• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Extracurricular Lesson is on Mareanie?! (955)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Even the sharp-eyed can tell Meowth's position is off from one scene to the other. He was leaning off the rocks, then the next shot, he is lying down several feet away...facing the opposite direction.

Flame Haze SnS

Yin-Yang
And what's this death edit that everyone's complaining about? Would someone care to explain to someone who only watches the dub.

If you compare the subbed first when Meowth 'drowned' after looking at Mimikyu's 'inside' and Meowth's 'ghost' returned to him after rescued, then check the dubbed and it's completely gone, as in completely edited out.

You could check the youtube if they're there or somewhere else on different sites.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Even the sharp-eyed can tell Meowth's position is off from one scene to the other. He was leaning off the rocks, then the next shot, he is lying down several feet away...facing the opposite direction.

This is my biggest problem with it. I understand why companies do censor but the editing of this censorship is very poor.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Just after Meowth looks at Mimikyu, Jessie and James look to Meowth and tell him to stop playing around. Meowth is face down and "drowning" in the water. A shot later he's back on land and has a deathly look on his face as his spirit enters his body. Returns to how he normally looks and exclaims he nearly went to the afterlife.

The dub edit has Jessie briefly look to Meowth and then cut to Meowth in his normal state before he wakes up.

Alright, that's pretty funny, but I'm not sure why everyone's making such a big deal about it being removed. The scene was still pretty funny, even with the censorship.

If you compare the subbed first when Meowth 'drowned' after looking at Mimikyu's 'inside' and Meowth's 'ghost' returned to him after rescued, then check the dubbed and it's completely gone, as in completely edited out.

You could check the youtube if they're there or somewhere else on different sites.

I'm really not interested in watching the Japanese version, hence why I said that I only watch the dub.

This is my biggest problem with it. I understand why companies do censor but the editing of this censorship is very poor.

To be fair, what else would you expect them to do?

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
To be fair, what else would you expect them to do?

Considering how Meowth was fine, I sort of expected it to be left in.

Idk why I thought that though

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Was Lillie's bikini top even skintight? The way it was drawn made it look like it wasn't attached to her body and could go flying upwards if it was windy or if she went running

I like how the egg is showing up in almost every episode between its debut and its hatching. The last time this happened with an egg was with Scraggy's, whose most notable appearance was under Ash's chin when he was sad about having lost to Lenora.

including the serious Kiawe

I laughed when he said "duty calls" to Tortenator

I liked this episode, and I hope TRio catches the Bewear soon.

I hope so too, but I am worried, given that the pacing of their two captures so far (episodes 4 and 12) is very similar to the pacing of their two captures from XY (episodes 3 and 11) and that it might mean no more captures

Just Lana that still seems to be just there doing nothing for me

Well she's had her own episode and Ash even went to her house and met her sisters. So far Mallow is doing nothing, except being Ash's only companion during the Rowlet capture episode. I hope there's an episode at her family's restaurant soon

Ash has always beaten TRio without breaking a sweat for 20 years.
its nice to see some change and have TRio be an actual threat rather than a mere annoyance shoved into whatever episode the writers could

Exactly. I just wish he had actually lost

. Mareanie being basically like Chikorita in terms of personality.

I wish Meganium would get a Mega Evolution and then Ash would hear from somebody about it and become convinced to bring back Bayleef to train it up to a Mega-nium

Just say it was boring and get it over with.

Don't disrespect Mal's Review as it is my favorite segment on serebiiforums! I know you're just being silly and not serious but still. lol

TR goes to catch new Alolan Pokemon. *they are shown catching oldies instead*

omg haha I didn't even think of this..that's funny

Oh boy. Hazardous beastiality for James. He will suffer once more.

It's spelled bestiality. I know it can be considered rude to correct people's spelling, but in this case, it actually appears to me that it wasn't a typo, and you actually think it is spelled that way. Therefore, I thought I'd help you out here

I only watch the dub, and I couldn't at all tell that anything was taken out until I came here and read this thread

Vipsoccermaster

Watched the dubbed episode, pretty good. Kudos to James for catching Mareanie. Team Rocket claims to have beaten Ash fair and square in a Pokémon battle, but I think they didn't count it (100% completely) due to Bewear interrupting and taking them away. Good to see the lures of Ekans and Koffing Team Rocket have; throwback to the very first Pokémon they owned on screen (James had his Growlie prior). And it's pretty cool to see Ash and his classmates have fun at the beach, splashing and playing balloon volleyball. Also, they could play balloon volleyball any time as long as Lana and her Popplio is with the group.

