• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
What kind of experience do you go through when reading an older work of yours? Do you cringe, raise your eyebrows in your past wittiness, start rewriting the mistakes, etc? Is there any excitement or amusement that you find while doing so?

I'll get nostalgic and touch it up.

When you wrote your first fic, how long did it take you to actually home in on what you really wanted to do with the plot/climax?

Not too long--ironically enough, I got bogged down with a filler.

What type of scenes you would consider your weak point? Your strong point? Is there a scene you really want to pull off in the future?

Weak point: Beginnings

Strong point: Comic, musical number, and crazy scenes

How much focus does food get in your fics? Is it briefly passed over, melts into the background, or is it non-existent? Is there a scene in your fic that relies on food's presence in order to move the plot further?

If food is involved in my work, one of two things will happen:

A.: Perfectly normal meal

or B.: Food fight

Sometimes perfectly normal meals have devolved into food fights

Do you take a moment in your fic to propose your own explanation on how the Pokémon world's technology works? How is it done? Do you do it often? How much in detail do you go into it?

Yes I will do this if an explanation is not given or implied in the show. They are typically done in a question and answer style--one character (representing the audience) asks the questions, the know-it-all character (representing me) gives the answers. My answers can get pretty detailed, which is why they don't appear too often

In your Pokémon fics, do you guys really bother trying to give x trainer's pokémon respective personalities? And if yes, is it really that important to your writing?

Yes--they're no different than fleshing out the human characters.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
On giving Pokemon personalities...

The Pokemon characters are just as important as the human characters, in my opinion. I actually avoid the typical 'three Trainers traveling together' since, in my style, that would be way too many characters to handle at once (three humans plus three to eighteen Pokemon). And it's happened that I like the Pokemon's character more than its Trainer's character.

The thing about making personalities for Pokemon is that you have to consider things that would be unimportant to humans. Got a predatory Pokemon? You have to consider its prey/not-prey mindset and the instinctual 'happiness' of hunting. Got a Grass Pokemon? You should consider the importance of the sun and the ground. Got a Flying Pokemon? Consider how it thinks about its wings and the air currents.

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
Eheheh... Sorry about supporting the extra-topics thing, I just felt so fired up with all these new insights and ideas, I thought it'd be fun to add a li'l more discussion. ;^^

On the pokémon's personalities subject, I usually try to make them as "human" as possible, without going over the line, or even their personalities appearing to be a result to their trainer's.

For example, we have Jun. He could be considered a , the type of guy who's in pursuit of pure strength and power. You'd think his pokémon are fierce and primo, right?

This is not the case for him, where most of his anger is directed at his pokémon, where their behavior is the opposite to his. His Garchomp's more Jolly than a Ash's Gliscor, is an example of his pokémon's odd traits.

Really, I like having the pokémon to be more than little obedient fiends. Makes them a bit more appealing.

Janovy

Banned
Hi all :)

I do not know if I will be accepted in this thread as never had a story running longer than two days, but I enjoy reading fan fictions, especially the ones about Pokemon and I certainly hope I can join :p

SlowCrow

Fence Crow
purple_drake said:
Hey, woah, guys! Too many topics at once is against the club rules, remember:

bobandbill said:
If there is a new, active topic (less than a day old minimum), than please refrain from making a new topic - no need to have several running around at the same time. Otherwise, go ahead and make one!

And it gets overloading for the people who want to answer them all. @.@

Bay said:
*Looks at the huge amount of topics and dies*

Yeah, I too going to go short answers for now. D:

Griff4815 said:
*Casually avoids questions*

Whoops, sorry guys, I guess I went sorta overboard with the questions; I should have just gone with three instead of five. And hopefully bobandbill won't hit me over the head with the BANHAMMER and his ego when he gets back. Well, I guess I'll have to hold back any further questions until the discussion starts slowing down again. Sorry for the wall-o-questions scare; I did it only due to the fact that my fic wasn't nearly long enough to answer the topic that was being discussed at the time. ^_^'

And speaking of introducing a new topic, what length of time (or amount of discussion) would have to pass for a topic to be considered "old"?

