• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondpearl876

Do you always try and review every fic you read?

Yes, definitely. If I read, I intend to review. This may be because most fics I read are written by authors who read my fics as well, and I feel I have to return the favor. Even then, though, there's a 90% chance I'll give a few thoughts on whatever I've read. I've made exceptions for longer, finished works. With those, I'll leave general comments (rather than my usual chapter-by-chapter format) or, if I feel that the author doesn't need the help or has received a ton of comments already (*cough* Digital Skitty *cough*), I won't say anything about the fic itself, though I will at least reach out to the author to let them know I read it at all.

Let's talk about your old shames. What was/were the worst fanfic/s you've ever written? Leave out no small details!

My very first pokemon fic was handwritten, taking up the space of 8 spiral journals. It was a journey fic (surprise), and the characters were friends I had in real life. I threw that shameful story out years ago, so I don't know much else, except that I know raikou made an appearance at one point.

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Yep. If I didn't review it, I probably didn't read it, though that has changed since since I had put in nominations for fics that I HAVE read but haven't gotten around to reviewing. I feel an obligation to let everyone know that I've read their work and that what they've written is appreciated and, if I can, to help them improve (though this is mostly for younger/newer writers). Because after all, who doesn't love a good review to either see that what they do is appreciated or that they have someone's advice to get better?

Let's talk about your old shames. What was/were the worst fanfic/s you've ever written? Leave out no small details!
Ooooh boy. I remember a thread about this a while back, and I'll just quote what I wrote then:
" It turns out, while one person said that the description was nice, that my work--heck, it doesn't deserve to be called that, it was more like a piece of decayed food taken out of the garbage can--was about a Mary-Sue Psychic, and I had used my middle name for her. Yeah, it was a self insert.

Anyway, she had an Eevee that she got after saving from poor Pokemon that were mean to it for no reason, and the girl has amazingly strong Psychic powers that makes her stronger (both mentally and physically), smarter, and can read the minds of anyone she likes and can manipulate them and cause a mental breakdown until they're at her mercy and will do anything she likes.

But NO! The cliche-ness doesn't stop there! It turns out the Eevee can transform into any of it's evolved forms whenever it touches the element of its evolution--and can go back when it likes! And the girl is allowed to live out in the woods because the Pokemon regard her special enough to live in parts of the world where no human would have ever even gone for fear of being mauled, tortured, and killed! But she can go in there, have a nice chat with her fellow Pokes, and come out perfectly happy and unscathed, possibly with a gift given to her by the Pokemon."

Yeah, it was as bad as it sounds. And it had a pretentious title of "The Legendary Child." I'm so ashamed of it, but least it got me a start in humility and I've since learned that I really need to listen to advice from others (which I promise I always do now). My biggest regret by far though was being rude to the only person (Silawen) who reviewed it, especially as she was nice about and just pointed out my flaws but I was too proud to think that people couldn't like it. If I could ever make up for it, I would, but there just doesn't seem to be much to do about past fanfic horrors like that.

Ugh.... I need to take a shower after thinking about that *shudders*.

ChloboShoka

Writer
I once wrote a joke fic for a friend called Epic Cheese Sandwich. Well I have no words for it. It's a humorous fairytale about two lords in love and how they are reunited during the the saga of the missing cheese sandwich and war against the evil Edward Cullen. I don't know what it is, but reading it makes me laugh. Fortunately it was only a one shot.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
I once wrote a joke fic for a friend called Epic Cheese Sandwich. Well I have no words for it. It's a humorous fairytale about two lords in love and how they are reunited during the the saga of the missing cheese sandwich and war against the evil Edward Cullen. I don't know what it is, but reading it makes me laugh. Fortunately it was only a one shot.

I'm dreadfully sorry for saying this but I actually want to read this.

Brutaka

Ignition

The Gift. Jax can confirm.

But seriously, it was bad. It's my first one-shot. The premise was shaky, though workable. The characters were archetypical, and not in a good way. The grammar was poor, and the dialogue was worse. And the battle played out semicompetitvely, like, with stat buffs actually being talked about by the Pokemon. In a Pokemon-centric fic.

It was bad. It's still on the forum. No, I'm not going to link it. Reading it is not recommended.

Though I should mention - it isn't the worse the thing I've ever written. I tried writing a story in 8th grade. I got 36 pages in.
It was worse than The Gift. Severely. It was about anthros and genetic experimentation or whatever. I still have it somewhere...

But it wasn't fan fic, so it doesn't count for the context of the question.

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Yes, and the fact that you haven't seen it work for other fics (when there are quite a few works in progress out there) doesn't necessarily mean that your advice is the best for people in general either.
No, but in the absence of further information, I'm not sure what I have to go on besides "this option doesn't seem to work out for most people, maybe try something else."

That's why rewrites happen sometimes: because some people are so unsatisfied with what they're doing that the idea of continuing to work with what they have feels like a chore. It's not a good idea to encourage people to continue to build on a plot they absolutely do not want to work with if they're sure that's exactly what they don't want to do.
Of course. Indeed, total plot unworkability was one example I used for when I would consider a rewrite a good option. TheCharredDragon's post didn't suggest that they were at the point of finding their plot totally unworkable or that they were feeling they weren't able to continue at all, which is why I didn't address that situation.

This is exactly why you can't generalize, which is what you've been doing by saying that performing a rewrite neither works nor is a good thing to do.
I think you can generalize, though. If nine times out of ten something doesn't work out for the average person, I feel comfortable warning the average person away from it. Also blah blah I never said that blah ("not a good thing to do" I'll own, though--in general, not as an absolute).

My point is that there are a lot of works in progress, and to say that the methods of the people working on these is incorrect when you yourself have not done a rewrite nor thought about doing one is just straight-up unfair. You're basically speaking for these people and refusing to acknowledge that what they're doing is working for them.
I've... considered rewrites many times? I've done them in the past, right here on Serebii? I'm working on one now?

Is it unfair of me to say that the methods of people who like to write invincible characters are incorrect? If someone asked, "This last chapter I was working on is really long. Do you think it's a good idea to post a chapter over forty pages," would I be disrespecting people who post super long chapters by saying that generally speaking people find chapters of that length overwhelming?

If the answer is yes, then I don't know how we can have any sort of discussion at all. That means that any sort of criticism, any sort of disagreement, is somehow unfair or disrespectful because I haven't surveyed every single writer, accounted for their individual situation, and explained in detail why you might possibly get away with something that in general is just not a great idea. If saying that I think that the method someone uses is wrong is the same as saying that they're a bad person or a bad writer or that they specifically are doing something wrong, how can I ever try to help someone avoid the common pitfalls that writers experience?

Also, I fail to see how I ever claimed to be speaking for anyone but myself.

You are basically saying that the works-in-progress that happen to be large-scale rewrites are never going to finish (and yes, that's what you're saying by looking at things statistically, seeing that they're not finished, and saying that you've never found a rewrite that's finished, so therefore, the entire method is dangerous), which is rather discouraging and a little disrespectful to the people who are writing these stories.
Yet again, what I'm saying is that it's not likely (I said I knew of at least two that have finished) that they'll finish, not that they will. never. finish. I'd be an awful statistician if I claimed that. I'm sorry if you find that discouraging, but those are simply the facts. The disconnect for me is how this somehow goes from being discouraging to disrespectful. I would think that by giving someone my best possible understanding of the odds would be the most respectful thing I could do; wouldn't anything else be lying, if by omission if nothing else?

Yes, you're trying to offer up advice that applies to authors in general, but I do feel that in the process, you're disrespecting authors who don't agree with you by saying their methods aren't going to work. In other words, what I'm saying is you're talking a lot about statistics, but you're not really addressing why people perform rewrites.
How is it disrespecting someone to say that you think something they're doing is not working or is not going to work for them in the long term? Isn't that exactly what we do in reviews all the time? "I don't think it's a good idea to have your protagonist be such a passive character. It makes the plot stagnate." I thought the idea behind constructive criticism was that you told someone what you thought is not working so that they could fix it and do better. How would it be better for me not to warn someone away from what I believed to be a dangerous practice. You're welcome to make the argument that it's not actually dangerous, but I object to the idea that I'm disrespectful for finding it dangerous and for trying to warn people away from it. At no point did I say something like doing rewrites makes you a bad writer or makes you a bad human being.

