• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.

master3019

Me gusta Flygon
Why you like fanfic/writing: It's something I love to do, I have talent, I have a passion for it. I spend my free time doing it. I can create my own world, or write in someone elses. There are endless possibilities. And that whole thing, I don't know exactly how English-accurate that is. I've lived in the US my whole life and that sounds like a five-year-old wrote it. Oh well.

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
Another topic:

Does age really matter how well you write? How did you start out when you first started writing?

Toxic Nightshade

GET TO DEL TACO
Another topic:

Does age really matter how well you write? How did you start out when you first started writing?

In my eyes age sort of matters, because what comes with age is knowledge of more words, punctuations, and your work becomes more sophisticated. Say if you aren't a young adult (somewhat younger) you most likely will not be able to write a young adult book. In some ways it does matter in terms of audience, it actually makes sense for a child to write a children's book. It's not age that is the matter, anybody can write. Except it all depends on audience and your personal style of writing. I started writing in the third grade, i wrote very cheesy magical stories that were at most twenty loose-leaf pages. In that situation my writing improved with age, which is the most common thing that happens to writers.

Lightning Dragon

LIGHTNING FLIGHT!!!!
Hah, epic first post xD

Why you like fanfic/writing: [your answer here] ....Eh, I just started. I despise writing by hand, so hopefully this'll be my chance to get better by typing a story! :3

Besides that, I have my own style of wording things, so... 3:

And my first story is based off of Fire Emblem <3 ..its in my sig :3

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

Eh... sort of. It depends for the demographic you're writing for, and how it's handled. I find it really cool to run into a well-written story and find out the writer was just a young teenager, because it proves to me that they've been practicing writing for a good number of years, or they're just that naturally talented (usually the former). It's laughable to run into someone your age who can't seem to write proper grammar, but then that depends on their experiences as a writer. But even then, when you're out of high school, you should learn how to spell properly, and know how to write a sentence without goofing it up, you know? If you just don't care about the quality of the work, then why are you writing in the first place? Writing, like other skills, had to take time and patience to get better at while you're giving your best shot. If you aren't interested in it, then go somewhere else, don't waste up space doing something you don't like.

I digress.

So while age plays a good factor, it all just depends on the quality of the work, and we can marvel at age later, pretty much. I'm honestly a little curious to know of someone's age when I like their story and want to learn more about the author, but for the most part, if I like the story, then chances are I'll like the other author's works as well, regardless of how old they are.

Last edited:

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
I feel so shattered right now, I just finished a chapter and my mom turned off my computer (by accident) and I lost my 7-page chapter with TWO battle scenes ;_; Anyways, there's no use crying over spilled milk. I'm just gonna work on the next chapter first, and then come back to re-write it again. This makes me want to raise a topic but there's already one right now... so yeah :p To answering!

To me, it really all depends on when a person starts writing. To me, good writers are talented or experienced. A person with 10 post count who writes a fic at the same quality as someone who started and finished 4 fictions sounds talented to me. However, no one knows how old one is behind the screen, or how experienced they are. Post counts don't mean anything. The 4 post counts guy could just be a really bored professional writer under disguise. I'm straying off though. Anyways, I restate the fact that I personally think it depends on when a person starts writing, and if they've actually improved or not. So age sort of matters, but you can't judge a book by its cover. Same applies for writers. However, I agree with the general consensus that older writers generally write better. Though, as long as I enjoy their work, it doesn't matter to me how old they are, I just... enjoy it!

As for my beginning, my writing use to suck. Horrible grammar ... -_- It makes me cringe whenever I see my old work, and I'm sure when I go older I'll cringe when I look at the work I posted on serebii...

Deadly.Braviary

Before I start, I just want to comment on Kutie Pie's post a bit.

I find it really cool to run into a well-written story and find out the writer was just a young teenager, because it proves to me that they've been practicing writing for a good number of years, or they're just that naturally talented (usually the former).

Are you talking about my story right there?!

Eh, sorry for the self-promotion but I saw this and couldn't resist.

If you just don't care about the quality of the work, then why are you writing in the first place?

There are several fics out there which I've seen which are pretty so-so, but still show a lot of potential. In fact, the only problem with some of them is one that every writer - even some pros - suffer from. Grammar. For some reason, fics with bad spelling and grammar tend to be skimmed over and dismissed. I know, because I've done it quite often. But once in a while, there's a fic which, if you take the time read, turns out to be pretty good. The bad spelling and grammar is the only turn-off. I have a certain fic in mind - Dormant's Author's Run, for those of you who want to know. It's good. It's pretty funny, it's got a good premise, and the writer actually pokes fun at the fact that he uses bad grammar, by having the 'Grammar Police' come after him to arrest him. Only problem? Bad grammar.

How did a discussion on age distort into bad grammar? So, anyway. Here's my stance on this.

Honestly? If a writer's age is less than eleven or twelve, I'll look it up just to see how good they are. Because if you're writing a story at that age, no one expects you to stick with it. Hell, I've been writing since I was nine, and it was only when I turned eleven that I finally got a fic that went past double-digit chapters. That still didn't mean that fic was exceptionally good - it meant enough people liked it that I continued it. And keep in mind, at that age, I was typing entire chapters within an hour or an hour and a half, in the reply box. Yeah, I was a kid. So, yeah. Age matters, because if you start early, you might not be able to put up a good fic, but if you keep writing random stuff for a lot of time, you'll become a helluva lot better. Take me as an example - I've been writing six years now. And it's only now that anyone thinks my fics are getting better.

I made the topic me again? Wow, I really am narcissistic.

OK, I think I should stop here, or this will segue into a rant about how ecstatic I was when I got *slaps face* OK. Shut up.

Not at all. I was in the 9th grade when I first started writing, I wrote in script and it was mostly because I was on a forum where everyone wrote like that. I look back on those that I have on FFN and I pretty much laugh. They were so terrible, yet people who reviewed me really liked them. Still this this day, they comment on those and love them. So yeah, I started out pretty bad and then as I went into standard structure, I progressively got better.

Kaiserin

please wake up...

Well, if you sat a thirty-year-old down at a computer and told them to write a story when they have no prior experience, I'd be willing to bet their writing would be hard to distinguish from a young teen's, outside of maybe vocabulary usage and certain uses of concepts. So not strictly speaking, no, but it can definitely factor in. A preteen is obviously not going to have the same experience or knowledge of writing an older teen or young adult would, especially since they haven't even technically finished all their English classes yet (if they live in an English-speaking country).

I think I was eleven when I started, and needless to say, I was atrocious. But I grew up and learned a bit. If you happen to be the person I frequently pester to beta my stuff, you'd know I actually have some terrible habits when it comes to grammar that die really, really hard, and that I'm the furthest thing from polished. (She's an English major and I love her to bits because she goes into Sensei Mode for me when I ask, bless her.)

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
What time is it? IT'S TIME FOR JAX TO REPLY TO THINGS WHEN SHE PROBABLY DOESN'T HAVE TIME TO DO SO. :D

Also, as per usual, the member listing has been updated, but if I missed anyone, I'm an idiot who needs to be corrected.

That said!

So, in other words (TV Tropes to the rescue!), Platonic Life Partners/Heterosexual Life Partners? (If TV Tropes scares you, the basic gist of the definition is that it's a completely platonic relationship that's stronger and more important for the characters than any other relationship in their lives, including romance.)

Ooh, yes! I just wasn't sure if it'd be a kosher thing to call actual relationships that. But pretty much both of those tropes in a nutshell, yep.

Because you're totally right. Close platonic relationships tend to be more meaningful, in part because they're not as heavily explored as romantic relationships... but mostly because they don't share those cues of hugging/kissing/what-have-you with romantic relationships. So when a person is close to someone on a platonic level, it ends up being conveyed in the tiniest details -- a significant look, a well-placed line of snark, subtle bits of body language, that kind of thing. And I think because it relies so much on getting every little detail just right, it ends up being a lot more powerful than a romantic relationship because whereas a romance might be a given (to the point where we only need to be told that two characters are doing it to understand), a reader ends up practically feeling the dedication that two people in a platonic/heterosexual life partnership experience (because they have to put so much more into it to establish that they're that strongly connected).

Tl;dr, I think bromance life partnership is gorgeous when done correctly.

On that note!

So I've got an idea: sort of a fun little thing to help sharpen everyone involved:

Post a little snippet, maybe a paragraph long. Perhaps its from an upcoming story or chapter of your latest work... and everyone else... picks it apart until it has no bones left. Leave no tiny error unnoticed!

I am totally okay with this, and if I wasn't currently working on a bunch of stuff I've promised not to publish (because they're gift fics), I'd be all over this.

Maybe when I finally pick AEM 32 back up, I'll do it, but in the meantime, feel free~!

I feel so shattered right now, I just finished a chapter and my mom turned off my computer (by accident) and I lost my 7-page chapter with TWO battle scenes ;_;

*pats* That's why they tell you to save and save often.

And a few answers on my end because I want to hit ALL THE TOPICS.

Did you ever write a story to tell a story, or to make a point about whatever, or both? How subtle were you? Did it go well, or did you slip?
TRUE STORY: My very first fic on Serebii was a crackfic meant to poke fun at shipping names back when acronyms were still a thing. However, its FFNet version did more hilariously than its Serebii version. And by that, I mean I might have scarred a few shippers for life.

I have also been known to screw around with shippings in general, and at least one fic was written purely to see what actually got reviews on FFNet.

And then there's Mary Sue Must Die.

On a serious note, I don't think I've ever really written a fic for serious points. Most of my "let's write a fic with a message" shenanigans usually involve copious amounts of crack. Other than that, I generally tend to write just for the sake of telling a story, if only because I think it's more fun that way. Granted, I have a tendency to explore the **** out of goodness knows how many things, but I really only do it because it's fun to discuss, not so much because I want to teach people something or get a particular point across. I guess you could say it's pretty easy to tell when I am and am not actually writing for the sake of making a point. Because I'm usually pretty obvious about it. *nod*

How did you get an idea for a fic? Does it come to you? Or if you get inspired?
The usual. Listen to music. Watch something. Go for long walks. Read. Take a shower. Talk to the most hilarious people.

And sometimes, it's vodka and terrible life decisions.

...Wait, no.

What is your thoughts with 'tropes?'
Intrigued by the concept; hate the community. I agree with Dragonfree in that tropes aren't so much clichés, and the idea isn't to wake up and go, "I feel like inserting this trope in my writing!" A trope is just the name for a lot of common ideas and concepts to storytelling. They're not just clichés in the same way a hawk isn't just a falcon. After all, every story has a conflict, and hey! Conflicts are tropes. In other words, all the people at TV Tropes are doing is doing what literary critics have done for centuries: give names to elements of a story. Just as critics have identified quite a list of stock characters, the tropes community have identified the Five-Man Band and all its variations. To borrow a trope, that kind of thing is Older Than They Think.

Where it runs into trouble is, of course, the fact that a lot of people think of it backwards. Tropes aren't meant to be consciously inserted into a work. They're just there. By trying to get a trope to show up in your work, you basically analyze your own writing... which might be fun to do, but no one's a worse literary critic for a piece than the writer themselves. Well, that and you really shouldn't try to get a trope across in your work, if only because that's rather missing the point of the whole exercise. It's like Griff said on a level: it's not a natural way of going about doing things (in that it's actually literally backwards).

Don't get me wrong. I love reading the articles. It's just that I feel like the atmosphere encourages writers to cram tropes into their work consciously (because it's the in-thing to do), and the community itself can get pretty weirdly anal. Like, there are legit people who claim pages on that site and lord over them for some reason. On the one hand, it gets pretty funny, reading page histories sometimes. On the other, it can get pretty damn obnoxious if you're minding you're trying to mind your own business and have fun on the site.

But yeah, mostly, I'm a bit leery at the people who try to invoke tropes in a serious or mostly-serious work. Just... yeah.

As others have said... *waves hand back and forth* Kinda sorta. On the one hand, obviously, you learn more and experience more as you age. On the other, I have also met people older than twenty who have produced some god-awful writing. (There was one involving a yeti, a horrible attempt at irreverent humor, a ****-ton of unnecessary political commentary, unintentional borderline racism, and an extreme fondness for comma splices and thesaurus abuse. I have never wanted to drink more than I did while reading that. Except for this other time I read a fic involving Ash being transformed into a hermaphroditic half-Beedrill nymphomaniac, and that was by someone who was at least five years younger than the former writer. Or that other time involving Harry Potter, Draco Malfoy, and buttered toast, which I'm pretty sure was written by someone old enough to know better than that. Moral of the story: Sexual frustration and a dedication to writing do not mix.)