While I'm here, I would like to set a deadline for August 22nd, in which I would like to write the rough-draft for the rewritten prologue for Bug III. Slather the guilt real thick for my sake. :p

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Wow, I didn't realize there was a new fanfiction club. Really, I can never keep up with these things. (If it's not in the fanfiction section, I rarely see it.) I'll have to bookmark it to keep up to date.

I would love to join again. My interest in fanfiction has always been great and while I'm horrendously busy these days, I do hope to go back to reviewing and writing regularly again. Especially because I'm about 3/4th ready with a new chapter for my fic 'Caught In The Moment'.

How DO you come up with the various OCs in your fic, if any?

I enjoy coming up with characters a lot, so I always have a few ideas running around in my head. If they fit the setting I need them in, then I throw them in.

Usually they start out as a character trait that I want to explore and/or use. From that I create a more complex character. For instance, if anyone has read my fic, Amy started out with 'awkward', while Carrie was 'nurturing' and the dodrio trainer - her name escapes me - 'flashy'.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Hey, woah, guys! Too many topics at once is against the club rules, remember:

And it gets overloading for the people who want to answer them all. @.@
Yeah - can understand the enthusiasm for topic-making and all, but not all of use have time to answer everything at once/procastinate that much. XD Besides...
Bay said:
*Looks at the huge amount of topics and dies*
...we don't want our members to die now, do we? And god forbid letting griff get away with being casual, even if it was his birthday. =P Hence why that rule is there and all, really. *throws his banhammer as his ego levels up to over 9000*

But welcome anyways, SlowCrow. As for how long between topics... about a day between each one is what I'd say is fine, more or less - there's no exact hard line with it though, just a guideline so people don't die.

And welcome to Mrs. Lovett and ben_pokemon as well. And Silawen, who almost ninja'd my post and escaped my notice! =)

Well, I have a bit of time and no drive to study any longer, so I'll actually answers those questions anyways. Whee, questions... with spoiler-filled answers! Oh well.

I haven't had to come up with many, tbh, given my fic works with characters from Pokemon Colosseum. XD A fair few though of those characters are NPCs, which come with very little of a personality and so forth attached to them (or basically none at all), so with those minor ones I can practically make them my own.

Of course, most of those end up having a brief cameo already given their lack of importance in the game and nothing more, but a few characters stick around for a while. Furthermore I have the odd character not based on any NPCs, since a number of scenes and hence characters, I make up to explain parts of the game.

What kind of experience do you go through when reading an older work of yours? Do you cringe, raise your eyebrows in your past wittiness, start rewriting the mistakes, etc? Is there any excitement or amusement that you find while doing so?

Like others... I'm still on my first fic. XD I have a few older 'versions' of earlier chapters about though, so I suppose I cringe a little, yet. XD

When you wrote your first fic, how long did it take you to actually home in on what you really wanted to do with the plot/climax?

I'm... still on that first fic. =P And considering I am kinda following the Colosseum plot (only making it BETTUR!!!1!!) it wasn't hard for me to follow it. XD Yeah... probably not the question for me.

What type of scenes you would consider your weak point? Your strong point? Is there a scene you really want to pull foff in the future?

Hmm... Romance might be a weak point for me, considering I actually haven't given it much of a go. Yeah... Others may include the suspense, serious scenes, or tragedy, simply as I don't really feel as comfortable writing that sort of thing as other genres. Battle scenes may need a bit of work as well.

I'd say my strength is comedy - by far my favourite to write, and easiest for me to slip into as well.

As for scenes I'd like to write... idk. Anything with Tom (character or mine) and/or Miror B always interests me however. XD Wouldn't mind battle scenes so I oculd improve in them as well...

How much focus does food get in your fics? Is it briefly passed over, melts into the background, or is it non-existent? Is there a scene in your fic that relies on food's presence in order to move the plot further?
=D

Well, in my fic I have this thing going, in which within every chapter, there is a pastry, or pastry-related item. Kinda just came out of nowhere, but I've run with it so far. Sometimes it's just a casual mention others it serves a purpose within a joke.

Furthermore... within my fic, an Umbreon has a liking for bacon (and Spoink), a Plusle has a love for potatos, there's a food-fight scene, and at one point food is used to get on the good side of Pokemon, temporarily at least.

Yeah... I sure like food in my fics. XD

Do you take a moment in your fic to propose your own explanation on how the Pokémon world's technology works? How is it done? Do you do it often? How much in detail do you go into it?

Occassionally I may have an explanation on something in the Pokemon world and technology, although admittedly there's not much on that - my explanations in my fic tend to be more Colosseum-related and all, explaining features and events and what-not in Orre instead of some things in the Pokemon world as a whole. Well, so far, that is...

In your Pokémon fics, do you guys really bother trying to give x trainer's pokémon respective personalities? And if yes, is it really that important to your writing?

Like others, I also bother giving x trainer's Pokemon a personality of some sort, even though I don't believe I'm all that good at it. XD I find that differing characters interacting can bring about many an opportunity for comedy, and as I try to make my fic as amusing as possible at times, I tend to look into giving Pokemon personalities to allow that.

That, and they just tend to be important characters in my fic as well, especially as it deals with Colosseum's story and hence Shadow Pokemon - I've been careful to try and implement some sort of character development and show a gradual purification process taking place.

Updated your deadline, SlowCrow - you're already close to it as well, so... hurry up! >:)

(And purple_drake, you have a bit under two weeks.) =P

Janovy

Banned
It is relatively easy for me to make up a character, as I easily add them all weakness and strengths, fears and wishes but I mostly come up with them by reading novels or watching television :p

I laugh :D
Seriously, all my past works have been so dull and boring without any description until I've read that thread for aspiring authors. Ive also read NE by Bay what inspired me not to give up so I continued and here I am working on my fic.

I know this sounds funny but...I always think the climax first and make the characters later. So it is easy for me.

What type of scenes you would consider your weak point? Your strong point? Is there a scene you really want to pull foff in the future?
Romance is my weak point but I would like to try it out in the later future, though. My stronger points, mystery and comedy :D

Not big, although it is mentioned as a prize in the second chapter of my upcoming fiction.

Never did before, but I am intending too, when I come to the Pokemon storage system which will play a huge role in my story. I will explain how do trainers store their Pokemon into computers.

Yes I do and it is very important for me. Pokemon are living things too and they have emotions just like humans. They can be ignorant, bossy, arrogant or even slacking. It a part of nature.
---------------------------------------------------------
YAHA!

Man, this took a while. Why so many topics at the same time. Anyway, thank you for letting me in your club. I will let you know when my fan fiction is posted so you review it (if you want to) :p

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
What type of scenes you would consider your weak point? Your strong point? Is there a scene you really want to pull off in the future?

Hmm... descriptive scenes, I'm bad at. My strong point is probably stuff with character interaction and development. And yes there is...

I address the eating of food. It always bugs me when people never eat in trainer fics. I wouldn't say it's a plot point though.

Diddy

Renegade
I'm taking the questions from quotes okay. Yes I am lazy -_-

I rarely write canon characters. I think the only time I did was in Angel of Mercy and for those of you who read it you'll know I never really did make Nurse Joy a very good canon follower xD

I usually just make up a person who I'd like to have in a certain situation and fit an appearance around them. I do base some OC's off people, but they are rare, it's usually just a homage anyway.

If I made a funny, I usually laugh at how brilliant I was... or fairly witty. Anyway, it wasn't really old but when I read over chapter three of a fic I'm writing now I couldn't stop laughing because I made it a jokey (but still plot serious) chapter, but in general you shouldn't take it too seriously.

All my REALLY old work got deleted in the great memory wipe of about a year ago, back when I used to write on the family computer. I know it was terrible though.

I usually just think of a general plot then make up plot points as I go along. Although there is one thing that I want to write. Something what I call a 'concept arc' somewhat akin to a concept album. I'm having a theme and writing a small chapter arc which sits in that theme and whilst essential plot progression it doesn't really go anywhere. It's there to be awesome xD

Weak point - probably keeping a scene going for longer without boring the reader or making stupid, inane points.

Strong point - I can quite funny when I want to be. Erm, does rambling incessently about non-essential things count?

As for the future I'd really love to pull off a true horror scene.

It's not focused on but it is there. For example I have a scene where the MC talks about what food her pokemon would like to eat, there are a few scenes where she eats with her parents. But something like food is something you can be expected to have beyond the fiction. You know it's there but it's not really needed in most fics. My best portayal of food? Definitely my first posted one-shot Serial where the MC eats the kirlia's heart.

I've written an essay about the history and construction of a pokeball. No seriously, I'll post it here if you want xD

It was going to turn into a fic but then I got bored with it.

Most definitely. I try to bring them into the forefront and make them characters in their own rights rather than supporting cast. Favourite pokemon written? (Besides Ramirez obviously) Probably the banette who spoke only in rhyme from an unposted short chaptered fic.

Yes, certainly a lot of questions xD

Last edited:

SlowCrow

Fence Crow
purple_drake said:
May I ask the motivation for this question? XD
Well, I wanted to create a more or less nonstandard question where I would have to make the author double take in order to answer it. It seems like it worked for some while making others somewhat giddy. :p

bobandbill said:
Yeah - can understand the enthusiasm for topic-making and all, but not all of use have time to answer everything at once/procastinate that much.
Eh heh heh. Yeah, sorry about that again, but at least people are answering them on their own will and making decently sized posts because of it, right? ^_^'

bobandbill said:
But welcome anyways, SlowCrow. As for how long between topics... about a day between each one is what I'd say is fine, more or less - there's no exact hard line with it though, just a guideline so people don't die.
It's always good to be welcomed; especially since I haven't really been welcomed to anything on these boards, kaw! <:V

As for the recommended subject length, wouldn't that mean that we would have to get some new questions after today to replace the subject-fest that was here? On second thought, we would have to wait for the procrastinators and people who're busy to give their input before the next subject since there are SOOOOO many questions (I mean, we almost lost one due to shock! :O).

bobandbill said:
Updated your deadline, SlowCrow - you're already close to it as well, so... hurry up! >:)
And I suspect that a flurry of index fingers will descend on me at midday Friday to poke me to finish that rough draft; hopefully, it'll pressure me enough to write it. XP

---

And seeing how I posed all of these questions onto you guys, it's only fair that I answer them myself (and I'm copying Diddy because it looks neater that way). :D

Although my reaction varies from work to work, but cringing, however, is always present when I’m reading through works that I’ve done long ago.

When I’m reading through some of the newer scripted works I still have laying around, I tend to scrunch my eyebrows in confusion over the word usage and grammatical errors I find, but raise them in equal but slightly more awestruck confusion when I can see some actual humor. If I don’t put it away due to the sheer cringing, I’ll get to the unfinished section of the scripted work and actually ask myself something to the effect of: “Why didn’t I write more of this? It still manages to be somewhat gripping through all of its flaws!”

As for the older scripted works, I tend to overlook the word usage and grammatical errors that I would moan over in later works merely due to the fact that the characters in those works have even more defined personalities than any of my newer works; it’s something that bothers me each time I read them. Other than the characters, however, those old scripted works don’t have anything that hasn’t been done better with the newer scripts.

When talking about my fic, Bug III, however, things get rather cringy. Since it’s actually my first work that I have actually intended for others to see, I take every error in execution in logic, emotion, or general organization a lot harder than I would if they were in my scripts. I could hardly look at a good three-quarters of the fic without cringing to the extent of closing out the document. I actually stopped writing Bug III a short while after posting it on the Fan Fic boards here (you could still find its dead corpse with a simple search) after a set od reviews by Dragonfree really made me think about the quality of my work. I initially stopped to reflect, but that time turned into days, weeks, months, and is quickly approaching years due to the fact that I could hardly look at the fic without cringing to the Close button. Like my oldest script works, however, Bug III has the faintest sense of interestingness that makes me wonder why I haven’t finished yet, which is why I’m looking to rewrite it. Now the problem is gaining the confidence in skill to make it work. @_@

As of now, I hardly know how Bug III will really end, let alone the climax. I have a faint idea in my head of what I want to do with it, but I want to see how far I could get with my characters before I could see how far I can go with the plot and it’s mysteries.

From what I wrote with Bug III and some hindsight, I could tell that I could do some decent, fast-paced action scenes if I honestly tried to.

As for my weak points, that would be anything I haven’t tried yet (which would range from angst to romance) , but I know it’s anything that involves my characters becoming emotional and/or endangered, as I do not have a grip on portraying emotions correctly yet. I also have problems with describing scenery effectively, as well as logical errors.

A scene I really want to do would be a flat out heartwrenching scene that would make the reader cry every time he/she thinks about it. I would like to do a scene like that either near the end or sprinkled throughout Bug III if I really could. The exact reason why is simply because emotion is something I have trouble with, and achieving such a scene to an extreme success such as that would prove that I have mastered it and could pretty much conquer any other aspect of writing that I so choose. :D

Well, this happens during the bulk of the first section of what’s written in Bug III, so I’ll say it. A student who’s trapped in a burning building uses a bag of leftover potato chips (or crisps as you guys in the U.K and Australia would refer to them as) to get a Charmeleon to guide him out of the school; as for what happens next is a spoiler.

Other than that, food hasn’t been mentioned at all in Bug III, which is something I’ll have to fix… >_>

I can’t really answer this question, but I would like to be able to soon in the future of my fic. As for what I’d like to get into are Pokémon attacks, typings, and TMs & HMs as well as some of the items and berries. I don’t expect to really dive into it right away (or even one chapter), but I’ll probably have to explain them over a period of time.

And why not tackle the other handful of topics while I’m at it? :D

In your Pokémon fics, do you guys really bother trying to give x trainer's Pokémon respective personalities? And if yes, is it really that important to your writing?
Personalities aren’t something I just know I simply do not excel at, but I intend to make (most) of the Pokémon have some sort of personality without actually needing to speak. The fact that some Pokémon have distinct personalities and others not is something that’ll play a significant roll in the fic; I just to need to know exactly how, is all. @_@

All of my characters are OCs, and they all tend to be random civilians who are pulled into a conflict that is AGES old due to the fact that I add a little more depth to them as I try to write them. Most of the time I didn’t even intend to add those characters in the first place, but they somehow manage to conveniently fit the need and I just use them since they’re already there! :p

---

And before I go, I would like to ask if the ONLY thing we do in this club is answer questions and promptly leave, because it would be an awful waste of a whole club rather than a discussion topic. <_>

I guess that wraps up this post. I'll be working on the prologue in the meantime...

-____________________- Kaw.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
It's always good to be welcomed; especially since I haven't really been welcomed to anything on these boards, kaw! <:V

As for the recommended subject length, wouldn't that mean that we would have to get some new questions after today to replace the subject-fest that was here? On second thought, we would have to wait for the procrastinators and people who're busy to give their input before the next subject since there are SOOOOO many questions (I mean, we almost lost one due to shock! :O).
...Curiously, did you swallow a crow at a young age, or something? =P

And that recommended time-to-wait-for-a-new subject length (which had been set when this club started out) was for the situations not involving a lot of topics being made at once. =P I suppose in this case there's plenty of topics to last a while until they dry out properly. XD

There's also no necessary need to have a new topic every day - just if conversation has stalled or the such, or if someone has a question they want answering. Just a generic minimum, if you will.
A student who’s trapped in a burning building uses a bag of leftover potato chips (or crisps as you guys in the U.K and Australia would refer to them as) to get a Charmeleon to guide him out of the school; as for what happens next is a spoiler.
Never heard chips being actually referred to as crisps here in Australia, actually - we much prefer the word chips. But nonetheless, bribing Pokemon with food is always a fine idea. Even British-speaking Pokemon.

