• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondpearl876

Which of all your fanfics do you consider to be your best work?

I feel like I don't have much of a choice here, considering only 1/4 of my fics are finished. Either way, Survival Project did receive quite a lot of praise while it was being posted. It was a character-driven story with hidden secrets meant to break your heart - and I think I brought out that emotion within my readers on more than one occasion. So I consider it a success.

What kind of antagonist, if any, do you tend towards creating? Is there a pattern to their characters and behaviour?

Mostly I dabble with morally ambiguous antagonists. I don't think anyone can be completely good or completely evil, and I try to show that, even with those characters who are preventing the protagonist from reaching his/her goals.

Creepychu

The horror

Whichever one I'm focused on at any given time, really. Characters and their moments stick with me, but when it comes to my stories, whatever I've already written always seems to pale in comparison to the next idea that really grabs me. That might be partly since I've mostly finished the occasional one-shot, though, so we'll see if that changes down the line.

What kind of antagonist, if any, do you tend towards creating? Is there a pattern to their characters and behaviour?

Haha, I could geek out for hours over antagonists, and I think I already tangented onto them for a bit on a previous topic, but to elaborate, the humanized variety is definitely a staple for me. There's a lot of fun in picking a seemingly absurd position for a character and then trying to puzzle out the trail of decisionmaking and reasoning that led them there, so even if I originally set out to make a pretty clear-cut simple antagonist, some kind of added backstory or humanizing element still tends to sneak in there as I write.

More generally, I love working with antagonists who blur the line between antagonism and protagonism a bit, the kind that are willing to meet half way or even give out the odd freebie to get the protagonists where they want them or the kind who have an equal - or even stronger - claim to the moral high ground in the conflict and can defend their position on reasonable grounds or at least on strong personal principle, even though they're taking a definite stand for the opposing team. Even my more straight-up villainous types tend to at least pretend to be respectable, especially if they're higher up in the hierarchy. Basically, if an antagonist has followers, I like to write them in a way where you can understand why they would have them and why people are willing to give them the time of day. For the individualistic ones, I like to put them in a position where they can clash and argue with the protagonists and each other without directly marking one side as right and the other as wrong.

Group-based antagonism is also a thing I do a lot. A big part of what I love about worldbuilding is setting up all the various factions and their little quirks and beliefs, and then putting them all in a situation where they rub each other the wrong way and watching the sparks fly. While I still try to keep my antagonists as individuals as well, establishing these kind of wider group identities and conflicts is really helpful for lending context to the personal-level conflicts and for making the world I'm writing for feel more alive. It's a lot of help in figuring out personal motivations too, so yeah, I think it's fair to add the more nebulous group/organization-level type of antagonists to my list of staples as well.

So yeah, gray morality, clashing social norms, impersonal group antagonism and ambiguous antagonists of various stripes is the short of it for me.

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me
Do you always try and review every fic you read?

If I finish them, yes, I usually try to review, unless the fic is very old or there isn't an obvious way to submit a review. There are some exceptions, though, when I read something and know that in order to review it I'd have to give it a careful reread and I just don't have the time or motivation to do that.

Let's talk about your old shames. What was/were the worst fanfic/s you've ever written? Leave out no small details!

Molzapart and Rainteicune. It's my eleven-year-old self's endearingly ludicrous first effort at fanfiction, before I ever learned other people had also thought of the idea of writing stories about Pokémon, and revolves around ridiculous legendary hybrids I made up and Ash and Misty's son Alan.

Heh. If I have any tendency in antagonists, it's... not having any. No proper ones, anyway. The Quest for the Legends has, more or less, 1) the legendaries, who are the primary obstacles on the protagonists' quest but not actively in opposition to their goals; 2) the War of the Legends, which is basically a natural phenomenon caused by something the protagonists know nothing about; 3) Rick, who is a very screwed-up guy but whose only connection to the main plot is having incidentally helped the protagonists' goals; and 4) the Mew Hunter, who has so far appeared once before the main plot even started. And meanwhile, my one-shots have mostly been about the protagonists' own mistakes: the trainer in Butterfree is just haunted by their own guilt for leaving Butterfree behind, and while the Snorlax kid in Curse gives Kari the Curse TM, it's left ambiguous whether he was malicious or simply another victim.

Morphic has considerably more standard antagonists in the Church of Holy Truth, but I also think I wrote them in a very flat and stereotypical way at the time, so the less said about them, the better. (I have plans for them to be more interesting in the rewrite, though! And the sequel.)

Prooobably Butterfree, just beating out Curse. I'm fairly satisfied with how I pulled off the emotion, and judging by reader reactions it's managed to pull on some heartstrings, which is the best an author can hope for. I still think the ending isn't the greatest, but I also still don't know how I should have ended it instead.

I have high hopes for the eventual rewrite of Morphic to take that spot, though. I really love Morphic in principle and it has bits I'm fairly proud of, but it suffers greatly from how poorly thought-out it was. The rewrite would inevitably improve on it a lot just because I'd actually know what I was going for from the start.

If I were to consider installments of chaptered fics separately, though, I'm quite fond of chapters 60 and 64 of The Quest for the Legends, the Chapter 9.5 Morphic extra, Dave and Mia Discuss Hotdogs, the Morphic April Fools' Day chapter, and the Morphic AU I've been writing.

Last edited:

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain

Maybe a handful of types at most. But I think I mainly gravitate toward writing the well-intentioned extremist type. Ends-justify-the-means sorts of characters. Even if I don't, those're probably my favorite type of antagonist, and odds are very good I'll be writing more of them.

My spamfics. By a longshot.

Honestly? I can't decide. The Origin of Storms probably really benefited from not being overly ambitious and content-wise is probably closer to the kind of stuff I like reading about the most, while Communication has its share of storylines that I'm still legitimately really proud of and includes my favorite out of all my antagonists.

Also I was only half-joking about the spamfics.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord

Antagonists are like any other character for me - I enjoy writing for all sorts, from more sympathetic types to unabashedly evil and nasty - as long as they have a real, at least somewhat rounded personality. I do know I have more fun writing the unabashedly nasty ones - which may be a problem because the people here seem to prefer the former type and I'm still unsure which direction to go with certain future villains and arrrrrrrrgh Imma terrible writer

Right now? The stuff I'm currently most proud of as a writer that's anywhere close to fanfic is some of my RPing elsewhere, and that was only after I got gud. The closest thing I have to something I'm proud of actual fanfic-wise is Green And White and Caging Destruction, and there are certain bits of the former that feel... weird now. (Though there are bits of my first fic, The Long March Of Time, I'm still rather fond of.)

I'm aiming for Heroes After All (and to a lesser extent Crater Dreams 2.0 and Truth) to be something I can be proud of, but judging from everyone's responses about their old shames and my own history I kinda feel I'm just gonna end up regretting it.

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star

Creepychu said:
So yeah, gray morality, clashing social norms, impersonal group antagonism and ambiguous antagonists of various stripes is the short of it for me.
Pretty much sums up what I had to say.

I do like antagonists that you can relate to, because I don't believe that any human being is truly pure 100% irredeemably evil. And while there are crazy people out there, I feel taht they're the minority, so coming across a passably-sane villain in a story feels a lot more real.

Since the things I've written don't really have villains (bar my current fic), though, I'm not really sure what I would tend towards. My old fic, Demon's Hand, was going to have the bad guy as a demon SHOCKER, but I never got past the second chapter (and ti took me over a year just to upload that >_<)

Ooh, toughie. And not because I think my fics are absolutely flawless.

The thing is, I like the concepts behind a lot of my stuff (hence why I wrote them), but I just feel that I really failed in the execution. I really like the idea behind Drowning, though I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of it and it's probably been done x1000 times before, but I just really liked it. I've always had the idea for a fic, and once I got around to writing it, it's been so much fun and such an adventure and I don't want to stop.

I also liked my aforementioned Demon's Hand, though that's because it started out as a Princess Mononoke ripoff and I really liked Princess Mononoke. I was able to put a more original plot into it, but I was never able to find the drive to keep writing and finish it :V

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
In Holy War, I'm eventually going to have seven antagonists based off of the seven deadly sins, so that should be fun to do. Especially since one's a giant crocodile.

Ooo... I'll get to see Leviathanmon (or was it Leviamon? I forgot...) in action. That reminds me, I really need to read "A Dragon in Shining Armor"...

Tragic. That's it. Tragic. But seriously, I haven't written many fics but one thing that tends to be common (other than SPOILER ALERT: my character Frozen the Ice-type Charizard) is that they tend to be cold and calculating and have..."reasonable" reasons to be "evil."

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Topic time!

Are there any genres you like to read/watch/play and/or write in outside of Pokemon? If so, do they ever leak into your Pokemon stories?

As for me? I'm a fantasy writer. Always have been, likely always will be. I used to think I was a fantasy and sci-fi writer because I also like sci-fi and sci-fi tropes often show up in my writing, but then I looked back and realized I'd only written one straight sci-fi story in my life, and then I looked forward and realized all the original fiction stories I'm planning out have at least some fantasy even if there's also heavy sci-fi elements.

As for whether that influences my Pokemon stories, definitely. I often focus on the more fantastic bits of the Pokemon universe, or take certain elements and make them more fantastical, or even add extra fantasy-ish bits if I think I can make them fit.

Creepychu

The horror
Are there any genres you like to read/watch/play and/or write in outside of Pokemon? If so, do they ever leak into your Pokemon stories?

Straight-up fantasy geek here, though I don't usually draw a very rigid line between sci-fi and classical fantasy. I'm a stickler for applying rules to any fantastical elements I introduce, so even with my straight-up fantasy type settings, you could pretty easily pull Clarke's third law on it and characterize the magical bits as alternate universe science instead. That part definitely makes itself known in my pokémon stuff quite often since, well, pokémon essentially is sci-fi already, it just doesn't spend a whole lot of time exploring that aspect canonically.

For things that I'd tend to think are less apparent, I enjoy the film noir aesthetic quite a bit and I like the frontier life and man vs nature aspects of Westerns as well, though I'm not all that experienced in actually writing for either genre. Epistolary novels can be quite nice as well.

Generally speaking, an intriguing world and complex characters are big sells for me, regardless of the medium, so most things that focus on one or both of those tend to go over well with me.

gorgonfish

ribbit-ribbit

Psychological Horror and Conspiracy Thriller. Love, love, love that stuff. I'm obsessed with urban legends because they usually have more of a mental creepiness aspect than just some monster running around creating gore. Black Eyed Children and pretty much every Japanese legend are my favorites. It's hard to get emotional reactions out of readers, but the slow crawl of psychological horror is wonderful. That moment when what's going on sinks in and for a while afterwards you're skittish and unnerved. Ahhh. As far as thrillers, I take my cues from 20th Century Boys which I'll champion as the best manga ever until my last breath.

Do those leak into my Pokemon stories? Oh yeah. A big influence for Indigo is the Disney cartoon Gravity Falls, which combines both genres I love. My goal is to show kids being kids in a setting that doesn't warp itself to be 'kiddy', but not some grimdark thing simply to grab attention with shock value. Sort of like looking back on fond childhood memories and realizing they're actually far less wonderful than you remember.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload

I guess sci-fi, seeing as Pokémon is mostly fantasy, unless you want to add in its technology, then it's pretty much the same. But in all seriousness, I really like fantasy, mostly because of things like dragons, sages, able to control others at the mere mention of their full name. Yeah, good times. Next to that is sci-fi. I didn't really realize how much I like it until I played the Megaman Zero series, and then I look back and see that I have plenty of things involving sci-fi. Especially sci-fi weapons. I have no idea why I like 'em so much. Then there's comedy. Seriously, if it's funny (not the random funny like those weird internet videos), I'll most likely like it despite everything else in it (an example being the Walking with Dinosaurs movie).

