• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
What's your length of fics/chapters?

Usually, the parameters for my chapters is to be between 10 and 15 pages--at least, that's how it started. More recently, my chapters tend to be upwards of 15, but usually no longer than 20, because I strive to stay within the 50,000 character limit of the posts (which is what I set the parameters around to begin with).

In the end, though, I just write however many pages is needed to say everything I planned to say in the chapter.

In terms of story length, CaC has a planned 28 chapters, but it's the only chaptered story which is developed enough for there to be a set limit, so I have no idea how long the others are going to be. My one-shot lengths can vary dramatically, depending on how much story there is to be written. The Taming of the Northern Wind, for instance, is only a few pages long while Heart of the Magma is upwards of 30.

In terms of reading, well... I don't really read that many pokemon fics. Usually, though, I like medium to long chapters, and while I don't have any specific preference for story length, I might not read a chaptered fic if I'm in the mood for short and sweet ones. Plus, it depends on where the story is archived--at ff.net it's a lot easier to find chapters, so I'm more likely to read a long story there.

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni

Hmm..I would say for New Beginnings it was 16-18 pages a chapter and about the same for Chronicles. I try to do it like the descriptions for comics. The scripts usually go about that long. Perhaps longer to fill in 32 pages a comic every month.

LX

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
My chapters can be all across the board..."The Ruby Files" are the shortest (1-2 pages), episodes of "The Ash and Pikachu Show" are a little longer (3-5 pages), and "The Adventures of Kochou and the Beautiflies" are at least 5-6 pages. (my record is 14 pages, which took the better part of an afternoon to write)

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Rejoining! xP

A little late though... I kept checking if there was a new thread, too... =/

Soooo...yeah! I r teh LC writer, and... Well, that's about it. I haven't done one-shots in ages, soo...

The Legendarian Chronicles LC!!! Woohoo!!!

My fic pwns cuz its thread ID is only four digits ;)
SIlverwing;249;: That has got to be the dumbest criteria for fic quality I have ever heard. >>

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Last edited:

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian

Well, I used to make my chapters really small at about 1000 words exactly but now the number has doubled. I really don't have a set fic legnth and can make it as big as it needs to be....

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.

My chapters are usually very short. Not quite so much as some I've seen, but short nevertheless. They range around six pages, and have never gone beyond eleven. Indeed, some of my one-shots end up a little below two pages, sometimes. I usually focus on meaty, juicy, long paragraphs rather than the dialogue-rich, small-paragraph type of writing I've often seen, so the content isn't usually spaced very much across the pages. I believe that is the main reason for the shortness. That, and, perhaps, the fact that not so many seperate events happen in one chapter than in other fanfictions I've known.

Arcanine Royale

Usually, I aim for around 2,500 words (4-7 pages there abouts). That's for Genesis, and usually other chaptered fics I attempt.

But one-shots... That's a different story. For one thing, most of my one-shots are really short stories at all. They're not formatted as such - there more like a snapshot of time. No more than an hour or something. I'd say they average near about 1000 words, though proper short stories (such as one titled Voices I'm working on right now), will range a lot. Usually over 5,000 words. At least I hope as much.

CrystalSaurTower

May I join? I think I'm going to post my fanfic somewhere this month, so by then I'll try to link it.

Well, I think I have alot to cover since I need my characters to do alot of things at a bunch of different places in Johto, so at first I was a little intimidated about trying to make a really long fic with stuff like Aeon and such floating around with magnificent plots and like, 20 chapters. But then I saw EonMaster One's fic, Pokemon: Revolution Johto, and saw that his chapter's were somewhere in the fifities and such, and so I wasn't afraid if I ended up with something in the fifites-forties.

As for the length of the chapters themselves, I've set a limit of atleast 9 pages per chapter. Not every chapter has to be chock full of plot, but I'm a description freak so it usually ends up more than that.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Length of my chapters? Yeah, really short. When I actually write a chaptered fic, that is--the only one I've really done is Obsession, and I've had chapters that were less than a page. But now they tend to be over a thousand words (I think chapter 16 was something like 1600)

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
You can add a new topic once most members have answered the old one, correct? And I hope this topic qualifies for that criteria, correct? Then I would like to add a new topic. You can ignore it if I'm posting too early.

Something odd I've noticed, don't know what to make of it: How many of you are writers and ardent fans of Pokèmon? Not many from the old club could say they were great patrons of the art, and they mainly wrote to expand and edit its shortcomings.

I, personally, am as rabid a supporter of the subject as any other fan, and enjoy playing the games as well as I can. Admittedly, I can't involve myself too far into the business from the technologically deprived place I live in, but I do rather try.

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
How many of you are writers and ardent fans of Pokèmon

Truth be told, I like the games more than the Anime. For me, the quality's gone down over the years and it seems like it's the same stuff every day. It just isn't exciting for me and I like excitement. I know the toon has had excitement in it but meh. I'm 28. My tastes change. See what I'm saying? You guys have fun with the anime.

I'm just not that into it. The games though are wicked fun!

LX

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
I am a fan of the series, but I stopped watching the anime when the voices changed. So in my work, I imagine them with their classic voices. But that's another story.

So for now, I mainly play the games.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
How many of you are writers and ardent fans of Pokèmon?

