• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Extracurricular Lesson is on Mareanie?! (955)

I love Ash, he's probably my favorite character, but it's so nice to see him struggle against TR and pretty much lose. I'm glad the writers have stepped away from portraying Ash as a bland battle robot who barely struggles with anything ever. I don't need to see Z-moves spammed out uselessly. They're going to get really boring really fast if he uses them in every single battle.

Not even that big of a fan of TR, but this was a great episode for them. It was funny, they were great, and James caught a new Pokémon. I haven't enjoyed TR this much since...probably Hoenn.

SM continues to impress me.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Sweet Arceus, are my eyes playing tricks on me? Did Team Rocket actually defeat Ash in a battle? :eek: *mind explodes*

Well, as NegaiFreak pointed out, Ash was at a disadvantage here. Mareanie has the type advantage over Rowlet; and Mimikyu is always out for Pikachu's blood. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about Team Rocket actually being a legitimate threat to Ash and his friends this series. On the one hand, seeing them get curbstomped all the time is boring. On the other hand, I don't like them, so I don't like it when they have the upper hand.

Mareanie crushing on James is both cute and hilarious. (I guess it's safe to assume this Mareanie is female, then?) And Mimikyu continues to petrify Meowth by just existing.

I loved the interactions between Ash and his classmates, especially the splash war between the boys and the girls. It was nice to see all of them--including the serious Kiawe and the reserved Lillie--have fun and act like children. I got a chuckle out of Sophocles yelling at Kiawe to come help him and Ash against the girls. The sparkly-eyed look on Rockruff's face before it rushed to join the party was all kinds of adorable. I also liked the race between Ash and Kiawe, and that fist bump they shared. (Bros for life!)

Oooh good point phanpycross, now I want to see Ash's reaction to it's neck breaking

That's called Nightmare Fuel. I can already imagine Ash and Pikachu's faces turning blue in horror.

Bulbapedia says that Jessie's Mimikyu's ability is unknown. And in SM004, it wasn't hit by any move before and was still hit by Rowlet's Leafage.

Bulbapedia isn't the most reliable source, since it relies on user input. Jessie's Mimikyu's ability is listed as "unknown" only because it hasn't been explicitly stated in the anime, but since the Mimikyu species' ability is Disguise, it's safe to assume that Jessie's Mimikyu's ability is also Disguise.

NPT

Just a member
4.5/10
The first half of this episode was okay, but the second half was... rather mediocre. I didn't like Ash almost losing to Team Rocket. Damn that Mimikyu!

The TR battle really put a damper on my mood tbh. Hopefully the next episode will be better.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Sweet Arceus, are my eyes playing tricks on me? Did Team Rocket actually defeat Ash in a battle? :eek: *mind explodes*

Well, as NegaiFreak pointed out, Ash was at a disadvantage here. Mareanie has the type advantage over Rowlet; and Mimikyu is always out for Pikachu's blood. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about Team Rocket actually being a legitimate threat to Ash and his friends this series. On the one hand, seeing them get curbstomped all the time is boring. On the other hand, I don't like them, so I don't like it when they have the upper hand.
In the episode Do I hear a Ralts? TR was also pretty much beating Ash and co. until the battle was interrupted. Anyway I'm still salty about TR beating Ash, I just hated it.

That's called Nightmare Fuel. I can already imagine Ash and Pikachu's faces turning blue in horror.

Bulbapedia isn't the most reliable source, since it relies on user input. Jessie's Mimikyu's ability is listed as "unknown" only because it hasn't been explicitly stated in the anime, but since the Mimikyu species' ability is Disguise, it's safe to assume that Jessie's Mimikyu's ability is also Disguise.
That still doesn't contradict my claim that Ash would've easily won if he used a Z-move. phanpycross is saying that Mimikyu's ability would have negated the Z-move, but Mimikyu was hit by Rowlet's Leafage, so even if it had Disguise, it would have been broken then and a Z-move afterwards would have sealed an easy win for Ash.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
That still doesn't contradict my claim that Ash would've easily won if he used a Z-move. phanpycross is saying that Mimikyu's ability would have negated the Z-move, but Mimikyu was hit by Rowlet's Leafage, so even if it had Disguise, it would have been broken then and a Z-move afterwards would have sealed an easy win for Ash.

I wasn't even trying to contradict your claim that Ash would've easily won if he used a Z-move. (How did you even come to that conclusion? I said nothing about Z-moves in my post.) I was merely pointing out that Bulbapedia isn't the most reliable source, since anyone can edit it. Just because Jessie's Mimikyu's ability is listed as unknown on Bulbapedia doesn't mean that Disguise isn't its ability.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I wasn't even trying to contradict your claim that Ash would've easily won if he used a Z-move. (How did you even come to that conclusion? I said nothing about Z-moves in my post.) I was merely pointing out that Bulbapedia isn't the most reliable source, since anyone can edit it. Just because Jessie's Mimikyu's ability is listed as unknown on Bulbapedia doesn't mean that Disguise isn't its ability.

