• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly.Braviary

Well, if I was really going to join a club, I could do worse.

I hope.

Why you like fanfic/writing: 'Tis my lifeblood! No, Siriusly. I love books. Can't live without 'em. Of course, one unfortunate day, I ran out of books to read, and so I began to write my own Pokemon novel. Or Digimon. Or Power Rangers. I don't remember, I was like nine. Yes, I was nine when I started writing, which explains why all my older stuff is pathetic. But now I've matured hopefully, and so (again, hopefully) has my writing! And I'm going to be graduating by the end of next year, and I've seriously begun thinking about what I want to do with my life, and I've decided to pursue a career in literature. Which is a fancy way of saying I want to write fanfiction forever.

And, because I'm bad*ss, I'mma answer all the topics we got as well, even though I'm not a member (yet).

Fess up, kitties. What was your first story about?: I ... don't remember. I've written so many horrific ones that ... yeah, I forgot. It was fanfiction, that much I remember.

Which authors do you look up to?: As much as it pains me to say this, Enid Blyton defined my childhood *gag* Of course, I can't stand her stuff now ...
When I'm old and my grandkids ask me this, I'll say, "JK Rowling," and they'll say, "After all this time?" And I'll say, "Always."
Rick Riordan is pretty good, but lately his plots have been falling into the same routine. I'll admit, though, The Mark of Athena was pretty good. Hey, don't judge me, I'm a teenager.
Cassandra Clare, writer of The Mortal Instruments. She's pretty good, but her novels tend to be a little melodramatic.
Tolkien and Lewis, because they, quite simply, define the high fantasy genre.
Every time I read Jurassic Park, I want to go back and read it again, and then The Lost World after that. Then The Andromeda Strain. Then Sphere. Then Prey. Then Micro. Because that's just how good Michael Crichton is. And how can I forget Congo?
.... That's it. I think.

Did you ever write a story to tell a story, or to make a point about whatever, or both? How subtle were you? Did it go well, or did you slip?: No, sorry. Too bad.

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
Here's an idea I got for this!

How did you get an idea for a fic? Does it come to you? Or if you get inspired?

Toxic Nightshade

GET TO DEL TACO
These... are my people. *-*

Why you like fanfic/writing: Writing has been my creative outlet since i was in third grade, (currently in 8th, for all those stalkers out there.) it let's me express myself in a creative way. I know i'm young, but i really have a passion for writing and i really want to do it for the rest of my life. In my free time i write my stories until my hand starts cramping up. Literally. It calms me down and let's you basically describe and live in an entire world that you create. That your little demented mind thinks up. In stories there are no limits to what can happen, which makes me feel happy. I'm personally a fantasy-fic kind of girl, and in real life there are no unicorns, no fairies, nothing magical. When i'm writing i simply shut the real world away and engulf myself in my own imagination.

......I have no idea if i should answer topics already in this post, so i'm just going to sit here... .____.

Dragonfree

Just me
Hello! Wow, there's lively discussion in here.

(When I saw people talking about a Fan Fiction Mafia, I thought it meant mafia the game and was like WHY WAS I NOT INVITED. But a club is fine too!)

Well. I'm Dragonfree; I write the hellishly long silly ten-year-old trainer fic in my sig, the weird experimental deconstructiony Pokémorph fic also in my sig, and a Pokémon one-shot once in a blue moon. I've also written a couple of original short stories and started a lot of longer original stories when I was younger. Technically I've dabbled in short stories for a few other fandoms too, but I tend to be unhappy with them and not finish them or post them anywhere because I'm wayyyy too perfectionistic about characterization and when I try to write canon characters I usually don't feel like I'm getting their voices quite right.

I also mod the fanfic forum and occasionally write extremely nitpicky reviews or host contests or, best of all, write extremely nitpicky reviews for entries in contests. (Speaking of which, we're going to have the next contest soon, I swear! I'm waiting for the awards to be over so they don't overlap.)

