• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
How I use Legendaries depends on what humans I'm writing about. Like of course I'll have the Birds and Lugia in Obsession, because Lugia is what Jirarudan will come to hunt.

If I'm writing about Eusine, he'll go on about Suicune because that's what he does.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Legendaries are yet to feature in my fic, so i haven't actually fully planed how they are represented in my fic. However, I will have to soon write about them (the 3 legendary dogs in Colosseum anyone?), so I'd better think about that...

At this stages I'm leaning to having them as the 'protectors' of Pokemon - being stronger than the average Pokemon and being noble and all, but not all-powerful. But how they will act if they are Shadow Pokemon... well, you'll need to wait and see :)

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Is writing always an enjoyable experience for you?

That depends on what else is going on in my life. If things are going well, it's easier for me to enjoy writing, but if I try to write when something in my life's not all right, then I don't enjoy it as much or at all.

I'm not very good at distracting myself from problems or pretending them away; whatever's weighing on me will do so until it's resolved. The bigger the problem, the more preoccupied I am and thus the more difficult it is for me to enjoy writing (or any other activity, for that matter). Similarly, when I'm in an especially good mood and things are uncommonly awesome, I write more enthusiastically than usual.

How do you get motivated to write?

The answer to that is almost identical to my answer for the previous question. My mood is the main governing force over my motivation; if I'm in a bad mood, my will to write weakens, while good moods bolster my will to write.

My motivation is also influenced by the amount of difficulty I'm having with whatever I'm writing. (Since the ease with which I write is largely determined by how I'm feeling in general, this could therefore be considered just another case of my mood affecting how much I enjoy writing.) If I find myself struggling too much or for too long with a piece of writing, finding myself forced to go back to the drawing board again and again, my will to write can be worn pretty thin. If I'm on a roll and the ideas and words are coming forth effortlessly, I find it hard to tear myself away from the keyboard.

What is the postion of legendaries in your fictions? Are they gods or simply rare species of Pokémon, or something in between?

(Copied and pasted from the previous thread, with a couple of edits...)

For the most part, I treat legendaries just like any other Pokémon. I give you... the Meh Theory.

First off, only a few of the legendaries are even unique. The other legendary species represent just that: species, races of individuals that live, reproduce, and die just like most "ordinary" Pokémon. Lugia, for example, is not just the name and form of one entity, but an entire race. Those who are unique came about through an extraordinary event, most often an extreme elemental anomaly occurring in an individual, ordinary Pokémon, transforming it into a much more powerful form--sort of an extreme version of evolution.

While many of the Pokémon species regarded as legendary have been given divine status by certain human and Pokémon cultures due to their being powerful, ancient, or living lives of seclusion and thus inspiring mystery and wonder in other races, they are not actually deities, not even the unique ones. They are simply species that happen to be more elementally potent, older, much more infrequently encountered by other races, far fewer in number than those species not regarded as legendary, or any combination of those things.

No Pokémon has existed since the beginning of time in my version of the Pokémon universe, and despite the myths of some cultures that speak of a Pokémon (or more than one) creating the universe, no Pokémon can actually be credited with such. Most of the legendary species evolved into being over time just like most other Pokémon. While a few of them are exceptionally long-lived or even ageless, or able to survive under very extreme conditions such as millennia-long suspended animation, none of them are truly immortal. Plenty of species that are equal in power to those referred to as "legendary" have already come and gone from this world.

Legendaries generally do not view themselves as such. They do not convene with the other legendary races, they do not share a hallowed gathering place, and most of them do not concern themselves with affairs beyond those of their own species. True, they might possess the power to effect meaningful change in the world, but does that make them any more inclined to go out and make a difference than any other people? No.

The reasons that legendaries are almost never captured or even seen by humans are qualities which have been mentioned before: simple rarity, seclusion from other races, or sheer power (in the case of the third item on that list, it's possible that any number of humans may have attempted capture or even just observation... but did not survive to speak of it).