Well, I understand that, but I'm just pointing to the arguement that was already going on regarding Mimikyu's ability negating the Z-move.

johno1995

TR being a legitimate threat is nice. I don't see them "beating" Ash very often, but having that battle was refreshing. It's nice to see the strength of Mimikyu has stayed consistent. It seems that whenever they catch some great Pokemon (Seviper & Yanmega, come to mind...) they are just punching bags. Mimikyu retains its strength and its bloodlust for Pikachu keeps it a threat.

I liked the overall tone of this episode; comedic and fun and I loved seeing Ash and his classmates' interactions. Mareanie will be a nice addition to the cast too. Hopeful that it will become Toxapex by the series' end so that it can take its gag to the next level XD

SkittleBox

Fanfiction writer
Yay! It's Thursday! Time to watch another episode of the S/M anime-

*record scratch*

WHAT

DID TEAM ROCKET BEAT ASH

Finally, the TRio are here! They aren't curbstomps anymore! I know we should be bemoaning Ash's loss, but I just can't, the TRio won! Sure hope they (and Mimikyu the monster) stay this way through the entire series, we'll actually see Ash putting effort into beating the TRio. Finally, my favorite lovable losers are even more lovable to me!

Now the second phase of the episode discussion: all the people screaming "wHAT IS ThiS hE is rESET in s/M!!!11!1one!"

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Let's see if TR can keep the momentum in the next confrontation.

Unless Bewear Ex Machina happens again.

I wish we could get a new batch of anime avatars already... So many good shots.

Jesus christ there's already a debate about this, that's gotta be a new record

Well, guy who started it has some really strong emotions...

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Even though this episode was more focused on Team Rocket, I liked it. :)

I knew that was a water gun that Sophocles had, just thought he was going to shoot Prof Kukui and not Rotomdex lol, but Sophocles has been enamored with Rotomdex in a sense since the beginning it seems hehe. Anyway, the whole scene with our characters at the beach, splashing water on each other and having a good time was 2cute. I liked seeing Bounsweet do something for once, Rockruff getting excited and wanting to join in, Mallow dragging Lillie over at first (they're definitely BFF imo), Sophocles motioning for Kiawe to come over, etc...was nice to see everyone having a good time at the beach. The same can be said for at the end when they're smacking around a Popplio balloon. I hope we get more interactions like this with every one involved at the same time.

As for Team Rocket, I honestly don't know what to think, except...LMAO!!! They finally get the best of Ash, beat him in a battle, and Bewear takes them away to ruin their glorious moment, unbelievable lol. I will say this though, they do get bonus points for using the Koffing and Ekans lures and I do agree with their reaction to Mimikyu when it was out of the water (that was creepy looking lol).

Ok, well let the overreaction Thursday continue with Team Rocket and Ash.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
TR being a legitimate threat is nice. I don't see them "beating" Ash very often, but having that battle was refreshing. It's nice to see the strength of Mimikyu has stayed consistent. It seems that whenever they catch some great Pokemon (Seviper & Yanmega, come to mind...) they are just punching bags. Mimikyu retains its strength and its bloodlust for Pikachu keeps it a threat.

I liked the overall tone of this episode; comedic and fun and I loved seeing Ash and his classmates' interactions. Mareanie will be a nice addition to the cast too. Hopeful that it will become Toxapex by the series' end so that it can take its gag to the next level XD

Considering Team Rocket has just as much, if not more experience than Ash, it really goes nicely with them doing well. They should never just be punching bags, especially at this point. Jessie even has experience in contests and using show moves, so she should even have skill beyond a move spammer. If anything they should be able to easily beat Ash (except for z moves) due to it being two vs one. But if Ash has a friend than he'd always win type deal.

DatsRight

Disappointing episode! TR beating Ash?!?!?! Common, Ash was shown so competent in battles in the previous episodes. Common Ash, when the going got tough, why couldn't you use a Z-move??? 2/10. 2 points only because James caught a new Pokemon.

I usually call bull whenever the twerps seem to be holding back on an opponent like TR for the sake of cheap plot suspense, though at least in this case it had validity. Ash was separated from the rest of the group, has only two Pokemon and TR are actually putting up a frantic enough pace to make pulling off a Z Move difficult.

Even besides that, you forget that there are plenty of times where TR manage to faint a Pokemon of the twerps (or at least are on the verge of doing so before a deus ex machina kicks in). Even in XY, Pikachu was usually useless against Wobbuffet until something saved him, and he and Eevee got decimated by Inkay in an XYZ episode until Eevee miraculously evolved.

