• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creepychu

The horror
Reminds me a little of pokenutter's Blue Snow. The entire population is all transformed into Pokemon by some weird weather event, then soon after transformed back by another event. However, if these people weren't outside when it happened, they weren't reverted, so the story focuses on one of the people who were stranded as a Pokemon.

Huh, that's an interesting twist on the same starting position. I'll be sure to check that out sometime, thanks.

I'm currently in a vacation to my mother's homeland, it's probably a good time to get some writing doing, but I just can't get in the mood to write and even if I try to I usually can't get much done. It's frustraing really. What do you guys do in order to get in the mood for writing?

Well, these things are always personal to some degree, but for me, the quickest way to get into a writing mood when I just don't feel like sitting down and writing anything at all and don't really have an existing project to continue on is to get engaged with the topic by other means, whether that's by reading a fanfic, reviewing it, snagging some poor bastard off my contacts list and talking their ear off about it, or just getting involved in discussions about fanfics in general like I'm doing with this post right here. Once I get engaged with talking and thinking about writing, or just stuff in the fandom, the urge to write something myself usually comes naturally.

Love and Other Nightmares - An unconventional journey!fic with "chosen one" cliches used, explored and crushed. Not much to say about this one, except: how do I deal with writing this story when literally every aspect of it is entirely out of my comfort zone? I hate my mind sometimes.

In small doses would be the pithy answer. There's a lot to be said for expanding your writing horizons with things you normally wouldn't even consider, but there are risks involved. When the subject matter is just plain uncomfortable, there's a risk of detaching yourself from your writing and just sort of forcing yourself through it, which is precisely the kind of situation where stilted and clichéd writing tends to spring up since it's a lot more simple and accessible than a nuanced understanding of the topic. To counteract that, I'd suggest trying to familiarize yourself with whatever subject matter you have issues with. Get to know it, get to understand it, talk to people who write about similar things and see if you can get a discussion or two going. Talk to people who have to deal with these issues in their daily lives. Best case scenario, you'll finding something about it that lets you get over your discomfort, but failing that, turning the topic into a familiar kind of discomfort rather than an exotic one can still go a long way towards helping you approach it with a level head.

The other possibility would be to try and approach the topic from an angle that does have something familiar for you. Even if the story goes into uncomfortable territory, starting somewhere you at least feel confident writing about or occasionally dipping by that sort of area in your writing is still a good idea to relieve the pressure and help ground yourself again.

Survival Project sequel - SP is my pride and joy for many reasons, and I had planned to leave it as it was until some ideas blew up in my face and demanded to be written. What I need help with is learning how to properly portray more serious topics such as physical abuse, mental illness and so on without being unrealistic and offensive. Also, how do you go about brainstorming character arcs for characters that were, well... developed in the first story?

I don't want to go into specific plot points because tl;dr. Anyone want to talk with me?

Well, this depends quite a lot on what kind of discussion you intended for. Are you looking to talk about the subject in general, or the subject as it pertains to your story in particular? Also, were you looking for a discussion with a group or more of a personal one-to-one sort of talk? I've seen a fair bit of the effects of both and I'd be willing to share what I can, but I would need to know more about the specifics before I could really give an answer either way.

To give the best piece of general advice I have, though, I'd say always remember to write about a person first and foremost. It's good due diligence to look up accounts and medical descriptions about the particular issues you write about, but a common pitfall a lot of people drop straight into is to simply copy-paste what they find straight onto their character as if they were some kind of blank slate until the moment they got their ailment, when in reality the effects of illness - particularly mental illness - can vary drastically from person to person. The basic thing that is wrong is the same (imbalance in brain chemistry, ingrained trauma etc.), but the way it expresses itself in the person's behavior often depends as much on what methods the person uses to cope with their illness as the actual medical effects of it. Some victims of abuse turn their hurt outward and start abusing people they have power over in turn, some turn inward and try to 'fix' themselves, some completely detach from the situation. The only common factor there is that they all act on their own particular sets of quirks, personality traits, and environmental pressures.

