put the extras from third versions into the first 2. For example I feel like all the extras from Platinum should've been in Diamond & Pearl already. I don't mind playing through the same adventure again but I wished Game Freak would've make the first 2 versions complete so they don't become less valuable. I can live without features like the Battle Frontier as long as there is at least one Battle facility, and Pokémon games still have lots to do even without those extra features. ORAS still had a lot of content despite no Battle Frontier. And contrary to what a lot of people think, I thought X and Y still had a lot to do even though I thought Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 had a little more post game content.

If they make third versions again I will still buy them, because I buy every main series game that comes out now. If they don't that's fine, I still really enjoyed Gen 6. I personally would like to see Diamond and Pearl remakes more than a third version to Sun & Moon.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think its because since they're doing more work on the original versions, they don't need third versions. And with BW2, they wanted to give actual variety to the "remake"

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
I think they just decided to incorporate those "third version additional content" in a different game, instead of a classic third version.

For Gen VI, they put the "third version content" in ORAS. In Gen V, it was in BW2.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I think they just decided to incorporate those "third version additional content" in a different game, instead of a classic third version.

For Gen VI, they put the "third version content" in ORAS. In Gen V, it was in BW2.

ORAS had no third game content and are strictly remakes. Black 2 and White were sequels.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I don't know to be honest, they're too unpredictable right now to know for sure in the future. I would like it if they do another pair of sequel games like B2W2.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Not sure whether no third version for XY is one-off thing due to Pokémon's 20th anniversary but as other users said that since third versions don't sell as well as the paired versions despite all the "bells and whistles" to make them superior to the originals we could be seeing an end to third versions.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
They can't stop the third version thing at least until they've done one for their first ever 3D main series game. Especially when that game had Trainer Customization and all those Lumiose City goodies :'(

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Not sure whether no third version for XY is one-off thing due to Pokémon's 20th anniversary but as other users said that since third versions don't sell as well as the paired versions despite all the "bells and whistles" to make them superior to the originals we could be seeing an end to third versions.

One important thing to note is that while they might not sell as well, being mostly based upon an existing game cuts down production costs enormously. I would be willing to bet that third versions gross more money than the initial versions do.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
As has been mentioned above, third versions reuse a lot of assets, so they presumably cost a lot less to make and take a shorter time to develop. Even if they sell less copies than the original pair, they still sell a lot and thus rake in cash. The worst selling third version, Emerald, sold 6.34 million copies. For reference, that's pretty close to Final Fantasy X, which sold 6.6 million and is one of the best-selling PS2 games.

A lack of profit is not the issue here, because Game Freak clearly makes one from the third versions. They didn't make any for the past two Gens because they didn't want to, not because they were no longer profitable.

Last edited:

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
ORAS had no third game content and are strictly remakes. Black 2 and White were sequels.

BW2 is a sequel, and ORAS is a remake. But both incorporate the "third version extra content" that Bw and. XY lacked.

> BW didn't have a dedicated sidequest (Musicals are too simplistic) and BW2 added Pokestar Studios.
> BW2 added PWT.
> BW2 added Move Tutors

> XY didn't have a Sidequest, ORAS added Contest Spectacaulars
> ORAS added Pokemon League rematch teams
> ORAS added Move Tutors

All those features are usually not found in firts pairs, and are added in third versions, and since Gen V and VI didn't have a proper third version, the "extra content" is incorporated in BW2 and ORAS.

Last edited:

ebevan91

BW2 is a sequel, and ORAS is a remake. But both incorporate the "third version extra content" that Bw and. XY lacked.

> BW didn't have a dedicated sidequest (Musicals are too simplistic) and BW2 added Pokestar Studios.
> BW2 added PWT.
> BW2 added Move Tutors

> XY didn't have a Sidequest, ORAS added Contest Spectacaulars
> ORAS added Pokemon League rematch teams
> ORAS added Move Tutors

All those features are usually not found in firts pairs, and are added in third versions, and since Gen V and VI didn't have a proper third version, said third version extra content is incorporated in BW2 and ORAS.

Speaking of 3rd versions, remakes, or remakes of BW2 more specifically, wonder how they'd handle 5th gen remakes. Would they remake both pairs of games?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Speaking of 3rd versions, remakes, or remakes of BW2 more specifically, wonder how they'd handle 5th gen remakes. Would they remake both pairs of games?

My best guess is it would be based on Black and White with a Black and White 2-inspired post game story, similar to the Delta Episode. Maybe we would even get to learn what the Original Dragon looked like in this story. Probably too early to be thinking about that though.