Why I like fanfic/writing

Because fiction is pretty much my favorite thing in the world. Wrenching real emotion and investment out of real people by telling stories about imaginary things happening to imaginary people is magic. The human capacity for doing that sums up everything I love about humanity. People who don't see the magic of pure storytelling and think fiction is only good for making points about the real world make me sad.

Fess up, kitties. What was your first story about?

The first proper story I wrote was when I was seven and was obsessed with horses; it was about a horse named Faxi. At the beginning, his father died and he inherited a bunch of things it made no sense for a horse to have that were never brought up again. Then he was suddenly captured by two men who just walked up to him (IT WAS A TRAP!). Then he was going to be shot because he couldn't work anymore, but was saved by a tiger. Then it turned out a rock had gotten stuck in his eye! But soon it fell out. Then he met a mare who loved him and had a foal. One day she discovered his two horse enemies were going to kidnap their foal, and he swore that would never happen! But he was kidnapped anyway the next day. Then he went to save the foal, but when he did, his enemies captured him (IT WAS A TRAP!). They made him work all day carrying his enemy's foal around. Then the mare came and saved both of them, after realizing that they were making Faxi keep watch during the night while they slept (totally no security hole there). Then I wrote a ridiculous dramatic poem about Faxi and his enemy dueling. I was writing stories about horses named Faxi for years; they were supposed to be the same horse, but the continuity didn't make much sense (its free-standing sequel was about him being best friends with a squirrel and fighting the evil weather-controlling Lightning Horse and his Thunder Gang, with neither his family nor his enemies from the first story anywhere in sight).

The first fanfic I wrote was when I was eleven and was mostly an essay about how amazing my terrible fake legendary hybrids Molzapart and Rainteicune were. I thought I was a total genius for thinking up the concept of writing stories about Pokémon. Although a few years before that, I'd been making up a story about a boy bamfing into the Warcraft II universe and making friends with one of the paladins while basically going through the story of the game, but I never wrote that down.

Which authors do you look up to?

There are lots of books I like, but I don't really tend to think about the authors much. I look enormously up to several fanfic authors, but for proper book authors I'm mostly just like "oh, I like what they write." Probably because for the most part I don't know much about them other than what they've written.

Did you ever write a story to tell a story, or to make a point about whatever, or both? How subtle were you? Did it go well, or did you slip?

I wrote a silly short one-shot called "The Forum" in 2005 because I was annoyed at the silly rules at another forum. It was not subtle at all; it was written in a kind of satirical heavily lampshady bedtime story style and was about an Abra who founded a forum, evolved as he got more members, and stabbed rule-breakers with his spoons, eventually forgetting all about the image of a perfect community he'd started out with and continuing to blindly enforce the rules he'd written down without regard for whether they made any real sense.

It was a really childish thing to do, but I'd still endorse the general message of it. It wasn't really a proper work of fiction at all, though; it was just a ranty analogy formatted as a story, which made random use of an inside joke I have with a friend of mine about crazy Kadabra stabbing people with spoons. I wouldn't post it as fanfiction today, but I'm still kind of fond of it. Parts of it.

Usually I just get ideas from random things I've been reading/thinking about that seem like they would be interesting to write about.

Because I actually went and read/skimmed the whole thread, some comments on the organically emerging discussion topics we've had:

I didn't read Redwall or Animorphs or any of the things that made up everyone's childhood, because I live in Iceland. My favorite books growing up were Icelandic children's fantasy by a friend of my mom's that she introduced me to, and (Icelandic translations of) The Neverending Story and Momo by Michael Ende, which my best friend introduced me to and are some of the best children's novels ever written. It makes me sadface when people think The Neverending Story is a movie (note: the movie covers the first half of the book, grossly misses the point and tacks on an ending that's about as antithetical to the point of the book as possible).