This has potential, the trio's Pokemon are formidable, and they actually seem to be sticking to that for now. I just hope they actually do something with it. As many have said, TR have gained trump cards before, but rather than have the twerps grow and adapt to stopping them at fuller power, they just....stop being a threat all of a sudden. XY in particular was lazy, they had badass Wobbuffet and Inkay and Pumpkaboo were fairly dangerous, even Meowth did some half decent participation on odd occasions. But rather than using this to any real effect, whenever they were doing a good job, something would just save the twerps, and eventually they were dumbed down to normal curb stomp mode (Serena in particular never got remotely better at battling thanks to this, keeping in mind she cowered before Meowth early on, TR were almost anti development for her as they didn't attribute much to her besides making her more complacent). Bewear already may act as a omen to such since it has a habit of coming in whenever TR are doing too good a job. I want to see more moments TR are challenging....and the twerps prove they can handle it.

That said, as it is, this episode was good, and it was great to see TR actually score a win. It helps even more that TR actually had the bigger sympathetic focus and were still comical throughout the whole thing. Who couldn't feel a little good for them when they had their happy fit. They actually did it! THIS is how you convey TR doing competent stuff.

This is quite an....interesting team for the TRio so far. Mareanie seems likeable. She (I take that it's a she anyway) goes one step above even the usual over affectionate Pokemon by being IN LOVE WITH James. I don't get why Wobbuffet's still not getting to show his stuff though. I also thought they didn't do much with the twerps' story, I kinda expected them to really want to take advantage of a beach episode, being an anime, but as mentioned TR having the bigger focus did work okay.

Last edited:

Epicocity

I feel, in some way, that James was really the one to win as Jessie seems to just kind of tell Mimikyu to do whatever it wants to do in the service of eradicating Pikachu's existence. Is it bad that I found that battle better than Ash vs. Hala, though?

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
I feel, in some way, that James was really the one to win as Jessie seems to just kind of tell Mimikyu to do whatever it wants to do in the service of eradicating Pikachu's existence.
Me too. I feel like James is the winner in this episode, not just because of the battle and capture, but because he always has to sit there and deal with Jessie's stupid antics, yet still comes out being positive in the end.

She gave up on fishing, looks pathetic in trying to catch the Cloyster (even the look on Cloyster's face when its swimming away and how it spit out the pokeball confirms it), and then throws her usual tantrum because a Wingull stole her donut. I honestly always feel bad for bad James, at least he was trying different ways to get a Pokemon, but Jessie just sits there and does nothing or throws a tantrum. If it wasn't for the plot and James needing a Pokemon, I bet Jessie would've tried to catch the Mareanie for herself (like she tried catching Cloyster). I wish the writers would change her attitude already because it's more annoying than it is funny.

Epicocity

Me too. I feel like James is the winner in this episode, not just because of the battle and capture, but because he always has to sit there and deal with Jessie's stupid antics, yet still comes out being positive in the end.

She gave up on fishing, looks pathetic in trying to catch the Cloyster (even the look on Cloyster's face when its swimming away and how it spit out the pokeball confirms it), and then throws her usual tantrum because a Wingull stole her donut. I honestly always feel bad for bad James, at least he was trying different ways to get a Pokemon, but Jessie just sits there and does nothing or throws a tantrum. If it wasn't for the plot and James needing a Pokemon, I bet Jessie would've tried to catch the Mareanie for herself. I wish the writers would change her attitude already because it's more annoying than it is funny.

Yeah, it seems like she's the one who really regressed in development from XY most of all where she seemed to gain a slice of humility...that's all gone now. Oh, and it was a malasada that Wingull stole, I believe. (At least Jessie shouted it enough times).

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I feel, in some way, that James was really the one to win as Jessie seems to just kind of tell Mimikyu to do whatever it wants to do in the service of eradicating Pikachu's existence.

Jessie just takes advantage of Mimikyu's bloodthirsty hatred for Pikachu and sends it out to do whatever it wants; she doesn't give it any guidance or even any commands. It makes me wonder if Mimikyu would actually obey Jessie in battle if Pikachu weren't its opponent.

She gave up on fishing, looks pathetic in trying to catch the Cloyster (even the look on Cloyster's face when its swimming away and how it spit out the pokeball confirms it), and then throws her usual tantrum because a Wingull stole her donut. I honestly always feel bad for bad James, at least he was trying different ways to get a Pokemon, but Jessie just sits there and does nothing or throws a tantrum. If it wasn't for the plot and James needing a Pokemon, I bet Jessie would've tried to catch the Mareanie for herself. I wish the writers would change her attitude already because it's more annoying than it is funny.