Point is, in theory, it should. In practice... not so much. That's either a fortunate or unfortunate thing. I've also had the pleasure of reading some pretty awesome fics by people who were only thirteen at the time of writing them, just as I've read some "OH GOD WHY" fics by people my age or older. In a way, you could probably take this as encouragement because it means everyone has the potential to write... buuuuut of course it also means everyone has the potential to be a horrendous writer too. So that's really why it's best to look at authors on a case-by-case basis -- and if you're an author, that just means you don't have to be restricted by what you learn in school. (Meaning start reading online guides and whatnot. *nods*)

As for yours truly, I technically started writing way back when I was a kid. I was always screwing around with paper and things that can write on them; I just didn't always come up with things that're coherent or... even worthy of mentioning ever again. When I first started posting fic, however, I was pretty horrible at it. Like, I wrote a genuine fic, and people thought it was crack. And I think I'll let my angst-ridden, description-happy, slow-as-eff fics from the early aughts speak for themselves. Feeeeel free to do the math there.

*trots off to bed because why am I still up*

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH

Like everyone else, it's more on a case by case basis. There are authors younger than me I'm so jealous of their writing style and authors older than me I'm wondering what point they're trying to make in their fics.

As for when I got started, I think I got started writing as a hobby around 15. I didn't start posting until I was 17 and oh boy soooo ashamed of my tense mistakes and awkward sentences. -_-

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Oh crap, I just noticed that second question xD. (Too lazy to go edit my actual post.)

How did you start out when you first started writing?

I started out bad, of course. I think I started out by copying/re-doing a couple of movies like the Powerpuff Girls movie, but that didn't go anywhere. I wrote that Henry Hamster one I mentioned a while back, and various other weird stories/nonsense. Eventually, I got into Pokémon a little bit, and when I found Serebii and its fan fiction section, I was all about writing Pokémon stories. Most of them were song-fic one-shots (thankfully will never see the light of day again), one was an awful, stupid script about Mew's wacky adventures that turned "serious" later on, but for the most part, they were either shipping fics, or re-writes of a couple of movies that also didn't go anywhere. Many of my stories dealt with Mewtwo or Mew, in which the ideas were... I guess decent for the most part, but I executed them poorly xP. I actually attempted a trilogy once, and I did get this finished and a fourth one being written out as well, but that was horrible as well, so thank goodness those are gone forever. (What was I thinking, making Celebi a jealous ex-suitor and kidnapping Mew for his own purposes and later poisoning her because she refused to do as he said?)

So... yeah.

Well it's more the maturity and wrting style the writer delivers. If the writer is mature for their age and writes really well, then they are real good. But it also matters you respect the series you have,, becuase no everyone is going to listen to you rant about how you don't like this or that, or call the writer of a series a troll or say they're trolling. Plus if both you or your review says their story is better than the sseries itself... Well read my intro to the club.

Bad, my old work was bad and back then, I would have cluttered with the other bad writers, plus I earned my 60+ folllowers.

Flame Mistress

In my opinion, I think it's more about maturity and experience than age alone. Sure, they have a strong correlation with each other, but like Kaiserin said, a 30-year-old with no prior experience in creative writing who attempts to suddenly write a book is probably going to be worse off than a 15-year-old with lots of vocabulary and experience. Even though 1) I'm very young compared to other people here and 2) English isn't my first language, I'm pretty confident with my grammar and punctuation; it's the vocabulary (or more specifically, puns, idioms, and expressions) and getting the language to actually flow that's hard for me. I started writing when I was ten or eleven, and back then I was horrible compared to now. Still, I look back and admire myself for having enough perseverance to actually write more than ten chapters on a rubbish fanfic. People did seem to like it, though. That probably attributed to my commitment.

Now, I have a question here: How do you open your stories? There's this story I'm really eager to start writing on, but I really can't decide how to open it. Of course, I know it depends on the type of story, but I'd like to hear your opinions anyway. Since it starts out as a normal-looking "romance" story, with more and more action scenes, mystery elements, and tearjerkers appearing as the story progresses (spoiler: it's not actually romance), I'm thinking about opening with an action scene that gives an insight to events that happen later in the story, or just the scene where the two main characters meet for the first time. So yeah, you could say that I'm looking for advice here. ^^;

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
How do you open your stories?

Start with a clincher, for starters. You have to be able to hook in your readers as early on as possible, or you will lose them from boredom/disinterest. If you have an action-packed story, start with some action (but not your biggest action, that's saved for the climax). If you have a mystery, start with a mysterious feel (or some action leading up to the mystery). If you have a comedy story, be snarky (or have some action with comedic results or what-not). If it's a first-person, don't start with "I", "my", or other first-person pronouns, or even have them in the first sentence (unless you do something clever). If it's a romance story, while we don't expect a form of it in the beginning, we expect the mood of the story to be light-hearted, so be light-hearted and "romantic" in describing the first scene.

