• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Hm, I haven't nominated any for the fanfic nominations or voted, since I'm too nervous to do so. I haven't read many stories, and who am I to judge better writers from others? I probably do not even have the right to be in the Fan Fiction forum since I post so little and the only thing I have posted and what I'm trying to post just turned out/are turning out bad.

Umm, I'm sorry I came back here, as I know I probably shouldn't consider myself good enough to talk to all of you, as I'm just me, and.... I don't feel like I deserve advice from people so great as yourselves, but there's something that I really want to ask. It's really been bugging me, and Ireally want to know it, because I can be offended by it and I'm positive several others are too, and I just want to know what everyone else thinks about it.

What is so appealing about death?

Yes, that is my question. I have noticed that in just about every novel I have read, even in some examples my language arts teachers shows us in class, someone dies. Why? What is so epic about booting a character out of your story permanently? Death isn't something that is easy to overcome, like others may think. It's not something that just happens and X character will get over the persons death,or will just shed a few tears and weep in misery then go on with life. I don't know if people here have experienced a death from someone very close to them, but I want to know why so many authors in the real world and on fanfiction sites find it so appealing to write about somebody dying.

I may end up being a hypocrite in this, as in my up-coming (I hope) fic somebody dies, but I only do it when it's needed for the plot to go on, or to bring a bout a very large change in the story.

So yes, I want to know why people love to write and read about death. If the author is doing it to try and be 'epic', I don't personally find it working much of the time. Anybody can write about the death of a person in their story, but I haven't seen many that have been done well as if they actually knew what they were writing about.

I'm terribly sorry if I came across as rude, I'll delete my post and leave again if you want it to, please forgive me.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Actually, that is a question that could make up a doctorate thesis. And in more than just the Literature-Language fields (Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Mythology, etc.). So it's not a bad question.

In fact, THERE ARE NO BAD QUESTIONS! (all-caps for enthusiasm!) You should never be afraid to ask questions. Not asking questions leads to problems. But that's a whole different subject....

Anyhow, about death...

Well you have to admit that some people are just fascinated by death. Some authors are just plain morbid, or have a suicidal fantasy. And there's entire genres like Dystopian and Mystery that nearly require death to happen. On this note, would an Adventure story be more exciting if there was a threat of death hanging over the main character? Yes (unless it's a poorly written one, but that's another subject...).

Death is a final ending, no going back. That final ending could be a reason for character death: Don Quixote was killed at the end of his second book, partly as a final ending and partly so nobody could steal his character. It was prior to copyright laws and such, and somebody had written a bad fanfic of Don Quixote that the author hated.

And death is a major part of a person's development. A parent's death, while being a powerful change, will play out differently if the death was early or late in the person's life. Sometimes if there is a status quo, a death can shake things up and force change to happen.

Killing characters is also useful if you have one that would make things too easy later on. Case in point: Obi-Wan Kenobi. He may have been old by that point, but his experience and skill with the Force would have lessened the tension and challenge of the rest of the Star Wars movies. Qui-Gon Jinn may also apply, if you consider that Ben may have been too young to properly train Anakin while he was moved too strongly by passions.

Those deaths in the above paragraph also form a strong determination in those who follow them. So death can be a motivator.

Also, some authors write about death in order to work out their own feelings about the death of a loved one.

I will conclude my rambling of tonight by saying that death is fascinating precisely for a reason you gave: it is not an easy thing to overcome. That's why epic stories nearly always include death.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Hm, I haven't nominated any for the fanfic nominations or voted, since I'm too nervous to do so. I haven't read many stories, and who am I to judge better writers from others? I probably do not even have the right to be in the Fan Fiction forum since I post so little and the only thing I have posted and what I'm trying to post just turned out/are turning out bad.
Who are you? You're...well, you - I don't believe anyone is really more 'qualified' to give their opinions over other people. f you read some more if you feel you haven't read enough then IMO you should go nominate - no need to be nervous. Award organisers don't bite, I'm sure. =P

What is so appealing about death?