I had literally three sentences about statistics in my previous post, which was the first to address statistics in any concrete way. (If you're referring more generally to "it usually doesn't work out," then yes, I did spend more time on that--but that's not really statistics, and I still put plenty into motivations.) Three sentences. I spent multiple paragraphs on the reasons why people rewrite things.

You literally just said that rewrites are generally bad ideas, but at the same time, there are times and places when rewrites can work. You can't say that it works for some people but that it's still generally a bad idea in the same breath.
Yes... yes I can. Maybe this is where the real heart of the matter lies. "Generally" does not mean "true in every imaginable circumstance." It means "true in most circumstances." There is absolutely no logical contradiction in saying "Generally, I think this is a bad idea, but you may be the exception."

If this is why you keep going on about how I said rewrites were never okay, then it's easy enough to clear this matter up, I guess. "Generally you should not do this thing" is worlds away from "You should absolutely never do this thing." When I said that I thought they were generally a bad thing, I never at all meant they were universally bad under all circumstances, should never be tried, or any permutation of that.

You're working with statistics and your own personal experiences to say that this method is incorrect when, obviously, it works for some people.
What... else could I possibly go off to say whether or not something has merit? What do you want out of me, here? Yet again, the fact that it may work for some people does not make it something worthy of recommendation to most or even many people. I mean, there's that one guy who apparently lives almost exclusively on candy (my idol), but suggesting that it's in any way a good idea for the average person to try doing the same would be a huge error. He makes it work! Doesn't make it a good idea for most! Doesn't make it disrespectful to tell someone that they're probably going to be real unhappy if they switch to that all-Skittles diet!

It's not okay to say that it should never be done
Great! Good thing I never said that, whew.

Or in short, I'm saying that if you haven't considered doing a rewrite, then please do not call the method generally a bad idea because you have no idea what another writer's specific circumstances are.
Even if I hadn't tried a rewrite in the past, I don't see how that fact would be relevant to my argument. And I'm sorry, I don't see why it's bad to call an option I think is generally a bad idea like I see it. I am not going to suggest that someone not bother with their dialogue punctuation because they might be the next e e cummings; I am not going to suggest that they scrap something and start over because they might be that one person in a hundred for whom that might work out. Again, if I know of specific mitigating circumstances, I will take them into account with my advice. In their absence, though, I don't see what's bad about making statements based on what I've seen to hold true for many other people.

Ultimately I don't know what was so offensive about my post. Was it the wording? I apologize if it came off as dismissive or abrasive. Indeed, I apologize to anyone who was offended by my post; it wasn't my intent at all to attack or devalue any of the writers here. I also apologize to the people downthread who are desperately posting to try and bury this conversation; I really will shut up after this, even if things get even more silly, I promise. Was it that I was too firm about my stance and did not cover potential alternatives to the best of your satisfaction? I didn't think that TheCharredDragon was really looking for an at-length discussion, but simply asking me to be more explicit about other options would have been fine. I can't tell if you're just mad about something I never said ("never do rewrites, they are unworkable and you will fail") or there's something else going on here. In the end I can't imagine that if someone had posted, "Hey, I was thinking about writing this story where the hero gets in a lot of trouble, but then suddenly Azelf appears and bails him out, does that sound like a good idea?" and I had in turn posted that I thought having a legendary bail them out was one of their worst options ever, I would have gotten anything like this sort of pushback. I'm just baffled by why in this particular issue it's sacrilege not to couch my statements in a bunch of qualifiers and "well it's okay if XYZ"s.