tl;dr version, what you should ask yourself is not 'how should I portray this illness?'; it's 'here is a person with this illness, how would it change them and how should I bring that across?'. Offensive portrayal of an illness comes from dehumanizing the person who suffers from it; the best way to avoid it that I've found is to simply write your character as any other character (one who you wouldn't consider ill) with the particular set of traits you had in mind rather than focusing on laying a specific medical diagnosis on what those traits are. If they have issues more serious than the rest, those issues should gain their weight from how they're presented, not what name you attach to them, and by keeping the specific nature of the ailment less clearly defined, you avoid speaking out of turn on the part of the topic that's the easiest to get wrong as a layman.

As said, I'm keeping it on the vague and general side since I'm not sure what you are after specifically. If you'd like more detail, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

diamondpearl876

Writing out of your comfort zone is definitely a difficult thing to do, but it can be good practice. I don't know if having a story with EVERYTHING out of your comfort zone is the best way to start; it's good to take things like this in little increments, just take baby steps, and give your self plenty of time to look things over. And I'm sorry to ask this, but how is it out of your comfort zone? I know you may not want to give spoilers for your fic, but is it just writing on subjects you don't know much about? I know that I, at least, have to spend time doing research for my fic so that I have at least some idea of what I'm talking about.

No need to be sorry. I'm sure most writers have experienced a character and/or story that they try to plan, but then when actually writing, things don't turn out as planned. That's basically what Love and Other Nightmares is. It's mostly out of my comfort zone because the first person narrator is not someone I can particularly identify with. Her actions and dialogue are very hard for me to understand, and therefore write in a believable way. She's very lighthearted and kind of carefree when it comes to serious topics, whereas I'm used to writing about serious situations... well, seriously. If that makes sense? Anything else would be a spoiler, yeah.

That is tricky, and I know that those subjects are hard to touch on tastefully. I haven't been brave enough to do it merely because, as I don't have experience with those topics, I don't think I can do it realistically. If you do want to include them in your story, researching those and accounts of people who have suffered under them would be the best way to go, in my opinion.

Sorry, I don't really know how to approach this, but thanks for asking the question! I've been wondering the same thing ^_^;

I've been trying to search for personal recounts about these problems, but... Well, most people tend to post just "no one understands what I go through" or "please end the stigma for this problem." It seems rude to ask outright.

My approach would be to have some sort of outline for the arc. You at least want to know where your character is at, where your character is going, and how your character gets there. It's okay if your character has already been developed; I always feel like people (real and fictional) always have more that can be revealed about them, or if they're already developed can head in a different direction or undergo some other characterization process.

Sorry if I didn't make any sense, but I hope that my advice has some merit! If you need me to be clearer, just let me know.

Yeah, I definitely plan to have an outline, I just have no ideas to start the outline with. Haha.

In small doses would be the pithy answer. There's a lot to be said for expanding your writing horizons with things you normally wouldn't even consider, but there are risks involved. When the subject matter is just plain uncomfortable, there's a risk of detaching yourself from your writing and just sort of forcing yourself through it, which is precisely the kind of situation where stilted and clichéd writing tends to spring up since it's a lot more simple and accessible than a nuanced understanding of the topic. To counteract that, I'd suggest trying to familiarize yourself with whatever subject matter you have issues with. Get to know it, get to understand it, talk to people who write about similar things and see if you can get a discussion or two going. Talk to people who have to deal with these issues in their daily lives. Best case scenario, you'll finding something about it that lets you get over your discomfort, but failing that, turning the topic into a familiar kind of discomfort rather than an exotic one can still go a long way towards helping you approach it with a level head.

