• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The End of Third versions?

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
While I like the idea, I think it falls apart when the order of sales shows a trend in that the original pairing of a generation sell best, followed then by any remakes, and lastly the third version. As many have likely stated beforehand, BW2 was a refinement of the third version initiative which ultimately didn't pay off, though that may fall into factors outside of those that could be controlled in that stage of the generation, and in retrospect that generation had an abundance of new Pokémon and probably the most JRPG-esque story and still didn't manage to buck any trends. Just going to order the sales of main series games per generation below to further illustrate my point...

-snip-

Gen III
1 - Ruby/Sapphire (2002); 16.22 million units sold; initial pairing
2 - FireRed/LeafGreen (2004); 12 million units sold; remakes
3 - Emerald (2004; GF WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!); 6.32 million units sold; third version

-snip-

So, just to prove a point: remakes have hardly moved from the 12/13 million units sold whereas whilst sequels/third versions are almost as stubborn, they sit between 6.5 and 9 million in recent times. I'm willing to bet a Jigglypuff or two that Sun and Moon will be the best selling games of this generation, followed by any remakes and then by any third versions (which I have a feeling we might or get, I have a strong feeling this generation could be a very rare scenario for us).

"It was the second highest-selling video game of 2005 in North America." - Bulbapedia.. So don't quote me on the source.. ():)

However, I do think you're glancing over the fact that while the idea he is proposing is simply a third version, the effect won't be the same as simply a release of Crystal/Emeral/Platinum during the same generation - as the timeframe in a new generation or two later would allow player to re-experience said region, but with all the new features that have been implemented since than, ala FRLG/HGSS/ORAS. People bought 3rd versions mostly for the extended features, people buy remakes for the nostalgia and for the updates that newer generations would've brought with them in terms of graphics and gameplay. I think that releasing Pokémon Z during Generation VIII would be a smart move.

That being said, all regions are now available to played on the 3DS:
- Kanto: Virtual Console - Now even compatible for transfer to GenVII!
- Johto: HGSS
- Hoenn: ORAS
- Sinnoh: DPt
- Unova: BW/B2W2
- Kalos: XY.

There's no real necessity for more remakes when you can play story, be it original or remake, on the same console. The only places you can't visit in the pokémon world on your 3DS are the Sevii Islands and you don't get the Hoenn Battle Frontier. But lets not lose too much sleep over that. And this doesn't meant that I don't want a DP-remake. Diamond got me back into pokémon - and I played Platinum so much that my cartridge literally fell apart at the seams.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
From what I heard, apparently the creator didn't want to be predictable. At least, I assume that's why they're abandoning third version format. And hey, it worked pretty well with BW2. I can imagine that in Generation 7 they could actually do another region going against expectations. Like perhaps we'll see a region based off Southern France(since with X and Y they only make up the northern half), or another region in Japan. Tohoku, perhaps? It is right next to Hokkaido/Sinnoh

Actually, if they were to do a "all regions" game Tohoku would be one of the closest things to a hub/core region to connect them, being next to Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Actually, if they were to do a "all regions" game Tohoku would be one of the closest things to a hub/core region to connect them, being next to Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh

Hee hee, I'm suddenly reminded of how some fans used to predict that Black and White would take place in Tohoku before the NYC basis was known. I dunno if Sun and Moon will get a third version to begin with, but if they do I'm willing to bet that it would be centered on Alola, not a new region. ^^