By straight-up saying that what other people do is incorrect while blatantly refusing to acknowledge why one happens (by saying all of this can be remedied via bulldozing straight on through and ignoring the needs of each specific situation).
I've acknowledge multiple times that some people may need to do a rewrite for one reason or another, and that there are many cases where it may be the best option. At no point did I make some kind of ultimatum like "bulldozing straight through" is universally the best option or even possible in all situations. You have been consistently mischaracterizing my argument, and I'm not sure how I could have altered my post to satisfy you.

All options are valid in that case, and there is no best way to go about fixing things because everyone works a little differently.
There is no universal best way of handling something like this, but that doesn't mean that all options are equally good. I stand by my statement that for most people, a rewrite is not the best option. Again, this may vary on a case-by-case basis, but in the same way that I would not tell someone that I think starting their journeyfic with someone waking up and eating breakfast is a great choice, I would not tell someone that starting over and rewriting their fic from scratch is a great choice. As far as I've seen, it just usually isn't.

That said, I do believe I've already asked you not to continue this conversation, so I'm going to have to ask you again. Please do not continue this conversation. It's just not going down a path that's wholly respectful of the writers of Serebii's community.
I would prefer not to continue this conversation in public either; I certainly wasn't expecting some huge thread-deraily flamewar to come out of what I thought was a pretty straightforward and innocuous comment, but feel free to contact me in private if you have anything else to say. But I find it extremely disingenuous for you to try and get several hundred last words in and then attempt to shut down the conversation by taking away my ability to reply to them, especially when you're trying to make out like I'm some kind of terrible person for expressing an opinion you don't care for. You were the one who decided to start in on this discussion, and if you want to end it, all you have to do is stop posting about it. But I'm not going to just sit around and let you spin it like I'm the one at fault for the drama here. All in all I don't think that your behavior during this discussion has been very respectful to me, and I am, after all, a member of that same Serebii writers' community you claim to speak for.

Not much of interest, really. My old stories were bad, of course, but not in any novel way--your usual ridiculous Sues and purple prose and melodrama. I thought I would write some huge multi-epic interconnected series, and that was just a spectacularly bad idea, but nothing really out of the ordinary.

starliteevee said:
And it had a pretentious title of "The Legendary Child." I'm so ashamed of it, but least it got me a start in humility and I've since learned that I really need to listen to advice from others (which I promise I always do now).
I wonder how many newbie writers had at least one story with some variant of "legend" in the title. It seems to almost be a rite of passage. :p

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I would prefer not to continue this conversation in public either; I certainly wasn't expecting some huge thread-deraily flamewar to come out of what I thought was a pretty straightforward and innocuous comment, but feel free to contact me in private if you have anything else to say. But I find it extremely disingenuous for you to try and get several hundred last words in and then attempt to shut down the conversation by taking away my ability to reply to them, especially when you're trying to make out like I'm some kind of terrible person for expressing an opinion you don't care for. You were the one who decided to start in on this discussion, and if you want to end it, all you have to do is stop posting about it. But I'm not going to just sit around and let you spin it like I'm the one at fault for the drama here. All in all I don't think that your behavior during this discussion has been very respectful to me, and I am, after all, a member of that same Serebii writers' community you claim to speak for.

I was very close to talking civilly to you and trying one more time to tell you not to continue this discussion on the thread while explaining what my thought processes were, but frankly, this is exactly what I was trying to avoid. As I've said to Dragonfree, the only reason why I spoke up was because I felt authors should be encouraged to think about all potential options and decide from there what's best for their own fic (and that we shouldn't discourage them from doing something that they feel is right for their fic). But really, I was hesitant precisely because I knew it would turn into a mess, seeing you and I have historically not seen eye to eye on practically anything, and you have a tendency to try running me into the ground whenever I try to voice my opinion. You know. As demonstrated here.

With that said, seeing as you clearly want to continue the discussion after I've told you repeatedly not to (even though you've said this is the last you'll talk about it—I've really got no guarantees that this is going to be the end of it), I'm going to have to tell you that you're no longer welcome in the Mafia. Please feel free to continue interacting with the community in the Cafe and via VMs, but please do not continue to discuss things here.