And yeah, the last two scenes on page 6 on Serebii's website were edited out. Not that big of a deal. The two scenes had nothing to do with plot progression or continuity.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
. Good to see the lures of Ekans and Koffing Team Rocket have; throwback to the very first Pokémon they caught on screen

Wow my memory of OS is that bad? I really thought they had Ekans and Koffing from the beginning. When did they catch them? I remember their evolving in the Diglett episode but don't remember their capture episodes

Vipsoccermaster

Wow my memory of OS is that bad? I really thought they had Ekans and Koffing from the beginning. When did they catch them? I remember their evolving in the Diglett episode but don't remember their capture episodes
Whoops, my mistake. They did have Ekans and Koffing from the start, it was never shown they caught them on-screen. Bad wording on my part. Ekans and Koffing were the first Pokémon Team Rocket ever owned in the history of the Pokémon anime, with the exception I made above regarding James and his Growlie. Team Rocket caught or given the Pokémon (how they did was answered below) prior to Episode 2 of the Original Series, Pokémon Emergency! Once again, I apologize for the confusion and mix-up.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

Nope, your memory isn't bad. Jessie got Ekans for Christmas and James got Koffing as a birthday present (or maybe the reverse of that, but probably not since Jessie was poor when little). Also, given Disney XD's rather lax policies toward death and all, I feel that it's probably TPCi doing the censoring rather than them. It's still rather pointless to do it (except I agree with them cutting the one scene from EP006) seeing as Mimikyu nearly killing Meowth is probably going to be a gag throughout the series, though used more sparingly than Meowth just being freaked by Mimikyu.

Vipsoccermaster

Also, given Disney XD's rather lax policies toward death and all, I feel that it's probably TPCi doing the censoring rather than them. It's still rather pointless to do it (except I agree with them cutting the one scene from EP006) seeing as Mimikyu nearly killing Meowth is probably going to be a gag throughout the series, though used more sparingly than Meowth just being freaked by Mimikyu.
Yeah, it's TPCi doing all the voice acting, dubbing, and editing. Neither Disney XD nor Cartoon Network changed anything about the episodes, they just have the rights to air them. (Cartoon Network no longer has the rights to air them anymore.)

Perhaps another reason why the death and resurrected scene were removed because of religious views. Christians believe Jesus Christ died on "Good Friday" and rose from the dead two days later, on "Easter Sunday." Who knows, even if it was bad dubbing/editing on TPCi's part, they just don't want to face potential lawsuits and complaints that may occur and place them in hot water. Better to play it safe than be sorry.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Yeah, it's TPCi doing all the voice acting, dubbing, and editing. Neither Disney XD nor Cartoon Network changed anything about the episodes, they just have the rights to air them. (Cartoon Network no longer has the rights to air them anymore.)

Perhaps another reason why the death and resurrected scene were removed because of religious views. Christians believe Jesus Christ died on "Good Friday" and rose from the dead two days later, on "Easter Sunday." Who knows, even if it was bad dubbing/editing on TPCi's part, they just don't want to face potential lawsuits and complaints that may occur and place them in hot water. Better to play it safe than be sorry.

??? I'm Christian (sort of, it's a long story) and I have no idea what that would have to do with anything that went on in the drowning scene here. Lent and all that was months ago. Besides, they left Meowth's first "death" in, and it included a pretty blatant reference to "going down".

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Even though I'm usually a watcher of the dub (Sue me!), I will fully admit the censor was done rather poorly. Even I could tell that part felt like a sudden cut.

Still, the best part of this episode will always be Team Rocket pretty much defeating Ash fair and square. I actually thought that was rather cool as it was rather unexpected.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Still, the best part of this episode will always be Team Rocket pretty much defeating Ash fair and square. I actually thought that was rather cool as it was rather unexpected.

I would say it wasn't that unexpected, just because something similar happens almost every time Team Rocket gets a new Pokémon. It's always way stronger in its first episode, as a way of making it look like a threat, but then later episodes quickly reduce its strength to a more appropriate Team Rocket level.