I did also read Artemis Fowl, a bit later; today I recognize that it's anvilicious and not well written and the toilet humor made me cringe even at the time, but it's actually still a guilty pleasure because for some reason the parts where characters are horribly mutilated and/or killed really press some of my buttons in ways that even similar scenes in objectively better stories don't. So basically in my memory the series goes something like this:

- Fairies! Also ENVIRONMENTALISM.
- That scene where Butler gets beaten into a bloody pulp by a troll, and is magically revived because somewhere in the splatter of gore his heart is still technically beating
- Something about Artemis's dad
- The scene where Butler is shot and stuffed in a freezer
- The scene where (spoiler) is slowly crushed to death while his magic keeps automatically healing the damage and prolonging his agony until it runs dry and he dies
- Something Opal Koboi something
- Something with imps and Artemis becoming annoying and getting a love interest
- Lemur! Also ENVIRONMENTALISM.
- Time-traveling shenanigans!
- ENVIRONMENTALISM.
- And also something where Artemis has several broken bones. I don't remember what was going on in that scene exactly but I enjoyed it.

...granted, the last one I read was The Time Paradox several years ago.

I'm on board the not-liking-most-romance boat. I find it really tedious when people decide there has to be a romance in everything and the main character has to have a love interest. Which isn't to say romance is bad in itself - love and attraction are important and interesting aspects of human emotions and behaviour, all sorts of fun things can be done with them in fiction, and sometimes characters organically have great romantic chemistry. It's just it keeps getting stuffed in where it doesn't contribute anything.

The actual romance genre isn't my thing generally - if it's all or mostly about the characters getting together, it tends to fail to actually hold my attention and get me to care, so I tend not to seek it out. Shipping fic is actually at an advantage in that regard because then I may already care about the characters and their chemistry and be sold on the idea of the romance before it starts, which means it can just be short and sweet instead of trying to wring a whole novel out of the relationship (which I suspect I'd find horribly tedious even if it were about characters I already ship like nobody's business). Sadly, as I said above I'm very picky about characterization, and most shipping fic feels horrendously OOC to me, so I still don't read much of it.

Meeker said:
My first story was Auðn (pronounced: eye-ethn
But... it's not pronounced even remotely like that. D: It's one syllable!

Last edited:

gorgonfish

ribbit-ribbit

It's rare that an idea ever comes to me out of nowhere. There's something that sparks my interest like a reading a cool trope or imagining a random scene in my head. Then it sort of builds up like a snowball in my head, it becomes larger as new ideas stick to it. Zen and the Art of Pokemon Training, was first inspired by the thought of subverting the cliche of the new trainer who ends up being the Chosen One who has to save the world because the Pokemon Gods tell them to do it. For 'reasons', Arceus and his ilk don't really care about humans. The new trainer unfortunately catches the Pokemon who is the Chosen One and gets 'gently guided' to places so that events can transpire for that Pokemon to do their prophesied duties.

A sci-fi show that aired a few years ago influenced how the history of the Pokemon world was built. Breaking Bad helped create one of the human antagonists (luckily there was already a pseudo-drug in the Pokemon canon). Books and movies that fit the tone or genre I was going for added flavor to the story: Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds, Sunshine, The Jungle Book, etc. JX Valentine's insanely good one-shot a couple of months ago, The Leaf Green Incident, and the link she provided to the SCP Foundation were what pushed me to up the horror elements.

An idea can come to you, but an idea by itself isn't really a story. That's my theory on why there are so many journey fics that fizzle out and are never completed. Such-and-such trainer goes on an adventure to catch Pokemon, obtain gym badges, and defeat Team [Noun]! If you confine yourself to the strict outline of the canon plot, there isn't much room for innovation or fun, honestly.
/ramble

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
You guys make me really happy ^^. I was kinda worried about the response I would get from my rant (especially since I wrote it pretty late), but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

It depends on the story, but I tend to get ideas just from listening to music and imagining a character or two matching up to that particular piece--these are usually reserved for one-shots, but if I like it enough and can come up with a bigger story, then I turn it into an actual story.

Most of the time, it just comes to me when I least expect it. You all already know how Forsaken came to be, but I've gotten a lot of inspiration for what goes on in the story in random moments, mostly when I'm in church (I shouldn't be thinking of my story during sacrament to begin with, but each time it caught me by surprise, so... xD). So here's a couple more examples, involving original characters:

How I got an idea for my Looney Tunes story, I was just drawing Marvin the Martian when a female Martian original character pretty much just walked in and said, "Marvin needs more love." I fell in love with the character and story since (though I haven't written more of it in a long while). For "Mag Mell", it was the night after I saw Wreck-It Ralph, and I couldn't get the movie out of my head. So I just imagined an odd little scenario about a female character just talking to Ralph and revealing an ironic twist to her character. I don't think I knew what she looked like in the dream, so I just decided to draw a little chef character from scratch, and when I asked my brother for a name for the game (and after a laughing fit), Scrumples was born.

Some other times, ideas come to me just by thinking of my own personal experiences, or my own thoughts on how I saw things. I'm big on friendship, and it was really huge around middle school, which is why my first story was about friendship. I still enjoy writing about friendship, but it's not as prominent as it used to be (as you can see why). Family themes in my stories are also pretty common because family is a big part of my life. But I don't use my own family for reference, out of fear the family could turn out to be a bit of a goody-two-shoe family (because we're Mormon, and that's what people think of when they think of Mormons for the most part xD), or the family could turn out really odd, since we're a pretty bizarre family. Mom jokes that we're pretty much stuck in Bizarro World, since we kids don't really act normal.

But twins are common in my stories, since I have twin brothers, so that's one trait I take away from my family, I suppose |D. I've tried my hand at writing autistic kids, but I gave up on that since I was mostly just copying my brother(s) and it didn't feel natural. But not surprisingly, quite a good number of my original characters actually do have autistic traits if not my own Asperger-traits, so...

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH

I get ideas/inspirations for my stories all over the place. My two Pokemon chaptered fics Heart of the Sea and Nothing, Everything were inspired by other novels and I did Pokemonized versions of them, lol. My many one shots from other fandoms mostly prompts from different journal (Livejournal and Dreamwidth) communities that focused on writing.

Last edited:

Matori

THE QUEEN IS BACK
Here's an idea I got for this!

Ideas come from all over the place for me. Sometimes I'll see a plot in a book I'm reading or a TV show I'm watching and be inspired by that, sometimes I'll hear a song lyric and want to expand on it (my Christmas fic from this previous Christmas was partly inspired by my holiday playlist full of Rat Pack and TSO Christmas albums, and the song lyrics in each chapter's header came from said albums), sometimes I'll just let my mind wander at work and situations for my characters to find themselves in surface.

My high school creative writing teacher's wisdom was "you can't write if you don't read" and I think it's pretty good advice- if you want story ideas, immerse yourselves in stories, not just read, but watched and listened to. I'm a big proponent of the idea there have never been new stories, just the same stories that have been told throughout time told with different characters in different places, and so I make a point to feed my imagination on as many stories as possible.

Phoenixsong

you taste like fear
(Speaking of which, we're going to have the next contest soon, I swear! I'm waiting for the awards to be over so they don't overlap.)

Yaaaay *tents fingers*

...anyway. The other discussion thingers. Yes.

Which authors do you look up to?

Can't really think of anyone off the top of my head, probably because I read so infrequently these days. :/ Gonna have to say Brian Jacques by default, if only because the Redwall series was what really pushed me into fiction and worldbuilding and wanting to be halfway decent at it, but I'll admit I've definitely read better authors. I just... never remember anything about them, or if I do I've read so little of their body of work that I can't say I look up to them specifically. Like Pratchett, for example. I've read all of one of the Discworld books, I adored it, I enjoyed the two made-for-TV movies I saw as well and want to read the books those were based on, and I even have another book sitting on my shelf... I just haven't gotten around to it yet. And as wonderful as everyone says he is, and as much as I love what I did read/see, it just feels weird to say I "look up to him" as an author because... I've read one book. Yeah.

Did you ever write a story to tell a story, or to make a point about whatever, or both? How subtle were you? Did it go well, or did you slip?

I can't say I have. Not consciously or that I can remember. Heavily thematic stories and things that come from personal experience are interesting, of course, but they're not my thing. Some of my stuff may twist itself into being preachy about something it was not originally intended to be preachy about, I guess. I have no idea how "well" they'd "go" because hahahahaha me posting fanfiction oh that's rich.

My ideas come from aaaaall over the place, man. I-D-E-K. The biggest deliberate idea-generator I can think of is "how can I take something that has nothing to do with trainerfic and shoehorn it into a trainerfic such that it becomes awesome", 'cause I love me some weird-as-hell trainerfics; a long chain of semi-related and mostly-scrapped trainerfic ideas is what led to my current wip trainerfic/2010 NaNo, Oh, How the Mighty Have Fallen. "how i mess up trainerfic" was also part of the inspiration for a probably-oneshot-but-maybe-longer? I should've been finished with by today hope to start soon. All my other stuff, though... random ideas just hit me at wildly inappropriate times, I guess. The least out-of-left-field of my other projects is that fantasy worldbuildy thinger I mentioned earlier, because that was a conscious decision to experiment with two things I really like, but even that has its roots in a different fantasy worldbuildy idea that randomly came to me during a history class. Then there's the one that happened while browsing the glitch articles on Bulbapedia, the one that happened while browsing the cryptozoology articles on Wikipedia, the one that happened while reading a certain webcomic and the one Neil Gaiman short story I've ever read, the one that happened while doing a simple daily task in Humilau City, the one that happened when I took a thought about revival spells in video games too seriously, all the ones that happened due to totally random lines that sprang unbidden into my head...

...yeah. Anything is fair game, basically. It's kinda nice because I'm never at a loss for ideas, but then it does mean that the ol' writers' curse of "too many ideas nooooo" leans on me pretty hard. Most of them tend to get lost in the shufflings of my abysmal attention span, too. :/

On romance in fiction/the media: Honestly, romance in general just isn't my thing, whether it has to do with shipping or original stuff or the five million and three Harlequin-esque novels my mother has stacked around the house and which keep falling down and blocking my door, clean up once in a while why don't you mom. While I acknowledge that love is an important part of human interaction, and while I don't have a problem reading about characters who are in a relationship of some sort in and of itself, I'm just not interested enough in the nuances of it or in spending pages and pages going on about it—even when it is well-thought-out and well-written—to actively look for it or to stay and read if I accidentally stumble across it. Reading about sex and more passionate romantic stuff also tends to make me a little uncomfortable in general, not so much out of prudishness or because I think it's horrible how it's bandied about as it is just a minor squick.

That said, I do agree that the "power couple" and overemphasized romance/sexuality situation in modern fiction is troubling... but less because I'm concerned about the purity of love (or protecting the virgin eyes of kids or whatever) and more because, frankly, that's true of a lot of things these days. It sucks when people shove anything into the spotlight of a story when there are better ways to approach it or better things to be paying attention to, because when you get down to it that's just plain bad/obnoxious storytelling. IMO romance isn't in any worse shape than, say, violence, so it's not a specific sticking point with me.

I had a "hey guys halp I need quick opinions" question, but it can wait until a post in which I'm not jabbering on about the backlog of earlier discussion topics.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
@topic

My inspirations come from the weirdest places. However, most of my fic ideas are just... plot bunnies. This may be after I finish watching an episode or reading a Bulbapedia Article about an episode (not enough time) and WALAM! My idea joins up with a tiny sparking idea and they create a huge flame. My current idea (I have 3 going on now) - the latest one - came from reading a fic about Team Rocket and the Bulbapedia Article on 'Crossing Paths' where Jessie parts with Dustox. That sparks an idea for me, and boom, there, it goes off! The second ideas comes from after watching the Team Galactic Three-Parter and BOOM! Idea rushed through me like rainbows, and obviously it's going to be about Cyrus and Team Galactic. The final one was after I saw the pictures for Dawn's special, and WALAM! New idea for a fic, with Dawn in it (actually it was with my other idea, but I decided to separate it thanks to an advice from a friend).

