• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Each to their own but I think a few days at least minimum is what you'd be aiming for, even with short chapters. A week per chapter imo tends to work decently from what I've seen but if you want to go faster than that, a chapter a day is probably too fast.

I'm considering the option of combining every two chapters together so they don't look as short. Might need a bit of tweaking to ensure they flow seamlessly into each other, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

As for posting pace, I'm thinking something around once every three days. Otherwise, if I only post once a week, it will take me at least two years to post everything.

Well, I failed to meet my deadline for the trailer :/ I couldn't even start. I think I'm gonna request a deadline from you guys instead of doing an arbitrary one myself.

So, here's the situation: I haven't started the story or the trailer. I have a general idea of what I want to do, enough to do the trailer at least. It's irrelevant, but I DID pick a song for the trailer xD

So can I request a deadline to have my trailer done? You guys probably know the timeframe to do these kinds of things better than I do, so perhaps getting a deadline from someone more skilled than me would help.

Making trailers for fan fictions is new to me, but if it's what I think it is and works the same way a movie trailer does, then I suggest this:

I say work on the story first, then do the trailer. A trailer is really meant to be a kind of preview and advertisement to a movie. Thing is, if you do a trailer before doing the story, you're relying too much off of ideas you only just brainstormed and haven't committed to yet. You don't want to set things in stone like that, just in case you change your mind later on and don't want those particular events to happen. Really, the best time to make a trailer is after the story is done or very close to done. You don't want to show a preview of things that won't actually ever happen.

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
Alright, I'll contribute with a topic. Of topicness!

What genre(s) as a general rule do you like/prefer to do?

I'm a rather well-rounded guy, but my preferences are action/adventure, friendship, sci-fi, and comedy. They seem like ones where you have the most possibilities for any plot twist or funny phrase. I'm a diversity fanboy, if you haven't noticed. :p

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven

Usually something adventure or fantasy related, although I never strictly limit myself into a particular genre, and enjoy dashing aspects of other genres in there as well. Horror and comedy can work brilliantly together if done with care and clever thinking, such as in the case of Stephen King's IT. Meanwhile, the movie Avatar was a great demonstration of how science fiction and fantasy can blend well together. Meanwhile, you could consider Harry Potter to be a blend of fantasy and horror.

But yeah, the more wild and "out there" an idea may seem, the more you distinguish it from everything else. It is risky and could make your story totally flop, but it also could work greatly in your favor.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Agree with Neo Pikachu that the trailer should be probably made once you've got more of an idea/writing done for your story. (Of course though if you just plan to post chapters as you write them which is fine then maybe it is not as applicable).

Comedy without a doubt - I like reading all sorts of stuff and have tried writing other ones too but comedy is the one I enjoy most to read or to write.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher

Fantasy, usually, but that's so broad that it can encompass anything.

But one of my favorite things to do in fanfiction, especially in action-heavy fandoms, is to slow things down and do a slice-of-life story. Figure out what these characters do in their down time, what they're like when they're not in battle. Sometimes it's a little hard to find readers of that kind of thing, because they expect flashy battles and lots of action, but I think the result's worth a bit of obscurity.

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
Rejoining again please! I've been a fanficcer technically since about fourth grade, but didn't know what it was called until very late highschool, and generally only consider my fanfic 'career' as starting in 2005. Pokemon is my main fandom, but not, by any means, my only fandom. I'm also an editor and creative writer by education.

I generally write short stories and novellas if only because I have self-discipline issues and take forever to finish chaptered stories, even though my mind tends toward making things big and epic and complicated, so I tend to need lots of deadlines enforced by someone not me in order to get things done.

(Speaking of, Bob, I'd like to apply for a deadline: Tabula Rasa Chapter 10 by November 30. Thanks!)

Most of my fics are set in a specific world which is, essentially, Pokemon turned live-action. It's AU because of certain aspects which have changed which characters handle what; primarily, the adults handle the evil teams in the early generations, even though canonically it's a pre-teen trainer. That said, most of that isn't immediately noticable because I tend to focus on specific characters in-between canon times rather than the canon journey. My current fic, Tabula Rasa, is about Dragon Master Lance having been captured and brainwashed by Team Rocket just prior to the Johto canon events. It's meant to be an exploration of Dragon Master Lance's personality switch between generations one and two (in the original generation two games, he was portrayed as very flippant and dry, as opposed to his serious and stern persona of the generation one games).

Drama, apparently. Or action. Or adventure. Or fantasy. Mostly, I don't think about it; I just write the story and then see what kinds of genres it fits into afterward. I tend to focus on inner character development and emotions, however, so Drama would be the best description. Often there's an element of tragedy or angst, but I generally like stories that end on a note of hope, so they're not the main genre.

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year?

Yes. I originally intended to do my current fic, Tabula Rasa, for NaNo so I could keep ahead, but my brain decided otherwise and I wound up doing a fic for ABC's new show Once Upon A Time. Which isn't bad, because it's fun and I'm never so far behind as to make myself flail, but it does mean I've been writing less of Tabula Rasa than I'd like or, really, need in order to keep ahead of it.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Added you to the member list and the deadline list too, purple_drake. So everyone, feel free to poke her! >=p

Now, we did writing challenges before - now probably isn't the best time for them given nano and all (and november is generally busy anyways), but anyone have a suggestion for say a small writing challenge in december?

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
Added you to the member list and the deadline list too, purple_drake. So everyone, feel free to poke her! >=p

Now, we did writing challenges before - now probably isn't the best time for them given nano and all (and november is generally busy anyways), but anyone have a suggestion for say a small writing challenge in december?

Obviously, I just came up with this in about a minute, but...

December challenge: Write at least 5 chapters (prologues/epilogues may count) of a novel that is of at least 5 different genres. So you'd have to branch out into different departments which may or may not be alien to you, and work relatively fast with it.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Obviously, I just came up with this in about a minute, but...

December challenge: Write at least 5 chapters (prologues/epilogues may count) of a novel that is of at least 5 different genres. So you'd have to branch out into different departments which may or may not be alien to you, and work relatively fast with it.
Hm, not sure if that challenge will work as it seems you're forcing a genre that might not fit with with the story. That's probably just me, though. Speaking of generes...

Like purple drake, I too don't think too much what genre I want the story to go and let it takes it course. I tend to like writing comedies, mysteries, and dramas the most and I'm starting to get the hang of romance.

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
Hm, not sure if that challenge will work as it seems you're forcing a genre that might not fit with with the story. That's probably just me, though. Speaking of generes...

Like purple drake, I too don't think too much what genre I want the story to go and let it takes it course. I tend to like writing comedies, mysteries, and dramas the most and I'm starting to get the hang of romance.

Well, I was more aiming for having the challengers attempt to make a story from scratch and easily be able to just slide the genres in, given that they've selected genres that they could work with best. (Not many people in their right mind would try and bend their already in progress story to alien genres, anyways.)

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Five genres in one story seems rather odd though in the one story, imo, and idk how many would be interested in trying out five different genres at once they're not comfortable with - one would be enough if someone wants to try something different imo.

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
Hm. Alright, then we could make it just one genre, as long as it's the one you'd be least familiar writing with.

I just figured that at least a couple of genres could mix together well (like action and romance) and would lessen the discomfort. And I'm pretty sure some people have done some genres quite well, and can easily combine them with just a few less familiar genres. Just my thoughts, though.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan

I'm not too sure. Mostly all that I've written has a mix of both comedy and drama. Some things will be lighter than others and others will be darker. I tend to gravitate towards the adventure genre, though. That said, I focus more on my characters than any genre in specific.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
So any objections (or accptions?) of the genre writing challenge thing for next month?

Last day of November also means Nano is finishing up, so a pre-emptive congrats to those who finished (or just did what they wanted to!) and a better luck next time for those who just participated.

Also, a new topic! When did you start writing fanfics?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
So any objections (or accptions?) of the genre writing challenge thing for next month?

Last day of November also means Nano is finishing up, so a pre-emptive congrats to those who finished (or just did what they wanted to!) and a better luck next time for those who just participated.

Also, a new topic! When did you start writing fanfics and what was the first one about?

Last edited:

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
When did you start writing fanfics and what was the first one about?

2007, I think. And my first one was Never in the Wrong Time or Wrong Place, which explains why the first lot of chapters aren't the best. It's a journey fic about a guy and a Treecko. I have fond memories of it though and I hope to try to continue it sometime now that it has a plot alongside the badge collecting.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
When did you start writing fanfics and what was the first one about?
My first one was for The Simpsons in 2005 and I wrote it in script form (actually had some experience writing scripts before). I was reading some fics of that show at a forum and most of it is written in script. There was one story where I have Grandpa dating a much younger woman after accidentally burning down the retirement home, but I didn't like the way it turned out. Oddly enough, a couple years or so after I quit that story there was one episode where Grandpa did set the retirement home on fire somewhat and he ended up seeing Selma. XD;

I didn't start posting fanfiction until 2006 and my first one was my Pokemon fic Heart of the Sea, which is pretty much a Pokemonized version of Ernest Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea. Oh man the many wrong tenses and awkward wording in the first version of the story. D:

Flame Mistress

To do? I dunno, humour, adventure and friendship, mostly (going through most of my stories stashed in my Notes, most of them were either humorous or friendship-based, with one long adventure one.

Anyway, I'm restarting an old PMD fic that I started like ages ago, because I think it might have potential. Oh man oh man, all the horrible grammar and spelling mistakes, as well as some wrong tenses here and there... And the length, oh, the ATROCIOUS length of the chapters... God, I have a looooot of work to do if I wanna fix this guy.

Phoopes

There it is.
I'd like to request a deadline.

Chapter 2 of PMD: Expectations must be done by Midnight, January 1st, 2012.

This is the fic that I was going to write for NaNoWriMo... and then I got writer's block. I'm making progress little by little but I'm not even close to finishing the chapter yet. You have permission to yell tsk-tsk me if I do not finish the chapter by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.