• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Extracurricular Lesson is on Mareanie?! (955)

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Yes, thank you! There should be more episodes like this one. First we had some of the cast going out to search for Pokemon to catch, something that I do not think happens nearly enough. An appearance by the boss of Team rocket which is always a plus. I am more curious than ever about what the naked fake pikachu looked like but since the sight was enough to scare Meowth to near death, it is probably better left as a mystery. To top it all off, the search for a new pokemon was a success and the fresh capture already shows lots of personality! Oh yea and Team Rocket were worthy opponents against Ash's team for the first time in about a decade or two.

In my opinion, maybe one of the best episodes of the season so far.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Yes, thank you! There should be more episodes like this one. First we had some of the cast going out to search for Pokemon to catch, something that I do not think happens nearly enough. An appearance by the boss of Team rocket which is always a plus. I am more curious than ever about what the naked fake pikachu looked like but since the sight was enough to scare Meowth to near death, it is probably better left as a mystery. To top it all off, the search for a new pokemon was a success and the fresh capture already shows lots of personality! Oh yea and Team Rocket were worthy opponents against Ash's team for the first time in about a decade or two.

In my opinion, maybe one of the best episodes of the season so far.

Yeah, it really was a good episode. Also, this episode is the reason I even made an account. Mareanie needs to show up more often but I guess since TRio isn't around as often she'll get less screen time.

SinnohEevee

So this light-hearted series has Meowth dying twice because of Mimikyu.
Good for him cats have nine lives in fiction.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Can't say the VAs did well here...except for Lana and TR. I blame the script. Seemed off to me.

I also didn't like removing 'Welcome to Alola' when TR won. That's one of my favourite soundtracks this generation.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
Can't say the VAs did well here...except for Lana and TR. I blame the script. Seemed off to me.

I also didn't like removing 'Welcome to Alola' when TR won. That's one of my favourite soundtracks this generation.

they only kept the TR theme and Alola Wild Battle.

well, it's the amount i expected, but yeah i also wish they kept the alola region theme, that's one of my favorite tracks.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I faintly remember seeing this one in Japanese and being outraged that it used an inappropriately silly-sounding track over Team Rocket's almost-victory (just another item on the Japanese version's track record of having totally unfitting music). But I vividly remember being excited upon seeing Meowth die, as I consider him to be the absolute worst thing about the JP version. Pity he survived...

Needless to say, this is another unpleasant JP version viewing memory erased by seeing it all become better in the dub. Acting was improved, writing was improved, music was improved. Oh, and the censorship? Inconsequential. The episode survived without it. It was no better for it, nor was it worse for it.

Can't say I missed that whole shtick of James owning a Pokemon who's madly in love with him, but despite my ambivalence to it, I liked its return in the form of Mareanie.

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

First barfing, now fake deaths?

What, is turning into stone more deathly appropriate?
Creatures or humans turning into stone isn't exactly fatal in the anime, as viewers (especially children) will think it just turn into a statue. A statue isn't exactly a corpse. But having "death-like" scene for any creature or human can be terrifying, as then you're lifeless forever. Meowth looking dead in the water is like Meowth drowned, and it's horrifying to see a creature drown, in real-life or anime. You don't want them to have horrifying memories or images come to senses or thinking the young viewers will think about ending up in a situation like that. Shame, but that's the world we live in. Japan doesn't care.

"WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?"

But alas, looking forward to the English dub tomorrow.

DatsRight

Creatures or humans turning into stone isn't exactly fatal in the anime, as viewers (especially children) will think it just turn into a statue. A statue isn't exactly a corpse. But having "death-like" scene for any creature or human can be terrifying, as then you're lifeless forever. Meowth looking dead in the water is like Meowth drowned, and it's horrifying to see a creature drown, in real-life or anime. You don't want them to have horrifying memories or images come to senses or thinking the young viewers will think about ending up in a situation like that. Shame, but that's the world we live in. Japan doesn't care.

"WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?"

But alas, looking forward to the English dub tomorrow.

I can understand the graphicness of such cases, but they bothered fully dubbing an instance where a character turns to the stone, and the whole premise turns out to be that they won't change back, thus are effectively dead. That if anything is an even crueller tease to kids than a clear death (which ironically wasn't even true here :p). Oh and a guy dies of old age too.

