• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The EV Sponge : Do you use it?

MasterCharizard15

Manly Eybrows!
Does anyone know what an EV sponge is?

Well if you EV-train during the game, you have to use it.

Well, its a Pokemon that handles any battles that don't give you the certain EVs you need for what ever your training.

I.E.

It battles all those bellsprout in sprout tower if your not training for SP.Atk.

Any pokemon can be one...

So, does anybody use them? Or am I just weird?

overheat

Fire Type Trainer
well, you have a good point with that, but I don't really think anyone uses it, at least no one I know.

MasterCharizard15

Manly Eybrows!
well, you have a good point with that, but I don't really think anyone uses it, at least no one I know.
Most train in the post game so its not surprising.

Why would you EV train in-game? It ruins all the fun.

How so?

Whats not fun about any of you pokes being able to OHKO those annoying trainers that call you constantly...or were just fun to pwn.

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
Out of all the forums I've been on, I have only met a handful of members that do this. It seems inconsistent, especially if your in the wild, for more than one type of Pokemon appear. In bellsprout tower, the game is fixed to only have Bellsprout appear.

MasterCharizard15

Manly Eybrows!
Out of all the forums I've been on, I have only met a handful of members that do this. It seems inconsistent, especially if your in the wild, for more than one type of Pokemon appear. In bellsprout tower, the game is fixed to only have Bellsprout appear.

Or double battles.

Which is why have two would be best.

It was only an example...against wild pokemon and trainners...EV sponges would pretty much handle ANYTHING that doesn't give you the Evs that you want.

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
Or double battles.

Which is why have two would be best.

It was only an example...against wild pokemon and trainners...EV sponges would pretty much handle ANYTHING that doesn't give you the Evs that you want.

Agreed, however, it does not seem to be the most efficient way to gain EV's

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
I personally do not use an EV sponge, but I've dabbled in the idea of using one every now and then. However, it can be impractical, especially if you try to maintain usage of an EV sponge from the very start. For example, if you wish to EV train a starter and use a Zigzagoon as an EV sponge, then you can end up with a well trained Linoone before you can blink (or a more balanced team if you use multiple sponges).

But what's the use of doing it during the early stages of the game? The chances are that your starter or choice of powerful-Pokemon-to-be will remain low-leveled while the rest of your team strengthens. Use of a sponge also requires to either have the EVs given by defeating any given Pokemon memorized or a website that will tell you that information on hand at any time.

Sponges can be a useful asset if you're willing to put the time and patience into using them correctly, but for many players (myself included), simple EV training in the post-game is much more appealing.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
How so?

Whats not fun about any of you pokes being able to OHKO those annoying trainers that call you constantly...or were just fun to pwn.

You can pretty much OHKO any in-game Pokemon without the need for EV training =P

Anyway, I don't use this sponge..er..sea urchin thing, because I don't bother about EVs during the main game playthrough.

might yena

is EVing off sentret
Before my stepbrother introduced me to it, i never even knew it existed... i just used any pokemon with any stats and any nature, and i still managed to defeat the game

Blazicken

Sex on fire
i don't bother ev-training during the paythrough either.

Stardust .

EV Training through the playthrough is boring as hell. I just playthrough and then begin my EV Training. Though when you finish it, there's no real incentive to keep EV Training.

Of cause, that would be totally oposite to people who have Wifi, which I don't.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Yeah it does ruin the fun of the game, unless you are doing a solo-run with an NFE because you kinda have to.

Then it would ruin the challenge!

I plan on running through with an Ash team eventually, using only Cyndaquil, Bayleef, Totodile, Noctowl, Pikachu, and Heracross.

Profesco

gone gently
for many players (myself included), simple EV training in the post-game is much more appealing.

Cain's got it right.

If you want to EV train properly, down to the last detail, you've got to keep perfect track of your effort point accumulation. Trying to do this accurately through general gameplay is going to take some dedicated record keeping. Too much work for me. I'll stick to farming effort Berries during gameplay, then using them to start EV training with a clean slate once I have the time and resources.

Grei

not the color
For me, I'm willing to EV train if a specific Pokemon that I have is in need of that training. For example, if I use Chillarmy during Black and White (and I'm sure I will) I may EV train it in-game to be more of a Physical or Special Attacker. While it won't make a huge difference I'll still do it because I specifically know how I want some of my Pokemon to turn out.

But most of the time, I don't bother EV training. I just play through the game. I don't have the time or interest to play seriously in the Meta Game. I actually sort of like that my Pokemon get boosts in certain stats just from the Pokemon they fight against. EVs are supposed to sort of be "skills" picked up from fighting a certain Pokemon a lot. While I could have my Torterra become speedy from fighting Jolteon a lot, I don't particularly care enough to keep track of my Pokemon's EV's. I just let them train.