As for leaking well... I try to. Rarely does sci-fi leak into my fics (except the one based on an RP I joined as it was sci-fi). But then again, I only realized revently how much I like it so we'll see. While comedy is just something not everyone can do, even though I really want to do comedic stuff. Highly doubt I can do it though.

Oh and--

Creepychu said:
Straight-up fantasy geek here, though I don't usually draw a very rigid line between sci-fi and classical fantasy. I'm a stickler for applying rules to any fantastical elements I introduce, so even with my straight-up fantasy type settings, you could pretty easily pull Clarke's third law on it and characterize the magical bits as alternate universe science instead. That part definitely makes itself known in my pokémon stuff quite often since, well, pokémon essentially is sci-fi already, it just doesn't spend a whole lot of time exploring that aspect canonically.

I think most of us noticed that Pokémon has lots of sci-fi, plus fantasy. Seriously? A space-time portal machine used on a daily basis? You'd have to wonder how come the world (or the villains don't/) doesn't have robot suits with giant laser guns killing a ton of Pokémon on sight using renewable energy from Electric Pokémon.

I have no idea if this is all right but I'm curious.

Have you ever tried/want to write some other fandom besides Pokémon?

The only posted one I did was an attempt--keyword: attempt--at a comedy one-shot about how I thought the Dinobots (as their name suggests, Transformers who can change into dinosaurs) would act like from rumors of their names in Transformers: Age of Extinction. I highly doubt it's even a little funny. I forgot if it's in the Completed Fics section or not, but I think it is.

While meanwhile I've been trying to write a fan fiction involving the Megaman Zero universe, but...I haven't had any ideas other than from the prompt in the Fan Fiction Quarterly in the form of Levianthan misundersding Harpuia because shippers ship them when they're siblings (I know they're technically not siblings, but so are Rockman/Mega Man and Roll!). Thinking of Phantom instead of Harpuia for some reason but we'll see.

Last edited:
I have definitely not kept up with the discussions here, so I'm gonna attempt to make up for lost time and review several of the recent topics, since I really like them all. Sorry for the long post!

Most of my stories have intangible antagonists, like the main character's personality traits or lack of ability to achieve goals or something, which probably says a lot about the way I approach stories. However, the antagonists I find most entertaining and strive to create are from the "evil but not heartless" stock. I like characters who are totally unashamed of chasing whatever destructive goals they're after but still aren't quite awful enough to be hated. They might have something they really care about outside of their goal or maybe a bigger, more evil villain who makes them look that much better or something. Jerk with a Heart of Gold is one of my favorite character types in general, so I guess it makes sense that it would extend in some way to antagonists too.

This one's tough, since I don't think I'm 100% satisfied with any of my fics. Fad was definitely the most well received, but my personal favorite is probably "White," from Chromatic. It's pretty light on the conflict, but I think that's part of the reason I like it. It achieved the vibe I was going for, I got to write most of the ideas I wanted to, and I (hopefully) made it entertaining while still being extremely low-stakes.

My taste in fiction is pretty unsophisticated. At any given time, it's extremely likely that I'm watching a sitcom. If I had any sense of how to write comedy, all of my fics would read like sitcom episodes, because there is genuinely no genre I love more than comedy that hides some drama or warmth. As far as reading, I'm pretty open to anything, but if left to own devices in a bookstore, I tend to choose modern books that have a kind of hipster-ish, "cool twenty-somethings that go on road trips" type books. It's kind of generic, but hey, it's what I like. As much as I wish my fics reflected sitcoms, I feel like they probably lean more toward the Instagram-filtered slice-of-life books I read. I'm not sure if either of them really come across in my writing, though.