Last edited:

Manaphyman

Up all night
What is the postion of legendaries in your fictions? Are they gods or simply rare species of Pokémon, or something in between?

Without giving too much away... I depict Legendaries as that, Legends. They are a huge, raw untaped force, that evil trys to take hold of. Some are good, some are bad.

~RaikouRider243~

Lightning Swordsman
I write a two to three paragraph summary of each chapter to make each chapter look fun to write. Plus, I hate seeing work go unfinished. It usually doesn't take much to motivate me to write.

They are almost demigods; very difficult, but possible, to defeat with just a team of normal Pokémon. In my fics though, almost every legendary Pokémon has a human guardian chosen by Arceus, and that guardian is to protect the legendary Pokémon with his or her life, to lessen the chance that a power-hungry human gets his or her hands on one of the legendary Pokémon--a single one can easily level a city. Of course, aside from protecting the legendary Pokémon, the guardians are free to do almost anything they want--one of the big exceptions is battling with them for sport. For instance, I had one of my characters fly on Rayquaza for fun--with not a care in the world.

dash142

Beginning Trainer

While they haven't appeared next, they will be in my sequal and I think I will treat them as gods except for Mewtwo (Cone) and Deoxys (There will be more than one). But they aren't invincible really, just stronger than average pokemon.

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
Joining! Huzzah.

What is the postion of legendaries in your fictions? Are they gods or simply rare species of Pokèmon, or something in between?

Depends on the story, though they aren't actually real deities in any of mine thus far, though some people might swear by them or mention them in some manner--and that's really because of the legends and stories that elevated from the beliefs that were read or told them as children: that they are mystical beasts who are rare and powerful--if they exist at all. In fact, some might not and be just legends that once existed but have died out, a la Aerodactyl. Some people and pokémon may worship them as idols or whatnot, as religion is always an iffy subject, and there are many different sects and beliefs, as they try to explain creation and whatnot. And hey, if they want to believe Mew created the world in seven days, I say let them.

Psychic

Really and truly
Welcome to all new members! The first post has been edited with your names and with the new topics. :)

ALSO, announcement!
Advice for Aspiring Authors needs YOUR help!
If you haven't already, check out this thread in the Café: the Advice thread is being completely revamped, and the hope it that if everybody posts, just to throw out an idea or leave a comment or ANYTHING, we could end up with one really pwnsome guide to writing. :D

Click for more details.

Anyhow, in less exciting news, here are my replies to th topics.

Is writing always an enjoyable experience for you?
Depends on my mood, really, and what I'm writing. In general I really enjoy it - it's one of my greatest pleasures in life, tbh, and I just love moving everything from my mind onto paper. At times it can even be refreshing, to an extent, because it allows you to get out all your pent-up thoughts and emotions.

It's less-than-enjoyable when I'm being forced to write (whether for a deadline, school and so on) because if I don't have inspiration, it's like fishing for loose change behind your sofa. ><

Listening to music, reading novels/other fics and watching movies, mostly. Usually I get motivated when I have inspiration, or seeing other art makes me want to make my own, you know?

Also, if I've had a particularly drab day and I want to escape from it, or a particularly exciting day that's gotten me all pumped. It's really all based on my mood.

Noland didn't own Articuno--it was his friend and it battled for him, but he made a point of saying that it wasn't his. However, there was a trainer in one of the games who *did* have Articuno (someone in the Crystal Battle Tower), and that didn't break any canon. At least no one complained about it.

Heck, Brandon had all three Regis on the show, and they were actually his. But in the games (which I don't see anyone complaining about), half the Frontier Brains have Legendaries. And again, that didn't break canon.

Lugia have to reproduce somehow. Just because a trainer in the games can't get them to breed doesn't mean they *can't* breed. Besides, the one from the second movie didn't "speak" either, it "spoke" using psychic powers, like Mewtwo. Perhaps the one in the Orange Islands is a stronger psychic than the one from the Whirl Islands.

