• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Eternian Forces Guild

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaltySoul

vytfdtufctuyfj
I typically play on Battle Spot, in Singles, so I just need ideas on what to get so I have more viable mons to use, but I'm fine for the most part.

But (and the main focus is on this next wall of text) I'm trying to get more invested into OU, and because of the bans that are mostly silly in the OU format, it's much harder to translate my typical teams to OU and have much of any success. I got lucky in my first war match here because I was able to sweep with a Scizor that wasn't even my own (it was my brother's) and the team was horrid outside of that. And due to my Battle Spot experience far outweighing my OU experience, I have nothing to remove hazards, since I seldom see them, making a spinner or defogger a waste of a team slot for me in most of my battles, but since I play 2 different formats, this gets in my way.

I need to stop using those 2 (Greninja and Aegislash, mostly the former) BTW, because I've only had a few issues with them, instead of constantly seeing and losing to them.

There's a long and likely extremely repetitive and redundant paragraph (and a bonus second snippet of stuff before it) about my situation. .-.

tl;dr: I suck at OU teambuilding, please ELI5 every aspect of it to me or point me to a guide that is up to date and does the same thing. And thanks if I get help in advance. (and no, XY guides don't count, only this current ORAS meta so I'm fed only currently useful info)

You could search Smogon Forums for team building guides, they have plenty. Or just type in Google, ORAS team building guide. There are loads on the Internet. You said you want ORAS only ones but it doesn't really matter if the article is outdated, it still will give you the basics of team building and some good tips. Also another resource would be team magma team builder. You basically select Pokemon and it tells you all of the weaknesses you have and also the STAB coverage you have, it's really good and can show you weaknesses on your team which you can then improve.

I kind of agree about the hazards stuff. Battle Spot singles is really fast paced so I don't think hazards are as common, so a rapid spinner wouldn't really be 'essential' but if you end up with a mon that has a 4x stealth rock weakness (talonflame for example) I would put rapid spin somewher on the team just as a precaution.

For Greninja and Argislash I'd still go with something similar to what I suggested in my last post. Although you could always search Smogon or Nugget Bridge for something to counter them.
Search for, Smogon OU Spotlight Aegislash. It is a really good article about playing with and against Aegislash. They have ones covering other mons too. ^_^

SaltySoul

vytfdtufctuyfj
I'll see if there's any guide that will help me, but I haven't found much in the past. .-.

Yeah, Battle Spot is too fast-paced to merit many (or even any) hazards, but since I seldom switch unless I have an advantage to gain that outweighs any con, they would rarely do anything, so it's never worth preparing for IMO, although I randomly tried using it in Free Battle and it did help a bit, I suppose.

And I have no issues with those two. I just need to stop using them in a lot of matches to prepare myself. XD

Thanks for what help you have given. However, if you find a guide you highly recommend to me, feel free to shoot me a VM. :D

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Username: Nick Duckinson
PokemonShowdown/Wifi/Both: Both
Join the guild date: 04/09/2015
will you be active?: Yes!
Guild Region: Eisenburg Region
Referrals:
None
Welcome to the guild nick hope you like it here ^_^

Also guys hatched 2 new mm pokes shiny marill and now shiny cleffa today one problem with cleffa its defense is horrible got to keep hatching :/ I still love dat shiny cleffa no lie she will be for fun battles.

Razor Leafeon

The Shadow Remains Cast!
Username: Nick Duckinson
PokemonShowdown/Wifi/Both: Both
Join the guild date: 04/09/2015
will you be active?: Yes!
Guild Region: Eisenburg Region
Referrals:
None
Welcome aboard. :) Good job, you chose the best region ever because I lead it

Also other peoples, don't forget (Or if ya haven't seen it), VM me within the next couple days if you're in the Eisenburg region and ya know, want to keep it that way. Cleaning up the post and anyone who doesn't let me know they're still active goes.

