• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
Yaaawww... You guys had fun without me? The large break I had from all things fanfic discussion-related was a bit of help, I suppose. If any of you did read my fic as of late, well... I guess you could say it's a little better than its original quality *represses pessimism*

Let's see what topic questions I can answer now before school kicks back in for me.

What's your opinion of the overused/underused Pokemon philosphy?
Don't care about it when I'm writing. I'll never become the type of dude who sets everything up PERFECTLY from the start (Which is why I generally bash my own fanfic, since its set-up is generally loose and bases itself on whim and satire). In general, none of the characters have 'mons that straight-forward follow their character, instead, their team is generally made from whatever 'mon comes to mind (Example being early-on in Like a Line Drive!, William catches a Gligar. Why? Because... It was there. Don't really care for Gligar, nor did it have a huge amount of importance. It's a 'mon he caught).

I do understand when people have a team line-up set up perfectly and ready, but... Even if I did that, I'll always deviate from it, and generally curse myself for doing that, when I took the effort of planning out everything.

All in all, I generally don't deal with tiers, favorites, or really anything for that matter. In a sense, the choices I made for what characters get what 'mon is similar to how I nickname my 'mons, all on a whim, no theme, flow, or balance.

What sort of themes do you put in your writing, if any?
All my writings' usually based on a satirical or pessimistic view-point of the topic at hand. My mentality is that, if I write something completely negative 5 more people will try to liven it up, as I've seen from day-to-day life how many people try to cheer those that are wallowing in a blue funk. Really, I find it more fun to see the world in a dark chroma, while others show me the light without me needing to place a huge amount of effort in trying myself.

Do you think Pokemon should be more animalistic, or human-like?
Mmm... Frankly, I just write Pokémon for how they are. I really don't know how to explain how I describe them, they just are. The most "human" pokémon I've ever written would be, in my opinion, Liru, whose Straight-Man personality is the complete opposite of her fellow pokémon. In a sense, she's a slight more logicial, and perhaps more intellectual, but she can never understand why she doesn't know what "fun" is in the opinion of her fellow species.

Yes, yes, I made giant blocks of text. If there's any need of elaboration of what I've just said, don't be scared to quote me. I won't bite! ;^^

Scytherwolf

What's your opinion of the overused/underused Pokemon philosphy?

To be honest, I don't care in the slightest how popular or unpopular a certain pokemon is. I look at a pokemon for what it is, not how often it's used in stories. I use what I like and what fits the story-I really don't care what pokemon "everyone else" is using. Their stories have nothing to do with mine.

I generally avoid the stories where people mention they have a big issue with overused pokemon. That always seems to me that they care about the species more than the personality. Whether or not that's true, I don't stick around to find out. I look for another story. I also don't get why these people have no problem with all the human main characters. (And if anything, shouldn't that show that characters of the same species can have widely different personalities, even if there are a lot of that species?)

It gets even weirder when people get all upset because someone else is using an overused pokemon. (And I mean a non-legendary, one that fits the story/makes sense/etc.) Actually, I find the fact that they care so much and get so worked up about something so trivial in someone else's story mildly disturbing.

So, in general, I find the whole fuss a useless argument over something that doesn't really matter. When I read a story, I'm looking for a good plot and characters and good writing, and I could care less how many underused pokemon they shove in there, especially if the personalities are not well done.

Last edited:

GoldFlareon

Flareon lover. ^^
Scy, you are so right. Seriously, why does it matter what species it is? I mean, if you have a fear of a particular Pokemon or don't like them for a reason, that's different, but overused and underused? I mean, why should underused Pokemon be "better" for the story that "overused" Pokemon? You'd include a Pokemon because of your love or interest for its species, and if it fits the story--not because it's uncommon to see in stories. And if you love a Pokemon lots of people write into stories, what's the big deal? Like Scy said, they're going to have different personalities and stuff, so why would people think against using a Pokemon others have used before?

I think it would be stupid to neglect a particular Pokemon species simply because someone else has used them. What's the difference? Besides, how degrading to the character would it be if they knew the only reason they're in the story is because they weren't a normally used Pokemon?

By the way, is it okay for me to join? xD I'm a good friend of Scytherwolf's.

;136;

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
I don't do the whole overused and underused thing. Like I said before my main character has both an Eevee and a Charizard. I'm surprised I'm still alive

Scytherwolf

I don't do the whole overused and underused thing. Like I said before my main character has both an Eevee and a Charizard. I'm surprised I'm still alive
Who were you talking to? Or are you answering the question again? (Didn't read your first reply yet so I'm not sure what you're talking about.)

GoldFlareon

Flareon lover. ^^

Why are you surprised? Well, if you eat, drink and sleep, you're bound to be alive. Just make sure you don't eat the wrong things. Oh, and exercise helps! Also, try to avoid running in front of cars and sharp knives. They're scary. o_O

;136;

Aura Master

Smell of Success
After snooping around Shadow Lucario's recent post's because he told me to check something on his thread, I realized I forgot about this club.

I'm not sure if this was re-done but I coulda sworn I was in the last club.

If not, re add me please.

Last edited:

GoldFlareon

Flareon lover. ^^
After snooping around Shadow Lucario's recent post's because he told me to check something on his thread, I realized I forgot about this club.

Anyway,

For the overused and underused.

Sadly, people really have a knack for eevee/evolutions and fire Pokemon starters for some strange reason. As for me, I'm more of a Slowbro/Sandslash/Houndoom kinda guy but eevee/evolutions and fire Pokemon starters do show up a ton. Mostly in new fics that don't go anywhere.

The only excuse for an Eevee is if it has sentimental value to it.

Like, say the Character saved Eevee from

(lol) But any reason other than sentimental value is pretty much stupid becuase they are invading our fics and they get a little cliche.

Lol you quoted me. xD

BUT OTHER THAN THAT I MUST POINT A FINGER AT YOU. The main character in my story is a Flareon (both an Eeveelution AND a Fire type), and that's because I love them, AND I love my character a lot. How is that "sad"? I couldn't give a rat's arse who else has used them--and why does it make a difference? I betcha this Flareon is not the same as any other Flareon you've seen, as she can't be.

Besides, Houndoom are used heaps. Does that mean now you're gonna classify them as 'overused' and now you're gonna hate them and say they're only good for sentimental reasons?

Hmm... Let's put it this way. How about we have a go at people who write stories about humans? Oh, what an overused species they are! They're only good if they have a sentimental value to them, or if they're saved from

cars and sharp knives

by other characters.

CLEARLY humans are invading our stories, and frankly I think it has to stop. People who use humans are stupid and unoriginal and cliche and bla bla bla bla bla

Okay, basically, that's what I think of people who say the same about Pokemon. So, do you think that you should not have human friends because everyone else in the world have human friends? Seriously, they're invading our lives and they're only good if they have sentimental values.

And you know, my story is going somewhere, thank you very much! By the way, does that mean you shouldn't make friends with someone because they're popular? What if they're really nice and you could be great friends?

"NAH THEY'RE POPULAR SO CLEARLY THEY ARE ONLY GOOD FOR SENTIMENTAL VALUE AND IT MEANS I SHOULDN'T BE FRIENDS WITH THEM"

Sure, if you don't like the Eevee race, that's fine, but saying that they're only good for that is so not right. Just because they're popular, does that mean they're automatically bad and useless Pokemon who shouldn't be used? How does that even make sense? AT ALL?! Am I going to change my hard core love for Flareon just because they're used more often than some Pokemon? Why would I do that? It's just the same if I were to add one or choose not to add one to a story.

Your logic really is terrible, sorry to say. =/

;136;

Last edited:

Aura Master

Smell of Success
Sure, if you don't like the Eevee race, that's fine, but saying that they're only good for that is so not right.

I love the Eevee race. I just hate scrolling through a fic and seeing more and more Eevee as a trainers Pokemon.

The point of that post, obviously, from the title of the topic, is that I'm pretty sure, Eevee is overused.

I'm not saying it's bad, or just because it's in a fic, the fic is bad. I'm saying that there is a lot of them. Is that too hard to understand?

You take things WAY too heavy.

Just because Eevees are overused doesn't mean

Am I going to change my hard core love for Flareon just because they're used more often than some Pokemon?

Hey, um...yeah were talking about Fan Fiction. Just because I said Eevee's need development has ABSOLUTELY..and I mean ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with you hard core love with Flareon. Its just so insane how hard this is to tell you.

Your whole reply pretty much revolves around that you THINK just because I said that they are overused, that they are horrible Pokemon and people need to stop liking them. I really was no where near to saying that. At all.

Your logic is really terrible, sorry to say. =/

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
You know I have never seen a Flareon in a fan fiction. This is of course limited to the fan fiction I have read. I would say Flareon is underused because I haven't seen any in a fic.

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
Sorry to intrude, but I would like to input my two cents on this case.

I do realize there's a lot of 'mons "overused", in one sense, as a starter for main characters (Usually the cute ones, such as Vulpix and Eevee), which, before, was the sole reason I really started writing Like a Line Drive!. The series itself, as I've said multiple times in the past, is a straight-on Take That!! of many patterns associated with fanfic in general. I.E., Berri, the main character's pokémon, is a direct satirical joke on the common starter pokémon in general, which is Eevee.

However... Some reviewers surprise me as they read over it, and even justified Berri's character as one that's not exactly overused, but generally free to be used, since saying a species is overrated is similar to saying a certain character or even story pattern is overrated.

And GoldFlareon, your small joke on the overused human thing reminded me of a post Dragonfree made, though it's been a while since I've seen it...

You know I have never seen a Flareon in a fan fiction. This is of course limited to the fan fiction I have read. I would say Flareon is underused because I haven't seen any in a fic.

I've seen Flareon, and other eeveelutions, used in certain fanfics. However, generally, Flareon on its own was usually possessed by a fairly minor character. The more popular eeveelutions, from what I've seen, would be the 2nd gen ones.

GoldFlareon

Flareon lover. ^^
I love the Eevee race. I just hate scrolling through a fic and seeing more and more Eevee as a trainers Pokemon.

The point of that post, obviously, from the title of the topic, is that I'm pretty sure, Eevee is overused.

I'm not saying it's bad, or just because it's in a fic, the fic is bad. I'm saying that there is a lot of them. Is that too hard to understand?

You take things WAY too heavy.

Just because Eevees are overused doesn't mean

Hey, um...yeah were talking about Fan Fiction. Just because I said Eevee's need development has ABSOLUTELY..and I mean ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with you hard core love with Flareon. Its just so insane how hard this is to tell you.

Your whole reply pretty much revolves around that you THINK just because I said that they are overused, that they are horrible Pokemon and people need to stop liking them. I really was no where near to saying that. At all.

Your logic is really terrible, sorry to say. =/

Actually, that is easy to understand, but you were saying that they're only good for one thing, and therefore that indicates you don't like them. And how is it hard to tell me? You've only posted two posts so far!

And I wasn't referring to you living Flareon, I was giving an example--if OTHER people want to include Eevee because they love them so much, then what's wrong with that? You implied that they're only good for one thing, meaning that if someone's thinking about adding an Eevee but it's not for the reasons you suggested, then they shouldn't do it, considering Eevee are 'overused'. And so what if they're overused. What I'm saying is from my point of view you are saying that an overused Pokemon is a bad thing.

I think I misinterpreted some of your post, but my logic isn't terrible. =/ Put yourself in my place: someone else says Eevee and their evolutions are overused and are only good for one purpose, as well as Fire types, and then you're told that Fire types show up a tonne in stories that don't go anywhere. Uhh, hello? A Flareon as a main character? My story's kinda new. I think that'd offend anyone.

"But any reason other than sentimental value is pretty much stupid becuase they are invading our fics and they get a little cliche."

See? Any other reason is pretty much stupid. That so implies that overused Pokemon are bad.

;136;

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
LightingKimba said:
I've seen Flareon, and other eeveelutions, used in certain fanfics. However, generally, Flareon on its own was usually possessed by a fairly minor character. The more popular eeveelutions, from what I've seen, would be the 2nd gen ones.

I also think this to be true. Umbreon and Espeon are among the overused Pokemon. I plan to break this mold in Dedication Through Light and Darkness, but I won't say which evolution as some of my readers may be lurking in this thread.

Aura Master

Smell of Success
Yeah, I think I skimmed over Like a Line Drive a few times...Though don't remember much of it.

I wasn't litterally saying Pokemon were used. Not overrated, used alot, if that makes more sense.

For the last time, with all the sanity I have left in me,

They are not overrated nor a bad thing to use. Theres a lot of em. Which is really not too much to understand.

Remember, NOT OVERATED...Just...flippin....theres not a lot of em. Can we all read this thoroughly and understand?

Just because theres alot, doesn't mean...they are overated.

OK, New topic.

GoldFlareon

Flareon lover. ^^
Yeah, I think I skimmed over Like a Line Drive a few times...Though don't remember much of it.

I wasn't litterally saying Pokemon were used. Not overrated, used alot, if that makes more sense.

They are not overrated nor a bad thing to use. Theres a lot of em. Which is really not too much to understand.

Remember, NOT OVERATED...Just...flippin....theres not a lot of em. Can we all read this thoroughly and understand?

Just because theres alot, doesn't mean...they are overated.

OK, New topic.

xDD And I got you annoyed.

Well, I was actually saying that to ME that's what it sounded like you were saying, and I even already said that. NOW I know you're saying it's not a bad thing, but I tried to tell you that I thought that's what you meant. The way you said it made it seem so, especially because you said they were only good for one reason, and any other reason was 'stupid'.

New topic sounds good. -.-

@Lightning Kimba: I have no idea what your point in the post was (xD).

;136;

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!

Sounds like a bit of a case of Tropes are not all bad, really. Just because there's a pattern, it doesn't mean it's horrible (Many stories get de-rided when an author finds an overused pattern bad).

And GoldFlareon, I've meant... "Hmm... Let's put it this way. How about we have a go at people who write stories about humans? Oh, what an overused species they are!"

+ Aura Master, you should PM/VM how you like LaLD!, if you ever get the time. XD

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I know Ralts is considered overused, but I gave Veronica one in Obsession because she has to have something to reflect her emotions, a point that'll come into play later on.

For having as much of this plotted out as I do, including symbolism, I really should be able to write it faster, shouldn't I?

Anyway heck, I gave Asaph a Milotic simply BECAUSE it's overused. I needed a water type (water is symbolic in the fic. See if you can pick up on how) and elegant, and Milotic's the most overused, spammed pokemon EVER when it comes to "elegance".

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
Guilty as charged in using Pikachu, the starters, Eevee, Vulpix, etc.

I feel that so long as you give them a unique personality, they'll stand out

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Whe, activity. (And whee Christmas soon!) Firstly...

Yes, this is a new club. Added, and also added you, GoldFlareon. =) But I will say maybe cool down a bit with the discussion before anything escalates - no need to say 'your logic is terrible' here to each other. =/ Let's all be one big happy family. Or something like that. =P Although that means we should all give each other presents and I doubt I have that much money for all of you.

It is a good topic though (kudos, FlameRose)... I believe some problems (from what I've seen in other discussions) people have with the 'overused' factor with certain Pokemon is down to a few things, e.g. the conception that trainers given Pokemon like (shiny) Eevee, Pikachu, etc can be Sues - although such Pokemon can be commonly seen in a team of a Mary Sue, the species themselves do not mean the character is a Sue themselves - and also that after seeing many fics with the same Pokemon over and over, and hence deviate from those in an attempt to read fics with different, not-oft-used Pokemon.

Myself though I don't really care so much - I'm perfectly fine if the trainer has a, say, Spoink or the usual Ralts for a fic if the story is good and the Pokemon is used well for whatever purpose they have in the story. It's not the Pokemon that matters so much - it's how you use it.... yeah.*whistles*

I've actually have a fic idea brewing which involves the Ralts line, because the species themseves seemed to be the only one that 'fit' the story I had in my mind - so if I ever write it I'll have no qualms in using it. =)
I've seen Flareon, and other eeveelutions, used in certain fanfics. However, generally, Flareon on its own was usually possessed by a fairly minor character.
Heh, Flareon is somewhat the least-liked Eeveelution from what I've seen (not just in fanfics btw) - it doesn't exactly have much going for it. =/
I also think this to be true. Umbreon and Espeon are among the overused Pokemon.
Heh, I have those two Pokemon in my fic. XD (Less by personal preference and more a decision to keep things in-canon with the protagonist's teams - going by the game after all). I've read a few good fics with those two Pokemon though, including one very good one over herea year or so ago... only the author disappeared only a few chapters in ASAIK. =/

Now where was I? Oh yes, writing after 3am. Whee.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
The reason I have a leaning towards using rarely seen Pokemon is because I love all Pokemon. There's none that I consider a complete waste. I love to find a way a Pokemon considered useless could be considered useful in the Pokemon world itself. Random example: Magnemites, while being normally power-sappers, could be used to locate problems in electrical systems if trained properly.

I think it's great that you use the Pokemon you love. But what about the Pokemon that nobody seems to love? Or at least nobody shows that love. Like how I love Whismur and I use it whenever it seems appropriate. But then I love a bunch of others, like Unown, Beautifly, Cradily, and lots of others that don't seem to show up very often (which is why I was happy to find a fic that revolved around a Lileep...).

Plus, the Pokemon a Trainer character has reflects on the human's personality. That's why you can say most Bug Catcher types are impatient (Bug types evolve fast) while Dragon Tamers are patient and persistent (Dragons grow really slowly). Yet the Bug Catcher may be able to better handle death than the Dragon Tamer. Someone who has a Milotic might have a streak of vanity, or at least a passion for beautiful things, while someone who has a Muk might be anti-beautiful. And yet, even that is not absolute.

The Pokemon world is so colorful...

@bobandbill: Writing a bit late, aren't we? hehe. I've done that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.