NPT

Just a member
Ugh, this episode was terrible. The first half of the episode mostly centered around boring Team Rocket shenanigans that I couldn't care less about. The second half was even worse because of Team Rocket and their new team member somehow almost defeating Ash's Pokémon. And don't even get me started on the whole Bewear thing. Geez, that was a pain to watch. 2/10

As for The dubbed version, a certain scene was cut from this episode... but since most people have already pointed out the censorship, I won't comment on it. Still, TPCi needs to stop doing stuff like this. Music-wise, this time 5 pieces of original BGM (3 of which are TR Alola motto theme) were kept in dub... which is slightly better than SM011, where they kept only 1 piece.
Music Kept in dub (5):
  • Title Card
  • Alola Wild Pokémon Battle Theme
  • Team Rocket Alola Motto theme

Let's see if they keep the Movie 18 rendition of the BW Title Screen theme in SM013's dub...

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
As for The dubbed version, a certain scene was cut from this episode... but since most people have already pointed out the censorship, I won't comment on it. Still, TPCi needs to stop doing stuff like this. Music-wise, this time 5 pieces of original BGM (3 of which are TR Alola motto theme) were kept in dub... which is slightly better than SM011, where they kept only 1 piece.
Music Kept in dub (5):
  • Title Card
  • Alola Wild Pokémon Battle Theme

Let's see if they keep the Movie 18 rendition of the BW Title Screen theme in SM013's dub...

Your qualms with Team Rocket aside, I really think you should just take a step back and consider what your complaining about when it comes to the dub edits. Yes, a single scene was slightly changed, and they swapped some pieces of music. How does that make nearly as big of a difference as your claiming it does? What does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? It is still the same episode as the Japanese version for almost all intents and purposes. Small changes like that are meaningless when the episode is looked at as a whole, and do not automatically ruin the quality. I'm sorry about the rant, but I'm just so tired of people blowing these things out of proportion. And in all honesty, if you're so annoyed with the dub, why are you even watching it in the first place?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Your qualms with Team Rocket aside, I really think you should just take a step back and consider what your complaining about when it comes to the dub edits. Yes, a single scene was slightly changed, and they swapped some pieces of music. How does that make nearly as big of a difference as your claiming it does? What does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? It is still the same episode as the Japanese version for almost all intents and purposes. Small changes like that are meaningless when the episode is looked at as a whole, and do not automatically ruin the quality. I'm sorry about the rant, but I'm just so tired of people blowing these things out of proportion. And in all honesty, if you're so annoyed with the dub, why are you even watching it in the first place?

I don't think it's right to complain to him about this, really. It's still dumb the scene was outright taken out.

Even CN shows joke around the theme of being spirited away.

NPT

Just a member
@bguy7, they shouldn't be making such edits in the first place. You defending TPCi's edit practices isn't helping since they DO affact the overall quality of the dub. No matter how I look at it, Ash and Team Rocket's slang-y dialouges, terribly composed wall-to-wall cartoonish dub-exclusive music, and dumb edits like this episode's edit are pretty much the reasons why the dub kinda sucks now. And FYI, the dub replaces a lot of original music from the japanese version. The replaced music include tracks from both the games and the movies.

You know what? Like you, I didn't really have a problem with how TPCi was handling the anime until they started dubbing XY. The dub's quality went downhill from there. These days I watch the dub to count the BGM and hear see they handle the character dialouges.

With that being said, I think it's about time you notice how bad the Pokémon XY/SM dub is compared to other anime dubs like One Piece (Funimation), Dragon Ball Super and Yo-kai watch.

Last edited:

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
There are times when I think replacing music is ok. For example I don't want to hear Kyurem's theme used again in some dramatic scene in the dub...it gets a bit stale over time...
Or when Meloetta's Relic Song is just reduced to a shipping song. I find it very hypocritical people praise Unova for its music and still call it the worst season. It's very rare I see people say Unova was bad but the music was great. I'm getting tired of some of the dub music too though. Not enough Hawaiian themed music. I keep hearing that darn French like music I heard with Serena.
Edit:
I don't think it's right to complain to him about this, really. It's still dumb the scene was outright taken out.

Even CN shows joke around the theme of being spirited away.

I think in Yo-Kai Watch they had Whisper get cut in half and pretend to die. Apparently TPCi didn't think they could get away with Meowth drowning but with Yo-Kai Watch I guess whoever dubs the show managed to get away with that. They also were able to use "die". Take some notes TPCi. If Yo-Kai Watch can do it then you shouldn't have to say "passed away" or "is no longer with us"

Last edited: