• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since my account change, I haven't been in clubs much, nor have I written a lot, but I've been picking up on that whole scene [...] again, so I would like to re-join.

I suppose, though, I'm still not exactly writing actual fan fiction yet. I'm working on the framework(s) of a video game project currently called PROJECT: Panopt!con (indeed, with exclamation point (maybe to be changed to interrobang for added awesome) and capitalization AND colon cancer!). It's rather difficult to keep track of, considering the narrator is so unreliable that... it... can't keep track of the present and what is real or not. However, it's reasonably easy to write, since I'm not doing much beyond deriving from old, old, old role-playing, etc. projects, and on some level it's a bit of a final catharsis for all of those largely abortive projects. (I do, after all, have to do something with this massive knowledge bank of pointless crap at some point.)

I am considering partaking of the challenge addressed on the front page if it still ends at the end of this month. Considering because I still have Rayman 2: Revolution to beat (not that it should take me the rest of the month...) and I would like to have at least the first scenario for the other thing written out in its first draft.

So. Yes. To re-iterate the first part: could I join your little cult group?

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
Well, I have no clue if I have authorization to answer that question, but considering I thought it up I'd say I do. Anyhow, seeing as Nightmare does actually make more sense than Dream Eater now that I think about it again, that sounds perfectly fine. |D And if you're wondering where mine went, I'm going to have to fulfill the challenge a little... late. So yeah.

Exactly! 8D Thanks for the reply.

For those interested, the fic is now posted under the boring title of 'Nightmare'.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
DANG IT, HAVEN'T BEEN HERE IN A WHILE! D:

University can bite my shiny butt. :p

ANYWAYS, I'll try to come here more often, but can't promise you that. D: Soul Silver, Heart of the Sea (yeah, should get back to that XD),job applications, and later university again are taking up my time now. >.>

How do you write battles or believe a battle would go with a water pokemon without legs (e.g. Goldeen) in battles on land?
Pretty much for the most part I just use Pokemon that are capable of land like Gyrados, Milotic, Vaporeon, Quagsire, Swampert, Blastoise, etc. I did use Whiscash, but it's only because he's in the sea already. >.> But yeah, the other water Pokemon I just have the scene set up where there's water nearby.

As for the challenge, sounds fun. Hm, might do a NE spinoff and have Brenda as the star of the one shot.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
*wanders in sheepishly* Yeah, I...kinda died with laptops a-failing and uni. But fear not, the fanfic club still lives! Lives!

Natuarlly I didn't get to do the challenge either... anyone else did besides purple_drake? =P

Maybe the challenge should continue though seeing people seem to have forgotten about this place for a bit, hmm. Thoughts, people?

Oh and...for discussion's sake: What do you hate the most in/about fanfics?

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
And once again, the day is saved, thanks to bobandbill!

I'm sorry. Fail reference, but I couldn't resist. DX
Thanks bobandbill.

What do you hate the most in/about fanfics?
Erm, that's hard for me to say, as I don't read much fanfiction. I guess what I hate most about fanfics is that unless I'm really in the mood to write, and I can write relating to the emotion I'm feeling, I can't write at all. I'm not a good writer by nature, and being able to write with emotion is really hard for me unless I'm feeling that emotion at that time. Writing with description sucks too; I like doing it, but it's difficult and what comes out doesn't seem to make sense.

Not sure if that's what you mean, bobandbill, but I decided to try do waht I could to keep this club up DX

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
What do I hate most in or about fanfics... well lately I've been annoyed at the amount of shipping fics; I've been trying to find something interesting to read in the Star Ocean or Kingdom Hearts sections of fanfiction.net and you really have to shift through the shipping to get to anything... I don't hate it, per se, it just really bugs me.

What I do hate is a story that starts out great with an enthusiastic author... and then just dies because the author has gotten bored of it. sigh. is so sad.

I've been thinking about another forum writing contest. Unfortunately, I'm tied up in other things right now, so I couldn't run it. But I thought of a subject, so long as nobody minded another Pokemon-only contest. It's a tall tales contest. Actually, the more specific term is fish story, but I wouldn't want to confuse anyone about it being Water-specific! It's where you take an event that could happen in a game (preferably a rather mundane ordinary event) and exaggerate it to epic proportions.

An example would be the first time I tried to beat the Elite Four in Pearl and wasn't prepared for Cynthia's Garchomp... so I ended up getting into a drawn out Earthquake-Earthquake-Hyper Potion/Ether battle that seemed to last forever. The fish story version of that would be me and Cynthia completely leveling the Elite Four stadium trying to beat each other in such a manner.

Those stories are fun!

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
Ooh, that would be fun--I could tell about either my pulling an Ash or the first time I beat Liza and Tate on Emerald

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
What I hate about fanfiction is that I don't seem to be able to write for long stretches of time. Right now, it's been nearly a year since I could write anything that didn't involve forcing myself to do so.

SilentTogetic

Genie-Like Nerd
Hi, I'd like to join.
With fanfiction and writing, my interests tend to waver a bit. I write quite a varity of fanfiction, and I get inspired by a lot of different things. I haven't written too much Pokemon, though.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Added, SilentTogetic. [/late]

That sounds like an interesting idea there, Ysavvryl. I can imagine many a thing about Pokemon being grossly exaggerated. XD

As for the topic I made up: besides my own laziness in writing (=p) I do agree that one of the things I hate is the lack of finished fics out there - so many fics gt startd only to be abandoned later down the track. It's all the more annoying when it's a fic you review, and even more so when it's been going for a while and you've happened to really like it. But I suppose that it's a fact of fanfics that only a few chaptered fics get to the end.

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
Yaaww... Back again for a bit, sorry for the continuous amounts of leaving the forums and coming back to 'em after a month of inactivity (Though probably no one misses me anyway. ;p). Schoolwork's been taking its toll, as well as writing my fanfic, which I've recently reseted over a loong while of contemplation.

It's really a pet peeve of mine to deal with criticism. The problem really isn't me disliking people taking apart what I do, and telling me what I should do about it, it just feels that the people who DO criticize and help with my fic really think I don't know what I'm doing with it in the slightest.

Example being was my aforementioned reset of Like a Line Drive!, where my friends found that I took their advice, though I told them before I was planning on reseting the series before anyway, considering the amount of mistakes I needed to rectify. However, they continue to tear apart needlessly at what I do, thinking that, in certain points where I DON'T agree with them, that I simply want to create a trashy fanfic series.

It's usually things like wording I can agree on when I see it, since I do have a tendency to use randomly odd prose without really noticing it until someone tells me that I've done it. When it comes to story line things or dialogue, however, when I REALLY want to keep something, and think it's fine, THAT is usually the instance where my friends attack my logic of writing, saying I don't know what's natural or real. I just feel that the critics I go to (Which, more often than not, are my friends) really want to help me, but I don't want to hurt them with the fact that I think they're wrong about what they want me to correct. They say that my way of story-telling's horrible, but... I just want to write my story my own way, and I'm open to some criticism and advice (Or at least I believe I do). I just find it silly that I HAVE to act upon everything someone notes to me.

And yeeah, that was kinda long-winded. My main plans for a while is just trying to get organized about writing, and I do really wish for people to support me and help me out with this fic, if anyone's willin'. ;^^ (And sorry for the plugging-ish way of my mannerisms at the moment, I've just been swamped with stuff to do and whatnot).

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
So I'm going to work on Ob21 soon! Once an event is done in a roleplay I'm in, I'll be hiatusing from it and buckling down.

Of course I have no idea what's going to happen in Ob22, but a friend coming to town in July will help me with it.

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon

That original stuff is hard to find--but this depends on the fandom

Scytherwolf

The whole overused/underused pokemon issue. It's a huge turn off for me if the author of a fic states that they don't want to use overused pokemon; it makes me wonder if they care more about the species of the pokemon than their personality. I avoid fics written by authors who seem overly concerned with how popular a pokemon is.

Another thing I don't like is when gym leader's pokemon show literally no emotion throughout the entire gym battle, even when the main characters' pokemon do.

And, lastly, villains with no personality and wild pokemon who are portrayed as evil (I mean beyond being territorial, such as being unnecessarily cruel when it makes no sense, or (in pokemon POV fics) where the author gives them dialogue to show how eeeevvvviiiiil they are, making me wonder whether that random pack of mightyena/houndoom/scyther/sneasel are there to catch food for themselves and their packmates/children or to monologue at the main character who's usually too small to need more than two pokemon, let alone a whole pack, to take down anyway.)

I guess I wouldn't find the territorial pokemon thing so annoying (as long as they weren't monologing) if the story didn't seem to want the reader to think that any pokemon who threatens the main characters, even if it's justified (as in the territorial issue) is evil and deserving of punishment. I wouldn't mind it if it were only the characters that thought that, but I don't like it when the whole story seems too biased. (And on a related note, I really dislike it when pokemon owned by mean trainers are shown as being just as deserving of getting beaten up as their trainers apparently are. It's not that I think it's bad that they got beaten in battle, but when the main character and/or their pokemon acts like the pokemon are the ones who deserve what they got, it just makes no sense to me. Of course, if the pokemon actually are deserving of it for whatever reason, I wouldn't mind it if the main characters reacted that way.)

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
All right people! I'm going to start on Ob21 this week and we'll see more of that award-winning character development. Hopefully. It's also going to be the last "slow" chapter since by this point all the seeds will be sewn for Jirarudan's future and I won't have to be as conversational any more.

Although likely I'll have to rewatch all his scenes in the movie. Wish me luck.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard

Like Scytherwolf I hate the whole overused Pokemon thing. You should use a Pokemon that fits the situation even if it is what some people deem overused. Want to use an Eevee? Go ahead. As long as they have a personality I don't care what Pokemon it is.

On a side note I finished Dedication Through Light and Darkness. Yay me :3

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
I agree on the evil wilds, although I don't think I've seen that overly much. An evil wild that's notably an exception is fine as an antagonist, but making an entire species of Pokemon evil is going a bit far. A lot of stories beyond Pokemon fall into that trap, especially the ones that are herbivore POV toward carnivores. It's understandable, but when you like the carnivores (Like cats, wolves, snakes), it gets irritating.

With the situation of a Trainer thinking a wild Pokemon deserved to get beaten badly when it was actually protecting its territory... you can attribute that to the Trainer being young and self-centered. Still, I hope that character isn't being portrayed as sensitive and intelligent, because that shows lack of empathy and understanding.

Scytherwolf

I agree on the evil wilds, although I don't think I've seen that overly much. An evil wild that's notably an exception is fine as an antagonist, but making an entire species of Pokemon evil is going a bit far. A lot of stories beyond Pokemon fall into that trap, especially the ones that are herbivore POV toward carnivores. It's understandable, but when you like the carnivores (Like cats, wolves, snakes), it gets irritating.

With the situation of a Trainer thinking a wild Pokemon deserved to get beaten badly when it was actually protecting its territory... you can attribute that to the Trainer being young and self-centered. Still, I hope that character isn't being portrayed as sensitive and intelligent, because that shows lack of empathy and understanding.
I tend to see that a lot (or at least I used to, when I read more fics) because I like reading stories about wild pokemon, so I read those most. I agree with you on the whole-species-is-evil thing, especially (in pokemon) when it comes to dark types and/or carnivorous pokemon.

I think I explained the second thing badly...I have no problem if the character thinks the pokemon deserves to be badly beaten (as long as it's addressed at some point, anyway, and is something the character would do). What bothers me is when the author portrays them as evil when they have no reason to be (this usually something I see in stories about wild pokemon). For example, making them unnecessarily mean (as in spending time mocking and insulting the character and then deciding they are going to torture them to death instead of just driving them out or something). I wouldn't even mind that if there were a logical reason for it and the pokemon weren't one-chapter-only villains we aren't supposed to care about, but unfortunately in the stories I've come across that rarely happens. It's not just annoying, but it kind of seems like a plot hole when the story moves on and I'm left wondering what on earth was up with those so-called "territorial" houndoom.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
That bothers me in genuinely evil characters too. There's so many TYPES of evil.

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
It's been so long since I've been here, I swear. Anyway, I'd like to [re]join.

Anyway, my interest in fanfiction varies, and I like to read it and write it equally.

Right now? The stereotypical wake-up-late-and-get-your-first-pokémon fanfic. Not that they're always bad--they can be quite good, even completely amazing, but I admit I do get tired seeing that opening overused again and again and again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.