In other words, you have to establish the mood of the story. And the best way to do it is through the first sentence/paragraph. If we get a good understanding on what the world is going to be like from the get-go, we can then determine what the story will be like. Writing is different from visual arts in that a picture's usually not accompanying the text. From a glance, we can (usually) tell what the picture or a movie looks like, and what its atmosphere is. Stories can be the same thing, but it goes much more deeper, and it can take time for the plot to pop up. First impressions don't go hand-in-hand with stories very well, but it's human nature to just take a look at something and if we aren't interested in the first few seconds, we move on. In a way, you have to really make it your best effort to capture the attention of someone and keep them there for longer than a minute. Movies and pictures can get away with looking half-assed because we at least got to see the full picture. Books don't get that privilege from the start. The reader has to read far along in just to get an understanding of what the story is about.

This is why your first chapter is very important, and must be handled with care. One slip at the starting line will make people look away, or laugh at you for making a "mockery" of yourself. That's why I like the hook to be sharp as possible without being too sharp that it becomes acupuncture so that way I have people looking at what jabbed them. And if it's shiny/pretty enough, they'll look even harder. Next thing they know, they're hooked, whether they want to be hooked or not. Does that make sense?

Matori

THE QUEEN IS BACK

This for me is seriously the hardest and often most intimidating part of writing a story- I have no problem writing once I really get into it, but it's putting down those first few words that's hardest. I will have to agree with other posters here, especially Kutie Pie, that a hook is really important, and I tend to open my stories either with some dialogue that sets the tone for the rest of the story, in media res during a scene that will later affect the whole story, or with a brief paragraph giving background on a major character and possibly insight into their thoughts. Occasionally I'll combine all three, like I did with Survival- the story started with a paragraph discussing Persian as a species, followed by a paragraph specifically about Giovanni's Persian and their Pokemon/trainer relationship, and finally cutting to the action that would ultimately set the events of the story into motion.

With those three elements, it was made clear what the story was about: 1. Persian 2. Giovanni's Persian, more specifically, the bonds the two share and 3. a freak accident and the consequences that followed. I think a lot of readers decide on whether they'll want to stick with a story based on the first few paragraphs- I've put aside books or skipped short stories in anthologies if the opening lines don't grab my attention or present to me anything I care about- and so I make sure to grab the reader's attention with something to draw them into the story, and more importantly the world I'm trying to create for it, and keep them going.

Meeker

It needs a fence.
Maybe to an extent. I mean, I don't expect an elementary school student to write the work o Shakespeare, but I'm only 15, and apparently write pretty well (based on what I've been told). I started about 2010, gave up, got back into it in late 2011/early 2012, lost interest, then got back into writing again in late 2012. Story of my life right there.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH

Depends what story I'm writing. Many of my one shots are on the fluff side, so I tend to have the start be lighthearted. For Nothing, Everything I started with the main character reading something (that was already shown in the games) as there will be a lot of mystery and history talk going on. Another fic (not Pokemon) I started with a radio announcement actually as a lot of political and military stuff is going on. Sometimes I'm unsure how I'll open the story with the beginning paragraphs, so I tend to write ahead and then go back to writing and rewriting the start until I'm satisfied and believe it'll hold the readers' interest.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan

With great difficulty.

Seriously though, the openings of stories/chapters/scenes are always the hardest parts for me. It's the first several lines in particular. You need to establish the tone, scene, and setting. As people said, the opening of a story needs to leave a strong first impression. People do tend to subconsciously judge a book by its cover, or in this case, the first lines, so there's a lot of pressure. I try my best to have an intriguing prologue, when possible.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
I can't believe I am just now requesting to join. I have shamed and brought dishonor upon my family.

Why you like fanfic/writing

Ever since I read my first fan fiction on here I just loved the idea of coming up with my own version of events in certain fandoms. Ever since I could write, I've been writing stories. I constantly have ideas in my head and when I can express those ideas through characters and plots it gets me amped. I don't know how to explain it really. Like a lot of people, my first fan fiction was a bust. It got a pretty big following though and I have no idea why. My second story was much for successful and satisfying for myself. I call it Pokemon Academy: Dedication through Light and Darkness. It was my first finished fic and one that I was very proud of. If you want to take a look at it then I wouldn't mind. A few years later I attempted to rewrite the story completely under the title Remix: Dedication through Light and Darkness. I only managed to get seven chapters in. Now I'm on my third fic which is another that I am very proud of. It is entitled Hero's Bond and it takes me back to my journey fic roots. Take a look if you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.