Last edited:

SaltySoul

vytfdtufctuyfj
I'm having trouble finding an ORAS teambuilding guide that tells me the basics of teambuilding... or one at all, for that matter. I've tried many different searches and nothing showed up. Can anyone please help a guy out and link me to one? Thanks in advance. (and I don't want what sets/cores to use, either - those are for another day.)

draco star 98

DESTROY EVERYONE
You could do what I do in battle spot. STRAIGHT POWAH!!! No but seriously my play style is super hyper omega offensive. I hardly use...tank pokemon. If you want a good team...I guess then maybe something like a chesnaught, empoleon and acrcanine team to start with. At least that is what I use. Of course I'm way off the mark on this or something....I'm going to bed I party to hard for my 21 birthday and my head hurts still.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I'm having trouble finding an ORAS teambuilding guide that tells me the basics of teambuilding... or one at all, for that matter. I've tried many different searches and nothing showed up. Can anyone please help a guy out and link me to one? Thanks in advance. (and I don't want what sets/cores to use, either - those are for another day.)

I have a link in the first post for a team build help its slightly outdated though by mcdanger its for x/y but it does give the basics of team building at least you can check it out if you like...

SaltySoul

vytfdtufctuyfj
Probably shoulda added "OU" to that post, 'cuz I'm focusing on that. I might do a balance or bulky offense team, however, since that looks more appealing to me tbh.

EDIT: I'll look it over. Fairy, just for the basics. Still would love one for ORAS OU though.

Last edited:

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Probably shoulda added "OU" to that post, 'cuz I'm focusing on that. I might do a balance or bulky offense team, however, since that looks more appealing to me tbh.

EDIT: I'll look it over. Fairy, just for the basics. Still would love one for ORAS OU though.

well most team builds revolve on the same format no matter what teir it is which of course depends on the style but if you need a list of what is OU you could just check smogon's updated ban list or you could check PS for what is in OU now...also I did learn how to team build decently I could help out if you want me too ^_^ I am not the greatest but I am a decent battler.

tleon

well most team builds revolve on the same format no matter what teir it is which of course depends on the style but if you need a list of what is OU you could just check smogon's updated ban list or you could check PS for what is in OU now...also I did learn how to team build decently I could help out if you want me too ^_^ I am not the greatest but I am a decent battler.

#Fairy Underestimates herself

You probably won't find a guide for OU. Like Fairy said, team building is team building no matter the format. Literally just search 'how to team build Pokemon XY/ORAS' or something similar into Google. There are tons of guides for all different play styles.

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
I would use smogon for that there are lotd of stuff to help you with team building

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-good-cores.3520901/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-speed-tiers.3527024/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-checks-compendium.3545711/

pretty much the core one is very important it how teams work it gives examples of cores and explains them which is how you actually build a good team by using strong cores. the 2nd link is just speed tiers just nothing much to it as for the last one it's a bit outdated but it shows checks and counter for each poke which is very important as you dont want a huge weakness to one pokemon

Last edited:

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I would use smogon for that there are lotd of stuff to help you with team building

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-good-cores.3520901/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-speed-tiers.3527024/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-checks-compendium.3545711/

pretty much the core one is very important it how teams work it gives examples of cores and explains them which is how you actually build a good team by using strong cores. the 2nd link is just speed tiers just nothing much to it as for the last one it's a bit outdated but it shows checks and counter for each poke which is very important as you dont want a huge weakness to one pokemon

yep mcdanger was telling me this a year ago when he was helping me team build explaining me that the core is very important to team building as well as making I make a team that protects all possible threats to my mega which as well as a good synergy team is the key to have a good teambuild ^_^ he help me team build while I had to brain storm what would be better for the team and if I was wrong he would correct me and explain to me why ;) he was pretty helpful back then I wish he was still here though :c

draco star 98

DESTROY EVERYONE
Man I keep making newb mistakes on battle spot. Just the other day I had my infernape right, all I had to do was switch out because my opponent was down to one health and was faster then me. I would've sacked off my gengar then proceed to mach punch then flare blitz the opponents next pokemon to win. But nooooo I just had to stay in. Aside from that I've been doing a lot better with my battles. I'll post a few later today or something.

MooseSmuggler

#DeathToFascists
Man I keep making newb mistakes on battle spot. Just the other day I had my infernape right, all I had to do was switch out because my opponent was down to one health and was faster then me. I would've sacked off my gengar then proceed to mach punch then flare blitz the opponents next pokemon to win. But nooooo I just had to stay in. Aside from that I've been doing a lot better with my battles. I'll post a few later today or something.

Couldn't you have just Mach Punched the Pokemon with one HP though? Or did it have a priority move too? If it did, you'd have been screwed either way, wouldn't you?

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I have posted in the tef tournament section I plan on doing another tournament related to pokemon since the smash one hasn't started so please check the tournament thread of our league which is located in the sub forums please and thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.