I suppose Ysavvryl hit a lot of points there. XD Death is just a big part of the human psyche, I suppose - it's the end of life as we know it here (and whether anything happens after is down to religious debate which is also a big part for many people XD). Evidently it's very interesting for many people, death - and it offers so much with stories - plot points, character development, etc. Hence why there's so many stories about them. [/lazywithanswer]
I'm terribly sorry if I came across as rude, I'll delete my post and leave again if you want it to, please forgive me.
Again don't be so timid - the questions was perfectly fine and the last thing we need is people being too shy to post anything, really. XD

Oh hey who wants a challenge? Zadros made up this thread in the fanfic lounge, the aim being to write 12 reviews for different fics on Valentine's Day. Maybe this could be the next fanfic challenge as well... along with an added challenge of trying to make as many reviews as possible! DOESN'T THAT SOUND FUN!?!

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Me I'm just drawn to angst. And what's angstier than death?

Although only two people will die in Obsession and one of them already happened in the first chapter and the other will be offscreen and it's a minor character. But lesse here, Red has implied death, Location has a lot of characters *almost* die (I was kinda bound by the games so I couldn't *really* do it)...

Zadros

Incorrigible slacker
That's true bob, why should we be limited to only twelve? That's easy, right? =P Come to think of it, I should probably go read some fics so that I can review them... XD

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
It's me again. :3

So since I didn't see my username on the members list even though I could've sworn I had signed up, let me try again. Hello, I'm Giratina. I write fanfiction, read fanfiction, and review on occasion (but not extremely often, considering all of my reviews always turn into lengthy quote-ridden wastelands). My only story posted here is Delta Species, but I really do want to get around to rewriting my first story, Metal Coat/The Galaxy Key. (Considering I have off from school today, it's likely that's going to get done.) The best book ever would have to be Good Omens, co-written by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

So hello! =D

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Hey there Giratina!, and welcome to the club!

Who are you? You're...well, you - I don't believe anyone is really more 'qualified' to give their opinions over other people. f you read some more if you feel you haven't read enough then IMO you should go nominate - no need to be nervous. Award organisers don't bite, I'm sure. =P
I just don't feel that it would be right for me to have a say in who should get known or recognized for good writing/characterization/you know what I mean. Why should I--someone who hardly knows how to write a paragraph in purple prose--be able to tell who gets what awards? It would be awful, since I'm so naive and unintelligent about those things that things may not turn out the way they should be. I know I'm only one person, but I still don't want to look like a fool by doing something stupid in front of all the good writers of this forum.

So... I'm sorry about my question about death, as even though Ysavvryl said that there are no stupid questions, this probably should have been an obvious one. I of all people should know why its so appealing and why everyone wants it in their fics, as it is something that normally succeeds at epicness.

....I have my reasons for being timid....

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
@Giratina!: Good Omens is a great book! So many good and awesome things in it, with not many problems. I love the Four Horsemen... and just about everything else.

@starliteevee: While I have the training to know what makes good literature, I didn't chose my nominations for the Awards based on that. I picked the stories that I liked and found categories that fit them. Try that... if only to get a fuller selection overall, and to get more people to read the stories that you like.

Or someone else could do that.

Of course, you have to judge fanfiction differently than 18th-19th century classics...

As for the Red Roses Reviews challenge, I probably won't be participating. But I do try to review when I have a free afternoon or so.

maxelle

Shadow Stalker
Hello. I have only been on the FanFiction Forums awhile but I love writing. I currently am working on 1 Fanfic, Outcast Revolt and ma thinking ideas for others but I don't want to get too ahead of myself.

My favorite book, well currently it is The Hunger Games (Forget the Author). My favorite authors include Margaret Peter Haddix (The Among the Hidden series was excellent in my opinion) and J. K Rowling (Love the Harry Potter books). I don't read alot mostly I watch movies (Horror) and play pokemon as well as other activities (Band, Homeowork).

Just wanted to join the club.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome, Giratina! and maxelle. =) Added you the first post (if sppf didn't lag out that is...). Seems we've past 50 members recently as well actually - hurrah for a lot of people? Also a reminder about the Dozen Roses challenge which started already (leastways Valentine's Day started here in Australia), so don't forget to post if you will/have participated in it and your aim/what you got. I'm hopefully aiming for 6 due to a lack of time (but maybe a couple more outside of sppf).