The other possibility would be to try and approach the topic from an angle that does have something familiar for you. Even if the story goes into uncomfortable territory, starting somewhere you at least feel confident writing about or occasionally dipping by that sort of area in your writing is still a good idea to relieve the pressure and help ground yourself again.

Love and Other Nightmares is slightly familiar to me in the sense that it relies heavily on psychology, which I've studied extensively, but that's... about it. As I said to starliteevee, it's hard to get people to be honest with their experiences regarding what I want to portray in the story, so I guess I'm still looking for places to go into that (because, as you say later on, I could do all the research I want about facts and statistics, but it doesn't say anything about how it affects a particular person).

Well, this depends quite a lot on what kind of discussion you intended for. Are you looking to talk about the subject in general, or the subject as it pertains to your story in particular? Also, were you looking for a discussion with a group or more of a personal one-to-one sort of talk? I've seen a fair bit of the effects of both and I'd be willing to share what I can, but I would need to know more about the specifics before I could really give an answer either way.

To give the best piece of general advice I have, though, I'd say always remember to write about a person first and foremost. It's good due diligence to look up accounts and medical descriptions about the particular issues you write about, but a common pitfall a lot of people drop straight into is to simply copy-paste what they find straight onto their character as if they were some kind of blank slate until the moment they got their ailment, when in reality the effects of illness - particularly mental illness - can vary drastically from person to person. The basic thing that is wrong is the same (imbalance in brain chemistry, ingrained trauma etc.), but the way it expresses itself in the person's behavior often depends as much on what methods the person uses to cope with their illness as the actual medical effects of it. Some victims of abuse turn their hurt outward and start abusing people they have power over in turn, some turn inward and try to 'fix' themselves, some completely detach from the situation. The only common factor there is that they all act on their own particular sets of quirks, personality traits, and environmental pressures.

tl;dr version, what you should ask yourself is not 'how should I portray this illness?'; it's 'here is a person with this illness, how would it change them and how should I bring that across?'. Offensive portrayal of an illness comes from dehumanizing the person who suffers from it; the best way to avoid it that I've found is to simply write your character as any other character (one who you wouldn't consider ill) with the particular set of traits you had in mind rather than focusing on laying a specific medical diagnosis on what those traits are. If they have issues more serious than the rest, those issues should gain their weight from how they're presented, not what name you attach to them, and by keeping the specific nature of the ailment less clearly defined, you avoid speaking out of turn on the part of the topic that's the easiest to get wrong as a layman.

As said, I'm keeping it on the vague and general side since I'm not sure what you are after specifically. If you'd like more detail, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

This has been helpful, even though you've been vague, don't worry. :p As an example, the two characters I have that went through physical abuse... Well, my notes mostly consist of how the physical abuse affects their daily lives and relationships with others, etc. But I still have to ask myself, "What would they be like without the pain?" Because surely that exists too. That's what I got from the "don't dehumanize them" advice, anyway. Like I said I'm not really knowledgeable about these topics right now, so I'd rather not talk in public lest I offend someone, so let me know if I can PM you details (and if so, if there's any details in particular that you would want to know).

FullMoon

I think part of the reason I'm struggling to motivate myself to write is that I really, really hate having to describe scenery. It feels like such a chore to do and it really kills any enthusiasm I might have for writing. Description in general is annoying to me but scenery is the worst because I'm really unable to come up with a mental image of the place I want to describe so in the end I just hit a brick wall.

I have so much more fun with dialogue and actions.

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
diamondpearl876

I've been trying to search for personal recounts about these problems, but... Well, most people tend to post just "no one understands what I go through" or "please end the stigma for this problem." It seems rude to ask outright.
Well, some people might not mind you asking, but it probably would be rude to ask someone you don't know unless they've made it clear that they're open to questions on the topic; some people are in fact happy to share their experiences.