Last edited:

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
What do you guys do in order to get in the mood for writing?
Usually I have music in the background to get me in the mindset for what kind of tone I'm going for in a particular scene. Sometimes I'll also look into the original source material to get me excited.

Like Mrs. Lovett, I would try to take care a few things first so my mind doesn't go, "I should probably do x before setting some time for writing."

Back when I was very active in the fanfic section (around 2006 through 2011), I would review after I finish a chapter/story. Now these days I don't review as often as I should, though I hope to change that once things settled down.

Back in 2007 I entered the romance one shot contest and I still remember the premise very well. It's a story of the main character wanting to get back together with his ex by pretending to be someone else and they slowly fell back in love. The idea and execution is just terrible, haha.

Last edited:

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Heck yeah, lots of topics up and running right now. This is gonna be fun. :D

What do you guys do in order to get in the mood for writing?

Two things:

1.) Going on walks. Or if I'm really pressed for time, running a bit. It's something to do with getting more oxygen to the brain, I think.

Sidenote: I'm not a real doctor.

2.) Watching movies. Helps with keeping trains of thought and imagery rolling along. Choo-choo!

I think I manage it for like... pbbbblt, maybe eight out of ten that I read. Sometimes I won't have any immediate reactions to what I'm reading to document, and that's fine--not every review needs a play-by-play section. But when trying to put my thoughts into words after the fact conjures up a big fat goose egg, too... yeah.

Oh this is going to be delightful. X3

The Simpsons Book: I think that's what I called it, anyway. And no, I'm not gonna give myself too much of a break just because I was like seven at the time. It's too amusing to let slide, and besides which, it wasn't even my first fic--just the first one I remember enough about to make fun of. :p About the only thing I got right was Homer liking beer. (I made my grandpa read this fic back to me a few times one night when I couldn't sleep. He asked if Homer could drink something a little more g-rated. No, I insisted, no he could not.)

Also, there were illustrations. The only reason they didn't all look like scribbles is because some of them were cutouts of the characters from a tv guide.

Aroaz: This was an X-Men/Guyver crossover. Which I don't think I could pull off now, let alone when I was nine. Gambit was a Zoanoid and kept dumping chocolate milk on Wolverine with no consequences. The title was the name his Zoanoid form had for no explicable reason. The cover was a temporary dragon tattoo transferred onto purple construction paper, also for no reason.

The Dragons Versus the Deadly Virus: Because 1994-me wanted to believe that Hexadecimal was something way in the heck cooler than a virus, and 1994-me's idea of way in the heck cooler was a space alien that could turn into a dragon. There was a deleted scene wherein she flew Enzo to her home planet on her spiky purple dragon back without impaling him somehow. Through space. Real, honest-to-god, regular space. Also I somehow misheard the name of her cat-thing as Kathy, which isn't even close to said cat-thing's actual name, so there was that.

The Complete Tale of the Great Lure: A year or two after that ReBoot fic, this thing happened. It was basically a novelisation of a '60s Space Ghost episode, but with a bunch of unnecessary and frankly hilarious words added to the title and an equally unnecessary subplot and love interest for Brak added to the story.

This was another fic I goaded family members into reading. And printing out "ads" for it that I'd use to try brainwash said family members into being bigger fans with. Also, I used to act it out with my Primal Rage figures all the damn time. Kid!me was just that sort of a person.

And finally, the original version of Communication: The plot was about eleventy billion times more complicated than it is now and included, among other things:

• A version of Xi who'd have been a contender for Most Unlikable Character Ever--he literally pissed on people's heads, figuratively pissed on the funeral of a majorish character, and had no redeeming qualities whatsoever
  • Morgan deciding to give up contests and switch to gym battles for no good reason in-universe, and not much reason outside of it other than an excuse to pit Solonn against Glacia's horrible bitemonsters at some point
  • Not just one but TWO of the most awkwardly shoehorned-in romantic subplots in the history of ever, by which I mean Solonn getting smacked with attract in that one battle was only marginally less of a forced attraction

Also, as I think I've mentioned before, it had alternating past- and present-time chapters for no reason, and I handled the format about as well as I'd handle a bunch of broken glass glued to a dirty diaper.