Also because I can be lazy, stealing topics kthnx. ;P

How long/short is your longest/shortest chapter or story? What makes them shorter or longer and how do you make it work?

The shortest was 5-6 pages originally? That was for my prologue/earlier chapters. The longest has been 30 pages, but the chapter was in parts - kinda two-chapters-in-one because...well, I could. ;P They've been a bit over the place, although recently they've been averaging the higher-teens more often. I just think beforehand what I want to happen in my chapters, and then write it in. Before I tended to underestimate how much I'd write, but that happens less often though.

But I feel chapter length isn't that important, as long as the chapter does what it is meant to do - tell that part of the story effectively and entertain.

Oh, and why not one more. =P

What fandoms do you want to/have write/written on besides Pokémon?

Nothing in fact - only been writing one fic so far, and a one-shot during that. I have written some original stuff though, but no other fandoms have gone through my mind...yet.
[/notlazyatall]

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
Well, I'm doing the Dozen Red Roses project. Considering Valentines' Day isn't until tomorrow here in New Jersey, I cheated and wrote all twelve reviews already. C:<

How long/short is your longest/shortest chapter or story? What makes them shorter or longer and how do you make it work?

My shortest chapter was probably four pages (or, god forbid, three) in the early chapters of Metal Coat (which, by the way, has not been posted here because old fic is old). I shudder at my writing skills back then... but fortunately I was pretty good at the creative side of things, which means I can still think about the story without wanting to climb into a volcano and die. |D My shortest story was the five-page oneshot Voices; it was not posted here for being short, spur-of-the-moment, and meant to tie in with a generic Trainerfic which never got off the ground. My next oneshot (Indebted) was twice that length, and was fortunately a lot better in all respects.

My favorite authors include Margaret Peter Haddix (The Among the Hidden series was excellent in my opinion) and J. K Rowling (Love the Harry Potter books).

You have hust won my eternal respect! I loved the Among the Hidden books. : D

@Giratina!: Good Omens is a great book! So many good and awesome things in it, with not many problems. I love the Four Horsemen... and just about everything else.

THE HORSEMEN.
OH MY GOODNESS THE HORSEMEN. XD

Yeah, for any of you who don't know what we're talking about, go out to your local library/bookstore and get a copy right now. You won't regret it. These men are geniuses.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
It's been a while since I posted here. Thought I might as well respond to a topic.

My longest chapter so far is forty pages. It was so long because it had about eight battles in it. Took me a very long time to write that one.

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
Holy--

Forty pages?!?

Wow. I mean no offense, but why would you cram eight separate battles into one chapter? o_O

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Holy--

Forty pages?!?

Wow. I mean no offense, but why would you cram eight separate battles into one chapter? o_O

That was a condensed version too. It was the first round of a tournament and I didn't want to have two to three different chapters on the first round

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
Hmm. That makes some sense, but still - since I assume there was more than one main character in the tournament to offer up that many battles, I personally would have spread the fights out over a certain number of days. A forty-page chapter seems like a little bit of a stretch...

Also: Get your copies of Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum to the nearest GameStop pronto! The Shiny Pichu Event ends tomorrow!

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
My record is 14 pages, because it was a pretty lengthy storyline for that episode, and it was a "musical so I had to work the songs in too

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
My usual length for chapters is around ten pages on Word. But it can vary. Shortest chapter would probably be a seven pages example, but had an important enough event to be seperate. Longest was seventeen or eighteen pages; I don't remember exactly but it was a very long sequence that I did not want to interrupt at any cost.

I have written for other fandoms. Back when I was eleven, I wrote a few Super Mario stories, which no longer exist. Sometime later, I switched to Mega Man X fanfics; those had really interesting issues that the games barely touched, like how how it's a dumb idea to degrade a nearly-human robot who can punch through a reinforced concrete wall. I then switched to Pokemon because it has the same kind of unaddressed issues times a hundred due to the variety of creatures it has.

Last edited:

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
I also write in the PreCure and Final Fantasy fandoms, but Pokemon is my primary because there's so much that has yet to be discovered and explained

I've also written Sailor Moon stories, but those are my very early work, and quite cringeworthy

Status
Not open for further replies.