I prefer the manga to any sort of medium. It uses every little feature of the games to a brilliant degree, even the minute details; in one chapter, a Spinarak web is spun over an area and an Elekid charges it up! That is just brilliant. Pokeballs are exploited as well; Falkner's are outfitted with Skarmory feathers to act like boomerangs, Giovanni kicks his Pokeballs for further reach and the whole use is clever. I can't say anything more, I just love it too much. I'm using the Pokeball idea for Goodbye, Mr Olympia! with a group launching theirs in different ways.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the games, but I've got a habit with the Elite Four. I just save the game and leave it for a few months. Don't know why I do this.

I just plum hate the anime. It's little more than a jumped-up advertisement with 2D characters, no variation in the main plot whatsoever, and there's no real character development. No offense to fans of the anime but that's just my opinion.

duncan

Hey, can I join? I never had a chance to join the old club, but I'll join the new one.

Like most of everyone else here, I really like the games. I've played them ever since R/B came out.

Likewise, I've always watched the anime (and the cards, action figures, etc...). But it's been a while since I've watched the anime, it's just geared toward a younger audience. I haven't bought a pack of cards in several years (but I still have three binders full of them). Same with action figures, etc. I was into that kind of stuff when I was 7, but not anymore.

The manga and the games are the only thing I really follow. The manga is far superior to the anime in my opinion, and the games have swallowed at least a couple years of my life.

CrystalSaurTower

The games always seem fun to me, they provide so much potential for things to happen with their plots. Around the time the whole Kyroge/Groudon thing was going on was when I really started to look at it more. And of course, travelling in a region never gets old.

In the anime, however, it does seem to have been watered down since the begging of Hoenn for me. It was all going on the theme of NEW pokemon!, NEW journey!, NEW everything!!!, that when Sinnoh started I knew it would introduce some inovation, but it would ultimatly be a more organic campaign of the last region.

The Magna sounds really cool, but theres little to no chance I'll ever see more than scans and synopsis's of it. Pokemon in itself is really flexible and open to new ideas, that I find it a very enjoyable world to write in.

Arcanine Royale

Well, I prefer the concept a lot more than the anime or games. (Have never seen the manga, but if I could, I think I might like it.) Basically, Satoshi and company screwed up the anime. If maybe Ash had won in Johto and then won and gone home and someone was in Hoenn starting new, and they maybe used an actual plot... I never really saw the so-called 'golden age' of the anime, though I have seen a few of the first episodes of the anime on Youtube, and it was really good... (Which is why I'm contemplating a novelization of Ash's journey which stops at Kanto or Johto.)

So I'd call myself a fan of the concept, but I intend to write a more realistic / more mature version of it (which is how pokemon would have worked better. Alas for marketing and economics.)

~RaikouRider243~

Lightning Swordsman
I agree with both of you--the anime royally screwed up many perceptions of what the Pokémon world is. By writing, you express what you believe the Pokémon world is. This is why I believe Pokémon fics are so much of a higher quality than fics based on other series--there is so much to write about besides canon. You have so much more freedom than with other series. It's a double-edged sword...the anime has probably kept the series going in countries outside Japan. It's a sad fact.

Also, a Pokémon RPG with a plot unrelated to the mainstream games would be nice--you know, a more traditional CRPG with a plot you follow as opposed to the Pokémon games' open-ended stories. The Gamecube RPGs were a step in the right direction, but it needs to go further.

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
How many of you are writers and ardent fans of Pokémon?

Eh... I'm really more a fan of the creatures themselves than I am of that in which they're officially featured. I play the games, but only casually. I watch the anime, but really only for the purpose of seeing Pokémon in the show that I've never seen on there before. I usually only watch each episode once and will only rewatch the episodes I particularly liked (of which there are only maybe a couple dozen or so), and I don't really mind all that much if I miss an episode.

Now, the Pokémon themselves, I really like. Pokémon figures were what got me into Pokémon in the first place; I really liked the design of the creatures and the large number and wide variety of them. (That, and I was impressed with the quality of the figures, which is what led me to start collecting them.) One of the few things that keeps me interested in Pokémon and sticking around to see generation after generation of it is my wanting to see what they come up with next.

So, yeah. I like the gameplay, but I'm not really all that devoted to the games (though I do have a particular fondness for Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, but mostly just because Miror B.'s in them X3). Same goes for the TCG, only I play it even less (much less, in fact). I watch the anime, but I don't really care all that much about its storylines or characters (with a couple of exceptions, but most of the canon characters I really like stopped appearing in the anime quite a while ago ^^;). As for the manga, I'm afraid I've never read it, so I can't pass any form of judgment on it. ^^;

Overall, all forms of the official Pokémon canon with which I'm familiar do not satisfy me, but I am very much a fan of the creatures themselves, and I see a drenload of potential in them. That's a very large part of why I (personally speaking) write Pokémon fanfiction in the first place. ^^

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
How many of you are writers and ardent fans of Pokémon?

Me, I've been the fan of the Pokemon games every since I got a Game Boy Colour and Pokemon Silver. Since then I have played the games, and have played all major 3rd gen games for Gamecube and Gameboy (particulally liked Colo and XD), and have Pokemon Diamond.

Never read the Manga (Live in Australia - never seen it and never sought it), and I don't follow the anime much - seen a few episodes, but never really followed it.

Oh, and I also used to have a few Pokemon trading cards - still have a few, which are now in the possession of my sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.