And before I go, I would like to ask if the ONLY thing we do in this club is answer questions and promptly leave, because it would be an awful waste of a whole club rather than a discussion topic. <_>
Of course not - doesn't have to be just answering the topic questions - as long as one discusses or talks about writing or fanfiction subjects in some way, then it's quite fine. There's a fair bit that can stem from that. (And in another sense, as long as it doesn't break forum rules, it's fine). There's already been posts that haven't been on the topics, for instance. =) And maybe there'd be some (short) writing challenges later on?

*pokes others to poke SlowCrow to hurry up and overcome the deadline*

*pokes SlowCrow to hurry up and overcome the deadline*

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
OK, I've concluded two things.

1--I need to work on chapter 20 of Obsession
2--I need outside help with this.

And since my normal two motivating forces are starting school, I turn to you. Who here's read Obsession and would be comfortable with discussing plot, character, and misc notes with me? Oh, and who doesn't mind spoilers.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan

I'm still on my first fic. And to answer the question.... uhhhh.... home in on what I wanted to do with the climax? .... Well.... this is sort of -ahem- embarrassing... ^^;;;

Diddy

Renegade
Sorry BG, don't really know anything about the certain anime character you're writing about (Lawrence III in english I think?) never watched that movie.

But yeah, I would like to see some small writing challenges. Even if it's something like the 'describe in 150 words or less' thread in the authors cafe a few months back. Or even something like 'write a small article for a newspaper' it'd be fun for a little exercise so the skills don't stagnate.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Awwww.

I'm always surprised how many Pokemon fans never saw 2, but then I never saw 5, so...

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
When I read an older work of mine, I laugh at my mistakes. At the time the writing probably seemed flawless to me, but now that I'm more experienced, I find hundreds of little errors. I don't go all out and say 'EEEWW!' but it scares me a little that at one point, that would have probably been 'awesome writing' to me :/

In your Pokémon fics, do you guys really bother trying to give x trainer's Pokémon respective personalities? And if yes, is it really that important to your writing?
I give them subtle personalities, but I don't really focus on them too much. I usually just focus on their immediate likes and dislikes that would differentiate them from another Pokemon.

Yes. The Pokemon world, as I write it, is based partially off of anime and what you would actually find in real life. I just ask myself "How would this work in real life?" A lot of the things in the anime aren't explained fully, and I like to elaborate on those things. Basically, I try to make the Pokemon world as real as possible, and I go into detail explaining it in my story.

My weak point has to be romance. I simply can't develop a good relationship in a story without making it predictable and cheesy. Romance fictions don't really appeal to me (to write), but if I feel that I'm capable, I might try to write one in the future. My strong points are comedy and horror, and you'll see a lot of mood-switching in my writings :p

Araleon

Chill
Welcome to the club, SlowCrow!

Wow. That's a lot of topics. I'm only gonna answer one for now, and get back to you on the others, mostly because this one jumped out and bit me...

Yes. A 1000 times yes. I think that the Pokemon deserve their own personalities too, after all, they're just as important as the humans. Without them, the story would be nonexistent.

Besides, Pokemon have so many possibilities for personalities. My personal favorite Pokemon I've written about so far would be... Oh, that's a tough one. Definitely one of the Pokemon from my one-shot...

Venomoth was a lot of fun, and so was Flareon... And Stantler. then again, all of the 'eons were fun because they're so different. Like I said, a tough question. Bay, Breezy, Golden, and maybe elyvorg if she got to my one-shot will know the personalities I'm talking about.

In the fic I'm planning, I'm excited to right about this one character: a Togepi. He's going to have a Gofather-like personality. Very Italian, very mafia. Very fun. ;)

Last edited:

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Blackjack Gabbiani, barring questions of how much help I might be and taking for granted that I'll be active here on-and-off, I would be pleased to discuss Obsession with you. I don't believe in the principle behind spoilers (a good story is riveting even when you know all the major plot twists), so there. I've watched all the early movies, it's the 6+ ones that I no longer get the hang of.

Depending on the story, any of these things. Melancholy at the fact that I once could spend five hours consecutively typing out another chapter, amusement at how it wasn't really that great from a critic's perspective, cringing without end when I see something particularly embarrassing (such as one certain use of the word 'chariotest' in one of my old poems--never come under the influence of poetry by people significantly older than you!), followed by a paranoid search to wipe out all surviving copies of the work, and always quite a lot of encouragement to go rewriting--none of which amounts to anything constructive.

Either at once or never. At once because the original idea I had before starting the work didn't change significantly after all my embellishment, and never because the plot was constantly gaining new meaning and new purpose, a process that would only end when the fic finished--which never happened.

Weak point: human interaction. Dialogue is a mystery I haven't ever quite unraveled, and I can never see relationships between my characters as much different from the coexistence of different themes in a mind or different elements in an ecosystem. Perhaps because I don't really recall the last time I had a complex and significant relationship with any other human? Consequently, my scenes of importance to human relationships turn out either completely incoherent (dramatic lines with no comprehensible meaning) or extremely feeble (as though here are two people who really can't relate desperately trying to have small talk). Naturally, my rare dabbling in romance turns out ghastly.

Strong point: personal revelation or other access of emotion. Half my one-shots are about people transcending to a higher plane of existence. I have lots of creative fun with describing the limitless joy of an enlightened soul, or the botomless despair of an unlucky one, and usually represent it in quite elaborate visions. This is probably also because of all the practice I get IRL; one would imagine from looking at me that I pass through at least six cycles of wondrous joy and tragic despair before breakfast.

Battles are things I want to perfect, and probably will in my next fiction. My old habits of dramatic pyrotechnics are sort of menaingless under the WOW factor, and often undermine basic battle mechanics. A good faniction battle is not complete until it pulls all the threads of ATK, DEF, SPD, advanced strategy, and all that into something that has real meaning in the story.

Not much at all; I have a habit of glossing over corporal matters, so much so that most of my fics wouldn't be much changed if all the characters were ghosts without bodies. There's the concept of assimilation heightening in Aftershock, which involves consuming the raw meat of pokémon as a VERY unrecommended drug and steroid, but even this eventually evolves into a simple injection.

I was intending to make my magnum opus in that regard in Aftershock. The world would be backed by an advanced sort of 'coding' in a simpler plane of existence called the theoretic plane, and by making 'modules' in this coding one could develop technology that bypassed normal physics to get the effects of most of the Pokémon world's devices. (A bandage or antibiotic ointment uses matter to try and force a damaged body into healing; a Pokémon Restoration Machine firmly rooted in the theoretic plane repairs the pokémon's soul using direct thoughts and concepts, and in this universe by repairing the coding of the body the body becomes whole.) However, more important matters took over and I never really got down to a proper explanation, revealing a few scattered theories when they were really needed in the plotline.

It probably has to do with the (possibly unhealthy) way I see Pokémon canon: not so much a universe to elaborate on and play around, as a medium for my writing. There are these institutions, which I can make the modus operandi of my characters; there are these physics and pokémon, which can represent themes of my own, but most all else I take as up to me. (Which might be irreverent to canon.) So first I think of an idea: a character going through these mental and emotional trials: and then I see how it might incarnate in the pokémon world. I've written about far too few canon characters than I'd like to, for that reason; most of my stories are either AU or in different times than the games/animé/manga.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Can't say I've seen any of the movies bar the first one, myself...
In the fic I'm planning, I'm excited to right about this one character: a Togepi. He's going to have a Gofather-like personality. Very Italian, very mafia. Very fun.
That's sounds kinda awesome. And amusing. Especially as I too plan to write on Togepi. XD

Oh, and I urge all of you in this club to give SlowCrow a good poke. The deadline for him, you see, is now! (more or less)

*shouts gibberish at SlowCrow*

Status
Not open for further replies.