Some of you might remember me mentioning that Communication was nearly complete way back in the days when I was posting TOoS here for the first time. Then it went under the knife and didn't make a full recovery for another damn decade. Now you know part of why. X3

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
... My gosh... I didn't expect my question to cause a full blown uh... Never mind... But I'd like to say JX that um... I'm a girl. X/

I'm not quite sure what to say but I'll just say this.

My first time writing a fanfic beyond the first sentence (yes, I was that horrible before) was in my notebook, its setting basically the same as my fic Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Ember of Hope, except the protagonist was Bregiya, a Driddigon who cameo-d in Ember of Hope. And...it was generally terrible... It began a bit clichéd, with the barrator going in short, "Here we are in a oeaceful place, but you won't believe that there's a war going on" then goes to Bregiya getting chased by two "evil" 'mons before falling down a lethal cliff. Only to survive thanks to well...landing in a dungeon near a speciap item that helps to make sure she's alive if she's close (chosen ones stuff).

Then...there's the grammar... Especially the ellipses... Ahem, but it wasn't that bad overall in grammar. Just the way I said thing probably seemed amateurist...

But that was for something I didn't post. The worst of my posted stories is probably...my first one, The Time of Chaos (which is similar to above in quality of writing and execution of things but I'm not sure about the plot itself) and maybe my one-shot, Dinobots: The Age of Idiocy, which is terrible to more along the lines that I basically made OCs and gave them the rumored Dinobots names...

Last edited:

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Sike Saner said:
The cover was a temporary dragon tattoo transferred onto purple construction paper, also for no reason.

I have to admit, as much as I can see the problem with this as a design aesthetic, I also kind of think it's the best thing ever.

(I am a terrible person and my art school would be ashamed of me)

My goodness. I've been writing since I was seven or eight, so of course I have a whole lot of awful, awful original fiction, but the question is about fanfiction, so mercifully you're going to be spared that particular horror. My first really terrible fanfic was my second one, a retelling of G/S/C with a few manga influences, and I wrote it when I was in my mid-teens and very determined that relentless, unrealistic, utterly vile grimdark was the way forward. I loathe that story with a passion, and I think I realised it was terrible partway through it, because I never finished it and went straight on to the other fanfiction I'm most ashamed of having my name on: an obscure little thing called The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World.

That's a retelling of R/S/E, and it is dire. It's badly plotted, sloppily edited, glaringly unfunny, and in places it seems to espouse perspectives that present-day me would baulk at even faintly endorsing. Its story is incoherent, half its plotlines are dropped and never resolved, its jokes frequently don't work, and overall it's just a bad piece of work. I'm sure I needed to write it to be able to move on to writing better things, but that doesn't stop me from wishing I never had. It's not every old story that you can look back on and recognise that you yourself are personally insulted by some of the things in it, but that's the kind of relationship I have with that one.

Last edited:

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Culterine said:
The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World.

The sounds absolutely dreadful... But the title sounds rather interesting, makes me think of all the things that such a guide would say like, "DO NOT MONOLOGUE. It's fun, true, and it's great for rubbing in your archenemy's face on how clever you are, but you'll end up ruining your entire plan if you tell your enemy of all people how you came up with it, leading to your downfall." Or, "DO NOT WEAR SUPER-VILLAIN SUITS. They look cool but you'll end up becoming public enemy number one if they quickly find out who you are (assuming you're using a variation of your own name) and the military might go after you." and "DO NOT USE A DOOMSDAY WEAPON. They almost always fail as that means your archenemy (if any) can just try to find and destroy it (unless you somehow make the weapon the archenemy or along those lines)." XD Man, I'm having so much fun just thinking about it as villainy has started to become almost like a job in the movie and TV show universes (which it technically is for voice actors and actors).

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
The sounds absolutely dreadful... But the title sounds rather interesting, makes me think of all the things that such a guide would say like, "DO NOT MONOLOGUE. It's fun, true, and it's great for rubbing in your archenemy's face on how clever you are, but you'll end up ruining your entire plan if you tell your enemy of all people how you came up with it, leading to your downfall." Or, "DO NOT WEAR SUPER-VILLAIN SUITS. They look cool but you'll end up becoming public enemy number one if they quickly find out who you are (assuming you're using a variation of your own name) and the military might go after you." and "DO NOT USE A DOOMSDAY WEAPON. They almost always fail as that means your archenemy (if any) can just try to find and destroy it (unless you somehow make the weapon the archenemy or along those lines)." XD Man, I'm having so much fun just thinking about it as villainy has started to become almost like a job in the movie and TV show universes (which it technically is for voice actors and actors).

So the Evil Overlord List? :p

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Um... As in a list of vilains to... "aspire" to? XD Probably. To show (excuse the words) "good" and "bad" villains. XD If that's not what you meant, what do you mean by that?

Firebrand

Indomitable
Um... As in a list of vilains to... "aspire" to? XD Probably. To show (excuse the words) "good" and "bad" villains. XD If that's not what you meant, what do you mean by that?

Nah, the legit Evil Overlord List. Pretty fun to read through, but also a good tool for writing. A good rule of thumb is if your Big Bad is doing a fair few of these things, then the plot needs to become a little less contrived. Unless you're planning for a Deconstructor Fleet fiction, in which case a lot of those screw ups should at least probably be lampshaded if not directly addressed as part of the chessmaster villain's plot.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Oh, I get it now. If that's the case, my thoughts for thus supposed "Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World" go like..."Here you go! Here's a good way to make sure your plan to destroy the world doesn't get stopped by any goody good guys!"

Nivinxus

I was not aware that club like this existed.... man I'm a terrible person

Why you like fanfic/writing: I always loved to explore various universes that several people have opened up. What would it be like living there? What would I have done if I were in this world? Writing is basically a world of endless possibilities, its a shame that I could not physically dive into those universes, but writing is one of the closest things to it. With writing, I can share universes that I have created myself to similar people like me.

As of the current moment, I'm currently in the works of writing out a series of oneshots with a particular universe that I'm so deeply fascinated about. Mix it with Pokemon PMD style had me eager to see how this would turn out. Admittedly, its still in brainstorming process, I'm still trying to figure out origins, history and various other setting details even if I do have the fundamentals. Of course this particular universe is based of none other than MtG's Ravnica Plane, but I also one to share the possibilities of the Multiverse that MTG's Lore is famed of.

Pink Harzard

So majestic
I have to admit, as much as I can see the problem with this as a design aesthetic, I also kind of think it's the best thing ever.

(I am a terrible person and my art school would be ashamed of me)

My goodness. I've been writing since I was seven or eight, so of course I have a whole lot of awful, awful original fiction, but the question is about fanfiction, so mercifully you're going to be spared that particular horror. My first really terrible fanfic was my second one, a retelling of G/S/C with a few manga influences, and I wrote it when I was in my mid-teens and very determined that relentless, unrealistic, utterly vile grimdark was the way forward. I loathe that story with a passion, and I think I realised it was terrible partway through it, because I never finished it and went straight on to the other fanfiction I'm most ashamed of having my name on: an obscure little thing called The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World.

That's a retelling of R/S/E, and it is dire. It's badly plotted, sloppily edited, glaringly unfunny, and in places it seems to espouse perspectives that present-day me would baulk at even faintly endorsing. Its story is incoherent, half its plotlines are dropped and never resolved, its jokes frequently don't work, and overall it's just a bad piece of work. I'm sure I needed to write it to be able to move on to writing better things, but that doesn't stop me from wishing I never had. It's not every old story that you can look back on and recognise that you yourself are personally insulted by some of the things in it, but that's the kind of relationship I have with that one.