Not in a long time! I used to exclusively write (awful, awful) Dragon Ball fan fictions, but the open world of Pokemon drew me in and pretty much swallowed me up. I don't even really write a lot of original fiction. For some reason Pokemon is my biggest, usually only, and very inconsistent muse.

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain

Pbbbbbbbt yep, let's see... Sci-fi, first and foremost, and what's interesting is that like... surprisingly little of that gets into my fics despite it being basically my favorite genre of all genres. Like it seems like they ought to just be oozing it, but I don't think they really stray into that territory much more than the source material does. I could say the same about fantasy--in fact I think the source material's got me beat on that front.

Body horror's another favorite, and that definitely makes it in. That, and comedy. I think as far as author appeal goes, those're the two main ones that get representation in my pokéstuff.

Oh yeah, loads. Granted, most of it never made it to paper (let alone any sort of word processor--this was kind of a while back for the most part), but yeah. There was Muppet Babies ****, Simpsons ****, Gremlins ****... pbbbbt, what else... ReBoot, Rave Master, X-Men, Dynamite Headdy, Space Ghost... Oh, and a couple of Homestuck... things. One of which will never see the light of day, the other of which would only ever be published after extensive revisions because I have very different headcanons (not to mention a lot more actual canon to draw from!) about the Felt than I did back when I wrote that.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan

Definitely, but it's kind of hard to classify them into specific genres. A whole bunch of different things are to my tastes. So, I would say no, a particular genre doesn't leak into my Pokémon stories, especially because it's been awhile since I've written a Pokémon story.

Well, yes. I've been writing Digimon exclusively for the past two-three years and it's been great. It started when I joined Digimon RPs on this forums. There are other fandoms that I want to try out, maybe, but it's hard to find the time. I've currently gotten a plot bunny for a Pokémon one shot that I might try out though.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord

I already elaborated on my last attempt at writing in a fandom other than Pokemon here. Needless to say I've been... hesitant to try again for a while.

But there's good news! That's been improving, and I've got several plot bunnies for non-Pokemon oneshots, at least one of which I want to attempt in the near future. Currently I'm leaning toward doing a particular Fire Emblem idea.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.

I write fanfiction in exactly the same way as I write original fiction, so pretty much the same influences and themes end up in both. I like genre fiction as much as anyone else, and I suppose Pokémon lends itself to that sort of thing -- you can see giant monster B-movies, spaghetti westerns, Lovecraftian horror (albeit hopefully without the horrendous racism), noir and all kinds of other stuff in various things I've written. But increasingly, the major things that shape my stories are literary ideas; I read a lot of what I suppose is called literary fiction, although I'd dispute that categorisation, and I read a fair amount of literary theory alongside it, and all of that ends up jumbled together in my head with other stuff while I'm writing. There's usually some poetry in there too -- T. S. Eliot and Veronica Forrest-Thomson being the usual culprits. (Hence, for instance, that weird scene with the thunder in A Leash of Foxes.)

In terms of other media, well. I don't watch a whole lot of films, though I always mean to, so there isn't much of a cinematic influence, but I do listen to a fairly wide range of music while I work. A Leash of Foxes was written to the sound of Marty Robbins' 1959 album Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs, which probably explains a lot. As for video games, I'm pretty sure that Fallout: New Vegas, Monster Hunter, and everything produced by both Supergiant and Failbetter Games have all left a pretty big mark on everything I've written in the last few years -- so I guess the genres there would be 'games with interesting stories and/or worlds', 'games that stand up to sustained literary criticism', 'text-based games' and 'games with really cool monsters'. If, uh, if those count as genres.

So, a pretty eclectic mix. More than I thought, even. I really had to think about it to answer, which is why I've maybe gone into too much detail. Oops.

Never. I've never felt the need. Pokémon, I think, has just the right balance of 'this is how the world works' and 'handwavey stuff that makes no sense' that gets me thinking well, what if ..., and no other fandom has ever made me do that, really. Occasionally I dip into other things as a game of style-imitation (notably Fallen London and Welcome to Night Vale), but those are really just tiny snippets, no more than a couple of paragraphs at most, to play with chopping and changing writing styles.

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod

I haven't made many antagonists that weren't just my own take on canon ones. Some aren't very good villains though, that much is true. I don't think there's a set pattern tot hem, besides that they may be more concerned about themselves or their organisation than the effect of their actions.

Which of all your fanfics do you consider to be your best (or worst) work?

In terms of popularity, The Retelling of Pokemon Colosseum hands down. But idk about best. Maybe the latter chapters where I had some more idea about writing, but I did start it over four years before I finished the darn thing, and the beginning was pretty rusty and full of errors.

Not that you'd know easily now because I updated the earlier chapters with edited versions! (I still have to go and do more updating on that note... been lazy/busy I suppose). Said edits aren't extensive by any means, but they do something. I also thing my Fairy Tale story I posted last year was decent, and am hopeful the next fic I will post will be a step up from that. We shall see!

Maybe my submission for my tragedy one-shot competition years ago would be my worst. The concept is probably not the best.

A lot, I suppose, for the former question, and some things would have shown up in the plenty of references. I quite like my fantasy and comedy, and the latter is the more prevalent genre I work in.

I did a fic for the Ace Attorney franchise once, a little one-shot. It was for a fundraiser where a dollar was paid to charity for every 100 words. It was fun! I wouldn't mind doing another AA fic, and had the odd idea for a case, but don't have any current plans to seriously chase that up unless more comes to mind.

Monster Hunter
*nods approval*

Last edited:

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload

Oh yeah, loads. Granted, most of it never made it to paper (let alone any sort of word processor--this was kind of a while back for the most part), but yeah. There was Muppet Babies ****, Simpsons ****, Gremlins ****... pbbbbt, what else... ReBoot, Rave Master, X-Men, Dynamite Headdy, Space Ghost... Oh, and a couple of Homestuck... things. One of which will never see the light of day, the other of which would only ever be published after extensive revisions because I have very different headcanons (not to mention a lot more actual canon to draw from!) about the Felt than I did back when I wrote that.

Muppets? Not that it's bad but I didn't think I'd see someone else on this forum that liked Muppets.

[Imaginative]:[Clockwork];17629298 said:

Not in a long time! I used to exclusively write (awful, awful) Dragon Ball fan fictions, but the open world of Pokemon drew me in and pretty much swallowed me up. I don't even really write a lot of original fiction. For some reason Pokemon is my biggest, usually only, and very inconsistent muse.

Never. I've never felt the need. Pokémon, I think, has just the right balance of 'this is how the world works' and 'handwavey stuff that makes no sense' that gets me thinking well, what if ..., and no other fandom has ever made me do that, really. Occasionally I dip into other things as a game of style-imitation (notably Fallen London and Welcome to Night Vale), but those are really just tiny snippets, no more than a couple of paragraphs at most, to play with chopping and changing writing styles.

Yeah, like I said, I haven't done much other than Pokémon. And an attempt at an original novel (the idea is that it's set in the future when the sun's outer crust exploded and this one girl's ancestors have been collecting bits and pieces of the crust thanks to aliens that are now helping mankind return to the surface of the Earth, but then there are, of course, the bad aliens wanting to stop it so they can colonize Earth). That never yet beyond uh...10-20 pages. I might attempt to continue but I got stuck on a chase scene (which I feel I'm horrid in writing). To be honest, the only real reason I want to try other fandoms is because I really wanna well, do fan work for the Megaman Zero series. XP

I already elaborated on my last attempt at writing in a fandom other than Pokemon here. Needless to say I've been... hesitant to try again for a while.

My goodness, I can see why you're being hesitant. XP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.