Jessie got on my nerves in this episode, even more than usual. James was at least actually trying to catch a Pokémon; the Corsola disguise was actually pretty clever (and look, it actually worked!). Jessie, on the other hand, seemingly put in next to no effort. She lost her patience with fishing, her attempt to catch Cloyster was pathetic, and she showed zero interest in even trying to help James. And then she looked totally bored while her poor, poisoned teammate was being chased by a lovestruck Mareanie. Seriously, Jessie, stop being such a *****.

Oh, and it was a malasada that Wingull stole, I believe. (At least Jessie shouted it enough times).

Apparently, they're calling them "malasada doughnuts." (They do look like jelly-filled doughnuts.) Maybe that's for the sake of the audience? Japanese kids (and most Western kids, for that matter) probably know what doughnuts are, but not what malasadas are. Just hazarding a guess.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
My review is overdue. Lets get this done with, th... this episode... was amazing as usual!!! :D Water type Bayleef returns alongside with James' old hugging gag all tucked up in one beautiful poisonous Hidoide. These women are vicious this episode!! Onto the good points:

-My favorite character James finally has a focus episode!!!

-Bewear guarding the hideout like he's tough stuff. That just looks terrifyingly funny

-I like their facial expressions. Everyone's just lounging around, Mimikyu walking around creepily, and everything is so wonde- THE BOSS!! The way they try to get ready HAHAHAA!!! Wobbuffet sticking a whole fruit down his throat. xD

-Giovanni is looking sleek and menacing with his Persian and secretary. I think her hair got a bit longer as well.

-Jessie, you vicious woman throwing that glass R ball at the wall!

-They're thinking about maybe catching Bewear... their theme from XY(&Z) plays!!

-Ash stretching one arm fully while the other not as much and Pikachu's holding on to his head. And they're running alongside the beach together :)

-Ahhhh!!! Mao chan and Lillie together!!!! :D Wait what the... is Kiawe rubbing sunscreen on Bakugames?! :eek:

-Togedemaru is cute :3 Lana, DON'T STRIP IN FRONT OF ME!! D:

-Haha, Pikachu's using his tail to splash water

-The whole scene where everyone's splashing water and playing together was really fun!! Even Lillie's egg is jumping for joy! So great to see Mao chan encouraging Lillie to get in the water but sadly, we didn't see Kiawe back up the guys! :( Bounsweet, you merciless leaf blower!! Rockruff is too cute... :3

-Koffing, Golden Meowth, and Ekans!!! Them throwbacks!!! :eek:

-BWAHAHAHA!!! That sleeping Cloyster ate the Pokeball and spit it out as it angrily left them!!

-Ash lost the swimming race. Loved the detail of their hair looking a mess. Brofist!! That transition where Ash falls into the water for safety lol!

-Mimikyu looks like it's having fun floating in the water!!

-Did Meowth just died?! That violin music playing though. Comedy gold right there!

-MIMIKYU'S FACE!!! What happened?! It looked so miserable.

-Wonder who's sandal that was? Wobbuffet is such a great standby guy.

-James swims like a frog lol

-Hidoide crushing hard on James, he is very handsome :3

-Sometimes I feel like Meowth is Jessie's Pokémon, just noticed they were going to attack but that battle was really good!

-TR finally beat Ash?! HORRAYY!!!! They're so emotional! :.)

-Yay!! Mao chan gets the last hit/scene!

-Jessie, you vicious woman! Taking all the honey and leaving nothing for Wobbuffet. But that last scene was really cute

-Hidoide vision lol. Hidoide is captured!!

Bad points:
-Not seeing Kiawe cover his fellow men back in the Splash Wars

-Lana stripping in front of us...

Really entertaining episode, I think I enjoyed it more than the last one by a little bit. Lady Lana screentime is always appreciated. It's too bad Ash couldn't find a Pokémon like everyone else (I really liked seeing Mao chan and Bounsweet observing the sleeping Pichu, Lillie frightened by the fighting Mankey, and Mamane sticking his tongue out with Togedemaru at the Shellder). Watching everyone having a good time is refreshing to see after having serious episodes. I really really liked it that TR finally won against Ash, they earned it after so long and they have 2 competent Pokémon at their side. Darn Bewear had to interrupt them for sneaking out of their hideout lol. Also seeing Giovanni again (and his design is one of the best!) was nice. It felt like I haven't seen him so menacingly since BW. I wish he'll return again.

Last edited:

racal

Thanks for updating James' biography on Serebii's website after today's episode.

Can I please just ask a question: the guy who wrote Mareanie's description, where did he learn English? :D
"Mareanie was where it bonded with James after mistaking James for a Corsola but then bonded after realising James looked a bit like a Mareanie and eventually joined James to help him out in battle but has a habit of hugging James on the face, causing James to get poisoned. It has the moves Spike Cannon and Sludge Bomb at its disposal"