To be honest, I enjoyed that fic a lot. But after a quick look at that overlord list, I have to admit that Zero had his flaws. But the way you describe your fic is like it is a horrible thing, while I loved the weird quirks. And well, you've got yourself a fan of Puck here.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
To be honest, I enjoyed that fic a lot. But after a quick look at that overlord list, I have to admit that Zero had his flaws. But the way you describe your fic is like it is a horrible thing, while I loved the weird quirks. And well, you've got yourself a fan of Puck here.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find it entertaining, but that doesn't mean it isn't also badly-written and offensive. Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

Seeing as we seem to have wandered onto the topic of villainy, here's a new question for us all:

What kind of antagonist, if any, do you tend towards creating? Is there a pattern to their characters and behaviour?

And, to lift our spirits after examining our worst fics:

Which of all your fanfics do you consider to be your best work?

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan

Never in the Wrong Time or Wrong Place. It was my first fanfic (although technically I had an alpha version of it before getting around to publishing it here on Serebii. The alpha version was amazing in a hilarious way.) But yeah, Never in the Wrong Time or Wrong Place was terrible for the first twenty chapters. I'm surprised how many people liked it at the time. It was full of melodramatic, sentimental drivel and teenage angst. I can't bring myself to read it. There were things that I liked about it, like some of the characters and the plot that I eventually decided on, but the rest is just not great.

Which of all your fanfics do you consider to be your best work?

Definitely my Digimon story "A Dragon in Shining Armour". I'm pretty happy with the fact that I was able to give about fifteen characters unique personalities and voices, and being able to manage all of them. It's also the first full length fic that I ever completed. 30 chapters, 741 pages and 320 000 words, so that was a big accomplishment for me. It was also the most fun that I've had writing. It's not perfect and I still have room to improve, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

I also liked my Digimon short story "Scars". That was really fun to write, and there's a lot of things in that that I'm proud of, but it definitely had a few glaring flaws *cough*30+ page battle scene*cough*

What kind of antagonist, if any, do you tend towards creating? Is there a pattern to their characters and behaviour?

Not reaaallyy... Only that I try to make sure that they're real characters and not cartoon villains that are purely evil with stock villain goals.

Then again, I've only had a few recurring antagonists and some of them are comparable to each other.

First, there's Daggerback THE OPPRESSOR! ROAR from Never in the Wrong Time or Wrong Place, and Dorbickmon from A Dragon in Shining Armour. They're both hot-tempered, opportunistic, street-smart mercenaries who rely more on their knowhow and brutish strength than formulating any well laid plans or strategies. Daggerback's more motivated by material gains while Dorbickmon's motivated by revenge towards the protagonist. I also have another antagonist for that Digimon universe, though he hasn't appeared in anything yet. Darkdramon, a sarcastic mercenary who's a bastard of an important God Man digimon, and his primary motivation for anything is money. So yeah he has a money obsession and daddy issues. Hmm... the first antagonists for the sequel to A Dragon in Shining Armour, Holy War, are also mercenaries. Yeah, actually, I have a lot of mercenary antagonists. xD

Second, there's Maxie from Never in the Wrong Time or Wrong Place (which we didn't see too much of because I stopped writing that not long after he showed up), DarkKnightmon from A Dragon in Shining Armour, and Gaiomon, who isn't an antagonist in any of my Digimon stories yet, but he is one in that universe. They're unemotional, intelligent, calculating, manipulative, polite and amiable. Maxie, well, we all know what his goals are. DarkKnightmon wants to stamp out criminals and evil Digimon but he believes that it can only be done through rigid order. Gaiomon's motives are more mysterious and he's more ruthless than the other two. He also has a fixation with his rival and protagonist for reasons.

Then there was Archie from Never in the Wrong Time or Wrong Place. He was going to be fun to write. It was a challenge coming up with good reasons to make the guy want to awaken Kyogre and flood the world, but I think I managed it. I'm just sad that I never got around to actualizing it.

In Holy War, I'm eventually going to have seven antagonists based off of the seven deadly sins, so that should be fun to do. Especially since one's a giant crocodile.

Status
Not open for further replies.