Granted I still don't get why they dubbed that XY special over the Clemont/Cilan one, most dub fans likely wanted that one anyway.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Ugh... I'm still scared how a certain episode is going to be handled when it's time to be dubbed is here. Censoring a very minor death like this?
Once again though, Team Rocket's dub actors prove to be the best of this saga's.
I think this is the first time they got the "Whose that Pokemon?" thing in awhile too

I can understand the graphicness of such cases, but they bothered fully dubbing an instance where a character turns to the stone, and the whole premise turns out to be that they won't change back, thus are effectively dead. That if anything is an even crueller tease to kids than a clear death (which ironically wasn't even true here :p). Oh and a guy dies of old age too.

Granted I still don't get why they dubbed that XY special over the Clemont/Cilan one, most dub fans likely wanted that one anyway.

Agreed. It's sad we never get those specials involving older characters coming back anymore. I wanted to see Cilan's VA come back, he was the best choice to voice Cilan.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Ugh... I'm still scared how a certain episode is going to be handled when it's time to be dubbed is here. Censoring a very minor death like this?

It didn't matter to the episode at all to have lost that part. Plus, I don't think there's anything to worry about since

even the Japanese version was too afraid to refer to Stoutland's fate as death.

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
This is why I don't watch the dub anymore because they can be incompetent sometime. Also I think kids can handle death

Flame Haze SnS

Yin-Yang
Oh boy, they really did edit out Meowth's 'death' via 'drown'...

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
Apparently we're way past Celebi death territory? Such nonsense I'm sure if kids handled that they could stomach this too... Not sure what's holding them back whether it be the FCC or Disney XD asking they edit out or they get a new channel to broadcast them. Or I'm just being taking this out of proportion and TPCi themselves saw it to be too dark. But there are times I agree with a dub edit like the Mannequin Pis in "Hoopa the Mischief Pokémon" but this was not one of them. I think Dav Pilkey had the right idea. Don't say "I don't want children to see this." The appropriate way to handle it is to say "I don't want my children to see this." Don't decide for others.
Unbelievable.
8/10
Perfect score had it not been censored.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
So where did the episode air yesterday for everybody to have seen it yesterday? On Disney XD it aired this morning.

Anyway, this episode was overhyped as all hell. As much as I try to avoid spoilers, I found out that "TR beats Ash" in this episode due to OshyHikari in the dub titles thread. What was that?? I thought for sure Pikachu and Rowlet would both go swirly eyes. What an overrated episode.

3/10

Actually, no, +1 for the Ekans and Koffing lures

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
TR goes to catch new Alolan Pokemon. *they are shown catching oldies instead*

...How did that Poke Ball not suck in that Cloyster? That is so hax. And it even ate it?

The victory TR got over Ash was just too sudden. It all barely lasted 3 minutes, Jessie didn't say a lot of commands, and just let Mimikyu do its own thing...which means when they're in control, they lose. Ha ha.

Oh boy. Hazardous beastiality for James. He will suffer once more.

...And I still consider the censored scene stupid. Has there been a lot of censors in XY?

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yay! Team Rocket episode! Even more yay! James has an overly-affectionate Pokémon for the first time since Carnevine in Sinnoh, I missed that gag. I'm very happy right now.

Anyways, the episode was pretty amusing. Definitely one of the best Sun and Moon episodes so far. It was a little lacking in the plot department, but not nearly as bad as the last several episodes. I loved Mimkyu as always, and Mareanie is going to be a wonderful addition. I was fully expecting Bewear to be James' Pokémon for the season, but Mareanie is good. Loved the callback to Koffing and Ekans, that was just great.

And what's this death edit that everyone's complaining about? Would someone care to explain to someone who only watches the dub.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Yay! Team Rocket episode! Even more yay! James has an overly-affectionate Pokémon for the first time since Carnevine in Sinnoh, I missed that gag. I'm very happy right now.

Anyways, the episode was pretty amusing. Definitely one of the best Sun and Moon episodes so far. It was a little lacking in the plot department, but not nearly as bad as the last several episodes. I loved Mimkyu as always, and Mareanie is going to be a wonderful addition. I was fully expecting Bewear to be James' Pokémon for the season, but Mareanie is good. Loved the callback to Koffing and Ekans, that was just great.

And what's this death edit that everyone's complaining about? Would someone care to explain to someone who only watches the dub.

Just after Meowth looks at Mimikyu, Jessie and James look to Meowth and tell him to stop playing around. Meowth is face down and "drowning" in the water. A shot later he's back on land and has a deathly look on his face as his spirit enters his body. Returns to how he normally looks and exclaims he nearly went to the afterlife.

The dub edit has Jessie briefly look to Meowth and then cut to Meowth in his normal state before he wakes up.

Last edited: