• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Do you maintain a publishing schedule for your fic(s)? If so, how does yours work?
Back when I did Nothing, Everything it was a bi-weekly to a month schedule as I got all the first draft done already and did the edits slowly. There are times the schedule changed a bit depending how busy my beta and I are. Similar situation when I did my FMA chaptered fics in which I get all the chapters written/edited first and then posting on a weekly schedule (although some of those fics the whole story has to be written before posted as they're for a livejournal community).

What words, or phrases, do you use too much?
I also use "eyes wide" too often to convey surprised/terror. Sometimes I would also use "after" whenever I'm writing a new paragraph. There's also "walk" when I want the characters to move to another location.

Last edited:

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Do you maintain a publishing schedule for your fic(s)? If so, how does yours work?
Good gravy no. I try to, and I really would like to post once every 3-4 weeks, but I can just never get around to it since I end up needing to study and getting behind on other stuff that I need to do. I have time to write, I just have a harder time getting around to it, planning what is to happen, and then actually proof-reading and posting it.

Probably more than I'm aware of.
I feel like If use "pain," "gaze," "look," and talking about how people ball their fists in anger. I also think I've started to focus too much on the slightest actions people do, such as fidgeting, and not enough to their thought processes or details. But I can't really tell.

Dragonfree said:
I've been vaguely wanting to program something that analyzes text to find words and phrases that are abnormally common in it, using some database of written works and calculating an average and standard deviation of the number of times each word/phrase appears in text of a given length. Then it could figure out when something is more than X standard deviations above the average in the given text. I'm not sure how feasible it is, but it'd be really fun.
That sounds like something way too hard and complicated for me to do, but it also sounds really useful and something fun (and educational/helpful!) to look at. If you do decide to do this, you have my support 100%.

CuriousHeartless

Why you like fanfic/writing: It is very fun and creative. I love reading fanfiction and seeing what others can come up with. I also like writing, but I only consider one of my posted stories (On here or FF.net) good and I don't do it as much as reading.

Last edited:

diamondpearl876

Hey guys! I have another question here for us:
a lo
What program(s), if any, do you use to assist you with your writing?

I ask this because I just went through all chapters of my current fic using this app. It helped me a lot with identifying wordy, confusing sentences, as well as the overuse of adverbs. (I believe I had ~80 adverbs per every 5,000 words, when the recommended amount was only ~45.) For anyone with issues writing active and passive voice, this could help too. I actually learned that I -don't- use passive voice that often, which made things easier when editing.

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain

Nothing special, unless leaving a browser open with a noise/rain/music site running so my train of thought doesn't get derailed every nine seconds counts. Apart from that, I just

• open a document (usually along with an arseload of other documents containing notes)
  • do what I can wrt writing forward
  • save
  • rinse
  • repeat
  • proofread xnumber
  • edit xnumber
  • see previous two entries.

So yeah, it's mainly just eyes that handle my ****. My eyes, other people's, the eyes of the gnats that land on the screen from time to time.

The gnats have yet to offer any coherent input, for some reason.

gorgonfish

ribbit-ribbit

Evernote: I use this to do all my worldbuilding and character notes. It's simple to get around in and the interface makes it really easy to hop from the notebook for one series to another.

Word 2013: Been using it forever and Google Docs rubs me the wrong way.

Excel 2013: Outlining. This makes things so simple. Break down chapters by scene, keep record of word and page counts, easily back check which characters are in what chapters and their locations.

8tracks: I use this for background music while writing. It helps that playlists are made for the specific fandoms, but usually it ends up being foreign music. I don't understand the words and it's not just instrumental.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH

For writing: Usually Microsoft Word or Google Docs. Sometimes other programs like ZenWriter or similar if I don't want to get too distracted.

For outlines and notes: I used to use Google Docs but my notes got cluttered a bit so instead I use Microsoft OneNote online to have my notes more organized. Scrivener is also pretty good if you're willing to pay for it (been using the free trail version for a bit).

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord

Two things:

1. Google Docs for writing, planning, outlining, etc. It's mainly so I can share drafts, outlines, etc. with others. Sometimes when I need minimal distractions I turn the Internet off and use Word.

2. Some kind of music-playing site like Google Play or IHeartRadio for mood music.

That's... Pretty much it.

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Once upon a time... I tried to. xP My ideal was a chapter a week, which still seems reasonable to me, but now I've come to realize how much discipline and preexisting material that requires. Once all the chapters I had initially written before posting Roots ran out, I began to update around once a month, which was literally the time it took me to write them. In the future, I'll probably do a chapter a week, or maybe a chapter every two weeks, to give potential readers enough time to digest what's been posted.

In my rough drafts, I tend to overuse the verb "frown" when writing description to accompany dialogue. This happens when I'm writing a scene that I haven't fully figured out yet, but want to write down anyway. In these cases, I usually haven't reached a decision about what emotions each character is feeling at any given point during the conversation, so I just have them frown -- whether in puzzlement, curiosity, sarcasm, snideness, or anger. :p It's surprisingly versatile. And by leaving the description minimalistic, I focus more on the dialogue, which results in it coming out more colorful, more like the backbone of a scene. At which point I've likely figured out what expressions each character is making and what actions they're performing, so I can go back and fill those places in.

I think I also overuse phrases with "look" and "gaze", like "skimmed his/her gaze over (something)", and "looked up". I use "turn" all the time, too: "turned back", "turned around", and other variations.

I use the latest version of Microsoft Word to do the writing and Notepad to save side notes and scenes that I've cut. I also use Notepad to save my BB code formatting, so that when the time comes to post, I have a saved version that I can copy to multiple forums.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Nivinxus, Spiteful Murkrow, and CuriousHeartless: Approved!

Also, thanks to Creepychu, we now have an index! Creepychu has generously compiled all the bold topics into one handy list for us to post on its own. The list below will be updated as we get more topics, and because it's smack in the middle of the thread, there's also a handy link to it in the first post. Enjoy!

Last edited:

CuriousHeartless

Awesome. Let's see how many of these questions I can answer.

• Fess up, kitties. What was your first story about? A Digimon OC fic. An awful Digimon OC fic.
  • Which authors do you look up to? - J. K. Rowling, Rick Riordan, John Greene, probably others that don't come to mind immediately. Counting fanfic writers, Ysavvryl, Griff4815, Bobandbill, and Sraosha (On FF.net, as far as I know he doesn't have an account on here).
  • Did you ever write a story to tell a story, or to make a point about whatever, or both? How subtle were you? Did it go well, or did you slip? - I just write when I get ideas. And they usually slip.
  • How did you get an idea for a fic? Does it come to you? Or if you get inspired? - I just kind of get ideas. Sometimes I make them into fic, sometimes I don't. My current fanfic was actually based on a scene I thought of which spread to creating a whole fic (And ironically, I'm reconsidering even using that scene).
  • How do you portray romance correctly in your stories? - Probably badly. My first attempt was called more friends than a couple, and I haven't really tried since. Hopefully I'll get better before I introduce the couples in my current story.
  • What is your thoughts with 'tropes?' - I think, they aren't bad things or good things. It is literally impossible to avoid them, so there isn't any shame to it (Okay, there is shame to some). And besides, it's fun playing with them.
  • Does age really matter how well you write? How did you start out when you first started writing? - Well an eight year old just isn't going to be a good writer. There is no exactness, but age probably helps with skill. Oh god, I SUCKED when I started writing.
  • How do you open your stories? - Depends on the story, but usually an introduction to the main characters and some starting exposition.
  • Can cursing get in the way of the atmosphere in the story? - It really depends, especially on the atmosphere and the way the cursing is handled.
  • What are your takes on evolutions? What do they do? - Make the Pokémon stronger and a bit smarter. Gives extra self-confidence, but it could push to being egotistical. Should usually be done along with either a new move or a new way of using an old move to emphasize that it is an up-grade.
  • How many people have considered of making an original story here? - That 'of' seems unnecessary. Oh tons of considering. Probably will never do it, though.
  • How do you handle getting back to writing a story after it's been on hiatus for a long time? - Apologize and pretend like it never happened. Funnily enough, just last night I updated my fic for the first time in four months. Trying to keep it to no more than two weeks before I update again.
  • Is Character Development your first priority? - Honestly, I prefer the setting and story. I should probably prioritize characterization a bit more.
  • How hard would it be to write a fan fic about game that doesn't have a plot? - Depends on how you write. If you want to write something serious, difficult. But it should be easy if you keep it comedic (Well, past how hard it can be to write good comedy).
  • Do you ever feel that people aren't reading your stuff correctly? - Nope.
  • Have you ever written 2 or more stories at once and enjoyed doing it? If so, how did you go about doing it? Meaning, how did you divide up your time to write both stories? - I think so when I first started. But currently, I have one main and the occasional one-shot or short chaptered fic.
  • Have you ever tried writing and posting non-Pokemon Fandom Fics? If yes, how was it received and what do you enjoy from it? If no, why? - I've written...three Digimon fics. The first one was garbage, and I forget how people reacted but I hope it wasn't positively. If my memory serves right, the next two weren't highly praised or anything, but were liked. My SMT one-shot was ignored on here, but somewhat well-liked on FF.net. I haven't posted my Persona fic and don't plan to unless I get the chapter count into the twenties.
  • How do you prefer to start your chapter fiction? (I.E, Prologue first, Small Prologue and Chapter, Chapter, ETC.) - Short chapter that sets up the story. Not quite a prologue as I might go ahead and get things rolling, but still a short chapter.
  • What grammatical mistake do you find the easiest to make? - Probably the tenses of 'to lay'.
  • Would you give your fic, someone else's fic, or any fic at all, a soundtrack? Why, and what kind of music? - Uhh...no idea. Maybe?
  • Have you ever seriously considered a career in writing? And if so, what sort of stories would you write? - Not since I was nine.
  • What's your least favorite plot you find in Fanfiction? - Not sure...probably anything obnoxiously angsty.
  • What is your favorite genre to read? - Comedy. But the kind of comedy which can do good serious moments.
  • Do you use Original Characters in your work? - Almost exclusively. I'm always afraid I'll screw up a canon character.
  • What defines a Sue/Stu character? - Not sure. But one definite thing is being boring to read. I'll forgive all the god-mode if the character is interesting enough.
  • How did your first attempt at writing go? - You know how people on the internet say 'That post gave me cancer' and stuff like that? That is my first fanfic.
  • What characters or types of characters appeal to you the most? - Characters who can balance being funny and serious.
  • What kinds of ships do you like to write/would you write? - No real preference (Although I hate ships between characters who are at each other's throats in canon).
  • How do you handle character development and pacing in stories? - Incredibly poorly in my older stories. I'm just trying slowly and carefully now, with plans far in advance.
  • Are you an architect or a gardener? - Gardener. I have things planned out WAY in advance. I do some more architect stuff in each individual chapter though. So gardener for the overall plot, architect for the individual chapters.
  • What's the longest you've ever had your audience wait for a new chapter? How does that compare to your normal release times? - Like I said, I just broke a four-month hiatus last night. That...isn't too far off from how I have been updating.
  • What kinds of writing projects have you done (outside of short/chaptered stories in prose)? - Uhh...essays for classes.
  • What shouldn't be in Fanfic in your own personal experience? - Well, written well, anything can work.
  • What's your style of writing action/fights sences - I'm not sure how to describe it. I just kind of write out the actions as best as I can.
  • What was the worst OC like character(s) you made and how did it worsen canon characters? - Can the answer be 'Literally everyone in Digimon Season X.' God that thing was garbage. I could become a millionaire, award winning writer and that fic would still haunt me. No canon characters involved though, so they couldn't worsen any.
  • What can make a story lifeless and souless? - Too much angst or making the characters unlikable.
  • Is rewriting an ongoing fic before it's done a good idea or a bad one? - Again, depends.
  • What are your feelings on arc words? AArc words are words commonly said in the story that seem out of context until the climax - Done well, they can be amazing and improve second read-throughs or answer mysteries. Done poorly, they are bad.
  • How do you come up with original ideas for your fanfics? - No one way. Just kind of come up with them.
  • What's the Gunning fog index for your writing? - I have literally no idea.
  • Have you suffered from writer's block? If so, what is the longest time you've had it for? - I mentioned the four-month hiatus, right?
  • How far ahead do you plan before you start writing? - To the last chapter. Tons of blank spots to allow the story to develop, though.
  • What are some genres you'd like to see explored more in Pokemon fanfiction? - No idea.
  • What's your process when starting a new story? - Plan like crazy, watch things slowly fall apart, and change my plans like crazy.
  • How is everyone doing on their projects? - Okay. Just got over a hiatus, but things should speed up now.
  • Do you have any predictions for this year's awards? - Nope.
  • What kind of writing contest would you like to see next? - No idea.
  • How would you react if most of the captures and evolutions weren't shown in a fic, or at least not made into a plot event? - Sounds really lame. Skipping a few, especially if there is a good reason for it, sounds cool. But for all of them? Just sounds like bad writing.
  • How's your writing going lately? - Isn't this the same as a few questions up?
  • Anything good you've started reading recently? - Not really.
  • What improvements do you want to see in the Fanfic Mafia this year?/How's our driving? - I've been a member for [4 hours, I have no ideas./B]
    [*]What parts of Hoenn do you most want to see explored in fanfic? (For example, do you have a particular dex entry you really want people to write about? Is there an item or game mechanic that you wish people would include in their fics? DO YOU WANT SOMEONE TO FINALLY EXPLAIN WTF THE SCORCHED SLAB IS?) - No idea. I'm assuming this was asked when ORAS were first announced?
    [*]Hoenn fic recs. Let us have them. - Sorry, dry well here.
    [*]What is your favorite genre? - Comedy.
    [*]What do you like best about fanfiction? What do you like the least? - Fanfiction is just so amazing. I guess the fact it lets fandoms show their thoughts is my answer to both parts of the question.
    [*]Does anyone in real life know that you write fanfiction? - Yeah, never made a secret of it from my friends. Don't show off my fics to them, but I don't hide the fact I write.
    [*]Is there a specific trope that pops up in a majority of your writing projects either intentionally or subconsciously? - A good amount. Meaningful names is my favorite, though.
    [*]I'm just curious: how do most of you save your writing? - Google docs.
    [*]Which character in your fic is your favourite to write about? - Probably my main character's second best friend. But that's mainly because the main character is generic (On purpose, but still) and his first best friend is more withdrawn so he doesn't get to do as much.
    [*]Show us a paragraph of what you're working on right now. Just a paragraph, anywhere in your current chapter, be it the last paragraph you wrote or something smack in the middle. - Nothing right now.
    [*]Have a conversation with your character! - Maybe some other time.
    [*]How do/did you deal with being away from home? - Still live at home.
    [*]Which type of fic trend or popular subgenre did you used to love that just isn't done that frequently anymore? (Examples: Rebirth fic, parodies, etc.) What do you think about fic trends? Do you follow them or do your best to avoid them? Why? - No idea. I've never kept up with fic trends.
    [*]How do you handle proofreading in your chapter? - I use a program and read over it myself.
    [*]What weird/silly headcanons of yours make their way into your stories a lot? - That Isabeau from SMT IV would be a major fangirl for Joan of Arc (Okay, only one story, but I don't do much).
    [*]Pokemon Speak. It's a point of controversy among the fandom, but how do you handle it in your fics? - I used them in my older stories. But I'm planning to avert it if I do any more Pokémon fics. If I set them in the anime verse I'll use it though.
    [*]Share some trivia about your fic! Whether it's completely irrelevant to the story in every way, or an earlier plan that got scrapped, share it with us! You're free to put it in spoilers if it's... well, spoilery. - I've cut out three planned characters in my story, completely changed another, and increased the importance of three others to future main character status.
    [*]Titles! How do you generally come up with them? Is it hard? Easy? What's the weirdest way you've come up with one? - I use odd stuff that fits (My current fic is called Goal:Conquest, lack of space on purpose, for goodness's sake). Usually rather easy.
    [*]When do you think it's okay to bring a character back from the dead? - Depends on story, fandom, and how it's handled.
    [*]Canon Characters and Original Characters! Which do you prefer writing for? Do they ever mix? How much of your own spin do you put on canon characters? - OC characters, I am always worried about messing up canon characters. I do occasionally use canon characters, but not much.
    [*]Distractions. What are the most common things that distract you from your writing? What tricks do you use for resisting your distractions and how well do they work? Do you have a good handle on your distractions or do they frequently get in the way of your writing? - Pretty much everything. Resisting distractions? That's possible?
    [*]How do you make your characters? Do you base them off of people you actually know, do you build them around a situation (tragic past, dangerous situations), do you prefer your bad guys to be unambiguously evil, or for everyone to have shades of black and white? - I just kind of make them as I need them. I like shades of gray, but characters that are pure black or white aren't bad as long as they are still handled well.
    [*]What's the funniest/most unfortunate typo (or other mistake) you've ever made in your fics? - No idea, just too many to count.
    [*]Do you have any writing-related new year's resolutions this year? - Not really.
    [*]So a few of you mentioned future stories in your new year's plans. I don't suppose you'd be willing to give us a little preview? Any hints as to what you're planning? - A bit late for this question, huh?
    [*]Have you ever had a story idea you really liked but that you ended up shelving because you just didn't think you could pull it off? If so, what was it and have you tried to pick it up again since? - I was going to do a Valentine's Day/White Day two-shot for a ship, but haven't got around to it. I haven't given up and shelved it yet, but it probably would be a while before I write it, if I ever do.
    [*]What do you guys do in order to get in the mood for writing? - Can't really prepare. Sometimes I'm in the mood, sometimes I'm not.
    [*]Do you always try and review every fic you read? - No. I tried for a while, but I couldn't always think of something to say.
    [*]Let's talk about your old shames. What was/were the worst fanfic/s you've ever written? Leave out no small details! - Digimon Season X. It's still on here. But don't read it, it is awful. Horrible characters, I didn't plan ahead for anything, and I was totally unskilled.
    [*]What kind of antagonist, if any, do you tend towards creating? Is there a pattern to their characters and behaviour? - No real inclination.
    [*]Which of all your fanfics do you consider to be your best work? - Currently my one-shot Pardon My French. Might change.
    [*]Are there any genres you like to read/watch/play and/or write in outside of Pokemon? If so, do they ever leak into your Pokemon stories? - My opinions don't really change between Pokémon and other fandoms.
    [*]Have you ever tried/want to write some other fandom besides Pokémon? - Digimon, Persona, and Shin Megami Tensei.
    [*]How do you come up with chapter/story titles? - Early on, either just numbers or lame references. In my current story, each chapter is 'Chapter: [Word or two that fits the chapter]'.
    [*]Do you maintain a publishing schedule for your fic(s)? If so, how does yours work? - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! No.
    [*]What words, or phrases, do you use too much? - Tons. I know I use 'yeah' a lot.
    What program(s), if any, do you use to assist you with your writing? - Google Docs, grammarcheck.net

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
As a means to an unofficially official return to the forums, I shall answer the last 5 questions. And yes, it is because I'm procrastinating from my studies.

Have you ever tried/want to write some other fandom besides Pokémon?

Back when I navigated the shipping forums, I once had an idea to write a Kingdom Hearts story. I have also thought about writing for Yu-gi-oh!, and probably other fandoms. I've never actually ventured into writing for fandoms outside of Pokemon because I believe their worlds are not as open as the Pokemon world. What I plan on doing, actually, is incorporating themes from TV, video games, and movies into my Pokemon fics because it gives me the freedom to be creative in a space that's ... well, spacey.

How do you come up with chapter/story titles?

I try to make my title a reference to the chapter. It usually references a piece of dialogue or some event that holds importance to the chapter. I'm quite the minimalist when it comes to my titles, too. I won't to say it all in no more than four words, but there are exceptions.

Story titles... yeah, no.

My publishing schedule is pretty straightforward. I push myself to write a chapter, edit it, and keep editing it until I'm happy with how it comes out. Then I post it, and take forever to write a new chapter because I haven't gotten the hang of managing real life with everything else :p

I always get caught up in this part of writing --- where I really just want to focus on getting the main idea across but I get constantly distracted by "word diversity" or what have you. I have a hard time describing distress without making it sound repetitive. That's probably the my most frustrating point in a chapter. I use the word "turn" a lot, like when the characters turn to face someone or something. There is probably a list of words and phrases I can include here because vocabulary is not my strong suit.

I use strictly Word 2013. I have all my chapters, my characters, my future plots, etc. in Word documents, and they're all on my OneDrive account if something ever happens to my laptop, which feels inevitable at this point because HP evidently sucks. :/

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Thank you so much Creepychu for chronicling that massive index for the Mafia, and thank you Jax for putting it up and to the first page! I can't imagine how much time and effort that must have taken, so I thank you from the bottom of my heart :)

EDIT: Okay, I actually am in need of different advice this time.

There are parts of my fic that I'm just not happy with, but I posted them about a year ago and wrote them almost two years ago. There are many problems with them that have been pointed out, and I dislike them more every time I look back on them because they contradict with how I wanted to portray certain characters or don't match up well with the rest of the story, not to mention I think I might be able to do much better with them now than I did with them initially.

So I wanted to ask: would it be better to go back and revise, or to just keep on going and writing new chapters?

I usually feel very little incentive to go back and revise (not to mention I don't exactly know WHAT I would do with those chapters), but I'm also worried that it could turn away any potential viewers who read it and don't like it when the writing later on is much different. I know I shouldn't be writing to get views or because I want people to read it, but I don't want people to turn away because how I used to write is how I write now.

Any advice as to what to do? Or is this something that there is no one best answer to, and I just have to find out what's best for myself?

Last edited:
Okay, that index is freaking HUGE! I wanna answer so many of those questions, but I think I'll narrow them down to 10.

Which authors do you look up to? I'll start with fanfic writers. JX Valentine was my inspiration to create an account on this site, so there's one. Bobandbill, Cutlerine, and The Great Butler are also people I really look up to. As for more well known authors, while writers such as Stephen King and Rick Riordan come to mind as people I like to emulate, my favorite author is without a doubt Orson Scott Card. Reading many of his books might be the entire reason I love starting chapters with a conversation or some other kind of cold open, as he does those so freaking well.

How did you get an idea for a fic? Does it come to you? Or if you get inspired? It really depends on the circumstance. Honestly, though, many of my ideas come from me binge-watching let's plays. Case in point, Convergence stemmed almost entirely from me watching an LP and then playing a little bit through Bioshock Infinite and wondering how the multiple universe thing could work in Pokémon. Inspiration can come from the weirdest places.

How do you handle getting back to writing a story after it's been on hiatus for a long time? Aplologize profusely, and then get your *** in gear. There is no better way for a writer to lose the confidence of their audience by apologizing for not writing for a while, and then not writing anything for an even longer period. Trust me, this comes from experience.

Have you ever seriously considered a career in writing? And if so, what sort of stories would you write? Never have, never will. The reason this question resonates with me personally, though, is that I had this conundrum for a different method of expression: music. This is a bit of a side tangent, and trust me, I will get back on topic eventually, but for many years, I was told that if I really wanted to, I could have tried to become a professional trumpet player. And to be honest, I may have been good enough. But for me, it was always a hobby, and even though I probably could have been successful at it, and constantly felt pressure to do it by my peers, it never truly resonated with me.

To get back on point, I do understand that many people can have that same conundrum when it comes to writing. Sure, it's a hard field to break into, but if you love it so much, then why not? For many, it's because they don't want to ruin their hobby by making it something they depend on to survive. That's why fanfic is such a nice outlet. You can still write, and write well, but you don't need to depend on it, and there are always people suggesting ways in which you can improve.

That was long. Sorry about that. Moving on.

What characters or types of characters appeal to you the most? Snarky, sarcastic characters. I love them so f-ing much. That kind of humor just resonates with me. If someone can write a character that has just that perfect amount of sass, I get the best feeling inside.

What's the longest you've ever had your audience wait for a new chapter? How does that compare to your normal release times? Ten months. That was bad. It's also not normal for me to leave people hanging like that. At all. It's something I seriously need to fix. And never do again.

What can make a story lifeless and souless? Essentially pulling a Shyamalan. And I don't mean having a sudden twist ending, but telling instead of showing. Too much needless exposition can weigh down a story to the point where it becomes completely lifeless. It's why I have a personal vendetta against have characters give huge exposition dumps for no reason other than plot progression. Believe me, I've seen it, and it isn't fun to read.

How far ahead do you plan before you start writing? That's actually a really good question. To be honest, the way I plan for a fic is to think of a beginning, envision the main characters and a few versions of their personalities, and loosely drum up a couple of key moments in the story. Other than that, though, I plan nothing. The reason I do that is because I believe progression should be natural. If you have everything planned out to the punctuation mark, and then someone comes along and tells you that something isn't working, it could be very tough to respond. That's why I like to keep things very malleable. If someone tells me a thing isn't working the way it should, I can change it, and there isn't much harm done.

Does anyone in real life know that you write fanfiction? I stopped keeping it a secret from my friends and family around the beginning of second semester freshman year. To be honest, my friends are the way in which I get a lot of my proofreading done. After I finish a chapter, I go to one of my friends and ask them to read it with me. They are, essentially, my beta readers.

When do you think it's okay to bring a character back from the dead? Nnnggh...I really don't like it when people do that. In any medium. I've always felt that it's a copout, especially if it was a fan favorite character who was killed. I mean, the death had a purpose, why try to undermine it?

...Jeez that took a while. That was fun, though.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
starliteevee: I wouldn't fully know the answer myself, since I'm still debating how to handle it with my next big fic. But from what I know I'd say keep going. My freind Solvino, who also posts here, told me to beware most fics that don't show improvement over time, and I think most of your readers will realize that as they go through. Besides, you've managed to hook me and a bunch of other people in, so I bet you could attract others with what you have.

Plus there's that whole trap of editing the same few chapters over and over and over and that's... something to be avoided.

Also, not to deract from giving starliteevee advice, but I have a question of my own, and I'll do it in the form of a topic:

How do you get past a rut in the planning stages of your fic?

You see, I'm writing a rough plot outline for my next chaptered fic, Heroes After All, because I find that writing such rough plot outlines increases my chances of success due to actually having something resembling a plan instead of writing entirely by the seat of my pants.

However... I've gotten kinda stuck trying to figure out a good chunk of Protagonist A's part of the first half of the outline, and even though I've written most of Protagonist B's part already (the two are entirely independent of each other up until Protagonists A and B meet at the halfway point) I feel I can't progress to the second half without figuring out the rest of Protagonist A's part. I know my general goal for what I want to do with Protagonist A's part, but the details are being much trickier aside from a few scenes.

So... specific advice as well as general replies to the topic both help. (Though I can understand if you guys can't give the former due to vaugeness.)

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
@ starliteevee: Y'know, oddly enough, we had a discussion about that a couple pages back. There are different schools of thought when it comes to going back and editing, evidently, and which one fits your case depends on your own mindset. Seeing as you've said yourself that you have very little incentive to go back and revise, then in your case, editing might not work out so well. If you felt that you absolutely had to do it for one reason or another, then that'd be another story, but it's completely okay to leave your chapters as-is if you'd prefer to push forward. Like Umbramatic said, your readers will likely understand, and when it comes to fanfiction, so long as you have a good concept going for you and so long as your fic isn't virtually unreadable (and you do have a good concept and your fic is readable), then people tend not to be turned away by early chapter shenanigans, if you know what I mean.

That being said, as a general note, I'd also like to say that there may be reasons why a fic doesn't show improvement over time besides the obvious "the author doesn't make an effort to improve." Some people do go back and edit for their own reasons, including fixing up plot holes, adjusting the language, or because they're just straight-up embarrassed by the way their earlier chapters look. There's really nothing wrong with going back and editing if you're the kind of author who feels they can't really move on without doing so. No, not everyone falls into a trap of circular editing, and no, that is not a thing for a lot of authors. I mean, it really does depend on what type of person you are. If you're an absolute perfectionist to the point where you actually do have issues if things aren't 100% perfect, sure, that might be a thing, but if you're just a person who's improved vastly from the time you've started and would like a current project to match your plans for the rest of the fic or your skill level all the way through or whatnot, then it's not so much an issue. You've really got to do some self-reflection in order to figure out which camp you're in and whether or not it'd actually be a risk for you.

Meanwhile, you really should only beware of fics that don't show improvement if there are some serious issues that readers have pointed out that haven't been remedied in later chapters. For example, if several readers told a writer that having an entire chapter full of nothing but dialogue (as in, literally nothing but dialogue) for no given artistic reason was a bad idea, beware of that fic if fifteen updates later, you see or are still seeing chapters full of literally nothing but dialogue. But an okay fic that doesn't really show obvious improvements? Not necessarily a bad fic or an author hesitant to accept change. It could be that the author went back and fixed issues as per readers' comments, that the changes themselves are too subtle for most people to notice, or that no one's pointed out the issues that you're noticing. Or, at worst, it's straight-up a bad habit on the author's part that they've been trying and failing to break. Lots of things happen, basically.

Edit: That said...!

There are a lot of different methods to doing this (because a lot of people seem to do the whole planning thing a different way), but for me, it just kinda helps to take a break on the planning bit and work on something else for awhile if I'm particularly stuck. It might help in your case too (which is probably the best advice I can offer without knowing Protagonist B's part or the half of Protagonist A's involvement that you do have). You could even just take a short break to give your mind a rest from even feeling as if you're obligated to come up with something. Usually, it's somewhere during that break that an idea just kinda pops into mind, and I get back to putting the fic together.

Or write literally everything down that you've got, if you haven't already. For some people, it's either the act of writing that makes them think about what they want to do in their fic, or just seeing everything laid out helps them visualize the missing pieces.

Good luck!

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
That is indeed a lot of topics! I'll just go with the last few ones however.

Not usually. Sometimes I set myself a goal ("I'd like to finish this part by ___"), but this wasn't set to every chapter. I have set goals in writing; for instance with the latter chapters of TRoPC during summer break I tried to write a page/for a minimum half an hour each day, which helped me get the story done. (Helpfully I also did this in the morning when possible before checking anything on the internet). And I did the NaNoWriMo camp in July last year as well which helped me get a chunk of fic done.

There's a bunch of them, I'm sure. Let's look at ~ 100 pages of writing, actually... 'Suddenly (63 whoops)', 'sighed (30)', '___ looked at (28)/turned to (17 - 'turned' is 78!)' are ones I often use too often. One that I noticed of late as well in the fic I'm working on was 'I bit my lip (10)' or variations. I felt I should call the story 'Biting my lip', haha.

Microsoft Word, on occasion Google Docs as well (e.g. for editing). Rare occasion notepad++ gets used for some find+replace thing (e.g. when posting). Besides that a music playing program is something I often use when writing as well.

Both writing and not-writing. :V Sometimes I just work on another part of the story and leave it for later. Other times I just try and work on the parts that I do know I want to write and have set (however small) because sometimes I just get an idea for what else to have happen during that process. This in particular has happened a few times with my current fic. I had the basis but did feel that some character motivations were lacking or just absent. But I wrote out the events, and every so often an idea would come to me and I'd go back and expand on scenes or add in scenes which helped fill in such gaps.

On the flip side, taking a step away from the story for a while and just thinking about it later on with a fresh mind, or revisiting any other ideas that may suddenly appear to fit in, has helped myself as well.

Any advice as to what to do? Or is this something that there is no one best answer to, and I just have to find out what's best for myself?
May be the latter. =p But if you're not sure how to rewrite the old chapters and are unable to come up with ideas on that, than that may be an indication to continue with what you have already.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH

I usually asked some friends for ideas if there are certain parts of a story I'm unsure on how to move forward. Otherwise as others mentioned taking a break works and then coming back later works.

What program(s), if any, do you use to assist you with your writing? I use Microsoft Word for practically everything. The fact that it has a spell-check built into the thing is always really nice. In order to relax myself when my brain starts to cave in on itself, I either have YouTube up on a separate tab, or have my 3DS with either Pokémon or Kirby next to me, when I need to take a break.

How do you get past a rut in the planning stages of your fic? I rant about what I want to put in the story to my friends. Seriously. All of my friends are nerds, so it's okay, and they generally tell me if an idea I have is crap, and sometimes pitch me their own ideas for how the story should go. If that happens, then I start pitching variations of those ideas, and thus some of my better ideas were created. To each their own.

Edit: I just had an interesting idea for a topic, and it's one I've been curious about for a while:

What was your main motivation for joining the Serebii forums? Was it the stories you read, the community, or just a whim? If it was the stories, which one was it?

To answer that question, for me, it was reading some fantastic stories that got me interested in joining. Even though it was Anima Ex Machina that influenced my desire to write, it was actually Proving Grounds by Morpher01 that convinced me to start lurking the forums, eventually sucking me into the community.

Last edited:

Spiteful Murkrow

Early Game Encounter
How did you get an idea for a fic? Does it come to you? Or if you get inspired?

It's case-specific, but a lot of my stuff is a composite of "write what you know" and things that I've seen or heard of before, if arranged in ways that I haven't encountered before.

How do you handle getting back to writing a story after it's been on hiatus for a long time?

Re-evaluate what it is that needs to be done and if the current next thing is a bit oversized for what it needs to be, buckle down and write after setting a goal that seems reasonable.

Have you ever seriously considered a career in writing? And if so, what sort of stories would you write?

At this point in time, no. It would be nice if I could get my finances lined up for me sometime down the road to do something of the sort without being a starving artist, though. As for stories, I'd be most partial to writing video game scripts since that's my entertainment medium of choice.

What characters or types of characters appeal to you the most?

"Normal" characters that have mundane life concerns that get thrown into abnormal circumstances and are forced to try and deal with them. I also like tend to like characters that take some sort of lingering expectation and subvert them via their behaviors or attributes.

What's the longest you've ever had your audience wait for a new chapter? How does that compare to your normal release times?

11 days and counting if strictly counting chaptered works. For a non-chaptered work I used to take part in, my longest stretch was around a year if my memory serves me right. "Normal" is entirely relative to what we're referring to here, since historically my release pace has been much slower than it has been for my last few published things.

What can make a story lifeless and soulless?

Any number of things can do the trick, which is part of the reason why writing's an art and not a science. The biggest offhand offenders that I can think of for me are poor dialogue, tone inconsistency, and cliche characters.

How far ahead do you plan before you start writing?

It's very case-dependent. I've had times where I've planned for less than a day before I started typing, and at least one where I planned things out for more than a year before I typed my first words.

Does anyone in real life know that you write fanfiction?

Not about the stuff that I do currently beyond the online friends that I keep tabs on in real life, but a few are aware of some older stuff I've done.

When do you think it's okay to bring a character back from the dead?

When the character is a divine figure or the metaphysics of the story allow for reincarnation.

Google Docs for actual writing, vim for fast-and-dirty character replacement such as changing types of apostrophes and quotation marks.

I talk things over with friends. Having a problem/rut examined from a different perspective is extremely valuable since it helps to bring up possibilities and implications that you might never have thought of on your own.

What was your main motivation for joining the Serebii forums? Was it the stories you read, the community, or just a whim? If it was the stories, which one was it?

I wound up joining because I knew some friends who were writing in the Interpretations One-Shot Contest and they wound up suckering talking me into joining and taking part. I'm glad that I listened to them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.