I don't see how any of that contradicts itself.
I'll answer this through the latest topic:
What is the position of legendaries in your fictions? Are they gods or simply rare species of Pokèmon, or something in between?
From the games, I got the impression that there is only one of each Legendary. I don't believe that Lugia are an entire rare species, and since there's only one of each kind, I figure them to be somewhat powerful; I don't think they're gods per say, however I think that they are god-like in power and wisdom.

Meaning, consequently, that they can easily hold their own in battle and cannot be owned by trainers. Partly because they can not be defeated by ordinary Pokémon, they're too strong to be kept in a Ball and upon being released from their Ball in a battle, they could simply attack their human, destroy the sphere and run/fly away. No Legendary would, in my book, be interested in serving a human for a purpose as meaningless as battling. :/

In that sense, the games are a bit silly to me because if they were realistic, I don't think the Legendaries would be obtainable. And in that sense, canon fails in my eyes.

Now, moving back to my own opinion, I think that the Legendaries are god-like; while not being immortal, I think that they pretty much live forever, consequently making them very strong and wise from living for so long. I believe they were created at the beginning of time to sort of govern the world, and thus are not affected by age, however they can be killed by a very powerful external means. The reason they're called LEGENDaries is because humans aren't sure if they're myth or reality because they stay secluded from the rest of the world, and while some may dedicate their lives to Pokémon mythology, others are generally not affected and don't care, while others still may create religions believing that a certain Legendary is god (such as Mew, origin of Pokémon and Ho-Oh, guardian of life). But like I said, nobody is positive of their existance as they are hard to find, and to some, the idea of creatures of such power seems ridiculous. XP

Which is why it annoys me to hell that in the Animé, we see these mysterious, elusive creatures all the time, and in some cases OWNED by trainers. Or "befriending," if that's the case (I never saw the episode), just seems silly to me, because if a Legendary was interested in interaction with humans, then it would have been caught ages ago while flying over a human city or something. :/

So to me: Legendaries are mysterious, god-like creatures that are myths whose existance noobody has really been able to verify.

~Psychic

Manaphyman

Up all night
Thanks for accepting me Psychic.

You want all of us tho go to that thread? I'll head over there soon.

I have a new topic: How many people review your fic? How much of an impact does it have?

Last edited:

CrystalSaurTower

What is the postion of legendaries in your fictions? Are they gods or simply rare species of Pokèmon, or something in between?

Well, I suppose the legandaries in my fic are extremely powerful beings who have combined within a secret guild to try to change and uphold the earth for the greater good. They also happen to exploit and manipulate many of my characters for this reason (Celebi and Jirachi in particular) and that happens to create instresting reactions when they try to rebel. Only some legends are in the guild, however, and some such as Latias and Latios are not qualified to join yet and merely wander the earth's forest under there mentor, Celebi.

duncan

How many people review your fic? How much of an impact does it have?

My fic has a few reviewers, and despite the fact that I try to make the fic at my own pace they seem to make me write quicker. But the main thing my reviewers do is help me improve. They often notice things that I do not, and that helps me become a better writer.

Two, sike saner and Ledian_X. And Chris doesn't even count because he's the beta-reader. And that's here; I have none at BMGf.

There are fics that are good and people enjoy them a lot so review to tell how wonderful they thought it was. There's also fics that are somewhat bad so people review to give advice. And then there's the fics that aren't as written as well as some others but decent enough to warrant little or no advice. The latter is the worst because they're almost always overlooked except by a few rare readers. Mine is in the last category.

The impact of that is quite frustrating. Good, bad, whatever; any feedback is appreciated. Because if no one reviews then how do we know if anyone read our stories? Thread views are for everytime the thread's looked at. So how do we know whether the views are just the same few people looking many times or many people looking a few times?

...yeah. I knew I'd end up doing this mini-rant some point in this thread. The topic was the perfect place for it. I know people might not agree with my view on the good/bad/decent fics categories but if you look closely you'll realize it does happen.

Arcanine Royale

By writing and reading. It's really that simple for me. If I read a great fic, I usually want to write, and I have a passion for writing... so passion and reading great works on fan fiction.

Gods mostly. In some they are omnipotent beings that aren't involved at all in the world. In Genesis, they are multiple factions heavily involved in the world... In fact, each species has one species at god status, legendary or not. Legendaries are just quite powerful, and they are all pseudo-legendaries excepting their species 'god' or chieftan.

What... you mean you people actually get reviews? *shot*. But, I do have a few, sometimes. The problem is I've only really written one journey fic, and I have Dragonfree-itis in that I can't accept it being sub-par / not to my greatest ability, and so have to revise it alot. But, that should be changing soon as I expand into different genres.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Not many, I have to say. Sike Saner is my one consistent reviewer, and then there are many one-time reviewers who give one comment andfall back to reading and watching. I don't mind, though, since I require only that a fair amount of people take a look at my work, which works out well.

I rarely, disconcertingly, get anything more than praise of speculation in my reviews. As a result, any improvement in my writing skill is usually not based on the constructive criticism of my reviewers, there being so little of said constructive criticism which I encounter. As a subsequent result, I (believe I) face all the problems of growing old and fat, such as a slightly inflated ego and a pointed lack in improvement of my work (all of this, of course, being from my own perception of myself, often incorrect).

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH

In "Heart of the Sea", I have a few people that stayed and review almost all of my chapters (Kagome Lover, The Great Butler, The Pokemon Master, Sike Saner, and Fire&Ice are the ones at the top of my head at the moment). For "Simplicity", I so far have only Sike Saner reading and reviewing almost all of my chapters (it's all right though; I still enjoyed writing that story ^^ ). For "Nothing, Everything", I have almost eight reviewed the prologue and half reviewed the first chapter (fall is the busiest season, I guess XD ).

So far the reviews really impacted the way my story is now because I have improved from when I first posted by fanfiction on March 2006 through today, and I thank them for that. :)

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain

As in, right now? None, since I haven't updated since last December. XD; I guess only time will tell how many will review when I finally do get this thing up and running again--this is already the longest I've ever made anyone have to wait by far, after all. (For any of you who were reading my stuff, I am very sorry about the wait... ^^;)

Anyway, as for how many have reviewed, my current fic has had a pretty good number of them. My first fic got a little less than a quarter of that number of reviewers (much fewer early on, though).

As far as the impact it has... It still surprises me that anyone actually reads and reviews my stuff (especially considering the size of some of the chapters I've dropped on them o.o;), and it still tickles me as much as it did the first time I saw that someone had actually bothered to stop by and look at my work and tell me what they thought of it. I appreciate the hell out of it, absolutely. They actually took the time to do that when they didn't actually have to. That means a lot to me.

Last edited:

HommeDor

L'Hiver Est Arrivé
not many people review, infact, no would would unless i did not go around begging people to review.... so demeaning...

duncan

not many people review, infact, no would would unless i did not go around begging people to review.... so demeaning...

It shouldn't be. I've asked for reviews before, and I accept review requests (not at the moment, though). Anyway, I think it's time for a new topic:

Where, in your opinion, is your biggest shortcoming in writing? Likewise, what is your biggest strength?

This is rather tricky, but with the help of my reviewers I'm pretty sure I can answer correctly:

My biggest shortcoming is defintely description. In my haste to finish a chapter, I often leave out description, something I'm trying to work on at the moment.

My biggest strength is quite a bit more difficult. I suppose my characters would be the answer, but making an interesting plot has always been a bright spot in my opinion (and is the most fun by far to write).

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Where, in your opinion, is your biggest shortcoming in writing? Likewise, what is your biggest strength?

Biggest shortcoming? Definitely character interaction. Dialogue and emotionally tense scenes between two characters I generally don't do well at all. I also have problems with word and structure repetition on a less big-concept scale.

As for my biggest strength, I'm not really sure. Plot, possibly, or action scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.