• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemon Z RPG

Little Squirt
If anyone's interested, here is the link to my story website, which revolves around just one of my stories (I am not trying to advertise or anything, I actually don't update the site anymore, this is just for the people who want to see the story).

http://www.pokemonzrpg2.webs.com

Please tell me your thoughts so far!

Venomfrog

Perpetual Observer
I would like to join this club. Since linking is allowed in the joining post, I redirect anyone interested my only current fan fiction, Sea Cottage.

My favourite part about writing is describing settings and the emotions of characters. I also enjoy writing Pokemon battles, though not too often. They seem more meaningful when spaced out.

I am soon to start working on a one-shot about Steven Stone and the Meteor Falls. I may also start writing original fiction in a few months.

If I have the time, I also like to offer advice to other writers, specifically regarding description and symbolism.

Pokemon Z RPG

Little Squirt
I would like to join this club. Since linking is allowed in the joining post, I redirect anyone interested my only current fan fiction, Sea Cottage.

My favourite part about writing is describing settings and the emotions of characters. I also enjoy writing Pokemon battles, though not too often. They seem more meaningful when spaced out.

I am soon to start working on a one-shot about Steven Stone and the Meteor Falls. I may also start writing original fiction in a few months.

If I have the time, I also like to offer advice to other writers, specifically regarding description and symbolism.

May you offer me some advice on my story above? ^

Venomfrog

Perpetual Observer
Maybe if I get some time. I read the prologue and it seems interesting; maybe tomorrow I will go over a chapter or two or all of them and offer some advice.

Glancing at the chapters, I recommend highly that you put spaces between dialogue. For example:

*Hypothetical Fan Fiction Made Up On The Spot*

"I never thought I'd get that crate open," says Sonic the Hedgehog after he kicked open the wooden box. "Watch out!" shouts Amy Rose as a spider with 156 legs crawls out of the crate.

Should instead be...

"I never thought I'd get that crate open," says Sonic the Hedgehog after he kicked open the wooden box.

"Watch out!" shouts Amy Rose as a spider with 156 legs crawls out of the crate.

This spacing between dialogue makes the story easier to read.

Pokemon Z RPG

Little Squirt
Maybe if I get some time. I read the prologue and it seems interesting; maybe tomorrow I will go over a chapter or two or all of them and offer some advice.

Glancing at the chapters, I recommend highly that you put spaces between dialogue. For example:

*Hypothetical Fan Fiction Made Up On The Spot*

"I never thought I'd get that crate open," says Sonic the Hedgehog after he kicked open the wooden box. "Watch out!" shouts Amy Rose as a spider with 156 legs crawls out of the crate.

Should instead be...

"I never thought I'd get that crate open," says Sonic the Hedgehog after he kicked open the wooden box.

"Watch out!" shouts Amy Rose as a spider with 156 legs crawls out of the crate.

This spacing between dialogue makes the story easier to read.

That's a good idea! I never actually thought about that! I'll try that with my next story/chapter.

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
I need to reply to this place more often. ;_;

How long/short is your longest/shortest chapter or story? What makes them shorter or longer and how do you make it work?

I can't be bothered going to look right now, but chapter-wise I know at least one has topped about 23 pages, though usually I try to keep between 15 and 20. Story-wise, my longest would prolly be Heart of the Magma, which is a one-shot but is 35 pages long. In terms of shortness ... I have no idea in terms of chapters, but story-wise it'd be ... well, if we're limiting to Pokemon, then The Taming of the Northern Wind, at six pages. Otherwise, I do have a Harry Potter short which is only about 300 words.

I tend to find that action makes things longer, because you have to describe actions in more detail, so it takes a while to describe a simple thing to act out or imagine. That said, long conversations can take up a lot of space too. Mostly I don't worry about the length, though; I just think about what I need a chapter or story to do, and then write what I need for that to happen. Length, for me, is just coincidental--the 15-20 page guide (or 50,000 characters, which is roughly 17 pages) I just use because that's about the limit of a forum post.

What fandoms do you want to/have write/written on besides Pokémon?

Oh God, where do I start? Firstly, the ones I have written in: Harry Potter, Stargate Atlantis, Rurouni Kenshin, NCIS, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Naruto.

The ones I've started writing in, in the sense that I have pieces of unpublished writing for them (and which includes those mentioned above to a great extent): Fullmetal Alchemist, Stargate SG-1, Yu-Gi-Oh, DNAngel and Lord of the Rings.

Ones that I want to write in, but haven't yet (but have actually planned or have the basic idea for at least one story for): Star Trek: Enterprise, Pretear, Pirates of the Caribbean, Numb3rs, Inuyasha, GetBackers, Diablo, The Black Magician Trilogy, This Present Darkness/Piercing the Darkness.

And ones that I just want to write for but have no story ideas for whatsoever: Resident Evil, Chronicles of Narnia, Saiyuki, Animorphs, Star Wars/Jedi Apprentice.

That said, my main fandoms--the ones for which I have the most planned or the most written for, or feel the most inspired by right now and are thus most likely to write for in the near future--are Pokemon, Harry Potter, Naruto and Rurouni Kenshin. And possibly Fullmetal Alchemist, just 'cos of recent spoilers. And Lord of the Rings, just because I love my story idea in that so much.

Er ... yeah.

Spontaneous challenge idea: Pick a character, any one you own, with an at least somewhat unpleasant past. Now imagine they're locked in a room with a particularly malevolent Drowzee, who is in the process of using Dream Eater to dig up their worst nightmares. What do they see?

... I love this idea and it even relates to a story idea I've been writing lately, so while I'm tempted to write something ooh, maybe I can write an introductory one-shot from a different perspective showing an event that's going to happen in the story which will totally fit the theme of the challenge yay plotbunnies it would give out a lot of spoilers not just for the story but for the character, and I'm not sure I want to do that.

Or I could just find a different character to do it on. *snrk* Surge, maybe.

... Actually, that's a fantastic idea ... *brain's already spinning with backstory to The Rookie's Handbook, yay* Why do I get the feeling I'm gonna attempt this challenge, even though I failed hard at the last one ...?

Toastedbagel

HUGGY TIME!!
The only things I could think of that I would want to write on besides Pokemon would be Haruhi, Mario, Code Geass, Death Note, the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Calvin and Hobbes, and SSBB. And I'd love to write something original sometime.

I'm not really picky though, if I get a good idea for a fic or rp I'll do it. Also, I came up w/ an idea for a crossover combining most of the above series.

Last edited:

Diddy

Renegade
longest thing I've written is Angel of Mercy, which topped out at about 20-21 pages.

Took a while to write that I assure you xD

Conversely, I've written a small fic (that has gone unposted for now) that's only about 4 and a half pages long.

Fandoms, I really prefer Pokémon because it offers massive leverage, but one I would like to write for is Star Wars, it's a massive universe and you can do a lot with it. I can already picture what terrible applications the force can be used for :3

I don't think I'd like to write for Harry Potter, too much is left unsaid in my eyes in terms of the world (not that it isn't detailed, I think it's very detailed) but I can see a lot of times where I would have to improvise magic and items and such and I don't like adding to the universe too much, whereas Pokémon is so undetailed in terms of daily life items and such it's easier to make stuff up without it looking weird.

I'd like to write an Elder Scrolls fic. That could be fun.

Usually I jump on challenges (and this one seems really fun o_o believe me it does D: ) but I have far too much on my plate at the moment. I need to finish what could have been my HG/SS one-shot entry had I not got annoyed with it. I've got back into it though :D Eusine + Suicune is fun to write about.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome, Venomfrog - added you to the 1st post. Also - Toastedbagel, get snapping for your deadline is a day or two away! *throws motivational bagels*

purple_drake said:
I need to reply to this place more often. ;_;
Indeed you do. =P But it's good to see you here again.

I believe that there's certainly enough agreeance for the challenge then. =) Updated to the first post, and have slapped a tentative deadline - end of next month seems like it'd be enough for people probably (and hopefully for me as well XD).

Oh, and what about a new topic? While I went and reread something this that came to mind - I wonder how other people dealt with this, or if they haven't yet how they would do that. =P

How do you write battles or believe a battle would go with a water pokemon without legs (e.g. Goldeen) in battles on land?

(Although tbh a lot of crazy Pokemon-logic stuff can be questioned by fanfic writers.) =P

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
How to write battles with Water-types on land... magic water bubbles. Always. It's a sphere of water that hang in the air around the Pokemon, so that they can swim through the air, more or less. Ground-type attacks do hit the bubbles (disrupting them or something, but not enough to break them). For added fun and complexity, some Water types are 'tough' enough to work without them: Gyarados, Milotic, legends, other strong evolved Waters, plus the half-land ones like the turtles. In some cases, I even make it dependent on the Pokeball: a regular Pokeball won't have this feature, but a Dive Ball will always produce a salt-water bubble.

*pokes Toastedbagel*

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
Eusine + Suicune is fun to write about.

I hate to advertise my fic again, but after writing Beasts Like Us I have to agree. =D

How do you write battles or believe a battle would go with a water pokemon without legs (e.g. Goldeen) in battles on land?