Honestly, plot ideas comes from everywhere, and I really don't need to look into more ideas, because I usually don't have the time to finish the ideas I have on hand XD

Diddy

Renegade
I did also read Artemis Fowl, a bit later; today I recognize that it's anvilicious and not well written and the toilet humor made me cringe even at the time, but it's actually still a guilty pleasure because for some reason the parts where characters are horribly mutilated and/or killed really press some of my buttons in ways that even similar scenes in objectively better stories don't. So basically in my memory the series goes something like this:

- Fairies! Also ENVIRONMENTALISM.
- That scene where Butler gets beaten into a bloody pulp by a troll, and is magically revived because somewhere in the splatter of gore his heart is still technically beating
- Something about Artemis's dad
- The scene where Butler is shot and stuffed in a freezer
- The scene where (spoiler) is slowly crushed to death while his magic keeps automatically healing the damage and prolonging his agony until it runs dry and he dies
- Something Opal Koboi something
- Something with imps and Artemis becoming annoying and getting a love interest
- Lemur! Also ENVIRONMENTALISM.
- Time-traveling shenanigans!
- ENVIRONMENTALISM.
- And also something where Artemis has several broken bones. I don't remember what was going on in that scene exactly but I enjoyed it.

...granted, the last one I read was The Time Paradox several years ago.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Although the Artemis becoming annoying and love interest happened in different books. Speaking of... that annoyed me about the books, it introduces Frenchy McGirl Artemis, the time shenanigans (although not the same as the later time shenanigans. There are a lot of time shenanigans in this series) even make it so he loses two years thus making Frenchy McGirl Artemis and him the same age... and we never see her again. Maybe a passing mention is made about them sharing an e-mail, possibly? Other than that, maybe, she just disappears. At least there's awkward Holly/Artemis time shenanigans in a later book that ages Artemis and de-ages(?) Holly and is hilariously awkward.

But still! Where's my healthy, intellectually challenging, non-interspecies romance at Eoin?

anywhoooo...

My favourite pokémon fic, Skogsra (the one in my signature), was inspired by the quote that appears before the actual fic. I read it in the book, 'Let The Right One In' by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It appears during a chapter break or an act break or something. I was at my friends house at the time (there was another friend there and they were preoccupied with playing Street Fighter, so I wasn't being totally ignorant xD) and the story just exploded into my head. When I got home, I started writing it straight away, not stopping until I had finished it. It was a pretty intense night xD

Flame Mistress

So... can I... join? I don't write fanfics that often, let alone post them on the Internet, but I still do occasionally write.

Why you like fanfic/writing: Oh gosh, I don't think I even have a specific answer for this. So... uh... let's see... I think I've always liked writing. Sometimes I manage to dig up notebooks from ages ago, like when I was seven, which are mostly nonsensical stories about these two sisters living on the moon... or whatever. Anyway. Years later, I still seem to have a fondness for writing, because fanfics and original short stories are the way my imaginations manifest themselves. Besides, I can't draw well or anything like that, so it's justified. I've always liked the English language as well. It just seems so, um, flexible to me, if you get what I mean and this is when I make the wrong choice of words again. Although my fanfics aren't really that great right now, and I still haven't developed my own writing style or anything like that, there's still a lot of time for me to improve (haven't even entered high school yet by US standards), and I'm hoping to get an even better grasp of the English language on the way.

Just as a heads-up, I don't really write Pokémon fanfics anymore too much competition /shot. Now I generally get ideas for original stories or fanfics for other fandoms (Inazuma Eleven, for example bet you've never even heard of that before /shot again). It's the actual writing part that's often the problem, though. :<

Now, onto the topics...

How did you get an idea for a fic? Does it come to you? Or if you get inspired?: I normally get my inspiration from random locations I visit, or random dreams I have, or random events that have happened in the past, and then me mashing those up with things I read/watch, whether fictional or non-fictional. For example, one of the ideas I have right now for an original short story is based on a thing we did in first grade back in South Korea, where we had to say what we wanted to be when we grow up (everyone's done that, right?). This boy in my class said that he wanted to become a man when he grew up, which everyone laughed at. Now, almost six years later, it's suddenly jumped back to me after I read a book about a boy dying of Leukaemia, and I decided to take it way out of context and make it so that the boy wants to become a man because he has a terminal illness, and knows that the chances of him recovering are literally one in a million.

Yes, I was lying when I said "topics". I'm only answering this one for now.

Deadly.Braviary

I'm added to the list in the first post, so I assume I'm approved?

How did you get an idea for a fic? Does it come to you? Or if you get inspired?: Most of my ideas usually either build up over time until I finally go, "Ah, what the hell. Just do it," or they sneak up and sucker-punch me in the gut. The idea for my Dishonored fanfic, The Whaler's Tale, did the latter. When I saw the announcement of the sixth gen, though, I was pissed that R/S/E weren't being remade, and slowly, over time, the idea fermented until it finally took form, and thus, Hoenn was Reborn.

Currently, though? A new idea is sneaking up on me, for a Jurassic Park RPG. Yes, not fanfic, RPG, so I'm going to leave that alone for the time being.

How did you get an idea for a fic? Does it come to you? Or if you get inspired?:

A little of both, but most of my work in based off the bad stories I find that ruins a good concept. Most of my stories comes from my thoughts, becuse most of the time I speak like I giving a interview to someone. My work is planned out like that, so I know what I'm doing, For bad stories, I just take the bad plot, and make it good. two of my Pokemon stories and my retelling of Fairy Tail are based off the bad cliched overused stuff I found. You know, ruins a character, plots are rushed, the writers makes excuses for their rushness, don't fix them, and most are just rude or a complete child

How do you portay romance correctly in your stories?

In the past, romance is always forced into the story, and the 'plot' takes a backseat. What do you do make it a part of the series, how do you amke sure the characters you ship don't lose themselves in the process? And how do you now portay them as animal in heat?

Last edited:

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
How do you portray romance correctly in your stories?

With the two characters I ship I try to make sure they're still themselves whenever I write them in romance. The one shots are much easier as I take a romantic scenario and see where that takes them. Several of those shorts are smut, so a lot of times the dialogue will be something I think they would say and relates to them. Having a beta to look over the romance and ask for suggestions on making it better also helps.

Edit: Checking Hero of Ideal's correction, haha well my answer to the "animal heat" question is still the same as I mentioned before. Even with sex scenes I try to have the characters be themselves. Like Kutie Pie, I have them make love because they love and trust one another.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

Pretty sure you can gather how I do it in my rant, but it depends on the story and characters involved (each character is their own individual after all). For the most part, I try to keep it as fluffy as possible. I also like to explore the personalities and see how they clash together, and if they're able to work it out. I'm not a big fan of "love-at-first-sight", so I usually show it as a slow process, though who falls in love first varies from story to story. Though I've noticed I seem to tend to have at least one half of the soon-to-be couple be annoyed with the other half for a good portion of the story until after they got to know each other more. I'm not sure why, exactly. I'm not siding with either the kiss-kiss-slap or slap-slap-kiss, but I think I've tried to meet in the middle in most cases.

If the romance is present throughout, I show it as pure/innocent/sweet/fluffy as possible. I also have some couples where they're very happy together, and they show it, though I try and keep aspects like kissing to a minimum depending on the scene. Dialogue and body language is what I like to explore when it comes to the couple, as it's what makes them click majority of the time.