I think a good resource for things like this is the LiveJournal community little_details. It's dedicated to helping writers answer questions they have trouble Googling, and that includes things like, "I'm trying to write about a character with X, what have your experiences with X been?" For example, just a few days ago there was a question about dyscalcula that received a good response. Try taking a look at the tags to see if you can find the sort of thing you're looking for, or try posting a question yourself.

You might also consider looking for books by people who've experienced the kinds of things you want to learn more about. A lot of people with a variety of different mental disorders or backgrounds have written memoirs, and they might be able to give you some insight on what it's like to live with those problems. I don't remember reading any that touch on the topics you mentioned, but they're definitely out there. I just don't read many memoirs. :p (Unrelated to your specific question, but if you have any interest in abnormal psych at all The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat is a must-read IMO.) Personal essays are another thing to look for; The Sun is a magazine that publishes a lot of them, although very little of it is available online--you might be able to find copies at your library. In particular each issue has a "readers write" section where readers submit short autobigraphical pieces in response to a common prompt. A surprisingly high percentage of them recount some form of trauma or another, and although there's not a lot of room for reflection, they can give you an idea of how different people experience and respond to things like abuse from their parents. The magazine also publishes longer personal essays, where there's more room for reflection, and a lot of them deal with quite weighty issues, like mental illness... there's a reason some people call it "Death Magazine."

Something else you might want to do is to try and figure out what the stereotypes surrounding the conditions you're trying to portray are, what the common pitfalls of writing them are (for example, with child abuse, slapping it onto a character to make them more "angsty" or "troubled"). That can give you an idea of what you should try to avoid in your writing, but more importantly can highlight some common misconceptions about the conditions, so you might get a better idea of where to focus your research.

FWIW I think Creepychu has good advice on how to handle these sorts of characters, especially in terms of writing them as behaving how you see them behaving, without trying to assign any particular label to them, and not to let any issues they may have define them as people.

FullMoon

I think part of the reason I'm struggling to motivate myself to write is that I really, really hate having to describe scenery. It feels like such a chore to do and it really kills any enthusiasm I might have for writing. Description in general is annoying to me but scenery is the worst because I'm really unable to come up with a mental image of the place I want to describe so in the end I just hit a brick wall.
You don't "have to" describe anything. If you really can't picture the scenery, then it's probably not relevant to whatever's going on in the actual story and should just be left out anyway.

Welcome to the forums, by the way!

Last edited:

diamondpearl876

diamondpearl876

Well, some people might not mind you asking, but it probably would be rude to ask someone you don't know unless they've made it clear that they're open to questions on the topic; some people are in fact happy to share their experiences.

I think a good resource for things like this is the LiveJournal community little_details. It's dedicated to helping writers answer questions they have trouble Googling, and that includes things like, "I'm trying to write about a character with X, what have your experiences with X been?" For example, just a few days ago there was a question about dyscalcula that received a good response. Try taking a look at the tags to see if you can find the sort of thing you're looking for, or try posting a question yourself.

You might also consider looking for books by people who've experienced the kinds of things you want to learn more about. A lot of people with a variety of different mental disorders or backgrounds have written memoirs, and they might be able to give you some insight on what it's like to live with those problems. I don't remember reading any that touch on the topics you mentioned, but they're definitely out there. I just don't read many memoirs. :p (Unrelated to your specific question, but if you have any interest in abnormal psych at all The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat is a must-read IMO.) Personal essays are another thing to look for; The Sun is a magazine that publishes a lot of them, although very little of it is available online--you might be able to find copies at your library. In particular each issue has a "readers write" section where readers submit short autobigraphical pieces in response to a common prompt. A surprisingly high percentage of them recount some form of trauma or another, and although there's not a lot of room for reflection, they can give you an idea of how different people experience and respond to things like abuse from their parents. The magazine also publishes longer personal essays, where there's more room for reflection, and a lot of them deal with quite weighty issues, like mental illness... there's a reason some people call it "Death Magazine."

Something else you might want to do is to try and figure out what the stereotypes surrounding the conditions you're trying to portray are, what the common pitfalls of writing them are (for example, with child abuse, slapping it onto a character to make them more "angsty" or "troubled"). That can give you an idea of what you should try to avoid in your writing, but more importantly can highlight some common misconceptions about the conditions, so you might get a better idea of where to focus your research.

FWIW I think Creepychu has good advice on how to handle these sorts of characters, especially in terms of writing them as behaving how you see them behaving, without trying to assign any particular label to them, and not to let any issues they may have define them as people.

Well, I'll be damned. I used that LJ community years ago when researching Survival Project, and it's still alive and kicking, I see. I... actually think I'm going to post there about an issue I posted about in the authors' cafe, just because I've made little progress with that area.

Memoirs are always a good way to go, though I haven't heard of many that are about abuse in particular. And I think I'll try heading to the library in my free time for some of the other things you mentioned, so thanks.

Creepychu

The horror

I have so much more fun with dialogue and actions.

As Negrek suggested, if the description just feels like a chore then it's probably not contributing much to your story in the first place. It's perfectly okay to be minimal with environmental details if they don't play into the scene. Though, to play devil's advocate for a moment, have you considered approaching environmental description from the point of view of working it into the action and dialogue rather than keeping them separate? Instead of trying to create a complete image of the environment, try focusing on details your characters would find interesting or parts of the environment that you can use to spice up their actions. If the descriptions are all adding something to the parts you do enjoy working on, it might make them easier to get through.

Love and Other Nightmares is slightly familiar to me in the sense that it relies heavily on psychology, which I've studied extensively, but that's... about it. As I said to starliteevee, it's hard to get people to be honest with their experiences regarding what I want to portray in the story, so I guess I'm still looking for places to go into that (because, as you say later on, I could do all the research I want about facts and statistics, but it doesn't say anything about how it affects a particular person).

The same sort of place where you'd look for inspiration to write any kind of character, really. I've made friends with quite a few people who have these sorts of problems, and once you get used to the more conspicuous quirks they're really a lot like any other normal person out there. A lot of people place this rigid mental divide between people with illnesses and healthy people, when in reality it's a lot more like a continuum with some really sketchy notations. There are extreme case exceptions of course (usually involving heavy physiological problems), but people who'd pass a psych evaluation can work just fine as a basis for a character with serious issues, just as long as you figure out how they'd grow and change from them. Keep an eye out for strange little personal quirks or habits people have; those are the sorts of things that tend to get exaggerated by psychological problems and they can be found at least to some extent in basically everybody.

This has been helpful, even though you've been vague, don't worry. :p As an example, the two characters I have that went through physical abuse... Well, my notes mostly consist of how the physical abuse affects their daily lives and relationships with others, etc. But I still have to ask myself, "What would they be like without the pain?" Because surely that exists too. That's what I got from the "don't dehumanize them" advice, anyway. Like I said I'm not really knowledgeable about these topics right now, so I'd rather not talk in public lest I offend someone, so let me know if I can PM you details (and if so, if there's any details in particular that you would want to know).

Well, the point I was trying to get across (in a long-winded, could have used another once-over sort of way) is that you should try to define whatever issues your character has through their behavior, not the other way around. Basically, treat the symptoms of your character's illness the same way you would treat the rest of their character traits. Since it is an illness it might be more prominent and draw more attention from the rest of the cast than other parts of their personality, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still just one of several factors that come together to form your character as a whole. As long as you keep that in mind and don't let the 'this character is ill' part overshadow everything else, you shouldn't be at too much risk of going offensive.

But yeah, if you're worried about asking in public, feel free to PM me whatever questions you want. I can't guarantee I'll have all the answers you want, but I'll see what I can do.

Also, since it was brought up and I'm actually kind of curious now, a question for everybody:

Have you ever had a story idea you really liked but that you ended up shelving because you just didn't think you could pull it off? If so, what was it and have you tried to pick it up again since?

To give my own brief answer to that, 'yes' on both questions. It was a psychologically heavy sort of story, so I ended up leaving it on the shelf because I was concerned it was leaning way too hard towards the angst side of the spectrum and I couldn't think of a good counterbalance to even out the tone. I think I still have a planning document around here somewhere, so I'll go into more detail once I find it.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Hey, guys! We interrupt this discussion to bring you the fact that we need more nominations for the awards! Casual reminder that nominations close soon, and currently, only one person has nominated. (I'm ... finishing off my ballot this weekend. *light cough*) Please submit your nominations asap! Thank you!

Also, I'd like to welcome SnoringFrog, PhalanxSigil, and FullMoon! I've updated the list, and I apologize for taking so long to do so. :D

OKAY THAT'S ALL~!

Okay, no, that's not fair. Lemme drop in a few bold question responses as well:

So a few of you mentioned future stories in your new year's plans. I don't suppose you'd be willing to give us a little preview? Any hints as to what you're planning?

I'm likely not going to finish Anima Ex Machina, but I am going to get to the next arc, which will involve a lot of traveling, training, and cute sibling moments. In an alien zombie apocalypse.

There's also this trainer/Nuzlocke fic I've been playing with called Electric Sheep. In a few words, it's a cyberpunk fic set forty years after the events of BW. It follows Door, a teenager who acts like she doesn't want to be a trainer but actually is disgusted with the way training has evolved since canon. (In short, trainers are restricted only to certain "safe routes" because increasing city development have caused wild Pokémon to become hella territorial, never mind the fact that thugs and the otherwise less legally-minded like to hide off the safe paths because they're not monitored. Trainers are also required to travel with a Companion, an android walking Swiss Army knife meant to shepherd trainers along safe routes.) Eventually, she runs into Geist, who she's charged with escorting back to Striaton by her employer, Professor Bianca Ironwood.

And then Door finds out that Geist is a Companion. And then she's tricked into going on a trainer's journey because an organization dedicated to Companion independence has taken a keen interest in Geist for some reason. And then shenanigans happen.

I've been attempting to write this fic since November, but I haven't really liked any of the first chapters I've written. I'm hoping that I'll come up with something this year. Maybe?

Have you ever had a story idea you really liked but that you ended up shelving because you just didn't think you could pull it off? If so, what was it and have you tried to pick it up again since?
Haha, this happens to me all the time. I can't even choose one particular idea to share because I literally have enough to put into a book by themselves. Needless to say, most of them go untouched.

Last edited:

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord

There have been a few, but one in particular stands out.

See, way back in 2007 or so I was reading a lot of fics here by forum greats like elyvorg and Sike Saner, and little 15-year-old me got this idea for a fic from the perspective of Darkrai telling its origin story (apparently 15-year-old me was also obsessed with writing about Legendaries) and was like "I can do this too!"

Then I actually started writing it down, got halfway or so through the first chapter, decided "this is crap, I actually can't do this", and abandoned it. Because of that incident I never actually posted anything I wrote fanfic-wise until four years later.

(Ironically I recently found the old Word document the half-a-first chapter was written on and realized what I had was better than most of the crap I wrote back then.)

However, the story idea stuck with me, enough that I tried (and mostly failed) to incorporate variations of it into other projects. All of that culminated into me deciding last year that maybe this little Darkrai story might be worth a retry, especially since I found an angle on it that gave me a lot of ideas.

However, I'm waiting on after my next big project, Heroes After All, before I tackle this one. Partially because I have a better idea of Heroes After All's plot and that certain goals for the Darkrai story are kinda ambitious and I would rather hone my writing skills a bit before taking them on.

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain

Three words:

Cipher Theatre: Alien

Basically an Alien parody with Team Cipher admins (and probably some other Colosseum characters) in place of the movie characters. Miror B. was slated for the Kane role. The alien would have had his afro, and his Colosseum theme would have played whenever the alien attacked someone.

I entertained the notion again after Gale of Darkness came out and thereby provided a bigger Cipher cast. But in the end, while the idea amused me (and still does), it never inspired me enough to actually write it. I've only had the steam to make it a joke, not a fic.

Anyone else wants to adopt the idea, be my guest. 8D

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord

Three words:

Basically an Alien parody with Team Cipher admins (and probably some other Colosseum characters) in place of the movie characters. Miror B. was slated for the Kane role. The alien would have had his afro, and his Colosseum theme would have played whenever the alien attacked someone.

I entertained the notion again after Gale of Darkness came out and thereby provided a bigger Cipher cast. But in the end, while the idea amused me (and still does), it never inspired me enough to actually write it. I've only had the steam to make it a joke, not a fic.

Anyone else wants to adopt the idea, be my guest. 8D

...I totally would if I had ever actually seen Alien.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.

Incredible! I don't know if the world is ready for that idea. I don't know if the world will ever be ready for it.

A year or two ago, I kept trying to write a story about a couple meeting for the first time, in which one of them was on a date with someone and murdered them halfway through the evening, and the other person stepped gallantly in to help them get rid of the corpse without anyone noticing. The idea was that they'd then get talking and start to fall in love while tossing the body in a lake or something. It didn't stick, partly because the bones of the story were all wrong and partly because I just wasn't good enough to write it yet. I didn't have enough experience of shaping that type of story to turn it into something that worked, and also I was no good at ventriloquising the sort of people the story needed as its characters. So I shelved it, and then a couple of months ago I came back and rewrote the whole thing in two days. The result was probably my favourite thing I've ever written.

There's nothing quite like it when a difficult story comes together.

Last edited:

diamondpearl876

I suppose my epistolary fic "Flying in the Dark" counts for this. I feel like the idea in general is solid, but the execution needed some work, so I have put it on hiatus for a while. Since then I've re-done the first section only, and I have planned on incorporating one of the main characters into another story to give him more of a background to work with. It's definitely been on my mind, though. I'm too close to finishing it to just throw it away.

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Sike Saner said:
Three words:

Sounds ideal for a collab with bobandbill.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
...I won't lie, it does sound interesting as a crack fic or something. :V I've seen Alien as well, although only the first one.

Yep!

One was the idea I had for a sequel (or a 'part two') to a fic I wrote a couple years back for a contest on PC (Snapshots) which turned out... okay, I suppose. Dragonfree had helped judged and mentioned that she would be interested if it had a follow up, and I had some ideas on how to continue it. But each time I tried to write it it... just did not seem nearly so interesting or right. In the end I dropped it in favour of writing things that were just plain more fun for myself to write. I don't really have any plans to go back to that either, because that's still the case - between current and possible fic ideas along with webzine articles and maybe original writing ideas, I feel I have a lot that just seems more fun for myself. And I reckon that's a good enough reason.

I've had other ideas too, e.g. one that I considered for a fic contest here, but that also never worked out. Didn't quite have enough ideas for it to work it into a full story, and then ~lol, uni~ killed any time I would have had anyway. In short the idea was about a trainer having gone on the standard journey to be the champion, but suddenly getting pretty sidetracked by a relationship with another trainer. His Pokemon have a meeting to discuss how they've stopped battling and going anywhere new (yet some would be happy with just that) and if they should try and get their trainer 'back on track'. (Huh, that'd be a neat title for that if I ever pick it up.) That's something I wouldn't mind tackling properly, but it still feels too raw and unfinished.

gorgonfish

ribbit-ribbit

Early 2013 I had what I thought was a fun journey fic with a whole bunch of worldbuilding about the pokemon world and subplots involving a rare candy drug cartel and a archeologist who discovers that Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem were once space ships that brought humans from a dying alternate universe. At first there were only legendary pokemon until ditto was created by Mew as a plaything, then the ditto get into the ships' dna banks and eat all the samples. Then there was interbreeding with humans which gave some of them pokemon abilities. Then fairy type was announced and since one of the main characters predominantly used lilligant I thought it would be good to wait and find out what cool fairy moves it learned... I'm still not over the cottonball counterpart getting a fairy type and lilligant getting passed over. After the project being on hold for almost a year waiting to see how the new types and gen VI mechanics might change the story, I scavenged it for other stories. That's why in Indigo Red's mother breeds tangela and he starts out with one as an homage to the main character, and the reason behind the whole post format and pry_goon thing (Zen and the Art of Pokemon Training had a hacker porygon as a viewpoint character and I really wanted to use it). I'm still figuring out where to use the ditto body horror headcanon and 'planet of the apes' mankey subplot stuff.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
So a few of you mentioned future stories in your new year's plans. I don't suppose you'd be willing to give us a little preview? Any hints as to what you're planning?

I already mentioned one of the ideas I'm probably thinking of trying out, Through the Lenses. Gonna copy/paste some here:

There's one fic I'm thinking ideas for but I already have a title, Through the Lenses. It was originally going to be about two sisters, one of them a photographer, in search of legendaries, but I didn't get far with the draft of it. X/Y games then came with Alexa and Viola and I decided to visit some concepts from the original idea but change the plot that involves X/Y and Black 2/White 2 elements instead.

For Through the Lenses, I plan to have mainly canon characters while the antagonist likely will be original. As for putting my own spin on canon characters, I guess I did that time to time though it's moreso having them in different situations and see how they'll react.

I should mention Through the Lenses's plot will revolve around Alexa and Viola visiting Unova for the Pokemon World Tournament (Viola participating while Alexa will write an article on that). They however found someone that want to assassinate a participant there. I'm still mulling over more details how I want to approach the plot.

There was one idea someone else here several years ago mentioned but they never gotten the chance to post it. Originally I was going to have one champion have to assassinate another champion in Pokemon World Tournament. I don't think I can do this idea justice, so I decide to have the Pokemon World Tournament as Through the Lenses's setting instead.

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
With the new Fanfiction Quarterly, the (though perhaps temporary, but still very welcome) return of Silawen, and the Fanfic nominations, I'm feeling like the fanfiction section is doing really well at the moment. A big thank you to our awesome mods for making this possible, and to everyone else for putting in all of this hard work!

So so so so many. I come up with stories all the time, but then I think that I should either focus my effort into my current story or that I just don't have the experience/abilities needed to do it. I didn't ever think I would write Drowning until I decided to do some writing practice on my own, and once I started it, I never had the intention of posting it for the first several months partly because I honestly didn't think it would end up making enough sense or be worthwhile reading.

But mostly now I just come up with things that I guess would be "out-of-the-norm," like the girl having to rescue the guy or the bad guys actually having better morals than the good guys etc. But none of it ever really made enough sense for me to make a coherent story out of it. :V

And this was originally posed by FullMoon, but I thought it would make a pretty good topic, so:
What do you guys do in order to get in the mood for writing?
Listening to certain songs helps, and doing stuff that I have nothing to do but think (like swim practice when I don't have to work so hard that I can focus on other things). I'll also read someone else's story, think "That's awesome, I want to do something that cool!" and try to write my own stuff (though I have a long way to go before matching up to other writers on this site XD).

Negrek

Lost but Seeking

Go somewhere without an internet connection. -_-;

This may seem a little bit strange, but I write best when I'm really tired. So must of the time, I wait until I've had a really long exhausting day, then let the weirdness begin to flow out of me. I also have YouTube on so I can relax my brain if it's overworking at all.

Also yeah, reading other people's fics (good or bad) also helps.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan

Watching certain shows, and going for a walk in the rain/on nice nights. I'm not sure why, but those always make me want to write.

Status
Not open for further replies.