HOLY COW FFL FORMAT

Anyway. Feel free to not take me up on this since I am notorious for gently hand-waving unimportant things like the laws of physics, but I would take the PMD approach and make them float. (One of my older stories mentioned this in passing, so now I can do it no other way. =D) My excuse is that all Water Pokémon have developed lungs for use in the air, but cannot simply walk onto land because they very often don't get too far just by flopping around.

Last edited:

Toastedbagel

HUGGY TIME!!
NO! THE POKES! THEY BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRN!

I don't really foresee there ever being a situation in which that happens in something I'd write, but... If the Pokemon was completely untrained to be on land, I would have it flop around, flopping towards the other Pokemon for physical attacks. It'd probably take damage from not being able to breathe very well (I think most Pokemon are sort of amphibious) and be very innacurate. If it was trained to fight on land, then it would probably ride around on a wave or in a water bubble that it created, attacking as normal.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Things like Gyarados and Milotic (to a lesser extent, Huntail and Gorebyss as well) would be easy to function out of water--like snakes. Heck, in DPA, Gyarados battles in the empty lakebed by slithering around, so there's canon precident.

Pikachu Kid

Female pikachu kid
Hello I would like to join! ^^ I have not made fics yet cause i just joined this forum but I will make lots of them! I love making Pokemon FanFics, I also love to write stories! Is it ok if I join? thank you ;)

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Added you to the list, Pikachu Kid - welcome. =)

Also Toastedbagel got a week extension for the deadline, so...now it's the last two days again! Hence ye shall go forth and poke Toastedbagel about it then - it is your job as a member of this club! ;p

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
Indeed you do. =P But it's good to see you here again.

*hides* I are not lazy, I swear!

Well, the water pokemon I've used in battles so far have all had legs or lungs (like vaporeon or gyarados). Otherwise, I do think of pokemon as being physical creatures, not magical, so if I do write a battle in which a water-dweller is on land, they'd mostly just flop around and suffocate.

The thing is though, I don't think of it as an issue as much as people seem to; I mean, it's just like asking 'how do you write a battle using an onix/geodude/growlithe in the middle of the ocean?'. Some pokemon have certain environments that they excel in because of their typing or physiology, and certain environments that they can't touch for the same reasons. Realistically speaking, if you're going to use a water pokemon without lungs and/or legs, then you make sure there's a water source around to use.

Otherwise, I do kind of imagine that pure water-dwellers can be trained to control their, eh, 'flops' or 'bounces' or whatever to get them where they want to go, and learn to override the feeling of suffocation to fight for at least a little while. That said, I can't imagine anyone except a really experienced and talented trainer would be able to train their pokemon to overcome basic instincts like that, so I don't imagine that any trainer worth their salt would depend entirely on it. If they want a water-type that can go on land, they would choose one that is able. So it's not likely to happen in any of my fics unless a trainer's back is really to the wall (which is, then again, reason enough to do it ...).

tl;dr I think of it as more an issue of a trainer's team strategy (which pokemon to use where and when) than a story's descriptive or narrative power (how would I write this?). If that makes sense.

SerenadeSP

My Loyal Feraligatr
I'd like to join.

I'm currently working a Pokemon fic that has Egyptian/Roman influences that I plan on calling "Tamer's Archives" and so far it has being going pretty well. I've already planned out the basic plot and a few of the details but I've been having problems with word repetition and I'm not very satisfied with some of the descriptions in the parts I've already written. >_< Anyone willing to beta?

I’ve done a lot of storytelling in my life but until recently I’ve only done so using comic-style storytelling. So when I decided to switch over to writing I hit a few road blocks but I’m not giving up easily.

Otherwise, in my opinion, my strongest point is plot. I usually can think of a story or an idea I could use in a story from the stupidest little connections I make in my mind. About half the ideas used in the story mentioned above were created from ideas I had for fics that either never got started or were scrapped. I tend to do that over and over again until I finally decide to stick to one fic.

So... yeah I'm here ^^

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
SO PUR HAS QUESTION ABOUT THE CHALLENGE.

I've finished the fic, but I just checked back in the Club and realised that I got the wrong attack: I've been using Nightmare, not Dream Eater. XD I think it slipped into my mind because, considering the description of the challenge, Nightmare is more suitable--since the nightmares themselves cause damage with their presence, whereas in Dream Eater it suggests the dreams are taken away.

So, my question: is the use of Nightmare instead of Dream Eater still within the boundaries of the challenge?

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
Well, I have no clue if I have authorization to answer that question, but considering I thought it up I'd say I do. Anyhow, seeing as Nightmare does actually make more sense than Dream Eater now that I think about it again, that sounds perfectly fine. |D And if you're wondering where mine went, I'm going to have to fulfill the challenge a little... late. So yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.