I know there's one other thing I do, but I can't think of it at the moment. Oh, well.

Edit: Welp, also noticed this part of the quesiton: And how do you now portay them as animal in heat?

o__________O

As... you may have noticed, I haven't exactly written a sex scene. Even then, I'd have it where the couple is just making love because they love each other, and not because it's a duty/spur of the moment--though given my main story, that's explored quite a bit. Explored, but not done... get what I mean?

Last edited:

Pretty sure you can gather how I do it in my rant, but it depends on the story and characters involved (each character is their own individual after all). For the most part, I try to keep it as fluffy as possible. I also like to explore the personalities and see how they clash together, and if they're able to work it out. I'm not a big fan of "love-at-first-sight", so I usually show it as a slow process, though who falls in love first varies from story to story. Though I've noticed I seem to tend to have at least one half of the soon-to-be couple be annoyed with the other half for a good portion of the story until after they got to know each other more. I'm not sure why, exactly. I'm not siding with either the kiss-kiss-slap or slap-slap-kiss, but I think I've tried to meet in the middle in most cases.

If the romance is present throughout, I show it as pure/innocent/sweet/fluffy as possible. I also have some couples where they're very happy together, and they show it, though I try and keep aspects like kissing to a minimum depending on the scene. Dialogue and body language is what I like to explore when it comes to the couple, as it's what makes them click majority of the time.

I know there's one other thing I do, but I can't think of it at the moment. Oh, well.

Edit: Welp, also noticed this part of the quesiton: And how do you now portay them as animal in heat?

o__________O

As... you may have noticed, I haven't exactly written a sex scene. Even then, I'd have it where the couple is just making love because they love each other, and not because it's a duty/spur of the moment--though given my main story, that's explored quite a bit. Explored, but not done... get what I mean?

I see and I meant not, not now

Colt45

Cobalt
Why you like fanfic/writing: It's just a great way to express ourselves creatively.

I hope you guys let me in, I have just recently started posting my first fan-fic, so I'd like to get involved in the community.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Club thread moves fast; that's nice! Even if various things keeps me from replying quickly.

On my deadline, I remember Serebii having the B/W Pokedex info on the American release date, so that's the date I'm aiming for: have them done by the X/Y American release date. Got 74 left today (and one all alone on the Kanto list, poor Seadra).

On romance, it's kind of weird because I consider myself asexual, so romance only interests me as another level of character interaction and I feel really detached at a certain point writing it. I still use it because it can be interesting to work with. Sometimes I even play with romantic expectations like any other technique I use, using it as a hook.

One interesting case I had with writing about romance was when I had a ship pop up in one story's reviews that I hadn't fully expected. I knew it was a potential due to the trope I was using, but it got such a strong following over on Fanfiction net that I worked it into the story too. It worked out in the end, I believe, at least as some extra color.

The main thing is that one needs to consider, in my opinion, is that there are many sides to the relationship. There's the lovers, who need some reason to be attracted to the other, decisions made on how each of them perceives their love, consideration of how stable the relationship would be, decisions on if either of them would have any personal issues that would interfere, and so on. Then there's friends, family, and other potential love interests that influence or are influenced by the couple. And then try to avoid stating any of this obviously within the story itself, using conversations, thoughts, and actions to show it instead. That's like any other social aspect of writing, though.

Although, I don't quite think of it that way. Mostly I just play out various possible scenes in my head and critique if they seem reasonable and entertaining. I would say that love at first sight is cheesy and not quite realistic... only it happened to my parents in real life and they have a very stable relationship, so can't really say that.

Volcer

Shur'tugal
Hello, I'd like to join.

Why you like fanfiction/writing: I read a lot, ever since I was like five or something. Writing is a way to show my imagination off. Though I haven't written much, mostly essays and short stories (I wrote for a Scholastic short story writing competition), I have read a lot of fanfiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.